Hansen watch.

Comments

• JBatDavidLawrenceJBatDavidLawrence Posts: 504 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RedCopper said:
    Generally Speaking
    Tyrant continually exhibits his coins
    at the Long Beach for the public to see
    Hansen really only exhibits his coins
    On the PCGS message boards and the PCGS Set Registry web site.
    Like I said before , perhaps it is time for Hansen to exhibit some of his sets at major shows and invite people with same sets to exhibit
    their sets.

Well, this isn't exactly correct. We've displayed quite a few coins at the past ANA Shows and the 2018 FUN Show.
    Seated Dollars, Proof Trade Dollars, and some highlights from the gold and Barber Quarters (finest known 1901-S 25c PCGS/CAC MS68+).

We're working on some more displays in the near future, but it takes time and logistics to work these things out!

Thanks

John Brush
    President of David Lawrence Rare Coins www.davidlawrence.com
    email: John@davidlawrence.com
    2022 ANA Dealer of the Year, Past Chair of NCBA (formerly ICTA), PNG Treasurer, Instructor at Witter Coin University, former Instructor/YN Chaperone ANA Summer Seminar, Coin World Most Influential, Curator of the D.L. Hansen Collection
  • JBatDavidLawrenceJBatDavidLawrence Posts: 504 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@Currin said:

@Srotag said:
    I much preferred the OGH-55CAC to the 62+ at FUN (that's why I bought it :blush: ), especially at 40% of the price. The 55 may someday be a 58, but never an MS coin. I think the same could be said of the 62+ :wink:
    BTW, the HA auction record of the 62+ indicates "This Owner is proactively entertaining offers". Why is Hanson offering the coin for sale thru HA immediately after winning it at auction? Usually that is an indication that the HA wholesale dept bought the coin. Are we sure Hanson bought it?

Yes, I can confirm he purchased the coin. If it is offered for sale, it because the coin realized less than he thought it would. He has multiple coins and maybe more that one duplicate. If coin is immediately being offered, tells me that Hansen does not have an emotional attachment to coin. Same as the 1856-S Half Eagle that he purchased and sold it the next morning for a profit.

As has been posted to this thread, already, just because a coin shows as “This Owner is proactively entertaining offers” doesn’t necessarily mean the owner knowingly chose to show the coin as being available for sale.

Mark is correct. The coins are not being offered for sale via Heritage. It's simply a silly setting that we haven't turned off on his account.

John Brush
    President of David Lawrence Rare Coins www.davidlawrence.com
    email: John@davidlawrence.com
    2022 ANA Dealer of the Year, Past Chair of NCBA (formerly ICTA), PNG Treasurer, Instructor at Witter Coin University, former Instructor/YN Chaperone ANA Summer Seminar, Coin World Most Influential, Curator of the D.L. Hansen Collection
  • GazesGazes Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBatDavidLawrence said:
    Sorry for the recent bursts in posts today.
    As some of you know, we've dealt with several major ailments in my family in the past several months that have forced me to reply less here and on Hansen topics to focus on DLRC-related and family-related issues. We're hopefully on our way out of these issues and I'm attempting to catch up with Currin and with projects related to the Hansen Collection.

I heard some rumors at the FUN show that we were no longer buying, but I can assure you that it's not true.
    While there are less coins for us to pursue in filling holes, we are concentrating more on pieces of need that make "sense" for us to add to the primary collection and to finish and develop some of the 2nd and 3rd sets. I'll do my best to keep up here in the coming weeks and please don't hesitate to throw any questions to me and I'll do my best to try to answer.

John,

I understand the goal of the primary collection. What is the idea or goal behind having a 2nd or 3rd set in multiple series? Thanks

• tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,162 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBatDavidLawrence said:

@MathandBikes said:
    Are there any plans to start showcasing pieces of this set at various shows?

I’ve never traveled outside of the state for a show but I know if Hansen’s set (some part of it at least) was being shown then I’d likely purchase my first flight for a coin show.

We've actually done a few displays of sets at recent national shows. Our next planned display will be at the DLRC Booth at the ANA World's Fair of Money in Pittsburgh. At last year's ANA in Chicago, we displayed the #1 rated Proof Trade Dollar Set including the finest known 1884 and 1885 Proof issues.

Finest graded

• PerfectionPerfection Posts: 180 ✭✭✭

One reason a person has multiple sets or partial sets (myself 2-3). is that over the years we upgrade or find better eye appeal coins. We either sell the dupes or keep them and they can lead to another set. For example I have about 20 Proof Morgan dupes.
    For most part they are amazing for eye appeal. Many are better looking than what are in my two sets but they grade lower. I could look for the seven I need for set three but I don't.
    DLH seems to add to the dupes to make more sets.

• BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 12,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coins.

Surprising to me to see how far removed the APR's are from the PCGS Price guide values

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,153 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Boosibri said:
    Nice coins.

Surprising to me to see how far removed the APR's are from the PCGS Price guide values

Or is it the other way around? 😉

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bravo to the above post! B)

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll 2nd that!

@topstuf said:
    Bravo to the above post! B)

• DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

As much as I appreciate the thrill of the hunt, I do not agree with crossing/cracking out high end fatties for the sake of uniformity.

"It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• jerseycat101jerseycat101 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭✭✭

That 67+ Peace is amazing.

• 1987WheatCent1987WheatCent Posts: 31
    edited January 31, 2020 7:21AM

I find DL's pursuit to be quite vain, to be honest. To spend this much money on a coin collection, only to flaunt it in a popular coin forum, is questionable to me. He is not furthering the numismatic community with his egotistical pursuit, and instead is just using this as a means to get more famous. Hopefully I am wrong, but these are my humble thoughts on the matter.

• 1987WheatCent1987WheatCent Posts: 31
    edited January 31, 2020 7:43AM

@Gazes said:

@1987WheatCent said:
    I find DL's pursuit to be quite vain, to be honest. To spend this much money on a coin collection, only to flaunt it in a popular coin forum, is questionable to me. He is not furthering the numismatic community with his egotistical pursuit, and instead is just using this as a means to get more famous. Hopefully I am wrong, but these are my humble thoughts on the matter.

Couldn't disagree more. First of all he does not "flaunt" it in this forum---in fact he rarely posts on this forum. He does use the registry just like thousands of other collectors. Honestly, I would hate if Mr. Hansen was buying all these coins secretly and the collecting community had no idea where they were, who had them, etc. In fact, but for the registry there are some coins we would never know existed except for Mr. Hansen's openness.

Thank you for your thoughts, @Gazes . While I understand your point of view, I disagree. Think of it like this - wouldn't we all love to live in a world where people climbed Everest for the challenge of it, and did not proceed to post about it online or tell anyone about it? This is akin to that situation; it would be best if people did not pursue such vain endeavors.

• tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,162 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1987WheatCent said:

@Gazes said:

@1987WheatCent said:

Couldn't disagree more. First of all he does not "flaunt" it in this forum---in fact he rarely posts on this forum. He does use the registry just like thousands of other collectors. Honestly, I would hate if Mr. Hansen was buying all these coins secretly and the collecting community had no idea where they were, who had them, etc. In fact, but for the registry there are some coins we would never know existed except for Mr. Hansen's openness.

Thank you for your thoughts, @Gazes . While I understand your point of view, I disagree. Think of it like this - wouldn't we all love to live in a world where people climbed Everest for the challenge of it, and did not proceed to post about it online or tell anyone about it? This is akin to that situation; it would be best if people did not pursue such vain endeavors.

It would appear you have issues with the forum, since they posted about this collection, not DL. I am glad I do not live in the same world you live in.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053

You should ban this guy. ☺ Hansen loves coins. He has money. He is 100% not egotistical. I met him once.
    Nice, normal person. If I had his money, why not? He loves coins so he buys what he wants.
    I have lots of coins. I like them as well. I prefer to look at coins over stocks, bonds and other investments.
    If I did not have the coins I would have more of this "stuff" and real estate.

• topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

My, the grapes are sour this morning.
    The forum ...exists... to document the progress of collections.
    It's a source of education and INFORMATION.
    The information may be the progress of a collection or a technical grading question.

What it is not is a psychiatric venue.
    Although, I am completely sane. Kinda. :D

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 31, 2020 9:07AM

Hansen isn’t flaunting in the forums so much as posting in the Set Registry which a lot of people do. It just so happens he's building a complete U.S. coin collection which fascinates a lot of people.

I also think what he is doing is great for collecting and getting people excited about coins. It's a wonderful thing for the hobby.

• SrotagSrotag Posts: 23 ✭✭
    edited January 31, 2020 10:13AM

"My humble thoughts are literally the exact opposite of yours but to each their own etc. He's not vain at all. He doesn't flaunt anything at all. He is a positive to the numismatic community. No one gets famous collecting coins".> @PhilLynott said:

Could not agree more and your last statement says it all. If Hanson was doing this for fame and vanity, he would NOT be collecting coins. He would be buying $100,000,000+ art or famous office buildings like the Empire in NYC. THOSE transactions make national and worldwide headlines--not collecting coins. I bet 99.99% of the people not involved in the coin community know nothing about Hanson's endeavor.

• CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

The politics of envy.....

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,112 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tradedollarnut said:

@JBatDavidLawrence said:

@MathandBikes said:
    Are there any plans to start showcasing pieces of this set at various shows?

I’ve never traveled outside of the state for a show but I know if Hansen’s set (some part of it at least) was being shown then I’d likely purchase my first flight for a coin show.

We've actually done a few displays of sets at recent national shows. Our next planned display will be at the DLRC Booth at the ANA World's Fair of Money in Pittsburgh. At last year's ANA in Chicago, we displayed the #1 rated Proof Trade Dollar Set including the finest known 1884 and 1885 Proof issues.

Finest graded

rated = graded

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭✭✭

For myself I've never thought of his pursuit any differently than any other collector chasing their goal. I've been following his pursuit and have enjoyed each step. These examples shown herein are some of the most impressive/superb coinage one could witness. Furthermore, it's made many of us "commoners" here feel like we are part of his active quest for the best. Brought many of us into his fold. Thanks for letting us ride the wave.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

@Currin said:
    1795 $5 Small Eagle MS62 (Gold Shield)
    PCGS Coin #8066 / PCGS Serial #36068839
    PCGS 28/18, PCGS Price Guide Value $145,000

David Akers comments: Although not particularly scarce by Half Eagle standards, the 1795 Small Eagle is nevertheless a relatively high priced coin due to its status as the first U.S. gold coin and its popularity as a type coin. It is much more common than the other dates of this type and is fairly obtainable in AU-Unc. condition. Gems, that is MS-65 or better coins, are rare but still occasionally available. Proof-like surfaces are the norm rather than the exception but no true proofs exist. There are, however, several first strike specimens that have the characteristics of "presentation" pieces.
    One interesting variety exists with the second S in STATES over the letter D. This variety, although more rare than the varieteies with the plain S, does not generally command a premium.

Beautiful coin! I love this type and I'm glad Dell Loy chose the reverse to be on his custom insert.

Good day,
    Any new updates? Would it be improper to point out coins that DLH needs?
    There is one on the DLRC site an 1895 PR68CAM PCGS/CAC .50. He has a 66+DCAM.
    https://www.davidlawrence.com/rare-coin/1981520

• privaterarecoincollectorprivaterarecoincollector Posts: 629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 7, 2020 2:53AM

-

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 7, 2020 4:41AM

@Perfection said:
    Good day,
    Any new updates? Would it be improper to point out coins that DLH needs?
    There is one on the DLRC site an 1895 PR68CAM PCGS/CAC .50. He has a 66+DCAM.
    https://www.davidlawrence.com/rare-coin/1981520

While it can be said that Mr. Hansen “needs” certain coins in order to fulfill his quest, I don’t think he “needs” that one. 😉

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 12,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

That’s a nice 61-S

• mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Boosibri said:
    That’s a nice 61-S

Yep. Love that look/color profile on the S-mint half eagles of that era. Tough coins.

• Just from some casual browsing:
    -- Jefferson Nickels Basic Set, Proof (1938-1964): Two of the coins in the #2 set (the 1940 PR68 and the 1956 PR68+DCAM) score higher than the ones in the #1 set (PR67+ and PR68DCAM).
    -- Washington Quarters Basic Set, Proof (1936-1964): One coin in the #2 set (1951 PR67+) scores higher than the one in the #1 set (PR67).
    -- Franklin Half Dollars Basic Set, Proof (1950-1963): Two of the coins in the #2 set (the 1952 PR67CAM and the 1955 PR68DCAM) score higher than the ones in the #1 set (PR65DCAM and PR67DCAM).

Trying to keep these straight must drive JB's folks crazy. Scary to think what others there are and what true scores may be. Maybe PCGS will start giving out badges for volunteers to find these.

He had the higher graded 1896 Liberty Nickel in the second set for a while, but did get that one straitened out

• OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

While I appreciate all of the upgrades Hansen is making to his collection, his re-marketing of his dupes as "Hansen Collection" coins is not in good taste. Although they are are all fine quality coins, they are sub-standard relative to the quality of his Registry Set coins. In fact, a current provenance should not be represented on PCGS labels. If I were to by one, I would certainly send it back to PCGS for reholder. Using a premature and subordinate provenance on resell holders is not in good taste.

OINK

I think almost everyone here is thinking of a certain coin coming up next month. (1854-S half eagle).

Will this end up in the Hansen set? And what is going to happen with the 1822?

edited February 9, 2020 6:39PM

@OldIndianNutKase said:
    While I appreciate all of the upgrades Hansen is making to his collection, his re-marketing of his dupes as "Hansen Collection" coins is not in good taste. Although they are are all fine quality coins, they are sub-standard relative to the quality of his Registry Set coins. In fact, a current provenance should not be represented on PCGS labels. If I were to by one, I would certainly send it back to PCGS for reholder. Using a premature and subordinate provenance on resell holders is not in good taste.

OINK

Do other collectors do similar things? I read that Ted Naftzger had a lot of pedigreed coins that he only owned for a short period of time. The following was posted by @Sunnywood on Ted's pedigree:

@Sunnywood said:
    Naftzger owned an awful lot of large cents, including many that were held only for a short time, as he actively traded and bartered them. So a "Naftzger pedigree" sometimes means a coin that he owned only for a month. If you weed those out, and consider the coins that he had for years, then you're onto something ... the ones he held onto are the good ones !!

Holmes and Husak were also great collectors, and all of those pedigrees should be respected !!

Best,
    Sunnywood

I personally don't mind and like that Hansen is associating his name with these coins. To me, the more information the better, especially as we enter an era where a traceable history for coins is becoming increasingly important. If a lower quality coin has a pedigree, it's still easy to tell it's lower quality. If a coin has lost its pedigree, it can be hard to get it back. I also like the fact that on many coins, he's the first named collector.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file