Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

The quest to EARN a Mickey Mantle 1952 Topps by the National. **1952 Topps Mickey Mantle +1933 Goude

123457»

Comments

• Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    That Ruth is one of the best 2's I have ever seen. What is the story behind it? Is it just severely undergraded or is there some stuff not visible to the scanner?
  • Options
    1980scollector1980scollector Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭

<< <i>That Ruth is one of the best 2's I have ever seen. What is the story behind it? Is it just severely undergraded or is there some stuff not visible to the scanner? >>

The paper loss on the back by the "e" in Babe and the front has a very small surface wrinkle in the yellow sky below the bat that can only be seen under light. I'm holding the card and it just can't see it at the moment. However, Matt Miller saw it under light and showed it to me as well.

It is the best "2" I have ever seen.
    ** Working on the following sets-2013 Spectra Football Hall of Fame 50th Anniversary Autograph set, 2015 Spectra Football Illustrious Legends Autograph set, 2014-15 Hall of Fame Heroes autograph set. **
  • Options
    vettfanaticvettfanatic Posts: 643 ✭✭✭
    Great card! I would be proud to own that Mantle.

Jeff
  • Options
    Wow. This completes one of the greatest threads in the hobby. Glad you are at peace with your decisions. Thanks so much for the documentary!
  • Options
    That's a great job 80's. I enjoyed your journey along the way and reading this tonight really made my day. Really well done.
    What's next ? image
    Enjoy the show and this cards. Awesome stuff!
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    Very cool. Great cards, what's next?

Got any ideas?

Congrats!
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Good for you.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Awesome cards ... glad you were able to complete the journey!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    MrNearMintMrNearMint Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭
    I would be proud to own such an iconic card as the 52 mantle and 86 Jordan IN ANY CONDITION.
    For a blue collar collector with a very limited budget, I think it would be cool to say I own any one of these great cards...maybe someday.
    CONGRATS!
  • Options
    PorkinsPorkins Posts: 605 ✭✭✭
    What an enjoyable "ending" to a wonderful thread! And nice story along with the Mantle... Here's to sixty years in your hands!
    Congrats!
  • Options
    leadoff4leadoff4 Posts: 2,392
    Great job! For me, your thread about flips was the best thread of the year...but that's just me.
  • Options
    gameusedhoopgameusedhoop Posts: 3,544 ✭✭✭
    LOVE the Ruth, good eye on that grab, beautiful card!
  • Options
    70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭
    Nathan,

It was great to see you go through your quest and share it with us through this thread. It was even more awesome actually being able to be a part of it yesterday when you were closing in on your goal.

Thank you so much for sharing the experience and allowing me to be a small contributor to it! You picked up some beauties, and inspired many of us along the way.

Dave

Dave
  • Options
    FrancartFrancart Posts: 334 ✭✭✭
    Congrats Nathan!! Awesome cards. Love the character of that Mantle!
  • Options
    MantleFan23MantleFan23 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭
    I loved reading this thread. Congrats on the Mantle and it has a ton of character, and I'm glad that you will get a lot of enjoyment out of it! Its amazing that you were able to complete the quest.

I was commenting to my dad yesterday, that the 33 goudey ruth pose that you purchased is on my list....someday. That is the best 2 I've ever seen!!!

Congrats!
    Jeremy
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think I'd have chosen that particular Mantle to end the journey with but I am very happy for you that you got a card that you get a lot of joy from. That's what it's all about!

And that Ruth is gorgeous!

And you still have $4700 in the bank. Well done, sir.
  • Options
    Awesome finish. I didn't see you as obligated to get the Mantle but glad you did, it brings this thread full circle. Nice work, now go spend that 4k at the nastiest strip club in town.
  • Options
    Big80sBig80s Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭
    Fantastic card there! There's nothing better than a great card with an interesting story behind it. As long as they put a smile on your face - that's all that matters. Congrats again!
    Let's Rip It: PackGeek.com
    Jeff
  • Options
    shu4040shu4040 Posts: 982 ✭✭✭
    awesome, congrats!
  • Options

<< <i>awesome, congrats! >>

Thanks for all the kind words.

For those that asked what was next..........Just going to enjoy the two cards and if something catches my eye I will grab it.

** Working on the following sets-2013 Spectra Football Hall of Fame 50th Anniversary Autograph set, 2015 Spectra Football Illustrious Legends Autograph set, 2014-15 Hall of Fame Heroes autograph set. **
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love the Mantle. One day when I try to complete the 1952 Topps set, I would be proud to have one like it. I have Topps sets from the present down to 1971, with 1970 and 1969 nearly finished. From here on out, I will try to complete one per year. That means 1952 will come up in about 17 years (the year 2030).

My point is that my vintage sets from here on out will be low to mid grade. Any from the 1950's will be low grade and a Mantle like that would fit nicely in my plans. Way to go!

Shane

• Options
    CWCW Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭
    Congrats! Both are great cards, but the Ruth is really a nice example.

Best part is... you have plenty of cash left over! image
  • Options
    MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    Nathan, Congrats again on the new additions, those are both wonderful cards! It was a lot of fun watching these purchases play out.

Tell your son that Mr Bench will be heading his way later this week.
  • Options
    mknezmknez Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭
    Nathan, Congrats on your pick ups!

------
    stupid print dots

• Options
    PLEHRPLEHR Posts: 102
    Congrats Nathan! The Ruth is especially nice for the technical grade.
  • Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    Enjoyed seeing you again this year at the National. That Ruth is off the chart, glad I got to see it in person.

Glad you got to score the Mantle, mission accomplished!!! image
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    I'm considering purchasing a card at Christmas for my personal collection with a portion of the $4.700 left.

I am considering this card.

Hank Aaron rookie

I was curious if anybody had an idea on what they feel is a fair price for this card. I don't have VCP so any help would be greatly appreciated.

The eye appeal is something that is drawing me to this card. However, the bottom right corner area has some paper loss or is miscut? What are your thoughts?

Also, any opinions on what card would be a wise long term investment balanced with something I would enjoy?

You all were a part of this journey and your input is valued.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>I was curious if anybody had an idea on what they feel is a fair price for this card. I don't have VCP so any help would be greatly appreciated.

The eye appeal is something that is drawing me to this card. However, the bottom right corner area has some paper loss or is miscut? What are your thoughts? >>

You are looking at a little over one grand on average, with the upper end reaching around $1,200.00. This card very often has the "OPC" cut on one side of the card. IMO, if the entire right side had the "rough cut" that bottom right portion would not bother me as much. However, since the majority of the right side has a "clean cut" to it, that stands out too much to me. I am sure it was done at the factory, but if someone is not familiar with the card they may think a part of the card was torn off.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    i would keep looking Nate, unless you NEED IT NOW

i think you'll be able to find better looking copies.
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    totallyraddtotallyradd Posts: 928 ✭✭✭
    I remembered this thread tonight, and read through it again and it's still one of my favorite threads from this board. But holy moly, some of those cards I checked up on for current prices, and some of them have really skyrocketed. I believe the Jordan 9 was sold for 1700. Today it goes for around 5500. The Trout and Harper cards, too. However, I'm sure that 52 Mantles have also climbed in the past few years, though I wouldn't know.

A+ thread 10/10 all day.
  • Options
    maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: totallyradd

I remembered this thread tonight, and read through it again and it's still one of my favorite threads from this board. But holy moly, some of those cards I checked up on for current prices, and some of them have really skyrocketed. I believe the Jordan 9 was sold for 1700. Today it goes for around 5500. The Trout and Harper cards, too. However, I'm sure that 52 Mantles have also climbed in the past few years, though I wouldn't know.

A+ thread 10/10 all day.

Oh to turn back time, I am sure everyone would be saying grab that PSA 2 52 Mantle and don't think twice!

• Options
    seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    What an awesome Ruth! Its a 2??

...what this brings to mind is where have a lot of these posters gone?
    Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • Options
    I appreciate the kind words. Around Christmas of 2014 money got tight in real estate and I sold the Ruth and Mantle. It bugs me to this day. I bounced back and have some nice PC items but that Mantle I never wanted to sell.
  • Options
    seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    So about how long did you have them to appreciate them then? What are your thoughts now that the journey is over, looking back after awhile
    Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • Options
    A year and a half to enjoy them. Then I got to see my children have a great Christmas in 2014, buy my parents a nice gift that year(bought my father a 357, my brother a gold coin, had our bills paid with no issue. Looking back my thoughts are whether in cards or not if you will set goals and put in the work you can reach them.

The only regret is not buying the PSA 4 from Jeff at Card Country for $11,500. His card got stolen at the show and I bought some modern stuff that I enjoy. Should have went with that card. We both would have been better off.

• Options
    maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is a guy on Net54 attempting a variation of Nathan's quest for a 52 Mantle.

And to see that Jeff from Card Country had a PSA 4 for sale at the national for $11,500 :o:o:o

• Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 10, 2017 8:10PM

@maddux69 said:
    There is a guy on Net54 attempting a variation of Nathan's quest for a 52 Mantle.

And to see that Jeff from Card Country had a PSA 4 for sale at the national for $11,500 :o:o:o

I remember this one was the first. Started with a 1986 Topps common and got pretty far:

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/608228/ill-trade-ya-this-for-a-1952-topps-mickey-mantle/p1

• Options
    53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭

Great thread...best of luck!

HAPPY COLLECTING!!!