Home Sports Talk
Options

2018 NFL Regular Season Thread

Comments

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

@erikthredd said:
    those 14 receptions by Barkley was their run game. I've seen NE do this probably a hundred times over the years where their run game is bottled up so Brady hits his WR/TE/RB with a quick pass to get 4 to 5 yards at a time instead.

Understood. However the bottom line is that the Giants are 0-2.

Next Sunday the Giants fly down to play the Texans who are also 0-2.

That game will be a dogfight as neither team wishes to go a dismal 0-3.

The Giants lose that game and their season is basically over.

Honestly though,did anyone really expect this Giants team to be all that great coming into this season? Regardless of drafting a RB or QB with the 2nd pick,the Giants were still gonna roll Eli out as the starting QB no matter what. The team just isn't that good imho.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Dolphins of course meticulously studied the previous game film on Darnold being that was his first NFL game.

They probably saw some flaws in his tendencies, which may have led to the pics, not unusual for a rookie QB in his second game. But that can be corrected by the QB coach, and perhaps a bit of a different game plan.

Overall, i like the kid, and I think he's going to be a very good QB in the NFL.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erikthredd said:

@stevek said:

@erikthredd said:
    those 14 receptions by Barkley was their run game. I've seen NE do this probably a hundred times over the years where their run game is bottled up so Brady hits his WR/TE/RB with a quick pass to get 4 to 5 yards at a time instead.

Honestly though,did anyone really expect this Giants team to be all that great coming into this season? Regardless of drafting a RB or QB with the 2nd pick,the Giants were still gonna roll Eli out as the starting QB no matter what. The team just isn't that good imho.

Agree completely. They have multiple areas to address on both sides of the ball. I suspect they will have a high draft pick again this year and will get a QB. They desperately need to shore up the OL, too.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

@erikthredd said:

@stevek said:

@erikthredd said:

Point taken. However even if all goes well for the Giants and they draft or sign competent offense linemen next season. They've lost a year grooming an Eli replacement. And this season they are going to add a year to the wear and tear on Barkley.

Perhaps Barkley has a long successful NFL career. But the fact is that the average life of an NFL back is around five years depending on a wide variety of factors. You don't want to waste any time bringing in a potential star running back. You draft a guy like Barkley to get you to the next level of into the playoffs and beyond...not as a building block of sorts.

Before the fact, I said the Giants should have taken Darnold (or some other QB). After the fact, two games into it, i still say the Giants should have taken Darnold. Then next draft, key in the the line, perhaps unload Eli for draft picks, then the next draft in two years draft a RB if necessary to get you to the next level. So in three years, you've got a possible playoff contention team with a fresh running back.

Putting together a winning NFL team is like playing chess, and placing the pieces in the right place at the right time to eventually win the game. Right now, in my opinion, the Giants are not doing that properly.

In any event, we shall see how it all works out.

• Options

@grote15 said:

@erikthredd said:

@stevek said:

@erikthredd said:

Agree completely. They have multiple areas to address on both sides of the ball. I suspect they will have a high draft pick again this year and will get a QB. They desperately need to shore up the OL, too.

I do think they need to get their next QB soon just so that he'll be on the same timeline as OBJ & Barkley. I know they tried benching Eli last year and public sentiment was against it but he's pretty much all done at this point.

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@grote15 said:

@erikthredd said:

@stevek said:

@erikthredd said:

I do think they need to get their next QB soon just so that he'll be on the same timeline as OBJ & Barkley. I know they tried benching Eli last year and public sentiment was against it but he's pretty much all done at this point.

That's a great word to use "timeline" - hope you don't mind if I steal it off ya and use it in my future posts. ;)

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jets/Browns in Cleveland should be an interesting tilt this Thurs.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,161 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BLUEJAYWAY said:
    Jets/Browns in Cleveland should be an interesting tilt this Thurs.

the Browns are going to win this game

• Options

Mack is an a one man wrecking crew.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

thoughts so far:

going to take some time for me to get used to Tessitore, Witten and Booger

Mitch has missed some easy throws

Khalil is worth every penny. EVERY penny.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mack is a BEAST, you know the Raiders and their fans have to be annoyed at “Chuckie Gruden” lol they will regret throwing all that money at him

• Options

hard to fathom how far the seahawks have fallen since the legion of boom days. i feel for russell wilson, because that team is going nowhere fast.

• Options

Wilson has a Ring at least, that’s more than a lot of players can say

• Options

Someone wake up the Vikings or they are going to torpedo 98% of this week's knockout picks.

• Options
    edited September 23, 2018 11:02AM

@grote15 said:
    Someone wake up the Vikings or they are going to torpedo 98% of this week's knockout picks.

Maybe I should add the Vikings to this thread ;)
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1005902/its-getting-pretty-ugly-in-minnesota-right-now#latest

• Options
    edited September 23, 2018 11:02AM

Derek Carr is taking a back alley beating in Miami, tough physical game going on right now

• Options

Not looking good for Jimmy Garoppolo after getting carted off with what looks like a knee injury.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

One week after everyone was having a funeral for the Buffalo Bills, they put a big hurt on Vikings. Go figure.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    edited September 23, 2018 2:17PM

Chuckle, the $10 million coach, has not had much of a season so far. He's 0 and 3.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

@erikthredd said:
    Not looking good for Jimmy Garoppolo after getting carted off with what looks like a knee injury.

Shanahan says it may be a torn ACL.

• Options

@grote15 said:

@erikthredd said:

Ouch! Bad news for San Francisco. Maybe the injury bug was the reason why Belichick gave up on him. When Brady was suspended for "deflate gate" Garoppolo got injured in the second of the four games.

• Options
    edited September 23, 2018 2:06PM

@grote15 said:

@erikthredd said:

did you see the play? He was trying to run for a first down towards the sideline and when he was gonna be quite a few yards short he stayed inbounds instead of going out then got leveled by a defender. He's gonna be second guessing that move for a long time.

edit: the way he got hit had me thinking of the Mo Lewis hit on Drew Bledsoe in 2001 until they said it was his knee.

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@grote15 said:

@erikthredd said:

did you see the play? He was trying to run for a first down towards the sideline and when he was gonna be quite a few yards short he stayed inbounds instead of going out then got leveled by a defender. He's gonna be second guessing that move for a long time.

edit: the way he got hit had me thinking of the Mo Lewis hit on Drew Bledsoe in 2001 until they said it was his knee.

I admire his competitiveness and toughness, but that's just not a smart move on his part.

• Options

Looks like the Jags had a huge letdown after their Super Bowl last week.

• Options

@grote15 said:

@erikthredd said:

@grote15 said:

@erikthredd said:

I admire his competitiveness and toughness, but that's just not a smart move on his part.

Honestly it’s irresponsible to play like that, defenders lick their chops when they have an opportunity to hit a QB as a runner now especially after the ridiculous sack rules in place. I’m all for giving it your all but you gotta give yourself the best chance to fight on another play. Tough hit for San Fran and Jimmy G, I was hoping he would do well out there.

• Options

@BillJones said:
    Chuckle, the $10 million coach, has not had much of a season so far. He's 0 and 3.

And the Raiders deserve every bit of that 0-3 for spending that much money on him and watching him make a lot of questionable moves with this team so far

• Options

@BillJones said:
    One week after everyone was having a funeral for the Buffalo Bills, they put a big hurt on Vikings. Go figure.

Reason number.. Ummmm 10000 why I stopped betting on the NFL 10+ years ago lol

• Options

if we lose to the Cardinals im going to start doing hardcore drugs

• Options

Barkley with a nice game today in a Giants win.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

@grote15 said:

@erikthredd said:

@grote15 said:

@erikthredd said:

Honestly it’s irresponsible to play like that, defenders lick their chops when they have an opportunity to hit a QB as a runner now especially after the ridiculous sack rules in place. I’m all for giving it your all but you gotta give yourself the best chance to fight on another play. Tough hit for San Fran and Jimmy G, I was hoping he would do well out there.

On the replay it looked like the injury was actually before the hit as he planted and tried for more yards.

• Options

@perkdog said:

@BillJones said:

Pasted:

Last 17+ point ‘dogs to win were Redskins over Cowboys in 1995. 24 straight losses.

I have a feeling some of the sports gamblers who bet their house on the Vikings with the money line, meaning all they needed to win the bet was for the Vikings to win the game, may be doing the same thing, as you say, "stopped betting on the NFL"

I just looked and Caesars had the money line at 2500, meaning to bet the Vikings just to win, no point spread, you had to put up $25 to win $1. But why not...pickup a quick & easy 4% on your money because that bet couldn't lose right?

• Options

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

@BillJones said:

Pasted:

Last 17+ point ‘dogs to win were Redskins over Cowboys in 1995. 24 straight losses.

I have a feeling some of the sports gamblers who bet their house on the Vikings with the money line, meaning all they needed to win the bet was for the Vikings to win the game, may be doing the same thing, as you say, "stopped betting on the NFL"

I just looked and Caesars had the money line at 2500, meaning to bet the Vikings just to win, no point spread, you had to put up $25 to win $1. But why not...pickup a quick & easy 4% on your money because that bet couldn't lose right?

I wonder what the money line parlay with no points placed on the Vikings and Lions to win was?

• Options

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

@BillJones said:

Pasted:

here ya go

https://complex.com/sports/2018/09/somebody-lost-9000-betting-on-vikings-to-beat-bills

• Options

@galaxy27 said:

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

@BillJones said:

Pasted:

here ya go

https://complex.com/sports/2018/09/somebody-lost-9000-betting-on-vikings-to-beat-bills

And I'm sure there were much bigger bets placed than that.

At the horse racetrack, they're known as bridge jumpers. They place huge bets to show on a "can't lose" horse in which the horse only has to run third, and they pick up the mandatory by law track payout of 5% profit. So a $2.00 show bet pays $2.10 netting the 5%.

The only "problem" is you have to win this bet 20 out of 21 times just to break even.

The old saying about the horse racetrack is you can beat a race, but you can't beat the races. Same goes with the NFL...you can beat a game, but you can't beat the bookies.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

sports bettors are all idiots

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

And the Tampa Bay Bucs fairy tale season comes to a screaming halt!

Earth to Tampa..."you didn't really think you were that good" did you!

14 looks like Romo with a beard! There is a reason he has been on 7 teams! ;)

• Options

I was surprised they made it that close in the second half. I went to bed on that game at the half.

• Options

Galaxy must be running thru the streets naked with his Bears up 38-3 at halftime.

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    Galaxy must be running thru the streets naked with his Bears up 38-3 at halftime.

a woodshed beating and ex-Wildcat Gabriel going for 100+ & two trips to the house

i plan on being nude all day

• Options

@galaxy27 said:

@erikthredd said:

a woodshed beating and ex-Wildcat Gabriel going for 100+ & two trips to the house

i plan on being nude all day

I kept checking ESPN's boxscore to see if Trubisky got that 7th td, still great game all around. 3-1 and looking good.

• Options

Just a couple things I noticed from yesterday, the Ryan Fitzpatrick faze is over with, The Bucs D is horrific, Cleveland is just snake bitten and they could be 4-0 if they had just a teeny bit of luck, the Pats will start to take charge of the AFC East.

• Options

The Tampa defense is terrible. They were terrible when Fitzpatrick was engineering his heroics. After a little excitement, the Tampa pro football season back to normal. That’s part of reason why I still follow the Eagles and Patriots.

• Options
    edited October 2, 2018 5:19PM

Now Dez is saying he wants to play for the Cowboys. I think he is stressing that he won’t get signed. https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/dez-bryant-id-rather-play-for-cowboys-if-not-ill-be-ready-to-play-somewhere-else/amp/

• Options

And Patrick Mahomes is a STUD

• Options

@perkdog said:

Buffalo had the 10th pick and traded it to KC and they drafted Mahomes . Ignoring the idiocy of the Bills another 9 teams passed on him.

Seems like they ID'ed the right guy and had the patience not to throw him in right away let him learn the pro game and it looks like it was brilliant.

Now if only they can get defense sorted out

• Options

@bronco2078 said:

@perkdog said:

Buffalo had the 10th pick and traded it to KC and they drafted Mahomes . Ignoring the idiocy of the Bills another 9 teams passed on him.

Seems like they ID'ed the right guy and had the patience not to throw him in right away let him learn the pro game and it looks like it was brilliant.

Now if only they can get defense sorted out

And if only Andy Reid doesn’t start doing his normal change it up after winning and get derailed thing.

• Options
    edited October 4, 2018 3:25PM

i think the Pats are going to blast the Colts tonight. dunno what the line is, but i'd lay whatever the number is. not only are the Colts are depleted on offense, but i'm pretty sure that Belichick & Brady are going to "properly" pay Indy back for deflategate

• Options

Pats are back but I don’t think they can compete with the Rams if it came down to it.

• Options

@perkdog said:
    Pats are back but I don’t think they can compete with the Rams if it came down to it.

the defense blows. Put out an APB for Hightower , maybe get him on a milk carton

• Options
    edited October 5, 2018 1:53PM

@perkdog said:
    Pats are back but I don’t think they can compete with the BEARS if it came down to it.

fixed. :p

@perkdog & @erikthredd ...... i'm thinking we need to have a friendly wager scheduled for Oct 21. i have no problem removing J.R. for an entire month and replacing him with an NE-related picture if Chicago can't do the deed...