Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

The quest to EARN a Mickey Mantle 1952 Topps by the National. **1952 Topps Mickey Mantle +1933 Goude

Comments

• Options

<< <i>IDEA.....We could have a Board competition of finding the best deal for Nathan at the National and that board member gets to have their pitcure taken with Nathan and the Card. >>

Great Idea Kirk!
  • Options
    1980scollector1980scollector Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭
    Would love to have the PSA messgae board crew helping me try to find the nicest example for the best price. As you all know, perceived value is very important to me.

I want to offer a one -year renewal membership to PSA for who finds the card.

Transaction #56

The Bench rookie is sold to a board member for 65.00 paypal gift(a great offer in my opinion).

That leaves a total of $4438.56 + the following cards

1986-87 Fleer Sticker Michael Jordan Rookie
    ** Working on the following sets-2013 Spectra Football Hall of Fame 50th Anniversary Autograph set, 2015 Spectra Football Illustrious Legends Autograph set, 2014-15 Hall of Fame Heroes autograph set. **
  • Options
    Just dawned on me that $4425.00 should be able to purchase a PSA 1 Mantle (on eBay anyway).

Hard work pays off.
    ** Working on the following sets-2013 Spectra Football Hall of Fame 50th Anniversary Autograph set, 2015 Spectra Football Illustrious Legends Autograph set, 2014-15 Hall of Fame Heroes autograph set. **
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    cant wait to see the next transaction

good luck
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great job!!
    Im just putting this out there but for this kind of money you could buy a PSA or SGC 7 Cobb Red,Cobb bat off, Cobb bat on IN high grade.
    Maybe the next run you make?
    Cobb
  • Options

<< <i>Great job!!
    Im just putting this out there but for this kind of money you could buy a PSA or SGC 7 Cobb Red,Cobb bat off, Cobb bat on IN high grade.
    Maybe the next run you make?
    Cobb >>

I think that is something we should discuss. The knowledge on this board is top notch and would like to get some ideas from others. I plan to reach 10,000 but we just never know if deals will dry up/get scammed/etc.

My plan was to possibly by a PSA 2 1952 Topps and then use the extra cash on another investment.

CPAMIKE and I had thought of that already and were trying to decide if the 1952 Topps Mantle was the best card to buy with the cash.

I would love to hear some thoughts on what we should do with the money once we are done earning it all.

**That 1952 Topps Mantle PSA 1 was not pretty but it only went for three grand via ebay.

Thanks for linking that and if anybody sees anything just link it here.

• Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I vote for a high grade T206.
    Christy Mathewson Port PSA SGC 7 6,000ish
    Walter Johnson Port PSA SGC 7 5-6,000ish
    Ty Cobb SGC PSA 7 5-6000ish
    Cy Young PORt as well
    You cant go wrong with these. It would be a jewl and in high grade over 100 years old.
  • Options
    When you say to someone who knows nothing about baseball cards ...

"Baseball Cards"

You know what they think?

Honus Wagner T206
    Mickey Mantle 1952 Topps

While the others that have been mentioned recently certainly are nice, they are not the cards above.

Nate, to quote my favorite movie of all time .... "Stay On Target"
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    scmavlscmavl Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭
    I agree, stay the course. Get a nice PSA 2-3 and be happy for a long time. image
    2.5 is pretty much my speed.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    IMO get the nicest '52 MICK that you can.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    jimradjimrad Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭
    Sorry but I think a PSA 1 52 Mantle is such a waste. Set your bar high or I think you will end up disappointed.
    Positive transactions with: Bkritz,Bosox1976,Brick,captainthreeputt,cpettimd,craigger,cwazzy,DES1984,Dboneesq,daddymc,Downtown1974,EAsports,EagleEyeKid,fattymacs,gameusedhoop,godblessUSA,goose3,KatsCards,mike22y2k,
    MULLINS5,1966CUDA,nam812,nightcrawler,OAKESY25,PowderedH2O,relaxed,RonBurgundy,samsgirl214,shagrotn77,swartz1,slantycouch,Statman,Wabittwax
  • Options
    52 Mantle is the way I would go and you know me Nate I only collect Basketball and Football. So that says alot.
  • Options
    I bought these from a local collector for $400.00 cash. I listed a some and sent the others to Probstein123.

Here are the results.

2009 Bowman Rookie Autograph of Buster Posey sold via ebay for $75.00

2011 Leaf Ultimate Draft Christian Ponder Purple Rookie Autograph / 5 sold via ebay for $76.00

2011 Press Pass Legends Football Jake Locker Autograph Press Plate 1/1 AUTO MINT sold via ebay $100.00

2011 Panini Gold Standard AJ Green 3 Color SICK Patch Auto 325 ON CARD AUTOGRAPH sold via eBay for 65.00

2011 Topps On The Rise Craig Kimbrel Rookie RC Signed Tier 1 One AUTO 11/25 sold via Probstein for $76.00

2011 Crown Royale #211 Torrey Smith Rookie RC Signed AUTO Jersey Patch 11/50 sold via Probstein for $56.00

2011 Bowman Prospects #BP1 Bryce Harper Rookie RC Nationals Signed AUTO sold via Probstein for $150.00

2011 Topps Supreme Cam Newton Rookie RC Panthers Signed AUTO 161/175 sold via Probstein for $84.00

2004 Leaf Limited Phenoms #201 Larry Fitzgerald RC Signed AUTO Jersey 102/150 sold via Probstein for $70.00

Sold for $752.00 minus ebay fees/Probstein fees equal $650.00.

That leaves a total of $4688.56 + the following cards

1986-87 Fleer Sticker Michael Jordan Rookie (on eBay via Probstein right now)
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    WTG ... now let's get to the '52 "PSA 2" level!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options

<< <i>WTG ... now let's get to the '52 "PSA 2" level! >>

Yes, we are on our way now. We are going to continue our quest for a 1952 Topps Mantle. I really appreciate the feedback on whether I should buy a high end Hank Aaron Rookie, Clemente, Jordan etc. or a Mantle 1952.

We will continue to search for 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle's.

If we find a great deal before the National I would consider buying it sooner if the opportunity arises. However, the plan remains to buy it in Chicago next year.
  • Options
    leadoff4leadoff4 Posts: 2,392
    You've had some great flips buying from your "local" collectors. Wish I was as knowledgeable about the newer shiny stuff.
  • Options
    Where exactly do you find all of these local collectors?
    Getting back into collecting baseball cards!
  • Options
    georgebailey2georgebailey2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭
    Your avatar suggests that maybe a 68 Bench in PSA 10 may be more up your alley, but..

If you love the Mick, go for the 52 Topps.

If board speculation is correct regarding his identity, Maurice might chime in regarding a 52 Mantle. Perhaps not a deal, but definitely the biggest selection.
  • Options

<< <i>Where exactly do you find all of these local collectors? >>

Locally.

I met these people over the years and built relationships.

When I got into real estate I stopped buying/flipping. However, the past eight months I have started back and those past relationships are paying off.
  • Options
    ChiefsFan1stChiefsFan1st Posts: 845 ✭✭✭
    Man this thread is awesome! It kinda reminds me of me and my brother. One of us could sell a cow pattie for $1100. and one of us would be lucky to sell a $20 dollar bill for $16.50. Ill let you figure out which is whichimage
    I dont wanna grow up, Im a Toys-R-Us kid!
  • Options
    We sold the Jordan Sticker for $67.67 via Probstein.

That leaves a total of $4748.56.

We also bought a 2006 Topps Baseball Heritage Set with SP's/Variations and a 2012 Heritage Blue Border Variation Wal-Mart set for $125.00.

Those sold via ebay for $340.67.

We will call that a total of $310.00 and a net profit of $185.00.

That leaves a cash total of $4933.56.
  • Options
    We bought these from a local collector for $90.00.

Don Knotts (Barny Fife auto)

1962 Post Cereal Jim Brown

They sold for $180.00 via Probstein after fees a total of $160.00- 90.00 paid leaves a profit of $70.00.

That leaves $5,003.56 in cash.
  • Options
    Glad to see another transaction on this thread!
  • Options
    What about this PSA 2 Mantle?

It is on the B/S/T board.

• Options
    I was just about to let you know about that Mantle on the BST forum. Its a beauty for a 2.

GO FOR IT!! YOU DESERVE IT.
  • Options
    goraidersgoraiders Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭

Thats a great looking 2! How can you go wrong with that? I dont do basball but even I would take
    that one.Nice strong eye appeal and the color seems very strong.
    J.R.
    Needs'
    1972 Football-9's high#'s
    1965 Football-8's
    1958 Topps FB-7-8
  • Options

<< <i>What about this PSA 2 Mantle?

It is on the B/S/T board.

image >>

ummmm ....... WOW

that's the winner right there imo
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    mccardguy1mccardguy1 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭
    I agree with the others. This is the Mantle I would go with!!
    I am on a budget and I am not afraid to use it!!
  • Options
    akuracy503akuracy503 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the inquiry, Great journey and accomplishment to the collector in charge here.

It would be great to have the history of this card passed onto such a journey.

Here is a candid photo of the card.

CU Ancient Members badge member.

Collection: https://flickr.com/photos/185200668@N06/albums

• Options
    flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭
    seems like you enjoy going on the hunt and flipping. I say stay the course. Keep doing what you're doing until the National. At that point you may be able to get a mid grade Mantle or a lower grade Mantle AND one of the other Big Kahunas
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    Cool thread. I look forward to the end result.
  • Options
    mrpeanut39mrpeanut39 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭

<< <i>seems like you enjoy going on the hunt and flipping. I say stay the course. Keep doing what you're doing until the National. At that point you may be able to get a mid grade Mantle or a lower grade Mantle AND one of the other Big Kahunas >>

I agree with this 100%. Unless the hunting and flipping is too much of a grind, I say stay the course.
    "I think the guy must be practicing voodoo or something. Check out his eyes. Rico's crazier than a peach orchard sow." -- Whitey Herzog, Spring Training 1973
  • Options
    Tough call. I have no idea on the price, but I would be tempted to pull the trigger on the 2 is the price was in the ballpark. Great eye appeal.
    The best pitch to start a hitter off with is always strike one.
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    I think you need to take more time to think about it if you can't make a quick decision.

If the ride is part of the game let it continue...

If you want a 52 Mantle I would take this one, I wouldn't blink if I saw it graded higher...

If you aren't sure that you even want a 52 Mantle (it seems like your mind isn't made up), definitely take the time to think about it. Personally, I would prefer a high end Aaron RC or even the 1951 Mantle. If it's something for your collection go with what interests you not what you think is the more iconic card.
  • Options
    pdub1819pdub1819 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>seems like you enjoy going on the hunt and flipping. I say stay the course. Keep doing what you're doing until the National. At that point you may be able to get a mid grade Mantle or a lower grade Mantle AND one of the other Big Kahunas >>

I agree with this 100%. Unless the hunting and flipping is too much of a grind, I say stay the course. >>

I double agree!
  • Options
    Thanks for all the advice.

I'm definately tempted to pull the trigger on this card. However, I am going to think it over this weekend.

Does anybody have VCP information on a Mickey Mantle PSA 2?

We would have to throw the one out that sold for $3500.00 because it was a scam.

• Options
    who cares what the VCP is on the 52 mantle PSA 2 that card is worth every penny of $6800. you dont see mantles with that type of centering in any grade. another plus side is the card dose not have a tilt like most 52 mantles you see. that cards has really sweet eye appeal I would jump on it.
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    The centering makes that card
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,515 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Totally agree with the 52 Mantle being considered, that is a gorgeous looking card.
  • Options
    That Mantle is one I would be happy to have in the collection. The creasing is not a major distraction is the facial region and the centering is very strong, as others have pointed out.

I say go for it. I would then start over and try to go after a second card like a 1986 Fleer PSA 10 Jordan. You have enough time given your skill set.
  • Options
    i rather have this PSA 2 then some horrable centered high grade mantle witha tilt that was posted in another thread
  • Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow....that has to be one of the best low grade Mantles I have seen. The centering is killer! Holding out for a nicer low grade Mantle in this price range could be a mistake.
  • Options
    flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭
    VCP on a PSA-2 is currently $6,172. Arrow going up--last 3 sales were from June 2012 to last week. High was $6,999, low was just over $5,200. all were eBay transactions
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    thats a beautiful card at a reasonable price. the mantles at the national will carry a higher price due to the venue

good luck
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    BunkerBunker Posts: 3,926
    I don't think you will find a nicer PSA 2 then that one. That being said any PSA 2 you consider buying in the future will always be compared to this one. (at least I would)

If you buy it and have regrets/change your mind, you could take it to the National and flip it/trade it for something else.

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation
  • Options
    What an awesome thread man! good luck and congrats!
    Hello, I'm currently working on a 1950 bowman baseball set. Also collect Cincinnati Reds cards and rookies.
  • Options
    Hey buddy,

Nathan in just a little over two months you have made about 5K in profit. Your original goal was to buy a Mantle RC by the National next year. Whether it is at the National or around the National, I think you should keep going.

I agree that the PSA 2 is quite nice expecially the centering. But at the pace you have been on, if you can keep doubling up, you should have enough to get a beautiful 5 or 6.

Stay the course and stay away from temptation Nathan. You've been doing great, DON'T STOP NOW ROCKSTAR!!!!!
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"
  • Options
    I agree with Mike...keep flipping. Your flips are the one if not the most enjoyable thread on the boards.
  • Options
    pdub1819pdub1819 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I agree with Mike...keep flipping. Your flips are the one if not the most enjoyable thread on the boards. >>

+1
  • Options
    FrancartFrancart Posts: 334 ✭✭✭
    Mike is right on. Keep flipping.