Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

***The Official 2013 American Buffalo Reverse Proof(BV1) Thread***......Post your order numbers here

edgaredgar Posts: 886 ✭✭✭✭
2013 American Buffalo One Ounce Gold Reverse Proof Coin (BV1)

There will be a four-week ordering window beginning August 8, 2013, at 12 noon (ET) and ending September 5, 2013, at 5 p.m. (ET).

Mintage Limit: None
Product Limit: None
Household Order Limit: None

So not a limited mintage, but a limited availability..... Here we go again Watch out for the big boys

(l8-)>>

Comments

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i'm considering this. But at about $1,640, based on the regular Proof version current price, I have to think about it. Especially with the recent gold spot price jump. I don't think the "big boys" will be ordering at the rate of the West Point ASE set because of the per unit cost and resale audience. Will this be a modern rarity that I will be kicking my self for passing up? Wish I would have gotten the UHR when it was available from the Mint. But monetary gain is only one factor. It looks like it will be a beautiful artistic piece. Cost vs beauty. A hard decision. My head hurts.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Easy decision for me....not worth the premium and doubtful it will appreciate in the next thirty years. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    dbcoindbcoin Posts: 2,200 ✭✭
    doubtful it will appreciate in the next thirty years.

Really? 30 years? Gold can't go to $1700 in the next 30 years?
  • Options
    ianrussellianrussell Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Despite the ordering process, I think this is going to be a popular issue in the long term. Not to the same degree as the UHR, however, still very popular for a modern issue.

- Ian
    Ian Russell
    Owner/Founder GreatCollections
    GreatCollections Coin Auctions - Certified Coin Auctions Every Week - Rare Coins & Coin Values
  • Options
    ianrussellianrussell Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm also expecting a higher premium for this coin - perhaps $100 more than the normal issue? Haven't heard anything from the Mint about this - has anyone else?

- Ian
    Ian Russell
    Owner/Founder GreatCollections
    GreatCollections Coin Auctions - Certified Coin Auctions Every Week - Rare Coins & Coin Values
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    I will probably take one. I've kicked myself for not buying other special gold offerings like the UHR, so don't want to miss the boat on this one.
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pocket-Rocket Coin!

Gotta have one or two or....
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    C0INB0YC0INB0Y Posts: 627 ✭✭

<< <i>Pocket-Rocket Coin!

Gotta have one or two or.... >>

I'm in too, Miles
    I was ‘COINB0Y' with 4812 posts and ‘Expert Collector’ ranking (Joined in 2006).
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Pocket-Rocket Coin!

Gotta have one or two or.... >>

I'm in too, Miles >>

Likewise..need to keep my FS 70 PCGS rev. proofs in tact image
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    rogerdiehlrogerdiehl Posts: 97 ✭✭
    I would not be surprised if the reverse proof ordering period is cut seriously short due to demand and available supply.

You can say "Product Limit: None" for silver coins, but gold is a different story. The mint has been having trouble even meeting some of there self imposed limits.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,837 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some of my friends are not buying at all this year. Especially my older friends. They say gold is going to drop hard. So I said, "then why not buy some more or sell me yours" She said, I am not selling ANY " I said, "okay, that makes no sense, but I'll buy it darlin'
  • Options
    HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As my second grandchild is due in September I am buying almost anything with a 2013 on it. If it doesn't take off or

If I don't want to keep it for myself it will go into his or her hope chest.image
    " If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't have a single gold buffalo coin in my collection and would like one. This is really tempting.
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭
    I will be in for one. I will probably just keep it sealed and see were they go in a few years.
    Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • Options
    bretts911bretts911 Posts: 764 ✭✭✭
    hmmmm very tempting of getting one is this the first year they are doing this with this coin?
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm in for one, not sure how I'm gonna swing it though.

EDIT: Will this be a one time offering, sorta like the 08 fractionals?
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As popular (and overpriced) as the 2001 Buffalo silver dollar is, it's hard to believe this won't be a winner. If gold goes up, its price will increase. If gold goes down, its affordability and popularity will increase; price will follow.

Gotta have at least one.

Jim
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let the guessing begin: the final mintage will be what?

I'll guess 75K - under the UHR but substantially higher than any recent Buff proofs.

I'm in for two - will buy one 70 and will order one from The Mint as early as possible on the first day of sales to keep sealed.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    CCC2010CCC2010 Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭
    Which would you rather buy at this point? The UHR or the upcomiing Reverse proof buffalo goldimage
    References:Coinsarefun,DerryB,Bloodman,Zubie,Gerard,Skyman,Bestclser1,Lakesammman,Yellowkid,PerryHall,Piecesofme,HTubbs,grote15
    Coinfame,Kaelasdad,Type2,UNLVino,MICHAELDIXON
    Justacommeman,tydye,78saen,123cents,blue62vette,Segoja,Nibanny
  • Options

<< <i>Which would you rather buy at this point? The UHR or the upcomiing Reverse proof buffalo goldimage >>

The RP Buff at $1189 or the UHR at current issue price for the RP Buff.

Short of those two unrealistic choices, the new kid with the thick neck.
  • Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭

<< <i><< Pocket-Rocket Coin! >>

Agreed, i'm all in.
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm in for 2 or 3 let's see where they go. image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How could you not?image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>How could you not?image >>

Can I get an amen? image

• Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,844 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The photos look better than I had expected and I'm a sucker for the design all around.
    i'm in!!!

The 2001 Buffalo Commemorative did well.
    I was lucky enough to get on board with the UHR, and I'm going for this one as well- providing that the mint pricing premium isn't too out of line with what's been happening in the PM markets.

Looks like a stunning coin!

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• Options
    Schmitz7Schmitz7 Posts: 751 ✭✭✭
    How well has the 2006 reverse proof gold American Eagle one-ounce done over the years? The American Eagle, based on sales and collector audience has a larger following and yet that coin has basically followed the rise in gold versus collector demand. As a side note, there were only 10,000 reverse proof American Eagles made for 2006 and none since!
  • Options
    Love the buffalo design. Was on the fence because I wanted the burnished gold eagle. Never pulled the trigger because the Mint was slow shipping and gold price was (is) diving. Thinking it's going to continue to drop, but may grab the RP Buffalo... just because it's just too sexy to pass up ;o
  • Options
    CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭
    I wish the order window was 2 weeks on this one. That would make it more interesting.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sigh, depends on the premium. I keep kicking myself for not getting the fractionals or the UHR, this one...maybe.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>How well has the 2006 reverse proof gold American Eagle one-ounce done over the years? The American Eagle, based on sales and collector audience has a larger following and yet that coin has basically followed the rise in gold versus collector demand. As a side note, there were only 10,000 reverse proof American Eagles made for 2006 and none since! >>

Not sure...I have not been following it very closely....No US Raw Mint set has sold on eBay recently. I believe, my cost for the rev. proof was around $800 & $1600 for the 2 coin set. PCGS FS 70's, however, are selling in the $3k range.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The mint sure finds a way to "celebrate" every year. I think too many products have hit the market over the last decade. Don't know if this will be a hit or if the party is over.
    I may be in for one, but probably would sell it shortly after if I could make a profit.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭
    I think this one will have little numismatic value based on scarcity but I think it will have a small one based on likability. If the price of gold goes back up then it is a winner financially otherwise it will be a nice coin to look at.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • Options
    CMCARTCMCART Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭
    Love the buffalo design image

I bought this buffalo this week and it seems I buy the new ONE image

Abraham Lincoln (February 12, 1809 – April 15, 1865)
    5$ bills are WOW with the numbers - wanted:
    Wanted - Flipper notes with the numbers 6-9 or 0-6-9 ON 1$ 2$ 5$ 10$ 20$
    Wanted - 10$ Sereis 2013 - fancy Serial Numbers
  • Options
    GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭
    I would really like to get one of these, but it will depend on the Financial Deities. Am hoping gold drops before release.
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • Options
    ObiwancanoliObiwancanoli Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I wish the order window was 2 weeks on this one. That would make it more interesting. >>

So would household limits...
    UBERCOINER

A Truth That's Told With Bad Intent
    Beats All The Lies You Can Invent
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I wish the order window was 2 weeks on this one. That would make it more interesting. >>

So would household limits... >>

Two days ..limit 1..
  • Options
    The Mint is in the business of selling coins not making rarities.

Many of us complained over the policies surrounding sales of the 25th Anniv. ASE set and other coins/sets with limited mintages and household limits.

Now that The Mint has fair (IMHO) selling policies - just as we requested of them - many opine for household limits and or limited mintages.

The great issues of '08 and the UHR were available for long periods of time with no household limits yet, despite this, they became great issues.

Just food for thought.

Wishing you all a great weekend.
  • Options
    Great Mint summation and strong buy points, Raufus!!
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The Mint is in the business of selling coins not making rarities.

Many of us complained over the policies surrounding sales of the 25th Anniv. ASE set and other coins/sets with limited mintages and household limits.

Now that The Mint has fair (IMHO) selling policies - just as we requested of them - many opine for household limits and or limited mintages.

The great issues of '08 and the UHR were available for long periods of time with no household limits yet, despite this, they became great issues.

Just food for thought.

Wishing you all a great weekend. >>

I agree with my man Miles!!! image

• Options
    Thanks Guys! Have a great weekend :-)
  • Options
    This is the one I have been waiting for!!
  • Options
    RarityRarity Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>How well has the 2006 reverse proof gold American Eagle one-ounce done over the years? The American Eagle, based on sales and collector audience has a larger following and yet that coin has basically followed the rise in gold versus collector demand. As a side note, there were only 10,000 reverse proof American Eagles made for 2006 and none since! >>

Back in 2007 when gold was at $750/oz, I could sell my Rev proof AGE raw for about $2500 or may be $3000. Today, the same coin doesn't go up in price while gold is almost double at $1280.

I think this Rev proof Buffalo will not go anywhere in term of price appreciation but it is nice to have.
  • Options
    Noobie here. Going to get one as a memento of this year (personal reasons).

Is it better to get it straight from the mint, or get a PCGS first strike pf70?

NOT looking to flip it, planning on keeping it for a long time, but also want to maximize any profit potential in the event i do sell it in 5, 10, 20 years.

Thanks
  • Options
    PatchesPatches Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Noobie here. Going to get one as a memento of this year (personal reasons).

Is it better to get it straight from the mint, or get a PCGS first strike pf70?

NOT looking to flip it, planning on keeping it for a long time, but also want to maximize any profit potential in the event i do sell it in 5, 10, 20 years.

Thanks >>

The U.S. Mint packaging is usually well done...and I'm sure these are all going to be first strike eligible if there's a 30 day window. My vote would be just leave it be as the day it arrives in your mailbox. And it you need to sell in 5, 10, 20 years...you'll have a good chance at making a First Strike 70 of your own.
  • Options
    i was thinking of that, but thats no fun...i would like to actually SEE the coin instead of looking at a cardboard box image
  • Options
    I really want one of these but I'm worried about the predicted plunge for gold to go under 850 in the next year or 2.
    Not a coincidence that the mint chose to release the proof in August when seasonally PM's drop hard in sep-oct.
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,503 ✭✭✭
    I think the mint may make another reverse proof gold. If they did it with the silver reverse proofs in 2011, I think they may do it again for the gold AGE. Maybe a 30th Anniversary Set. That golden goose is too hard to ignore when it comes to making a profit for the mint.
  • Options
    HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    I have a magic number in mind that sales have to be for this to do nicely.
  • Options
    ajmanajman Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭
    Please share.
    Beer is Proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy -Benjamin Franklin-
  • Options
    Yes, please :-)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file