Hansen watch.

Comments

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great write-up. Thank you!

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    RedCopperRedCopper Posts: 173 ✭✭✭

Currin- I would suggest before you do a write up of Half Cents you talk to someone who knows Half Cents .
    If Mr. Hanson’s Collection is even in the top ten I would be surprised.
    FYI Jim McGuigan has been collecting Half Cents for more than 40 years.
    Talk to him so you can be educated.
    Most of the half cent collectors are not listed in the Registry. I have collected Half Cents for more than 20 years and I have some experience.😊

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,634 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 9, 2019 10:25PM

I believe @Currin's summary above is only in reference to the PCGS Registry Sets.
    So when he discusses "#3 current" and "#4 all-time", etc., it is in that frame of reference.

This is still consistent with the possible existence of other very high quality sets outside the PCGS Registry.
    To include those sets in a summary would require more knowledge as you stated.
    This topic has been discussed earlier in this (admittedly long) thread,
    when Laura Sperber discussed collectors that choose to stay outside the PCGS Registry.

• Options
    CurrinCurrin Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will be starting a new Hansen-Eliasberg challenge this weekend. I am planning the feature a head-to-head comparison of 50 Au issues with the “WOW” factor. Stay tune, more to come.

My 20th Century Type Set, With Type Variations---started : 9/22/1997 ---- completed : 1/7/2004

My 20th Century Gold Major Design Type Set ---started : 11/17/1997 ---- completed : 1/21/2004
  • Options
    GazesGazes Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Currin said:
    I will be starting a new Hansen-Eliasberg challenge this weekend. I am planning the feature a head-to-head comparison of 50 Au issues with the “WOW” factor. Stay tune, more to come.

Looking forward to it!

• Options

Hansen-Eliasberg Challenge II

Last winter, I did a head to head registry competition comparing a define list of Hansen specimens with Eliasberg. I believe it turned out to be fun and interesting, and I think some of you agreed with me. In that challenge, I used a coin listing from a blog authored by Doug Winters on his website. He developed a grouping of about 80-85 coins that he called “Stand Alone Coins”. He set the following criteria for developing this grouping:

The coin is rare but not so rare that it becomes esoteric. The appeal of the coin is widespread. Its "essence" is easily definable--it has a great story or interesting history. It has "cross appeal" --i.e. collectors in various series all want this particular coin. It is affordable. It exists in relatively high grades(s).

This was a fun and competitive challenge. The result was 40-25-9 with the Hansen Collection winning the challenge. This will be another challenge based on a Doug Winter article. I found the list on CoinWeek dated October 31, 2016. The article was titled: Classic US Coins – 50 US Gold Issues with the “Wow” Factor

Mr. Winters indicates that these coins are: Certain issues in the various United States gold types struck between 1795 and 1933 have what might best be called a “Wow Factor.” Something about the issue—be it rarity, design, historic association or low mintage—appeals to a variety of collectors. These coins have strong multiple levels of demand and a “wow” coin might be included in a collection which focuses on trophy coins. He added a note that said: I’ve excluded coins like the 1822 and 1854-S half eagles because even though they have the Wow Factor in spades, they are just too rare for this list. Just for transparency, we all know that Eliasberg owned both of these coins. Mr. Hansen has never owned the 1822, but we do know that he was a partner in the purchase of the 1854-S XF45 Half Eagle being that he's a partner with DLRC, but after purchasing the coin, DLRC reported the specimen was sold to an undisclosed client.

The 50 coin list by denomination is as follows:
    •Gold Dollars: 3
    •Quarter Eagles: 7
    •Three Dollars: 2
    •Four Dollars: 1
    •Half Eagles: 14
    •Eagles: 9
    •Doubles Eagles: 9
    •Miscellaneous: 5

This will be a 10-part feature (with 5 coins weekly) that I will try to update every Sunday. I have not looked ahead, so I do not know who will win this head-to-head competition. I will follow along like everyone else. So, please keep it fun by not looking ahead. If you like read more about this WOW Factor list, this is the link to the original article.

https://coinweek.com/dealers-companies/doug-winter-us-gold/classic-us-coins-50-us-gold-issues-wow-factor/

My 20th Century Type Set, With Type Variations---started : 9/22/1997 ---- completed : 1/7/2004

My 20th Century Gold Major Design Type Set ---started : 11/17/1997 ---- completed : 1/21/2004
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,159 ✭✭✭✭✭

Slow going in the Hansen thread...

• Options

@tradedollarnut said:
    Slow going in the Hansen thread...

Sorry guys, but I had another commitment the past 2-3 weeks. I should be back to a point that I can now dedicate a few hours a week to the thread. So. Stay tuned.

• Options

More a comment on the slowing of purchases...

• Options
    NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

I also like the originality of the 1796 Draped Bust No Stars quarter eagle.

The Harry Bass and John Dannreuther book Early U.S. Gold Coin Varieties: A Study of Die States, 1795-1834, surpasses all previous publications on early gold in accuracy and depth of research. Akers estimated 30-40 extant, Dannreuther estimates 100-125 known (BD-2), from analysis of years of auction records.

The 1796 QE pictured is the variety BD-2. The 1796 BD-1 No Stars die marriage, which Bass re-discovered in 1971, has only 4-6 known. The PCGS AU50 BD-2 is obverse die state D, and reverse state B. Robert Scot lapped the obverse die to remove clash marks, which made the lower curls weaker. This is the latest die state with numerous obverse die cracks, which is also the most frequently observed.

Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • Options
    PerfectionPerfection Posts: 180 ✭✭✭

Good morning Currin!
    Any idea if DLH is adding coins to fill the holes in his CAC sets?

• Options

@Perfection said:
    Good morning Currin!
    Any idea if DLH is adding coins to fill the holes in his CAC sets?

I can not answer the question with certainty, but I do know a vast amount of Mr. Hansen’s collection need to be reviewed for CAC approval. This is an item that John Brush have discussed a few times. My thought is the collection will need to be reviewed before any additional coins for the purpose of CAC is considered. Maybe JB can chime in and add more clarity.

• Options

Possibly, but most coins have already been to CAC so I do not see that many of the DLH non CAC coins passing. Sure, perhaps some. To speed the process, and if CAC would allow it, they could give CAC all the PCGS numbers and eliminate all the coins that CAC has already seen.
    Regardless, fulling all the CAC holes would be a major undertaking and expensive. I was curious if they will go in that
    direction at some point?

• Options
    GazesGazes Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 18, 2019 8:37AM

When I saw the PCGS CAC registry one thought crossed my mind---this is good for the Hansen collection. From what I read and observed---he loves coins and loves the chase/challenge. Since he is down to fewer coins needed there is less "action" (still plenty of chase and challenge---but not as much activity). Having a PCGS CAC registry will allow him the fun of more activity while he attempts to finish his original challenge while also "upgrading" to CAC coins. Further, this may also improve the quality of his collection in the totality at the end of the day.

• Options

He could spend millions on upgrades to his saint set.
    Any over under on the 27 D?

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any more?

• Options

Perhaps Mr. Hansen would like to have a Barber Dime Showdown ?

I’ll lay my Barber dimes down next to his set and we’ll invite the public and Currin to view the coins

Perhaps even RSD will attend

That should give Currin something to write about

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,426 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RedCopper said:

I’ll lay my Barber dimes down next to his set and we’ll invite the public and Currin to view the coins

I think you’ve shown me a few fairly decent business strike Barber dimes at shows over the years.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 28, 2019 12:41PM

An interesting thing about the Hansen Barber Dime Proof set and CAC is that there are 5 POP 1/0 coins right now. 3 are CAC, 1 is non-CAC and I can't find the cert number for 1 to check. The 1893 PR68+ dime I posed above is actually CAC but not noted as such in the Registry Set. I've added the CAC note now.

Would a POP 1/0 non-CAC ever be rated than a lower grade CAC in the PCGS Registry?

It will be interesting to take a deeper look into each of the sets and the specific coins. Here are the 5 POP 1/0 coins in the set:

1. 1893 - PR68+ POP 1/0 CAC (not noted)
    2. 1895 - PR68CAM POP 1/0 CAC (not noted)
    3. 1899 - PR68CAM POP 1/0 non-CAC
    4. 1905 - PR68+ CAM POP 1/0 (no cert number)
    5. 1914 - PR68 POP 1/0 CAC (noted)

In terms of comparing the sets, in addition to CAC, I think DCAM is also important. Right now, Hansen has the highest DCAM percentage of the top 9 sets. Set #10, the JSV set, has a higher DCAM percentage but isn't complete.

• Options
    edited December 28, 2019 12:43PM

@Perfection said:
    Therefore one must be careful when calling a set the #1 set. When DLH passes RSM in the PCGS registry but not in the CAC registry which set is really #1? Supposedly RSM only buys top eye appeal coins. I believe Blay could be the same. It would be nice to see all four top sets on display at a future show.

It would be nice to do a deeper comparison of the sets but it's difficult as the RSD and Blay sets are both private. Stewart has also posted that he avoids TrueViews for his coins, in which case they also wouldn't be on CoinFacts.

It's easier to compare with the Simpson set which is online with photos and 3 POP 1/0 coins.

• Options
    edited December 28, 2019 12:44PM

@RedCopper said:

Are your coins posted online anywhere? It would be great to check them out!

• Options

Good comments. personally I do not care for most dcams except for morgans.
    They usually so not come tones and pcgs will not normally five a dcam. to dcam that is toned.
    I prefer beautiful toned coins. With seated dollars I especially do not like white dcams.
    I assume you can dip some toned cam dimes and make them dcams.
    When I was building my proof barbar half set that I,sold to. DLH. I chose not to compete with
    Scher as he had many 68 white dcams

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Perfection said:
    Very nice upgrades. I believe the definition of "The #1 Set" deserves some comments here.
    Yes, it is relevant. By adding the CAC Registry, PCGS has finally acknowledged that CAC coins are the top quality for the grade. Therefore there is no good reason why they should not get the same additional scoring as + graded coins. The chances of this happening is slim to none. A top CAC set in most cases, is superior to a top PCGS, NON CAC set. That is common sense.
    So what is a # 1 set? Most PCGS Non CAC coins would have to be one grade lower to be approved by CAC.
    So for a top PCGS set to be number one it would have to be X higher than the top CAC set.
    Therefore one must be careful when calling a set the #1 set. When DLH passes RSM in the PCGS registry but not in the CAC registry which set is really #1? Supposedly RSM only buys top eye appeal coins. I believe Blay could be the same. It would be nice to see all four top sets on display at a future show.

I dunno. Seems to me it was just a savvy marketing move to drum up even more interest in the Registry. I'm not going to debate the most valid metric for assessing the "#1 set". Stickers are binary decisions based on a subjective opinion at a given moment in time. The exact criteria for receiving one are unknown and unknowable. Therefore, everyone can choose to assign their own significance to them. I won't attack your preferences if you agree not to attack mine.

• Options
    edited December 28, 2019 1:25PM

@Perfection said:
    Good comments. personally I do not care for most dcams except for morgans.
    They usually so not come tones and pcgs will not normally five a dcam. to dcam that is toned.
    I prefer beautiful toned coins. With seated dollars I especially do not like white dcams.
    I assume you can dip some toned cam dimes and make them dcams.
    When I was building my proof barbar half set that I,sold to. DLH. I chose not to compete with
    Scher as he had many 68 white dcams

I can understand the preference for toning vs. white coins. I tend to like both. I have two very toned seated dollars and am considering a white-ish (not really white, but not super colored) proof now.

By not competing with Scher, do you mean not ranking your set against his? I don't now about proof Barber halves specifically, but toners are generally awarded grade bumps for eye appeal. Was the bump not enough to compete with the 68s here?

Out of curiosity, why do you make an exception for Morgans. Morgans come beautifully toned and I tend to like both Morgan toners and DCAMs.

• Options

First I apologize I said RSM and not RSD!
    I love toned Morgan's more so than white ones. I can state this about most coins.
    However to get a higher score you need dcams in all series .
    With the Barber halves I did not want to chase white dcams just for score. Scher did. If there was a gem
    toned cam I preferred to buy that. Therefore my score could only go so high.
    With Morgans I like both, so in the top set I have lots of white dcams but I also have a box of gem toned examples that are not in a registry set.

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tradedollarnut said:
    Slow going since buying those two common merc dimes for crazy money....sometimes that leaves a bitter taste.

Then again, it’s not like there have been tons of opportunities since then, have there?

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Toot that CAC Horn! Do you own stock in CAC?

@Perfection said:
    Very nice upgrades. I believe the definition of "The #1 Set" deserves some comments here.
    Yes, it is relevant. By adding the CAC Registry, PCGS has finally acknowledged that CAC coins are the top quality for the grade. Therefore there is no good reason why they should not get the same additional scoring as + graded coins. The chances of this happening is slim to none. A top CAC set in most cases, is superior to a top PCGS, NON CAC set. That is common sense.
    So what is a # 1 set? Most PCGS Non CAC coins would have to be one grade lower to be approved by CAC.
    So for a top PCGS set to be number one it would have to be X higher than the top CAC set.

• Options

Can anyone find the 1893 NGC MS69 Barber Dime I posted above (now a PCGS MS68+ CAC) in Legend's realized prices?

PCGS CoinFacts says this was sold by Legend in 2017, but I can't find it in Legend's realized prices.

This is what CoinFacts Condition Census says:

Legend Rare Coin Auctions 5/2017:186, $20,000 - Heritage 8/2017:3933, $23,500 - D.L. Hansen Collection

• Options

@MrEureka said:

@tradedollarnut said:
    Slow going since buying those two common merc dimes for crazy money....sometimes that leaves a bitter taste.

Then again, it’s not like there have been tons of opportunities since then, have there?

Oh you mean besides Oliver’s set, the 1827 quarter, the 1838-O half and a multitude of other great coins? I guess not...

• Options

Mr Hansen has a very nice set of Proof Barber Dimes. The 1893 is drop dead gorgeous ! I don’t think much from the image of his 1913 .
    I doubt he Will numerically pass
    RSD on either the CAC or the non
    CAC Set Registry. The core of the RSD Set used to be owned by
    Simpson, then by Laxdive and now by RSD. Laura Sperber was instrumental in forming this set.
    Hansen put his set together by himself !
    Looking at images of coins can
    be deceptive. Seeing and holding coins in hand is a must for me
    John Brush/ David Lawrence
    Could exhibit various sets of DLH
    And invite collectors with a same set
    to exhibit next to the Hansen set at various major shows.
    TDN is correct when saying DLH
    Has not been adding much lately
    and missed some super opportunities.
    When will he step up to the plate !

• Options
    edited December 29, 2019 7:05AM

@RedCopper said:

Does anyone do this? It's an interesting approach but I've never heard of anyone exhibiting their coins and inviting competing sets to exhibit beside them. I'm guessing this is likely because the purpose of showcasing one's coins isn't to draw comparisons with others but perhaps it's just never been thought of before?

• Options

I think the greatest change that I have seen in Mr. Hansen purchasing is this year, that he is not only more selective in what coins he buys, but also, what dealers he buys from. I think over the past three years, and particularly the past 6 months, there are dealers and auction sites that he like to spend his money with and those that he prefers not too. Unfortunately, owners of some nice coins may be missing out on getting their top dollar.

The picture that people try to paint at times can be deceiving. A quick look back at this thread in the past six months will show many great additions. It will be interesting to see if the intensity is still there in 2020. I think sellers and dealers that have coins to sell to Mr. Hansen, should realize at some point, there are only a hand full of coins that are really must have for the collection. If he does not desire your coin, don’t take it so personally, accept the rejection and move on.

• Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@RedCopper said:

Does anyone do this? It's an interesting approach but I've never heard of anyone exhibiting their coins and inviting competing sets to exhibit beside them. I'm guessing this is likely because the purpose of showcasing one's coins isn't to draw comparisons with others but perhaps it's just never been thought of before?

@RedCopper @boiler78 and I will have the top three 1858 12 piece pattern sets on display at the PCGS booth at FUN in two weeks. Each of us has a different theme/goal for our sets, so while there is competition, there are differences in goals. We are going to enjoy each other's sets and would love to see anyone who wants to come in and bring theirs.

Doug
  • Options

@MrEureka said:

@tradedollarnut said:

Basically my whole collection that has been sold since then.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Currin said:
    Barber Proof Dime Update
    1913 Barber Dime PR67+ CAM (Gold Shield)
    PCGS Coin #84897 / PCGS Serial #38479715
    PCGS POP 2/0, PCGS Price Guide Value $8,500

The large black carbon spot ruins this one for me. Not sure how it ended up in a 67+ holder like that.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭✭

@privaterarecoincollector said:

Any coins you miss or regret selling?

• Options
    privaterarecoincollectorprivaterarecoincollector Posts: 629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 29, 2019 12:04PM

@cameonut2011 said:

there are a few I miss like 1794 half cent, the 1796 cent and the 1795 Eagle. At the same time its fun for me to think about what to do next in the coin universe :smile:

• Options

@DMWJR said:

@Zoins said:

@RedCopper said:

@RedCopper @boiler78 and I will have the top three 1858 12 piece pattern sets on display at the PCGS booth at FUN in two weeks. Each of us has a different theme/goal for our sets, so while there is competition, there are differences in goals. We are going to enjoy each other's sets and would love to see anyone who wants to come in and bring theirs.

Good to know. I imagine it will be a great display!

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,453 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jeesh!

I thought I didn't like the Barber design.

I guess I never saw the whole thing before this.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,151 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cameonut2011 said:

there are a few I miss like 1794 half cent, the 1796 cent and the 1795 Eagle. At the same time its fun for me to think about what to do next in the coin universe :smile:

I'll be following along with what you target next! Do you have any regrets selling privately vs auction? Less upside but less risk, I suppose.

I've thought the same about my ancients: I have a number of irreplaceable pieces - if I were to sell any one of them, I should probably sell all of them but I'd then need to build a different sort of set to avoid just trying to re-acquire the same coins.

Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Options

@MrEureka said:

@tradedollarnut said:

Ok, I guess I got the timeline wrong on that, but didn’t DLH end up with a nice group of your coins? Hardly makes it seem like he was slowing down at that point, anyway.

Andy Lustig

• Options

@tradedollarnut said:

@MrEureka said:

@tradedollarnut said:

Oh you mean besides Oliver’s set, the 1827 quarter, the 1838-O half and a multitude of other great coins? I guess not...

No doubt he’s missed some great opportunities, but there’s a whole lot of middle ground between “slow going” and buying it all.

Andy Lustig

• Options
    edited December 29, 2019 3:57PM

@SmEagle1795 said:

@cameonut2011 said:

I'll be following along with what you target next! Do you have any regrets selling privately vs auction? Less upside but less risk, I suppose.

I've thought the same about my ancients: I have a number of irreplaceable pieces - if I were to sell any one of them, I should probably sell all of them but I'd then need to build a different sort of set to avoid just trying to re-acquire the same coins.

I'm also curious about this. I like history so one advantage I see of selling at auction is the creation of traceable auction records for posterity, but there are other considerations of course.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file