Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

The quest to EARN a Mickey Mantle 1952 Topps by the National. **1952 Topps Mickey Mantle +1933 Goude

**The quest to EARN a Mickey Mantle 1952 Topps by the next national**

The hobby keeps my mind off the daily grind of residential real estate sales , property management, being a father/husband etc. I really enjoy the art of the deal.

Well, my brother finished 141st in the WSOP Main Event and won $53,800 and he gave me $500.00 to do whatever I wanted with so after some thinking I want to try something.

My plan is to take that $500.00 and "flip" it until I have enough to buy a 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle. The plan would be to buy the card, in person, at the National. I believe in my ability to make this happen. In this thread I plan to try and let you follow along to make me accountable. We will buyer newer cards, older cards or anything we can "flip" to make a profit. My goal is to attain enough "flips" to buy a Mantle with really good eye appeal.

Of course, there will be times where I buy a card or lot that is less than the total cash I have on hand. I may have two or three transactions going at once. However, I plan to try and keep this simple.

First transaction, I bought this card via eBay for $475.00. This is the Joey Votto Bowman Chrome Gold Rookie / 50.

Got it graded at the National for $20.00

So that puts $495.00 into the card.

The plan was to hold this in hopes of them making a Playoff run but with the second knee surgery we decided to sell it and not take the risk.

Second transaction was the sale of the card.

Sold via Ebay for $1500.00 and has already paid/ shipped.

Votto sold via ebay
** Working on the following sets-2013 Spectra Football Hall of Fame 50th Anniversary Autograph set, 2015 Spectra Football Illustrious Legends Autograph set, 2014-15 Hall of Fame Heroes autograph set. **

Comments

• Off to a great start! Good luck!
  • TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like a cool thread!

Since in all likelihood I will never be in the market for a '52 Mantle, I am fairly ignorant of what they go for. What is the target dollar amount that you think it will take to obtain one?
  • Great Flip Brother!

i love this project.

what grade are you looking for on the Mantle? i saw ONE "good looking" PSA 1 at the show
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • 1980scollector1980scollector Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Great Flip Brother!

i love this project.

what grade are you looking for on the Mantle? i saw ONE "good looking" PSA 1 at the show >>

Well, my actual plan was to try and find the best one I could afford after the year of flipping.

How much is a nice looking PSA 4 cost me Eric?
    ** Working on the following sets-2013 Spectra Football Hall of Fame 50th Anniversary Autograph set, 2015 Spectra Football Illustrious Legends Autograph set, 2014-15 Hall of Fame Heroes autograph set. **

• << <i>

<< <i>Great Flip Brother!

i love this project.

what grade are you looking for on the Mantle? i saw ONE "good looking" PSA 1 at the show >>

Well, my actual plan was to try and find the best one I could afford after the year of flipping.

How much is a nice looking PSA 4 cost me Eric? >>

i would say somewhere around 12K, although im sure the VCP guys can chime in better then i.
    the PSA 1 i mentioned was at 5,500 and the guy would not budge
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle

<< <i>Sounds like a cool thread!

Since in all likelihood I will never be in the market for a '52 Mantle, I am fairly ignorant of what they go for. What is the target dollar amount that you think it will take to obtain one? >>

My goal is to keep it somewhere betweeen $5,000- $10,000. I do not want to buy one that is just authentic. It sounds like a PSA 1,2 or 3 falls in that category but at this point I am just going to stay focused on raising the funds with flipping then the amount I have is what I will work with at the National.
  • PorkinsPorkins Posts: 604 ✭✭✭
    Awesome thread. Will be following along. Very nice start with the Votto. Good luck!
  • addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭
    Looks like if you sold all of you ebay inventory you could get a nice 3 already. Flipping does not seem necessary ??
  • raiderguy10raiderguy10 Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭
    Nothing to say in particular, but love these threads so I'm adding my subscription image
    Collect HOF Autos and Anything Raiders.

"In Al We Trust!"

Looking for Autos of HOFers Charles Bidwill, Tim Mara, Joe Carr, Fritz Pollard, Guy Chamberlin & Bill Hewitt
  • MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    This will be a very enjoyable project to keep track of. Congrats on the Votto. Is that the same card I saw at lunch?

Good Luck on the Mantle quest!
  • bbcemporiumbbcemporium Posts: 684 ✭✭✭
    Good luck with the project! I expect any leftover funds to be spent on more unopened '81 FB at the National
    Registry Sets

"Common sense is the best distributed commodity in the world, for every man is convinced that he is well supplied with it"

<< <i>This will be a very enjoyable project to keep track of. Congrats on the Votto. Is that the same card I saw at lunch?

Good Luck on the Mantle quest! >>

Yes, it is the only BGS 9.5 and it was hard to part with as a Votto fan but the chase is alot of the fun for me.

<< <i>Good luck with the project! I expect any leftover funds to be spent on more unopened '81 FB at the National >>

LOL, I was trying to decide to flip my way to '52 Mantle or a 1986-87 Fleer complete box.

The decision came down to being able to buy a Mantle for less, they will be easier to shop around and find the best one available. You and I both know I would end up busting the Fleer box.
  • cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like a great goal. Enjoy the chase Nathan!!! image
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • cwazzycwazzy Posts: 3,257
    Awesome thread! I look forward to seeing the results!

Seriously, though. It's been an hour and half already. What did you buy with the $1,500 from the sale? I'm tired of waiting to see. image
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey
  • Loyalty32Loyalty32 Posts: 497 ✭✭✭
    1980scollector - Awesome! Best of luck on the quest! I'm doing the same thing trying to pay off my wife's student loans! ( I think you'll be having more fun along the way!)

Thanks
    Craig
  • shu4040shu4040 Posts: 982 ✭✭✭
    300% on the first flip! awesome! great start
  • dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭
    Asked
    "Flipping does not seem necessary ??"

Answered
    "but the chase is alot of the fun for me."
    Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>My goal is to keep it somewhere between $5,000- $10,000. >>

Best of luck Nathan. I will keep watching this thread. Looks like you will be purchasing a 1952 Topps Mantle card that falls somewhere between a PSA "1" (VCP $4,300.00) and a PSA "4" (VCP $11,600.00). That's a huge range so I think you will have a great number of cards to choose from.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.

<< <i>Asked
    "Flipping does not seem necessary ??"

Answered
    "but the chase is alot of the fun for me." >>

Yeah I know flipping is fun I do it myself from time to time. I'm just saying he looks to already have the jack to get the one that he wants. It would be a real interesting challenge to see if he could flip all the way up to the probstien123 PSA 7image Good luck either way.
  • bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    What an awesome start.....this thread made me ponder....whatever became of the other thread where the person was flipping his way to a Mantle??
  • corvette1340corvette1340 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭
    Great thread! Good luck Nathan.
  • Very cool. Would love to see the next flip.

Marc
    Transaction #3- I paid $140.00 for this in Louisville, KY. I bought a large lot and was able to assign each card an amount paid to make this simple. There will be other cards listed with their assigned value.

1992 Donruss Cal Ripken Signature Series / 5000 MINT-

Transaction #4-sold in one day via eBay for $250.01.

We will call it a 100.00 profit to cover the fees.

That puts the total at $1600.00.

• handymanhandyman Posts: 5,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dang!! That is a good damn start!! One more flip and your there at this pace!!
    Good job!
  • nam812nam812 Posts: 10,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you trying to buy the Mantle with the $500 gift included, or just with the profits of the flips?

If my math is right you stand at +$1,100 right now.

<< <i>Are you trying to buy the Mantle with the $500 gift included, or just with the profits of the flips?

If my math is right you stand at +$1,100 right now. >>

I plan to include his $500.00 gift in the amount. However, at the end if I can buy it without the $500.00 that will be a sweet bonus and could pay that forward.

Also, I am trying to decide if I should go ahead and post purchases before they "flip" and keep a running total of cards/cash or wait until the "flip" purchase of the card is made and then post what was paid for theitem and what it sold for in one post.

If that doesn't make sense. What I am saying is I have several cards I have purchased but they have not sold yet.

• fattymacsfattymacs Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭
    Good luck, I look forward to watching the journey!
  • You'll be there by Sept for sure, good luck(even though you look covered image
    Sig: Looking for a recent smr magazine, Please pm if you have one to recycle. Thank You
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Interesting thread, good luck.

Good for you.
  • I dont see any harm in posting the inventory of items youve purchased but are yet to sell....in fact, it might even add to some activity in the cards if we know some of our purchases are going to a worthy cause.
    1981 Topps in Process
  • BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nathan, Good luck this will be a cool thread to watch. BTW look into buying Andrew McCutchen cardsimage
    "EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    I should start a thread where I start with $500 and end with $0! image
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • MrGMrG Posts: 620 ✭✭✭
    Great thread Nathan! Your flips have interested me in some of the newer cards I have not reviewed in some time. I was very surprised on the Votto, as I have been buying a case or two of Bowman Draft since 2002. Time to look through others to determine what I can score on while the market is HOT!

Best of luck in your quest!
    Michael Gaytan (MrG)
    TGF Collection
    TGF Sports
  • MphilkingMphilking Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭
    I should start a thread where I start with $500 and end with $0!

LOL!!!!
  • most impressed....keep it going
    Rick Probstein
    Ebay Store:
    Probstein123
    phone: 973 747 6304
    email: rickprobstein1@gmail.com

Probstein123 is actively accepting CONSIGNMENTS !!
    Transaction #5

This was bought for $250.00 from a local collector that needed some cash.

Transaction #6

I bought these three cards Saturday night after the show back in Murfreesboro for $350.00.

2007 Topps Triple Thread Brett Favre White Whale 1/1.

2007 SP Game Used Kevin Durant Rookie /999 PSA GEM MINT 10

2011 Absolute Cam Newton Rookie on card autograph / 199

The blue glare is from the case/flash of Iphone.

My goal is to sell the Brett Favre for the $350.00 and have the other two cards as profit. I have listed the Favre and Durant and am waiting for football season to list the Cam.

At this point, I have $1000.00 in cash, Nolan Ryan Rookie PSA 6, Brett Favre 1/1 White Whale autograph, Kevin Durant SP Game Used rookie PSA 10 and the Cam Newton rookie autograph.
    Hey Nathan,

If I send you $500, can you buy me a Mantle too by the time the next National rolls around. image

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.

<< <i>Hey Nathan,

If I send you $500, can you buy me a Mantle too by the time the next National rolls around. image >>

Perhaps you could send me $100.00 and we can turn it into a Tom Seaver PSA 7 Rookie. LOL

<< <i>

<< <i>Hey Nathan,

If I send you $500, can you buy me a Mantle too by the time the next National rolls around. image >>

Perhaps you could send me $100.00 and we can turn it into a Tom Seaver PSA 7 Rookie. LOL >>

That would be a waste of your talents. image

Collecting:
  • Awesome Nathan, I've seen a lot of these threads started, but don't think any where achieved. I could be wrong or missed it, but I hope you accomplish your goal, and knowing your motivation you will.

Call me tomorrow, and let's chat, I'dike to make a purchase to help you on your quest.

Mike
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"

<< <i>What an awesome start.....this thread made me ponder....whatever became of the other thread where the person was flipping his way to a Mantle?? >>

Did not make it
    Quest for a 52 Mantle
  • cincyredlegscincyredlegs Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭
    Nathan,

Awesome thread. I have no doubt you will succeed in your quest. Dang buddy, it had to be hard to part with that Votto.

Mark
    Project:

T206 Set - 300/524
  • bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    Interesting read about the previous "Mantle" chaser. He made some pretty foolish trades IMHO, and that is why he never reached his goal. Hopefully Nathan can avoid the bad trades and make it to his goal. He seems to be well on his way, and alot quicker also....
  • Great start Nate! Between you and Kirk (mr mint) you both find the best deals.
    I went ahead and worked a deal over the past 48 hours. He and I have done a few deals in the past and he needed some cash and I needed to get closer to a '52 Mantle.

7th transaction- $1000.00 for

Mike Trout Bowman Sterling GOLD Rookie Autograph / 50 BGS 9.5 <------------------------------- BOOM!

The Trout will go on eBay tonight or tomorrow. He had it listed for $1999.00 but I think I can sell it for around 1300-1600 via eBay.

Ryan Braun Bowman Chrome Rookie Autograph BGS 9.5

Bryce Harper Bowman Chrome Blue Refractor

Ryne Sandberg Topps Rookie PSA 9

Tony Gwynn Donruss Rookie PSA 9

Starling Marte Bowman Chrome Blue Rookie Autograph / 150

I sold the Starling Marte Blue Refractor Rookie for $80.00 at the LCS today. I actually kept the better centered Marte BLUE(pictured above) and sold a more OC one we had for the $80.00. That way we kept the best centered Marte and made a sale.

Took that $80.00 and made a pretty decent score.

We found someone that had a Chipper Jones Desert Shield rookie for many years and asked him what he wanted for it. He said "It books for $200.00 and I will take half." I offered $80.00 and he accepted.

imageimage

At this point, we have zero cash and the following cards.

1968 Topps Nolan Ryan Rookie PSA 6
    2007 Topps Triple Threads Brett Favre 1/1 White Whale autograph
    2009 Mike Trout Bowman Sterling GOLD Rookie Autograph / 50 BGS 9.5
    2005 Bowman Chrome Ryan Braun Rookie Autograph BGS 9.5 GEM MINT
    2010 Bowman Chrome Bryce Harper Blue Refractor
    1983 Topps Ryne Sandberg Rookie PSA 9
    1983 Donruss Tony Gwynn Rookie PSA 9
    1991 Topps Desert Shield Chipper Jones Rookie
    #10 transaction- SOLD 2009 Mike Trout Bowman Sterling BGS GEM MINT 9.5 / 50

We sold this to Miconlegacy. He likes Mike Trout and wanted it for his PC. We got a great deal on this card so we sold it to him for $1100.00 Paypal gift.

Now the total is $1100.00 cash and these cards.

1968 Topps Nolan Ryan Rookie PSA 6
    2007 Topps Triple Threads Brett Favre 1/1 White Whale autograph
    2005 Bowman Chrome Ryan Braun Rookie Autograph BGS 9.5 GEM MINT
    2010 Bowman Chrome Bryce Harper Blue Refractor
    1983 Topps Ryne Sandberg Rookie PSA 9
    1983 Donruss Tony Gwynn Rookie PSA 9
    1991 Topps Desert Shield Chipper Jones Rookie
  • Thanks for the great deal friend. Glad I could help in ur quest!!

You'll be there in no time!

Go Nate Dog!!!
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"
  • BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nathan..... I'm enjoying this thread. When you decide to sell that Marte LMK.
    "EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON