Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Hansen watch.

Comments

• Options
    JBatDavidLawrenceJBatDavidLawrence Posts: 500 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@tradedollarnut said:
    Btw - Hansen wrote the foreword in the newest edition of the 100 Greatest US Coins

Sweet. That's something I'd love to read.

I have a Word document of it around here somewhere...

John Brush
    President of David Lawrence Rare Coins www.davidlawrence.com
    email: John@davidlawrence.com
    2022 ANA Dealer of the Year, Past Chair of NCBA (formerly ICTA), PNG Treasurer, Instructor at Witter Coin University, former Instructor/YN Chaperone ANA Summer Seminar, Coin World Most Influential, Curator of the D.L. Hansen Collection
  • Options
    JBatDavidLawrenceJBatDavidLawrence Posts: 500 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jpkinla said:
    My first post in ten years but am still going through the thread to learn about this amazing collection. Best of luck in the quest.

Welcome back John! Hope that you're doing well.

John Brush
    President of David Lawrence Rare Coins www.davidlawrence.com
    email: John@davidlawrence.com
    2022 ANA Dealer of the Year, Past Chair of NCBA (formerly ICTA), PNG Treasurer, Instructor at Witter Coin University, former Instructor/YN Chaperone ANA Summer Seminar, Coin World Most Influential, Curator of the D.L. Hansen Collection
  • Options
    BestGermanBestGerman Posts: 75 ✭✭✭

Currin, the provenance on the 1864-S $5 appears to be American Numismatic Rarities 1/2005:957

Ron Guth, Chief Investigator
    The Numismatic Detective Agency

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,159 ✭✭✭✭✭

Legend's offering of newps this week would enhance any collection

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tradedollarnut said:

You ain't kidding!

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Currin said:
    Poof! The AG3 is Gone

For the those that have been watching know, the most worn coin the core collection was the 1864-S Half Eagle PCGS AG3, PCGS POP 1/16 with CAC Approval. I wrote in detail about the coin when the coin was added September 28, 2018. If you like to go back and read more, the discussion can be found on page 25 of this thread. The coin was Count Down #27. I wrote this about the coin at that time:

This rare San Francisco half eagle is well worn, but does have CAC sticker. This purchase was called by jonruns on Sept 2nd of this month. In knowing that DLH needed this coin, he noticed that Doug Winter Numismatics sent out an email of their ANA purchases which included an 1864-S $5 PCGS/CAC AG03. Being the coin was not listed the next day in the NEWP as he expected, it made him wonder. He contacted DW and was told the coin had been purchased. Well now we know who purchased it. Great investigate work Jon. The coin did eventually appear on DWN website. A sold total was posted on the website, the coin realized $12,500. To make matters more interesting, there is not a PCGS Price Guide value for the AG3. The next coin up, G4 is valued at only $6000. DLH paid doubled the amount for a lower graded specimen. There is no identified history on the coin. Although DWN states: This piece is fresh to the market and it comes from a collection which has been put away for decades. As for the condition, he says, If we used split grades to designate coins; I’d call this a VG8 obverse/AG3 reverse. It is extensively worn but totally problem-free with attractive warm natural russet color and problem-free surfaces.

We will miss this old coin in the core collection, but from the beginning, we knew the days were numbered for this coin. It did last a little over 12 months, and it will be remembered as the original Count Down #27 specimen.

1864-S Half Eagle PCGS AU55, POP 1/1

This new coin was crossed over during the recent work by PCGS to re-slab, photography and pedigree Mr. Hansen’s core collection. By John Brush account, this coin was purchased in a NGC AU58 holder. By having it coin crossed over to PCGS AU55, they knew the coin would probably decrease in value. The overall objective is to have the highest possible PCGS graded collection, so taking a few hits is known and acceptable.

The newly certified Hansen Collection Specimen takes second spot on the PCGS POP Report. The coin replaces the Kesselman – Bass PCGS AU53 Specimen for second place, but trails the monster Norweb -Bass, PCGS MS65+ Specimen. David Hall wrote about this top specimen: The "unc" mentioned by David Akers in his 1979 book was subsequently sold in the Norweb Sale (Bowers and Merena, 1987) and then in the Harry Bass Sale (Bowers and Merena, 1999). It is graded MS65 by PCGS and it is the finest known by an incredible 10 points!

This specimen has not shown up in any recent auctions that I can find. I wished I knew a little more on its history, but there is not much information that I can find. The coin makes a great upgrade for this collection. The PCGS coin guide has not updated this specimen to show a value for AU55. The Value given for AU63 is $95,000. I would think this coin would be valued in six figures.

In an Eliasberg comparison, the PCGS registry indicates his example was estimated gradeEF45. Ex. Atwater; Mehl (1946). Sold by Bowers & Ruddy Oct '82 price realized $2,530.

1864-S Half Eagle PCGS AU55 (Gold Shield)
    PCGS Coin #8297 / PCGS Serial #38081986
    PCGS POP 1/1

The MS65 1864-S which is a wonder coin was for sale or at least had a “make and offer” at an ANA a few years back.

• Options
    EastonCollectionEastonCollection Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tradedollarnut said:

Wow! Wow and Wow!
    Some of the world's finest Draped Bust Dimes just hit the market. Each one of them is a treasurer to own. If I was putting together a world class Early Dime set and wanted it to be the finest ever, then they would be included in my set, without exception. Previously they were included in some of the greatest coin collections ever assembled. if i had the funds to own them, i would have bought them already. Yeah - i am a Early Dime junkie.

Easton Collection
  • Options
    GazesGazes Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

@EastonCollection said:

@tradedollarnut said:

Wow! Wow and Wow!
    Some of the world's finest Draped Bust Dimes just hit the market. Each one of them is a treasurer to own. If I was putting together a world class Early Dime set and wanted it to be the finest ever, then they would be included in my set, without exception. Previously they were included in some of the greatest coin collections ever assembled. if i had the funds to own them, i would have bought them already. Yeah - i am a Early Dime junkie.

The NEWPS from Legend this week blew me away. The market report gives a bit of the back story--would love to know more. I didn't cross check it against the Hansen collection but I wonder how the coins offered would impact the collection?

• Options
    EastonCollectionEastonCollection Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Gazes said:

@EastonCollection said:

@tradedollarnut said:

Wow! Wow and Wow!

The NEWPS from Legend this week blew me away. The market report gives a bit of the back story--would love to know more. I didn't cross check it against the Hansen collection but I wonder how the coins offered would impact the collection?

I know the coins and i believe everyone are upgrades. But just comparing grades-
    5 would be upgrades and 1 would fill a missing spot. For example, the 1797 16 Stars - the one for sale is a 66 and Hansen's is a 65. While not an upgrade, i feel the 66 is hands down the finest. If you compare the 1798/7 13 Stars - the one for sale is a 63 and Hansen doesn't own one. There are more but it really doesn't matter because the ones being offered are the best of the best IMHO. Personally, i never thought that after Pogue i would ever see these coins offered again.

Easton Collection
  • Options
    earlyAurumearlyAurum Posts: 718 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Gazes said:

@EastonCollection said:

@tradedollarnut said:

Wow! Wow and Wow!

Agree. The NEWPS from Legend are really high end. The 1795 $10 is the prize!

• Options
    CurrinCurrin Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭✭✭

D.L. Hansen Branding

Now the Election Season is over, I can get back to what I love. The upgrades typically drop off this time of the year. Hansen did not make purchases that I could find in the Legend’s Regency Exclusively Event held 10/24/2019. I don’t know if he was too busy to participate or he was under bidder on everything. He could have purchased some “under the radar” coins that just don’t stand out in my searches. It is seemly odd an event this size, Hansen did not come away with something.
    I thought with the break in the action; this would be a good time look at Hansen's new “branding”. If you missed it, John Brush provided an inside look of the event in Salt Lake that took place about a month ago. Take a detail look if you like to read more:

https://blog.davidlawrence.com/coins-we-love-the-hansen-update/

Hansen New Label - The Next Generation

John Brush describes this label as a satin gray background that is offered on just a few coins at the moment. The name he gives is The Next Generation. The Pedigree reads: D.L. Hansen Collection (with the small eagle at center top). John describes the task as Herculean by encasing nearly 8,000 coins. It is interesting there are several of these new braded coins for sale on DLRC website.

Hansen Blue Label – Cert # on Front

This is standard blue label slab with the certification number on front. The Pedigree reads: D.L. Hansen Collection (with the small eagle to the left side). Mr. Hansen is said not to particular care for this label because the blue fades and over time become almost white. He does not like the inconsistency of the shade of blues in a set.

Hansen Blue Label – Cert # on Back

This is standard blue label slab with the certification number on back label. Everything else is pretty much the same as previous label.

Hansen Barber Label

This appears to be a special label designed just for his Barber coins. The pedigree appears over two lines, with the top line reads: D.L. Hansen. The second line reads: Barber Collection. This may become one of his rare holders.

Any thoughts on the new label?

My 20th Century Type Set, With Type Variations---started : 9/22/1997 ---- completed : 1/7/2004

My 20th Century Gold Major Design Type Set ---started : 11/17/1997 ---- completed : 1/21/2004
  • Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mixed emotions regarding this vanity project. I understand the desire to have consistency, but we are just temporary caretakers until the next collector who feels the need to emblazon their name.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

My preference would be that PCGS maintains provenance records, but never on the slab.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Catbert said:
    Mixed emotions regarding this vanity project. I understand the desire to have consistency, but we are just temporary caretakers until the next collector who feels the need to emblazon their name.

Imagine if every collector counterstamped their coins ;)

• Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

Personally I like the blue label with the PCGS shield on it. If he just had his last name above the cert # that would do it for me. I really liked the Pogue label.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see another slot filled in the 1793-1964 set. 1798 $2-1/2 in AU-53.

This leaves:

1798 $5 Small Eagle
    1822 $5
    1854-S $5
    1875 $10 (which he does have in proof)

In the 1793-date set, these coins are missing, but exist the the 1793-1964 set (a hint to do an update)

1798 $2-1/2
    1798 $5 Large Eagle
    1819 $5
    1828 $5

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    BestGermanBestGerman Posts: 75 ✭✭✭
    edited November 16, 2019 12:38AM

Currin,

Here's some additional information on Hansen's Civil War gold coins listed above:

1861 $5 38081988
    Provenance: Heritage 4/2008:2453, not sold - Heritage 1/2018:5042, $102,000 - D.L. Hansen Collection

Eliasberg's 1861 $5 is NGC PR66CAM

1862 $5
    Provenance: King Farouk (The Palace Collections of Egypt) - Sotheby's 2/1954:254 - Hans Schulman (as agent) - Norweb Collection, Part I - Bowers & Merena 10/1987:870, $13,200 - E.S.S. Collection - Stack's/Bowers 8/2019:5330, $96,000 - D.L. Hansen Collection

1864 $3
    Provenance: Stack's/Bowers 8/2019:5298, $60,000 - D.L. Hansen Collection

Ron Guth, Chief Investigator
    The Numismatic Detective Agency

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭✭

@topstuf said:
    Did he get the Eagle from the mint this morning? >:)

I wondered the same thing. :D

• Options
    GoBustGoBust Posts: 589 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any news about the 1838-O half that just sold at Stacks? I really liked that example, thought it very PQ for grade. I was hoping Dell Loy took a fancy to it.

• Options
    BBNBBN Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭
    edited November 16, 2019 11:58AM

LOL, How it feels when you're near the top of a registry and then along comes Hansen to drop a new set and debuts at #1: :D

OPE! EDIT This video has some language that was beeped out of the original broadcast. Let me know if not allowed. Til then, I'm rereading the rules. LOL

Positive BST Transactions (buyers and sellers): wondercoin, blu62vette, BAJJERFAN, privatecoin, blu62vette, AlanLastufka, privatecoin

#1 1951 Bowman Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #2 1980 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #8 (and climbing) 1972 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
  • Options

@GoBust said:
    Any news about the 1838-O half that just sold at Stacks? I really liked that example, thought it very PQ for grade. I was hoping Dell Loy took a fancy to it.

I heard Doug Winter bought it.

• Options

@tradedollarnut said:

@GoBust said:

Do you know if he is planning to hold it or offer it for sale on his website?

• Options

@cameonut2011 said:

@tradedollarnut said:

@GoBust said:

Do you know if he is planning to hold it or offer it for sale on his website?

No...but 90+% of coins of that magnitude are bought representing a collector rather than for stock.

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tradedollarnut said:

@GoBust said:

Great purchase!

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    GoBustGoBust Posts: 589 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really great purchace Doug. I thought the 1838-O was one of the better ones extant. Really lovely, nice surfaces without any nicks and immediate eye appeal.

• Options

Great purchase

• Options

Any chance Winter was working for DLRC/Hansen? If not, Hansen unfortunately missed an excellent opportunity to fill a major hole in his set.

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

How much did the coin sell for?

• Options
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 18, 2019 1:47AM

Regarding Hansen branding, I like how he keeps the previous provenance on the insert as shown in the following example, but noticed that PCGS doesn't list D.L. Hansen in the Pedigree line. Is there any reason why Hansen wouldn't be listed in the PCGS Pedigree? Has this changed now?

• Options

@tradedollarnut said:
    $504K

I would much rather have the half dollar than the two common date Mercs in uber high grades that he spent more money on. I seriously hope Hansen didn't pass up on the opportunity.

• Options
    PerfectionPerfection Posts: 180 ✭✭✭

happy Thanksgiving to all.
    The CAC registry is live and being used quite a bit. I see it as a game changer in many ways.
    Sticking to the DLH post: Will DLH compete? It seems so and in a big way. Many sets are listed showing how many CAC coins are needed, Will DLH be looking for them? I believe yes. Why not?
    He wants the best. It will not be easy and could take lots of time. It will be interesting.

• Options
    edited November 28, 2019 6:12PM

@Perfection said:
    The CAC registry is live and being used quite a bit. I see it as a game changer in many ways.
    Sticking to the DLH post: Will DLH compete? It seems so and in a big way. Many sets are listed showing how many CAC coins are needed, Will DLH be looking for them? I believe yes. Why not?
    He wants the best. It will not be easy and could take lots of time. It will be interesting.

What actions suggest that he actually wants the best? Many actions would suggest he wants an expansive set, not the best individual coins.

• Options
    PerfectionPerfection Posts: 180 ✭✭✭

Don't think so. Why would DLH add many sets to the new registry showing all the holes if he did not intend to full them at some point.
    He is a competitor, well off and like many of us we want the best.
    I advised him long ago to buy almost only CAC but......
    It is possible to build some all CAC sets that are number one on the non CAC registry but it takes patience.

• Options

@Boosibri said:

@Perfection said:

What actions suggest that he actually wants the best? Many actions would suggest he wants an expansive set, not the best individual coins.

Well Hansen did spend more than $500k on two uber common ultra high grade Mercury Dimes this year.

• Options

@cameonut2011 said:

@Boosibri said:

@Perfection said:

Well Hansen did spend more than $500k on two uber common ultra high grade Mercury Dimes this year.

And passed in actually irreplaceable coins in the same timeframe if I recall. Same goes for the 38-O 50c recently sold.

• Options
    ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭✭✭

Would JA refuse to bean the Farouk saint if it was graded MS66?

My assumption is CAC looses its significance at top pops.
    In that case, why would D.L.H bother?

• Options

Loses its significance? Depends on why, I suppose. DLH added a lightly cleaned 70CC to my (his now) seated dollar set. It’s not really a great coin - might as well have a nice 63 instead of that 64.

On the other hand no 1804 dollar has a sticker - they are ALL overgraded. But price is by ranking, not by grade, so as long as it’s just the overgrade then no the sticker doesn’t matter. But....one has turned, another has a spot scratched out and another is cleaned. Caveat Emptor

• Options

Are there any plans to start showcasing pieces of this set at various shows?

I’ve never traveled outside of the state for a show but I know if Hansen’s set (some part of it at least) was being shown then I’d likely purchase my first flight for a coin show.

• Options

You should go to Long Beach in February and see a great display of Eagles

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Currin I'd still love a write up on his half cent collection, if you're willing.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file