Home U.S. Coin Forum

***The Official 2013 American Buffalo Reverse Proof(BV1) Thread***......Post your order numbers here

Comments

• OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I wonder if the limited window for buying is going to now be a regular thing on special mint issues. >>

I have no objection to that policy as long as they have an ample supply on hand to meet the first day demand.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I wonder if the limited window for buying is going to now be a regular thing on special mint issues. >>

I have no objection to that policy as long as they have an ample supply on hand to meet the first day demand. >>

Seems to be part of their latest marketing strategy. I'm sure it makes things easier for them: put 'em on the shelf and move them fast.

"How many times can a man turn his head and pretend he just doesn’t see?” - Bob Dylan

• RarityRarity Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭✭
    Placed my order for 1 coin at 9:04 and encountered no difficulty at all. Ship date is 09/08/13.
  • 53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭
    I don't see a lot of commentary on the boards tonight about these.

They're beautiful coins, for sure. However, it appears that the way the mint is leaving an open window on marketing, it may be more worthwhile for me to see how high the mintage goes before purchasing just before the window closes.
    HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
  • RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't see a lot of commentary on the boards tonight about these.

They're beautiful coins, for sure. However, it appears that the way the mint is leaving an open window on marketing, it may be more worthwhile for me to see how high the mintage goes before purchasing just before the window closes. >>

Very interesting point! I was not on the forum when the 20th Anniv. AGE set was released. Was there more activity? Totally different ordering system for those, of course. How long did it take for the 3 coin sets with the RP to sell out?
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,370 ✭✭✭✭
    I will probably wait and order a slabbed PF70.
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 17,093 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NGC offerings already..................

Special Offer for All NGC Dealers and Collectors

You can now select the black NGC Retro Holder with the Buffalo label when you submit an American Buffalo 1-ounce Gold Reverse Proof.
    Or, choose the traditional NGC white holder with one of the label options listed below.

NGC white holder label options:
    • Buffalo
    • Early Releases®
    • First Releases®
    • NGC Standard (brown)
    The gold in a black holder is fantastic!!! Of course, it won't match any existing NGC Buff plastic in sets.

There will be some very nice plastic (nice plastic - good lord!) for these to be sure.

I have to say, the OGP for these sets is fantastic as well.
  • AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,370 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The gold in a black holder is fantastic!!! Of course, it won't match any existing NGC Buff plastic in sets.

There will be some very nice plastic (nice plastic - good lord!) for these to be sure.

I have to say, the OGP for these sets is fantastic as well. >>

Agreed. They look sharp in the black holder.
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,490 ✭✭✭✭
    Order BIG. Pay for Overnight Delivery.

Submit for First Strike.

Receive coins, then sell, then go to Barbados!

PR70 should be the order of the day so whomever can strike 1st will walk away a winner.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>However, it appears that the way the mint is leaving an open window on marketing, it may be more worthwhile for me to see how high the mintage goes before purchasing just before the window closes. >>

Keep in mind the mint has stated they may adjust the price for this coin weekly, which is why they're not taking mail-orders. Because it was priced on Wednesday, the cost was $1,640. Had it been priced on Thursday, when gold went above $1300, the cost would have been $1,690.

So if gold stays between $1300 and $1350, the price of this coin will probably rise $50 next Wednesday. If gold somehow rallies between $1350 and $1400, the price of this coin will be $100 more. (Then too, if you think gold will fall below $1250, the mint *might* lower the price.)

If you want to take the strategy of waiting, I would order Wednesday morning if gold is above $1300 to lock in the lower price, and hope you're back-ordered until the end of sales, so you can cancel if needed. Ship dates are going to depend on how many the mint pre-struck, and how many cases, CoA's etc. they pre-made.

I ordered two, my order page says 9/8, and the mint site still says 8/23. I wish the mint would put up a number ordered banner like they did for the ASE sets. Heh.
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,634 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome Backroad!

Threads like this one keep pretty good track of the ordering when a popular new issue comes around, so even if the numbers aren't exact, they will be in the ballpark.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Has anyone considered they may offer this again later in year as part of a 2 or 3 coin set??
  • CakesCakes Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The gold in a black holder is fantastic!!! Of course, it won't match any existing NGC Buff plastic in sets.

Agreed on both the black and the OGP.

To someone elses point yes I have thought they could pull some trickery and offer these again in a set, but I hope not.
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.

<< <i>

Agreed on both the black and the OGP.

To someone elses point yes I have thought they could pull some trickery and offer these again in a set, but I hope not. >>

I would doubt it. The marketing has implied this is a one time deal, one time shot for this coin. Could be wrong, of course.
    expedited delivery is a free, automatic upgrade on all mint purchases in this price range.

"How many times can a man turn his head and pretend he just doesn’t see?” - Bob Dylan

• Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I would doubt it. The marketing has implied this is a one time deal, one time shot for this coin. Could be wrong, of course. >>

And the Mint has always been very accurate in what they say on their site. (Rightttttttttttttttttttttttt)

Didn't they do something like this in 2008 with the Prosperity Set???
  • Ordered 2 - expected delivery shows 09/27 after order has been placed.

Looks like they're taking quite a few orders as the expected date have been moving back quite rapidly.
  • Have you guys seen the pops of the 2013W proof AGE? About 5 PR70 for each PR69. These RPB are hand fed and removed from the press after 3 strikes. Most of these will be PR70. What will you accomplish by having these slabbed and discarding the beautiful OGP?

<< <i>Welcome Backroad!

Threads like this one keep pretty good track of the ordering when a popular new issue comes around, so even if the numbers aren't exact, they will be in the ballpark. >>

Thanks, jmski52. Been lurking on this board, ats and a couple of others for years, just decided to apply for a posting account last month when I was going to post some snarky remark on the ASE West Point set. But I refrained. image

Posting here only because CU has the most active thread on this issue, and it's one I'm interested in since I have every other reverse proof that the mint's issued.

Personally, I think there'll be less than 75K of these pressed. Might be less if the price jumps.

<< <i>Has anyone considered they may offer this again later in year as part of a 2 or 3 coin set?? >>

I personally have my doubts. The Mint is very reactive to consumer complaints.

The reason we have these 4 week windows was the ASE 25th set. The reason I think we won't see another release of the RP Buffaloes is because of the negative feedback the Mint got on the ASE 2012S Proof when it was included in the C&C set. (And with the C&C set sold out, the 2012S Proof appears to be the second lowest regular ASE Proof issue.)

However, the mint did specifically state the 2013 West Point sets would have two unique coins, but make no such claim for the RP Buffalo.

<< <i>Have you guys seen the pops of the 2013W proof AGE? About 5 PR70 for each PR69. These RPB are hand fed and removed from the press after 3 strikes. Most of these will be PR70. What will you accomplish by having these slabbed and discarding the beautiful OGP? >>

It'll match all my other reverse proof 70 slabs.

And I have these ASE 25th anniversary boxes that the slabs fit in very nicely if I want to display 'em.

If that doesn't float your boat, if the mint uses the same packaging as the Proof Buffalo, a slab fits very nicely inside the OGP (without the insert).

Truthfully, if I didn't have the ASE 25th set entombed because I wanted proof-of-lineage (I have these ASE/AGE 20th coins I can't prove came in the 20th sets), I wouldn't be slabbing these at all.
  • CakesCakes Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>expedited delivery is a free, automatic upgrade on all mint purchases in this price range. >>

I saw that so I choose expedited and it charge me 12 bucks....................doh with prior Mint ordering experience I didn't want to chance trying to go back and change it, figured it could have affceted my order.
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.

<< <i>

<< <i>expedited delivery is a free, automatic upgrade on all mint purchases in this price range. >>

I saw that so I choose expedited and it charge me 12 bucks....................doh with prior Mint ordering experience I didn't want to chance trying to go back and change it, figured it could have affceted my order. >>

Call their 1 800 number, give them your order number, explain and they will most likely drop the extra you paid. You want to do this before they charge your credit card.

<< <i>

<< <i>I would doubt it. The marketing has implied this is a one time deal, one time shot for this coin. Could be wrong, of course. >>

And the Mint has always been very accurate in what they say on their site. (Rightttttttttttttttttttttttt)

Didn't they do something like this in 2008 with the Prosperity Set??? >>

No, the prosperity set simply combined two coins which had been issued separately and in other sets. How is this in any way similar to the RP Buff?
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,706 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Has anyone considered they may offer this again later in year as part of a 2 or 3 coin set?? >>

I personally have my doubts. The Mint is very reactive to consumer complaints.

The reason we have these 4 week windows was the ASE 25th set. The reason I think we won't see another release of the RP Buffaloes is because of the negative feedback the Mint got on the ASE 2012S Proof when it was included in the C&C set. (And with the C&C set sold out, the 2012S Proof appears to be the second lowest regular ASE Proof issue.)

However, the mint did specifically state the 2013 West Point sets would have two unique coins, but make no such claim for the RP Buffalo. >>

I doubt another set comes out because of the price of a gold set.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • AbsolutionAbsolution Posts: 336 ✭✭✭
    Hmm noticed there's no 100th Anniversary Logo on that NGC holder. Will they even acknowledge that in the label or is this a "duh" thing where they won't be putting that wording on it?

Wondering because the post about making a separate set might be why the 100th Anniversary logo isn't on this one.
    Successful BST Transactions with: RMLTM79 (seller), Gerard (seller), bgman (buyer), Coinflip (buyer) | Positive Vendor Transactions/Service with: Stuppler & Company (seller)
  • 3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    21,009 coins ordered so far in the first day... wow!

Erik

<< <i>21,009 coins ordered so far in the first day... wow!

Erik >>

Unannounced tracking counter by the Mint. I suppose that will be the norm for future special issues. Totals will drastically decrease....that's my wild guessimage

<< <i>

Erik >>

Unannounced tracking counter by the Mint. I suppose that will be the norm for future special issues. Totals will drastically decrease....that's my wild guessimage >>

especially since its getting close to the end of the FS shipping dates!

Erik

<< <i>

<< <i>

Erik >>

Unannounced tracking counter by the Mint. I suppose that will be the norm for future special issues. Totals will drastically decrease....that's my wild guessimage >>

especially since its getting close to the end of the FS shipping dates!

Erik >>

I believe you meant to say "when" and not since..... btw the 30 day First Strike window does not start until the first one is mailed out by the Mint.
    My 12:02pm order says shipping 9/08/13
    The Mint Website says shipping for these coins is now 9/27/13
    edited to add: What happened to the August shipping?

<< <i>My 12:02pm order says shipping 9/08/13
    edited to add: What happened to the August shipping? >>

my 8/23 was changed today to 9/8 as well. Pretty sure that 9/8 is the earliest date so far as I have seen.

Erik
    I think we'll see 80K-100K in sales. The sales surges will be on Wed. and Thur. right before or right after repricing. On Wed. if it looks like price is going up, on Thur. if price went down. Buyers have the rest of the week to watch gold prices.

• nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ordered last night with no shipping date and I was given a "back ordered" status.
    Hopefully that'll change at some point... I should have jumped on this sooner I guess.....

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

<< <i>Ordered last night with no shipping date and I was given a "back ordered" status.
    Hopefully that'll change at some point... I should have jumped on this sooner I guess..... >>

They all say backordered at this point.
  • AberlightAberlight Posts: 384 ✭✭
    Based on past 30 day offerings with the odometer half the sales take place the first day. Im thinking 45k
  • I think people are ordering early due to the likelihood of a price increase as early as next week.

FS won't be a big deal if everyone is getting the FS designation.
  • My order is back ordered till 9/8, How do I find out when the first coins will be shipped?

What do other members here see their ship dates as?

Also what are the qualifications for being first strike?

Sorry for the noobie questions. Thank for in advance for your answers.
  • HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thoes will be going to HSN and Silvertown.image
    " If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater

<< <i>My order is back ordered till 9/8, How do I find out when the first coins will be shipped?

What do other members here see their ship dates as?

Also what are the qualifications for being first strike?

Sorry for the noobie questions. Thank for in advance for your answers. >>

As of today, the early buyers will see a ship date of 9/08/13.....of course subject to change.
    Your order is normal, like everyone else who bought early.
    First Strike qualification means that the coins shipping to PCGS must be postmarked within 30 days of the initial shipment from the Mint.
    If you ordered in the first hour you should have no problem qualifying.
    What time was your order?
    GB

edited to add: per the Mint......"Order Status: Your order request is in process."
    That's the next step after "your order request is on hold."

<< <i>

Thoes will be going to HSN and Silvertown.image >>

I don't believe the mint plays favorites, they are not motivated by quantity purchased. Maybe one of the big boy members here will chime in to confirm this.

• HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The mint will have these Reverse proofs for sale August 13 at heir booth at the ANA Rosemont Show.

HSN will have them on their show August 13. Who's shipped first. What gets shipped second.

I don't know when yours gets shipped.
    " If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater

<< <i>The mint will have these Reverse proofs for sale August 13 at heir booth at the ANA Rosemont Show.

HSN will have them on their show August 13. Who's shipped first. What gets shipped second.

I don't know when yours gets shipped. >>

Lets hope the Mint will have only order takers, just like they did in May at the ANA for the ASE sets. I have doubts that they are going to lug a ton of coins on site.

Mint press release
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,706 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The mint will have these Reverse proofs for sale August 13 at heir booth at the ANA Rosemont Show.

I don't know when yours gets shipped. >>

Lets hope the Mint will have only order takers, just like they did in May at the ANA for the ASE sets. I have doubts that they are going to lug a ton of coins on site.

Mint press release >>

The Mint usually Sends HQ based sales counter people to the shows.
    Unfortunately, they often know as much as we do.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭

<< <i>No, the prosperity set simply combined two coins which had been issued separately and in other sets. How is this in any way similar to the RP Buff? >>

Simple, they could combine the RP with the PR coin though I doubt it would happen because of the $$$ involved. If I remember right, the prosperity set was somewhat a surprise - not know when the 2008 Buff's went on sale and it changed the mintage of the $25 coin.
  • JohnMabenJohnMaben Posts: 957 ✭✭✭
    We haven't figured out a way to get our coins from the USM any quicker than anyone else. Doesn't mean there isn't a way, just means we don't know what it is, if it exists. If anyone figures it out, PM me. LOL.

John

John Maben
    Pegasus Coin and Jewelry (Brick and Mortar)
    ANA LM, PNG, APMD, FUN, Etc
    800-381-2646

• You guys are going to the ANA pick some up there
  • Another noobie question from me as well. Why is "First Strike" designation important to collectors? I understand that you have to send the coins in to be graded by that certain date and pay extra (?) to get that designation on the slab. A quick search on that internet auction site these first strikes do command more of a price I just don't understand why?

My order was placed at 12:03 with order number 419239XX so lets assume that I would qualify for that first strike. However I can't send the coin in for grading because I am not a member or subscriber or anything right? Also I understand this is a unique situation around this unique coin and mintage numbers and demand and this and that and 70/69 is all speculation right now.

Would the coin be "worth" more if it is undistributed in the mint postal package thing? If so, what percentage would you guess-timate the value to decrese if I did open it?

All that aside. Thanks to all in the forum for posting thoughts and ideas, its always an fun interesting time on here.

<< <i>Another noobie question from me as well. Why is "First Strike" designation important to collectors? I understand that you have to send the coins in to be graded by that certain date and pay extra (?) to get that designation on the slab. A quick search on that internet auction site these first strikes do command more of a price I just don't understand why?

My order was placed at 12:03 with order number 419239XX so lets assume that I would qualify for that first strike. However I can't send the coin in for grading because I am not a member or subscriber or anything right? Also I understand this is a unique situation around this unique coin and mintage numbers and demand and this and that and 70/69 is all speculation right now.

Would the coin be "worth" more if it is undistributed in the mint postal package thing? If so, what percentage would you guess-timate the value to decrese if I did open it?

All that aside. Thanks to all in the forum for posting thoughts and ideas, its always an fun interesting time on here. >>

Quick answer to start u off (typing on phone, others can answer in more detail w/longer post).

First Strike, of course has no relationship to actual order of striking. Dies are changed, orders not shipped in order of striking, etc.

Some just love the labels - more "rare" - in most cases than non-fs.

Significant factor is that a FS 70 got that grade on the original submission. It was not cracked out and resubmitted many times until it came back 70.

Depending on the issue and on the percentage of fs and non-fs premium can b very substantial - 2x+. FS70 premium is far higher in general then 69.

FS eligible sealed coins do bring a premium in general. They can b submitted to PCGS anytime. Selling sealed coins has risks which have been discussed many times here. I've sold many w/no problems.

U should join PCGS so u can submit.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file