Options

2018 NFL Regular Season Thread

Comments

• Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

@orioles93 said:

@perkdog said:
    Sam Bradford got cut. The only reason I’m even bringing up this joke of a QB is I seriously cannot think of any other player who has made more money from doing less

I vote Chase Daniel. $24.9 Million career earnings. 78 career passing attempts.

Yea the difference between these two players is over 100 Million though. Like I don’t think people realize that Bradford has made over 129 Million in his joke of a career

The thing is, Daniel literally did nothing. He stood on the sideline and made almost $25 million. I don't know if I would call Bradford's career a joke. His career was mostly destroyed by injuries. But yes, Bradford made a lot more money. I think that is mostly because if he wasn't always injured he could have been a decent QB.

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,357 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know what the odds are on this, but I am almost certain the Chiefs have won every coin
    toss this year to start the game. And they have always deferred because they want the ball to start the second half.
    I've watched every game and sure don't remember them losing the coin toss.

And I'm also almost certain they won every coin toss in the preseason.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭✭✭

the Bears threw for 135 yards and won by 32 points

Nathan Peterman makes Sam Bradford & Chase Daniel look like they deserve a raise

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,801 ✭✭✭✭✭

@orioles93 said:

@perkdog said:

@orioles93 said:

@perkdog said:
    Sam Bradford got cut. The only reason I’m even bringing up this joke of a QB is I seriously cannot think of any other player who has made more money from doing less

I vote Chase Daniel. $24.9 Million career earnings. 78 career passing attempts.

Yea the difference between these two players is over 100 Million though. Like I don’t think people realize that Bradford has made over 129 Million in his joke of a career

The thing is, Daniel literally did nothing. He stood on the sideline and made almost $25 million. I don't know if I would call Bradford's career a joke. His career was mostly destroyed by injuries. But yes, Bradford made a lot more money. I think that is mostly because if he wasn't always injured he could have been a decent QB.

For sure, "money for nothing" with Daniel is a much better example of that than Sam Bradford.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Saints Rams game was great B) . Brees could go another 4 or 5 years just like Brady by the looks of it

• Options
    edited November 6, 2018 12:16PM

the d-back who has allowed the most TDs in coverage this season (7) is none other than.....

.....Malcolm Butler

i will say this about BB -- when he allows players to walk, he typically looks like a genius

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 6, 2018 1:08PM

@galaxy27 said:
    the d-back who has allowed the most TDs in coverage this season (7) is none other than.....

.....Malcolm Butler

i will say this about BB -- when he allows players to walk, he typically looks like a genius

At times that is true but honestly who cares about this season,Pats fans would have been happy to just had him play in this past SB before leaving town. Had he played or not,he was never getting re-signed in NE anywhere near what he got paid after Belichick signed Gilmore.

Its too bad it ended the way it did because he'll forever be a NE/Boston legend after the Russell Wilson interception.
    I was lucky enough to grab this before someone else did right after the SB.

• Options
    edited November 6, 2018 1:12PM

@erikthredd said:

@galaxy27 said:

.....Malcolm Butler

At times that is true but honestly who cares about this season,Pats fans would have been happy to just had him play in this past SB before leaving town. Had he played or not,he was never getting re-signed in NE anywhere near what he got paid after Belichick signed Gilmore.

Its too bad it ended the way it did because he'll forever be a NE/Boston legend after the Russell Wilson interception.

i'm not trying to pull a Coin by stirring the pot; i know that name conjures up ill feelings. and it definitely wasn't a genius move to bench him during the SB. i just find it uncanny that players & coaches leave the Pats org and rarely excel. Butler ostensibly went from being the hero in one SB and the missing cog in another to being one of the worst corners in the league.

edit: very cool card!

• Options
    edited November 6, 2018 1:20PM

Yeah it has sucked watching some of NE's best players leave NE over the years when it comes down to Belichick's "get rid of them a year early over a year to late" because he didn't want to pay them. Butler was just added to a long list with players like Adam Vinatieri,Deion Branch,Richard Seymour & Vince Wilfork just to name a few.
    What is surprising with Butler is he's playing in a very similar defensive system that Vrabel runs with the Titans.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,495 ✭✭✭✭✭

`> @erikthredd said:

Yeah it has sucked watching some of NE's best players leave NE over the years when it comes down to Belichick's "get rid of them a year early over a year to late" because he didn't want to pay them. Butler was just added to a long list with players like Adam Vinatieri,Deion Branch,Richard Seymour & Vince Wilfork just to name a few.
    What is surprising with Butler is he's playing in a very similar defensive system that Vrabel runs with the Titans.

Belichick is a little like baseball’s Connie Mack, except he wins titles. Mack used to dump players before they were finished because he said he could get more for them. He also said that it was good business to be in the penent race for a while to build up attendance and then fade at the end of the year and finish third or forth. That way you made more money.

Belichick’s teams are in the hunt year after year, and it’s been that way since 2001. Salary caps are part of the reason why some of the names cited above are no longer Patriots. It’s also more fun to watch your team win than to celebrate “old timers’ day” with guys like Bret Farve who were past their prime.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

@erikthredd said:
    Dez to the Saints.

Plenty of targets there for Brees they are going to be even more fun to watch

• Options

@bronco2078 said:

@erikthredd said:
    Dez to the Saints.

Plenty of targets there for Brees they are going to be even more fun to watch

Yup and they're going all in on this season after adding Eli Apple & Dez in the past week.
    Maybe the stars align and we see a Brady/Brees Super Bowl.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,557 ✭✭✭✭✭

Reading that Dez might have tore his Achilles in practice today

• Options

Well that was quick,sounds like he never stayed in shape during all that time off. There's goes my 2tds vs Dallas prediction,at least my 10 win Cowboys prediction is alive for one more week. ;)
    He'll probably regret not taking that 3yr/21M offer from the Ravens at some point soon.

• Options

@perkdog said:
    Reading that Dez might have tore his Achilles in practice today

Wonder if he has been working out the last 12 weeks or just playing fortnite

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,460 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

For once, Jerry Jones looks a genuis.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

@grote15 said:

Well regardless of the injury which you can never predict I think it was a step in the right direction getting rid of his huge salary for the limited production and locker room nonsense that comes with him but he really didn’t do much to help Dak with Receivers. Honestly I feel he hung him out to dry with the WR’s he has.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 10, 2018 11:14AM

@perkdog said:

@grote15 said:

Well regardless of the injury which you can never predict I think it was a step in the right direction getting rid of his huge salary for the limited production and locker room nonsense that comes with him but he really didn’t do much to help Dak with Receivers. Honestly I feel he hung him out to dry with the WR’s he has.

They definitely need help at WR but Dez was no longer a top tiered receiver when Dallas let him go. Perhaps Cooper may turn into a viable option. I felt they should have gone to him more frequently last week vs Tenn.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

solid W today with some impressive feats

Mitch going for 355 & 4

A Rob bouncing back from a groin injury (133 & 2)

the D with 6 sacks & 3 turnovers

and Cody Parkey hitting the upright 4 different times

• Options

The Chiefs lost........... the coin toss for the first time this year.

• Options

Drew Brees is making a really strong bid for MVP. I believe I read on the TV screen
    he was 22-25 with three TDs. That's 88%. LOL.
    I would probably vote for him even being a huge Mahomes fan.

• Options

@Darin said:
    Drew Brees is making a really strong bid for MVP. I believe I read on the TV screen
    he was 22-25 with three TDs. That's 88%. LOL.
    I would probably vote for him even being a huge Mahomes fan.

i love me some Drew Brees. probably my fav player in all of football. if my Bears don't stun the world and make it to the SB, i want the Saints there so he has a shot at another ring.

• Options

The Saints just replaced Dez with Brandon Marshall.

• Options

Figured that would happen

• Options

couple of thoughts, and i cant decide which one is more difficult to comprehend...

how does a team rack up 500+ yards of offense and score 3 points? that seems mathematically freaking impossible. the Bucs must have been historically inept in the red zone yesterday.

how does Marvin Lewis still have a job? do you guys realize he has been Cincinnati's HC for 15 years and hasn't won a single playoff game? did Jerry Jones buy the Bengals without me knowing about it?

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    couple of thoughts, and i cant decide which one is more difficult to comprehend...

how does a team rack up 500+ yards of offense and score 3 points? that seems mathematically freaking impossible. the Bucs must have been historically inept in the red zone yesterday.

how does Marvin Lewis still have a job? do you guys realize he has been Cincinnati's HC for 15 years and hasn't won a single playoff game? did Jerry Jones buy the Bengals without me knowing about it?

The Bucs gained a ton of yards but the Redskins D really clamped down in the redzone. I believe their trips included an interception, missed field goal, made field goal, fumble that pushed out of redzone and then missed field goal, fumble, fumble.

What I Collect:

• Options

how about these apples...

The Redskins have led the entire game in all 6 of their wins. They've trailed the entire game in all 3 of their losses. They have not experienced a lead change in 10 weeks.

The last time Washington was atop the NFC East after week 10 was....................1991.

In 9 games, Alex Smith has thrown one second-half touchdown.

• Options

I still like Alex Smith. I'm not arguing with KC switching to the kid but Smith gets too much grief

• Options

@galaxy27 said:

I was just talking about this earlier today, It’s absolutely unbelievable that he is still coaching the Bengals

• Options

@bronco2078 said:
    I still like Alex Smith. I'm not arguing with KC switching to the kid but Smith gets too much grief

I can’t remember but I think it was 3 years ago when he literally went the entire season without throwing a TD pass to a WR. That is insanely hard to do lol. I mean he is just not a QB you can trust in my opinion.

• Options
    edited November 13, 2018 5:19PM

Week 11 coming up and currently I have Brees as my MVP frontrunner. the numbers are staggering. 21 TDs, 1 INT, 77.3%........and the most incredible thing of all is that he's doing all this with only one legit wideout. no WR not named Michael Thomas has more than 12 catches all year, which is just unbelievable. you'd think all defenses would have to do is double up on MT and shadow Kamara & Ingram coming out of the backfield to bring the train to a grinding halt, but apparently that's easier said than done as the Saints are averaging an NFL-best 36.67 ppg.

• Options

Le'Veon Bell is not reporting to the Steelers and will sit out the entire 2018 season to become an unrestricted free agent in 2019. I hope we see this guy get lowballed by every team that comes calling once free agency starts.

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    Le'Veon Bell is not reporting to the Steelers and will sit out the entire 2018 season to become an unrestricted free agent in 2019. I hope we see this guy get lowballed by every team that comes calling once free agency starts.

Honestly the more this guy sticks to his guns the more I respect it, I thought for sure he was going to report to get credit for the season.

• Options

I think that he is a fool. Football careers are short, and he has given up a year of his time. Now he has the reputation of a potentially disruptive force on any team that hires him. I’m sure someone will pick him up, but I hope it’s not the Patriots or the Eagles. Football is very much a team sport, and showboating and ego tripping can get very old, very fast.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭✭

You have to give props to Bell. He said he would sit out the entire season if they tagged him a second time and he did. For some reason fans always seem to criticize the player and not the team in these sort of situations. The reported offers from the Steelers were not in the neighborhood of the guaranteed money that Gurley received, so it looks like it was the Steelers that misread the elite RB market not Bell. Gurley had less leverage than Bell so the Steelers should have been offering more if they were serious about keeping him.

I am interested to see if his running style works outside of Pittsburgh. I was always amazed he didn't get tackled from behind more often by guys running down the line from the weak side.

Robb

• Options

i think Le'Veon grossly overplayed his hand. is he going to get the 30-40 mil guaranteed he's looking for on the open market? remains to be seen, but i think the way this entire situation played out will give a lot of GMs reason to pause. and lest we forget, he just forfeited $14.5 mil and a year of his NFL life vanished into thin air, never to return. i sure hope his agent knows what he's doing.

as for the Steelers, i don't think there will be one soul in the organization who loses a wink of sleep over his departure. i used the word 'punk' in my thread, but i can guarantee you there are teammates of his (namely his o-linemen) who are calling him far worse than that. quick, name a single time when players failed to side with another player when it came to the benjamins. you can't. this is an unprecedented situation.

James Conner made him expendable. he was the first Steeler in franchise history to accumulate 1085 yards from scrimmage & 10 touchdowns in the first 9 weeks of the season. wanna know how integral he has been? i heard a Vegas oddsmaker say that if Le'Veon had come back and assumed his starting role, the team would've been docked a point for every spread the rest of the season. arrivederci!

personally, i don't think he'll ever be the player he once was. wait until he goes to a garbage team like the Jets (rumored to be first in line for his services) and becomes the focal point of an offense. he will be giving up the league's best offensive line for one of the worst, and he'll be staring at 8 in the box more times than he cares to count. i sure hope had maxes out his next contract and those dolla dolla bills make him happy, cuz he's gonna need something to ameliorate the calamity which lies ahead. :D

• Options

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

Honestly the more this guy sticks to his guns the more I respect it, I thought for sure he was going to report to get credit for the season.

I'm always going to side with the players getting their money while they can but i would have had more respect for the guy had he sat the 10 games then went and helped his team try to win a SB instead of leaving his teammates high & dry. This reminds me of the Kawhi Leonard drama last season when his coaches & teammates all thought he was ready to play near the end of the season and he was hiding from everyone.

• Options
    edited November 15, 2018 8:05AM

The Steelers offense the past 10-12 years been able to plug almost anyone at starting RB and get solid production over that time span. Just off the top of my head I can think of Le'veon Bell, Jerome Bettis,Rashaad Mendenhall,Willie Parker,Deangelo Williams and now James Conner. I think Duce Staley was in there too at some point.
    Bell is obviously better than all of those RBs with maybe the exception of Bettis but you can understand why Pittsburgh's front office only went so far with their reported offers. I saw one yesterday that had it at 70-71M over the entire deal with just 17M guranteed.

on a sidenote,I wonder how much the Dez Bryant getting signed last week then tearing his Achilles the following day had to do with Bell's decision to sit the entire season.

• Options
    edited November 15, 2018 9:50AM

some team is going to pay Le'Veon an obscene amount of money and expect Le'Veon the Steeler type of production. if there is little to no talent surrounding him, i'm here to tell you that they are going to be sorely disappointed with the return on their investment. the Steelers made L Bell more than L Bell made the Steelers. dude is easily replaceable in their system; a third-round draft pick matched (and surpassed) anything he has ever done to this point of the season. any smart GM will recognize that and take two steps back before blowing their wad on this guy. but then again, i'm of the notion that there are a lot of dumb (and highly desperate) teams floating around, so who knows, he might get every cent he wants after all.

if we've learned anything from all of the exhausting GOAT threads, it's that talent around great players matters greatly. if Joe M doesn't have Rice & Craig at his disposal, is he 4-0 in the big game? highly doubtful. if Emmitt Smith had played for any team other than the Cowboys, is he the NFL's all-time leading rusher? zero chance. if Patrick Mahomes is the starting quarterback of the Buffalo Bills, is he a household name at this point of the season? hell no. kid is a talent, no question about it, but he's in a picture-perfect situation. think about this. his fourth option is Sammy Watkins, who would be the first option on many other sorry-ass teams. David Johnson is one of the best RBs in the game; at this juncture he's averaging 3.4 per carry and hasn't had a 100-yard game all season. why? because his team is in the midst of a reclamation project. matters absolutely not how beastly he is when the rest of his team royally sucks. on and on and on we could go with examples to support this.

it's for the aforementioned reason why I consider Brady to be the greatest of all time. and mind you, contrary to the av i currently have on display, i don't like him. nor do i like his team. or his coach. or any shred of the organization for that matter. but yo i'm just keeping it real here. the guy has consistently made it to the promise land with relative hand-me-downs, and that is something that very few upper-echelon QBs have been able to say. in my book, that's how you get thrust to the very top in the GOAT conversation.

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

I'm always going to side with the players getting their money while they can but i would have had more respect for the guy had he sat the 10 games then went and helped his team try to win a SB instead of leaving his teammates high & dry. This reminds me of the Kawhi Leonard drama last season when his coaches & teammates all thought he was ready to play near the end of the season and he was hiding from everyone.

The thing is that the team was going to run him into the ground with 400 touches, sure they offered him a very decent contract which I personally would have accepted but after not getting the offer he wanted and to then play under the tag again and getting hurt wasnt a risk he wanted to take. I see both sides of the argument, again for me a bird in the hand is better than two in the bush.

• Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭✭

If Bell had played and broken his ankle in the pre-season he would get a 30-40 million dollar contract this off season. I don't think holding out will have any real impact.

I don't put much credence into what a couple of offensive linemen that were disappointed Bell didn't report say. Name a single time a player stood up to a football team and held out the entire season?

I also agree that he will struggle on another team because he most likely will have to sign with a bottom dweller to get the payday he is looking for.

Robb

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,801 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Giants would be very smart if they could pull off a "Herschel Walker" type deal like the Cowboys wisely did back then.

The question is are the Browns really that stupid to do it?

• Options

If Im the Browns I’m staying put and drafting the best OL and DB in next year’s draft. And offering Lev Bell a big contract.

• Options

@perkdog said:
    If Im the Browns I’m staying put and drafting the best OL and DB in next year’s draft. And offering Lev Bell a big contract.

The Browns have bigger issues to throw money at than RB. Chubb and Johnson are a decent RB combo. They'd be smart to spend big money on OL and WR.

What I Collect:

• Options

@orioles93 said:

@perkdog said:

The Browns have bigger issues to throw money at than RB. Chubb and Johnson are a decent RB combo. They'd be smart to spend big money on OL and WR.

I honestly forgot about Chubb and agreed about OL but you can never have enough DB talent

• Options

a year from now BEll is interviewed and says "would you like fries with your order sir?"

• Options

@stevek said:

The Giants would be very smart if they could pull off a "Herschel Walker" type deal like the Cowboys wisely did back then.

The question is are the Browns really that stupid to do it?

Odell Beckham is a very talented player, but he is also a head case. He could be a disruption for any team that gets him. I would much rather have a guy like Julio Jones who is just as good or better. He has his head on straignt.

For those who think the Steels have not played their cards right, remember that teams are also working with salary cap issues. That can effect what they can offer a player.