Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

The quest to EARN a Mickey Mantle 1952 Topps by the National. **1952 Topps Mickey Mantle +1933 Goude

Comments

• Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    Sweet!!
  • Options
    congrats on your success. Gotta ask why are you holding the 76 set?
  • Options
    heritageheritage Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭
    Cool thread and a nice read.
  • Options
    1980scollector1980scollector Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭
    Illinifan, I have two reasons.

The first is that I have not had a chance to even look the cards over well. I just paid $50.00 for it and thought that was a bargain. The second is that I don't have a 1976 Topps set in my 70s run of baseball sets and if I just keep it I would have 1970,1973,75,76,77,78 and am just considering keeping it to add a piece to my personal collection.

** Working on the following sets-2013 Spectra Football Hall of Fame 50th Anniversary Autograph set, 2015 Spectra Football Illustrious Legends Autograph set, 2014-15 Hall of Fame Heroes autograph set. **
  • Options
    ChiefsFan1stChiefsFan1st Posts: 845 ✭✭✭

<< <i>congrats on your success. Gotta ask why are you holding the 76 set? >>

Im kinda wondering the same thing. Congrats on hitting 8k!!

Edit: I see why now
    I dont wanna grow up, Im a Toys-R-Us kid!
  • Options
    We bought this for $210.00

Sold it for $350.00

After fees we will call it $110.00.

Total is $8111.00 and I am going to keep the 1976 Topps Set for my personal collection.

For some reason, I just didn't want to sell it.

** Working on the following sets-2013 Spectra Football Hall of Fame 50th Anniversary Autograph set, 2015 Spectra Football Illustrious Legends Autograph set, 2014-15 Hall of Fame Heroes autograph set. **
  • Options
    We bought this for $125.00.

This is the rainbow parallel.

Sold it for $215.00.

We will call that $75.00.

The new total is $8186.00.
  • Options
    I bought these cards at the show in Sharonville, Ohio for $500.00 in March. They all have sold now so I can post them up.

We sold the lot for $700.00.

After fees that leaves $130.00 profit.

The new total is $8316.00.
  • Options
    robert67robert67 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭✭
    How far is the Sharonville show from middle Tennessee? Im south of Nashville.

Thanks and good luck in your quest. A great thread!

Robert
  • Options

<< <i>How far is the Sharonville show from middle Tennessee? Im south of Nashville.

Thanks and good luck in your quest. A great thread!

Robert >>

It is about a four and half hour drive. My father lives right outside of Cincy in KY so we went up to visit him for his birthday. I try to make it to those shows two or three times a year.

Here locally, there is a show most weekends so I stay close to home.

I am doing the Moeller High School three day show in Cincy at the end of April.
  • Options
    I havent been to the show near you in a few years. I need to come by one Saturday with my boy. Thanks for the info!

Robert
  • Options
    Bought this for $40.00 and then he had two good starts and flipped it on eBay for $180.00.

We will call that a plus $120.00 but that was more luck than anything.

The new total is $8436.00.
  • Options
    HoosierguyHoosierguy Posts: 124 ✭✭
    I forgot that was you going for the mantle.Good luck and I will see you at Moeller.Adam
  • Options
    Yes, have made quit a few deals. However, I've just started adding it to my ebay store inventory.

Started with $3,000.00 of my own money about a year and half ago and then the $500.00 my brother gave me about ten months ago.

I've taken everything and just combined it. It just got overwhelming keeping up with it separately.

Throughout this journey I found my passion for finding good deals and offering them to collectors.

You can see what it turned into in my store link below.

It's not the 1952 Mantle but it's something I'm proud of.

My ebay store
  • Options
    ThoseBackPagesThoseBackPages Posts: 4,871 ✭✭
    ahhhhh

does this mean youre not going Nate?
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    Of course I'm going to the national. Just prefer keep flipping and seeing what I can build over time.
  • Options
    Super cool assortment of cards.

Well done.

Robert
  • Options
    totallyraddtotallyradd Posts: 928 ✭✭✭
    While I was really looking forward to seeing what you'd pull in at the National, this is still hands down my favorite thread I've read here. Really inspiring. It looks like your having a great time in the journey too. I'm in the process of doing the same thing (on a much MUCH smaller level) to get a nice Hank Aaron 54. Mostly through bobble heads and lesser value cards.

The Mantle can still be had in the future. I know you can pull it off if the urge comes back.
  • Options
    MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    This was a lot of fun to follow Nathan. I am sad to see he journey come to an end. Look forward to catching up with you at the National.
  • Options
    pdub1819pdub1819 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This was a lot of fun to follow Nathan. I am sad to see he journey come to an end. Look forward to catching up with you at the National. >>

+1 I wish the best, maybe I'll get something from your store.
  • Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So no 1952 Topps Mantle?
  • Options

<< <i>Of course I'm going to the national. Just prefer keep flipping and seeing what I can build over time. >>

WHEW!

SO GLAD to hear that you'll be there image
  • Options
    Updates?
    Has your direction officially changed?...mantle...no mantle?
    Total?
  • Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭
    Flipping can be dangerous from a collecting standpoint, you lose the fun in it and only see cards as dollar signs after awhile.
  • Options
    scmavlscmavl Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭
    I've got to express my disappointment over this. You started with a goal and just abandoned it? Yes, you made many, many good deals but no payoff other than your bank account?

Bummer.

Buy that Mantle.

2.5 is pretty much my speed.
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I've got to express my disappointment over this. You started with a goal and just abandoned it? Yes, you made many, many good deals but no payoff other than your bank account?

Bummer.

Buy that Mantle.

image >>

ditto, kind of a let down. Whole thread appeasrs as bragging now
  • Options
    KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭
    It was always just a scam to spam his merchandise on the front page of the main forum.
  • Options

<< <i> Yes, you made many, many good deals >>

I'm sure many on this board made a few good deals to assist in that Mantle......
  • Options
    sportscardstopsportscardstop Posts: 526 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It was always just a scam to spam his merchandise on the front page of the main forum. >>

I wouldn't agree with this. There were a lot of times he would say "picked this card up for $50 at a show, sold it on Ebay for $90, $32 profit after fees". Yes he did list his cash and remaining inventory, but I really don't think that was the plan the whole time.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I've got to express my disappointment over this. You started with a goal and just abandoned it? Yes, you made many, many good deals but no payoff other than your bank account?

Bummer.

Buy that Mantle.

image >>

ditto, kind of a let down. Whole thread appeasrs as bragging now >>

Don't agree at all. I followed the whole thread and my read is he is a guy that got deep into modern cards in his quest for a Mantle and decided that's where he wanted to spend his money. He'd be an idiot to buy a 10K card that he wasn't interested in just to satisfy this thread. Very cool thread IMO and I hope he does buy a monster car at the National, no matter what it is.

As to bragging, we all do it when we get cards that are cool (wish I had some worth sharing!), personally I love the threads where guys share their purchases, collections, sales, etc.
  • Options
    Nate is a good guy! He has every right to change his mind. Either way it is always fun following these kind of threads.
  • Options
    HoosierguyHoosierguy Posts: 124 ✭✭
    I have meet Nathan several times and even sold him some stuff.He is a great guy and I really enjoyed following this thread no matter what he eventually buys or doesn't buy.Adam
  • Options
    dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭

The explanation he gave should've been sufficient. He had a change of direction-- simple as that. Get a grip folks.

"Yes, have made quit a few deals. However, I've just started adding it to my ebay store inventory.

"Started with $3,000.00 of my own money about a year and half ago and then the $500.00 my brother gave me about ten months ago.

I've taken everything and just combined it. It just got overwhelming keeping up with it separately.

Throughout this journey I found my passion for finding good deals and offering them to collectors.

You can see what it turned into in my store link below.

It's not the 1952 Mantle but it's something I'm proud of."
    Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • Options

<< <i>

Bummer.

Buy that Mantle.

image >>

ditto, kind of a let down. Whole thread appeasrs as bragging now >>

I'm sorry you feel that way. I never meant to "brag".
  • Options

<< <i>It was always just a scam to spam his merchandise on the front page of the main forum. >>

I only sold one item to a fellow board member BELOW EBAY sale value at the time that I recall- I recall Miconlegacy buying a very high end Mike Trout.

However, to spout things like this off about others you don't know is what makes this board a turn off at times.

To the posters that spoke up for me I greatly appreciate it. I had no bad intentions. I actually had decided after that one sale to a board member not to a post a scan of a card until it was sold via ebay.

I knew I let some folks down. To them, my apologies.

It was just a lot to keep up with and my heart was not in the 1952 Topps Mantle.

• Options

<< <i>

I only sold one item to a fellow board member BELOW EBAY sale value at the time that I recall- I recall Miconlegacy buying a very high end Mike Trout.

However, to spout things like this off about others you don't know is what makes this board a turn off at times. >>

Nate Just ignore it and don't let it get to you. Most of us know that's not your style.
  • Options
    Baez578Baez578 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

However, to spout things like this off about others you don't know is what makes this board a turn off at times. >>

He is in the minority.... It was a very entertaining thread. Thanks for sharing
  • Options
    And your Ebay store looks Awesome Nathan!!! Lots of great items. And I looked at your last 15 days of sales and your doing quite well.

Way to go buddy. Proud I was able to follow this thread and see those fantastic transactions. You proved you can make money on modern cards if you know what your doing.

If the Mantle is off the table, what you gained was a passion for something else, and I know almost everyone here enjoyed this thread. Hope all is well with you and your family. Talk to you soon.
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"
  • Options
    pdub1819pdub1819 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Previous page has a link.
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"
  • Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    Nathan is a class act and you can never make everyone happy. Some guys are rightfully pessimistic which is unfortunate. I spoke many times with Nathan regarding this thread and what he was and wasn't posting. He didn't want it to become a spam thread so as he said he started listing the deals after he bought and sold them. People change their minds and anyone who has an issue with that really isn't worth arguing with anyway.

Good luck with your new passion Nathan!!! image
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    <<<< BIG NATE FAN!!!
  • Options
    I'll admit that it was a little disappointing after learning he wasn't going to get the Mantle after a lot of hype with this thread but he has every right to change his mind at any time and frankly, doesn't need your permission or approval. It doesn't make him a bad person nor a liar. We got to see some great cards through this thread and that's what its all about on these forums. Something that I feel people don't do enough of here to begin with but instead just cry about ebay all day long.
  • Options
    eyeboneeyebone Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭
    i enjoyed the thread. you picked up some good looking cards and made some nice deals--whom among us doesn't want to do that? imo you are under no obligation to buy a mantle with your money--do with it whatever makes you happy.

good luck. eyebone
    "I'm not saying I'm the best manager in the world, but I'm in the top one." Brian Clough
  • Options

<< <i>i enjoyed the thread. you picked up some good looking cards and made some nice deals--whom among us doesn't want to do that? imo you are under no obligation to buy a mantle with your money--do with it whatever makes you happy.

good luck. eyebone >>

Thanks and I appreciate the kind words.

We were just able to work out a deal for 90% of my ebay inventory. We got the deposit and will be meeting half way on Friday.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>i enjoyed the thread. you picked up some good looking cards and made some nice deals--whom among us doesn't want to do that? imo you are under no obligation to buy a mantle with your money--do with it whatever makes you happy.

good luck. eyebone >>

Thanks and I appreciate the kind words.

We were just able to work out a deal for 90% of my ebay inventory. We got the deposit and will be meeting half way on Friday. >>

Oh? image

that is AWESOME Nate! i am so glad to hear this image
  • Options
    I want to thank everybody who helped me along the way. It was fun flipping and now it's time to buy a few cards that I will enjoy.

Well, we sold about 80% of our ebay inventory . So the first thing I did was take out the $8,436.00(the amount that we raised with the flip project for the Mantle) on Friday to use for cards I wanted for my personal collection. The "flipping" is over but the buying just started. There is no plan except to balance value with desire to own the card. Just want to get back to enjoying cards and not worry about finding the next deal.

I have always LOVED the Michael Jordan rookie. It is iconic in my eyes.

A true "Mantle" for my generation.

Just feel like one of the cards I truly want to own in a PSA 9/BGS 9 holder.

I actually would appreciate your thoughts. I want a little better than an average PSA 9 for my personal collection.

My thoughts are the front is pretty good but the back is really weak.

Should I stick with this one or try to upgrade it to a better PSA?

Just thought you might like to see.

$8436.00-$1440.00= $6996.00 left

imageimage
  • Options
    mccardguy1mccardguy1 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭
    Congrats on the whole process...you did well for yourself.

As for the Jordan, for a "9" I would certainly want a better reverse. Personally, I would try and find a better centered back (as well as the front of course) with less printing issues. Good luck on your purchasing quest.
    I am on a budget and I am not afraid to use it!!
  • Options
    We sold the Jordan PSA 9 for $1700.00 to bring the total back to $8696.00.

Well today I bought a 1933 Goudey Babe Ruth and the 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle.

The Mantle is worn but has a great story to go with it. The original owner owned it for sixty plus years. He took it to his local dealer this past week. The dealer had it graded at Beckett today and sold it to me. The card is worn but has lots of character when you hold it in hand. The card was graded BVG authentic and came back unaltered. This particular card spoke to me. I could see the enjoyment the original owner had gotten from this card many years ago and that really appealed to me and the price of course. We had the chance to buy a few Mantles for anywhere from $4,000-13,500 but they just were not the one for me. Of course, many on here would not even like this card but it's important to remember that we all are different. It may not be the best but I'm proud I was able to finish the journey. My brother gave me a gift and I was able to build on it. That gives me great satisfaction tonight.

The card was purchased for $2000.00.

imageimage

The 1933 Goudey Babe Ruth was also $2000.00. I just could not pass up the eye appeal. This one is stunning in person.

imageimage

That leaves me with almost $4,700 and two cards that make me happy.

I want to thank you all for following the journey. Some of you helped me look at these the past few days and I just appreciate the kindness. Of course, many encouraged me along the way and kept me going for the most part.