Home Sports Talk
Options

2018 NFL Regular Season Thread

Comments

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

DB is an all around nice guy. You can tell by his actions and by the interviews he gives.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

Brownies taking down the Broncos last night, Mayfield is a gamer this Browns team is looking like it’s going in the right direction. I’m officially an undercover Browns fan

• Options

Love that the Pack lost and even better that the Giants got shut out 👍

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,220 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hat & Tshirt day for the Bears,hopefully for NE tonight too.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    Love that the Pack lost and even better that the Giants got shut out 👍

Beating the Giants is about the only thing the Eagles did right this season. The Gants are not as bad as last year, but they have long way to go to be contenders.

The Giants can stay in the hole. I have never liked them.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,131 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erikthredd said:

Hat & Tshirt day for the Bears

damn skippy. clinching & putting ARodg out of his misery.........today is a good day

• Options

Derick Henry looking like Gurley all of a sudden

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@galaxy27 said:

@erikthredd said:

damn skippy. clinching & putting ARodg out of his misery.........today is a good day

Hey man....how long do you have to wear that Pat's logo?!

• Options
    edited December 17, 2018 4:26AM

@DIMEMAN said:

@galaxy27 said:

@erikthredd said:

Hey man....how long do you have to wear that Pat's logo?!

His Bears have been rolling since the switch, it might be bringing him/the Bears good luck

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,302 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looking for a big game from the Ravens, I think they will find a way to beat the Chargers.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • Options

And the Raven defense really stepped up and throttled the Chargers.
    And with Philip Rivers' lousy performance he is officially out of the running for MVP.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • Options
    PatsGuy5000PatsGuy5000 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

Wow, Ravens dominate the Chargers. So much parody this year, path to the SB is wide open

• Options
    edited December 23, 2018 5:30AM

That Ravens D is tough, they are sneaky good. I don’t think anyone would want to face them, I don’t hate them anymore now that they benched that FRAUD Flacco

• Options

@perkdog said:
    That Ravens D is tough, they are sneaky good. I don’t think anyone would want to face them, I don’t hate them anymore now that they benched that FRAUD Flacco

I always like to see Rivers' get beat especially when he's at his whiniest, as he was last night.
    He's the biggest whiner, bitcher, yeller, sob in the NFL and I love when he loses and plays like crap,
    which admittedly lately hasn't been very often.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
  • Options

The perfect NFL QB as far as temperament would be somewhere between Aaron Rodgers and Philip Rivers.
    With Rodgers its like Spock playing QB, there's no emotion whatsoever. Makes it seem like he doesn't care
    if he wins or loses.
    With Rivers' he goes way overboard with the emotions. He goes through the gamut, every game is a
    Shakespearean tragedy with him, whether the Chargers win or lose.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
  • Options

@Darin said:

@perkdog said:

I always like to see Rivers' get beat especially when he's at his whiniest, as he was last night.
    He's the biggest whiner, bitcher, yeller, sob in the NFL and I love when he loses and plays like crap,

Of course he acts crazy when he's on the field,he's got like 50 kids and has to hold it in when he's at home. ;)

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erikthredd said:

@Darin said:

@perkdog said:

Of course he acts crazy when he's on the field,he's got like 50 kids and has to hold it in when he's at home. ;)

I pretty much don't trust any man who accidentally has ten or more kids , it usually means you are stupid. I really don't trust anyone who has ten kids because they meant to .

• Options
    edited December 23, 2018 10:30AM

@bronco2078 said:

@erikthredd said:

@Darin said:

@perkdog said:

I pretty much don't trust any man who accidentally has ten or more kids , it usually means you are stupid. I really don't trust anyone who has ten kids because they meant to .

He should be able to field his own football team by now. They could turn it into a reality show football game...Team Rivers vs Team Cromartie. :p

• Options

Regardless of how much money you have ten kids is too much, it’s irresponsible in my opinion. But agreed Rivers is a crybaby but not nearly as much as Tomlinson was when he disappeared against the Pats 😂

• Options

I don't know what the playoff picture is in the NFC but I'd like to see the Saints with a 1st round bye. Brady can't win the super bowl he won't get in so lets see Drew get it. He is such a regular season stat whore he needs another ring though.

• Options

the saints suck as much as pittsburgh

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is it me or does Mahomes look like he's really off on his passes since last week vs SD?

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

@grote15 said:
    Is it me or does Mahomes look like he's really off on his passes since last week vs SD?

16 weeks in and you are finally seeing Andy Reid the coach mold Pat into drew Bledsoe :D

• Options

Trust that Andy Reid will fix what’s not broke

• Options

Nevermindl..fantasy championship game jitters, LOL..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

@bronco2078 said:

@grote15 said:

16 weeks in and you are finally seeing Andy Reid the coach mold Pat into drew Bledsoe :D

Classic case of speaking too soon from Bronco, actually Mahomes with a pretty good game after a 1-7 start passing.

This game is typical of what its like to be a Chiefs fan. When you need a big stop by your defense
    you know you're not going to get it. Patrick Mahomes knows the defense is not going to come up
    with a big stop. In my opinion it makes what he's done that much more remarkable knowing
    there is tremendous pressure on him to perform.

Two huge mistakes, the fumble by Williams giving the Seahawks the ball at the K.C. twenty,
    and Lucas roughing Janokowski on a missed field goal.

Along with the other 8-10 huge mistakes our secondary makes every game, which I factor in
    before the game even starts.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
  • Options

When will the Chiefs fire the defensive coordinator, Bob Sutton? Something has to happen there.
    He surely can't be with them next year after they give up 40 points every game.
    I know its the players that have to make the plays, but this is ridiculous. Its time to bring in someone
    new who knows something about defense.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,014 ✭✭✭✭✭

Was stated during this and last weeks game that KC is the highest penalized team in the NFL. That could really hurt in a playoff game.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

@BLUEJAYWAY said:
    Was stated during this and last weeks game that KC is the highest penalized team in the NFL. That could really hurt in a playoff game.

Yes, and I think a majority of those penalties are on the Chiefs defensive backs for holding
    and interference calls. Every time we're on defense and the ball is in the air every Chiefs fan in the world cringes
    knowing a flag is probably going to fly.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
  • Options

I still think the Chiefs are a team to take serious but there is two dark horses that I wouldn’t want to face in a playoff game and they are the Bears and Ravens. Tough defensive teams with QB’s that can run when they need to and get crucial first downs when everything breaks down.

• Options

@perkdog said:
    I still think the Chiefs are a team to take serious but there is two dark horses that I wouldn’t want to face in a playoff game and they are the Bears and Ravens. Tough defensive teams with QB’s that can run when they need to and get crucial first downs when everything breaks down.

This same reasoning is why I don't want the Pats to meet up with Houston & Deshaun Watson at any point in the playoffs. In their week one game he was just coming back from his acl injury but he ran all of over them in their meeting last season when he was healthy and it took a Brady to Cooks TD with seconds to go to beat them. Losing Demaryius Thomas to an achilles injury will hurt their offense though.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,131 ✭✭✭✭✭

the higher seeded teams in the upcoming playoffs better keep their heads on a swivel

the surprises are forthcoming

• Options

The Packers and Saints look awful today. If this is a preview of the Saints' offense, they are going be going home after the first playoff game.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    edited December 30, 2018 2:54PM

Since Steve loves telling us how the Giants should have drafted a QB with the 2nd pick over Saquon Barkley I want to show him how the three best QB options that NY had with that 2nd pick finished this season as starters. (Lamar Jackson was never going in the top 10 of the draft)

Sam Darnold 4-9 as starter (Jets finish 4-12 after going 5-11 in 2017)
    Josh Allen 5-6 as starter (Bills finish 6-10 after going 9-7 in 2017)
    Josh Rosen 3-9 as starter (Cardinals are currently 3-12 after going 8-8 in 2017)

NY drafts Barkley who finishes with:
    1307 rushing yards
    11 rushing tds
    89 receptions
    721 receiving yards
    4 receiving tds

The Jets,Bills & Cardinals draft QBs and their 2018 win totals all went down from the previous season.
    The Giants drafted a RB with the 2nd pick and their 2018 wins total goes up three games from the previous season.

Case Closed. B)

• Options

One of the Fox commentators said the Browns' coach's job is on the line. Can you believe that! The guy takes them from 0-16 to a near .500 season, and the management is thinking about canning him. :o

• Options
    edited December 30, 2018 4:04PM

@BillJones said:
    The Packers and Saints look awful today. If this is a preview of the Saints' offense, they are going be going home after the first playoff game.

Saints had nothing to play for and Brees and Kamara didn't play so you can throw that game out.

• Options

You're right.

• Options

Hats off to Pat Mahomes for throwing 50tds in his first year as starter. Most QBs don't throw 50 in their first two seasons combined.

• Options
    edited December 30, 2018 6:17PM

@erikthredd said:
    Hats off to Pat Mahomes for throwing 50tds in his first year as starter. Most QBs don't throw 50 in their first two seasons combined.

Only Peyton Manning and Patrick Mahomes have thrown for 5,000 passing yards and 50 TD's in the same season.
    Of course Mahomes did it in his first season as a starter.

But he wasn't really sharp today. Had one interception but should have had three. The Raiders
    dropped two of them that were right in their chests.
    Chiefs defense did step up when they had to in a big game. Raiders had 4 turnovers in their first 4 possessions,
    two picks and two fumbles. Oakland never had a chance to recover from that.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,716 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erikthredd said:
    Since Steve loves telling us how the Giants should have drafted a QB with the 2nd pick over Saquon Barkley I want to show him how the three best QB options that NY had with that 2nd pick finished this season as starters. (Lamar Jackson was never going in the top 10 of the draft)

Josh Rosen 3-9 as starter (Cardinals are currently 3-12 after going 8-8 in 2017)

1307 rushing yards
    11 rushing tds
    89 receptions
    721 receiving yards
    4 receiving tds

The Jets,Bills & Cardinals draft QBs and their 2018 win totals all went down from the previous season.
    The Giants drafted a RB with the 2nd pick and their 2018 wins total goes up three games from the previous season.

Case Closed. B)

I predicted after the draft choices were made, that the Giants may win some additional games this season with Barkley, but that it wouldn't make a discernible difference in the playoff hunt, and that's exactly what happened. The Giants languished in last place throughout the season.

The more important point is moving forward. We all know that drafted QB's often take at least a few years to develop, and some take longer than that, sometimes much longer. There is no way a QB, unless they absolutely fall flat on their face, can be accurately analyzed in their first season as to how they will progress in the future.

Meanwhile, the Giants still have a QB issue that needs to be addressed, or as I predicted they will languish in mediocrity for some years to come. I don't think that most Giants fans are satisfied with 5 games won per season with a stud RB, for the foreseeable future.

<<< The Giants drafted a RB with the 2nd pick and their 2018 wins total goes up three games from the previous season. >>>

BTW: the Giants last season finished 3-13 and this season finished 5-11. I took out my calculator and discovered that their win total went up 2 games, not 3 games as you mentioned. ;)

• Options

Travis Kelce broke Gronk's single season receiving yards record for a TE and finished the season with 1336 yards.

Kittles for the 49'ers however broke Gronk's record and surpassed Kelce with a monster game and if
    I figured correctly finished with 1377 yards.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
  • Options

Mayfield with the record for rookie TD passes.

• Options

@stevek said:

@erikthredd said:

1307 rushing yards
    11 rushing tds
    89 receptions
    721 receiving yards
    4 receiving tds

Case Closed. B)

I predicted after the draft choices were made, that the Giants may win some additional games this season with Barkley, but that it wouldn't make a discernible difference in the playoff hunt, and that's exactly what happened. The Giants languished in last place throughout the season.

The more important point is moving forward. We all know that drafted QB's often take at least a few years to develop, and some take longer than that, sometimes much longer. There is no way a QB, unless they absolutely fall flat on their face, can be accurately analyzed in their first season as to how they will progress in the future.

Meanwhile, the Giants still have a QB issue that needs to be addressed, or as I predicted they will languish in mediocrity for some years to come. I don't think that most Giants fans are satisfied with 5 games won per season with a stud RB, for the foreseeable future.

<<< The Giants drafted a RB with the 2nd pick and their 2018 wins total goes up three games from the previous season. >>>

BTW: the Giants last season finished 3-13 and this season finished 5-11. I took out my calculator and discovered that their win total went up 2 games, not 3 games as you mentioned. ;)

My Minor Mistake aside the Giants still gained more wins going with their RB than your three QB teams had combined when they all went backwards in the win column.

And you can throw out any of your observations or comments about the future when you made this QB/RB debate a weekly thing here every time the Giants lost. You repeatedly made it all about 2018 and now that i point out that your expertise is full of crap you want to move the goal posts.

This is definitely a Case Closed just like when the Bears eats an Eagle next sunday night.

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@stevek said:

@erikthredd said:

1307 rushing yards
    11 rushing tds
    89 receptions
    721 receiving yards
    4 receiving tds

Case Closed. B)

My Minor Mistake aside the Giants still gained more wins going with their RB than your three QB teams had combined when they all went backwards in the win column.

And you can throw out any of your observations or comments about the future when you made this QB/RB debate a weekly thing here every time the Giants lost. You repeatedly made it all about 2018 and now that i point out that your expertise is full of crap you want to move the goal posts.

This is definitely a Case Closed just like when the Bears eats an Eagle next sunday night.

You seem to conveniently forget the entire premise of the debate. It's not about my "expertise", it's about an NFL team doing things the right way to try to eventually win a Super Bowl.

No sense in regurgitating the whole debate. Suffice to say that if a team is rebuilding, and they don't have a young talented QB with proven potential already in place, and they have a high first round draft choice, then the correct strategy is to draft a QB.

All things being equal, the odds say a team will win a Super Bowl only once every 32 years. So it's not an easy thing to do. Your example of the three teams last season drafting a QB and their win numbers declining, equating that to not employing the right strategy is simply a premise based on lack of understanding for a multitude of reasons.

• Options

Steve,this is where you're full of crap, you think your "strategy" is the only way to start a rebuild when from the start we've all said it can be done in different ways.

Had they grabbed a QB he would have gone to a Giants team with no run game, 2/5ths of a busted up OL and one great WR. Oh yeah he also would have held a clipboard for 98% of the offensive snaps because Eli was not going anywhere.

Now they landed the 6th pick for this upcoming draft to get their QB. He'll have a top 3 RB,a top 5 WR and plenty of early to mid round picks to add to their OL after trading off players at the deadline. Whoever this new QB will be has two star players at his disposal before he's even been drafted.

Now go look at the offenses for those three QBs mentioned:
    Bills (Shady Mccoy and a bunch of jags. Mccoy is so bad now his rookie QB ran for more rushing yards than Shady in 2 less games and 80 less carries)
    Jets (Jermaine Kearse & Quincy Enunwa are probably the best targets for Darnold and these are 3-4th type WRs. NY will have a ton of money to add pieces,maybe even LeVeon Bell but they still need to add additional playmakers regardless)
    Cardinals (Larry Fitzgerald & David Johnson are their best on offense. Larry is getting up their in age and Johnson isn't the same FF stud he was just a couple years ago.)

All three team got their QB now need to go add playmakers in the draft & free agency. LeVeon Bell is the only free agent thats on the Barkley/ODBj type level and he may not land with any of these three teams.
    NY took the opposite approach with their playmakers first then get the QB.

This whole argument all season came down to you thinking your "strategy" is the blueprint to success when its not when there are other ways to build a team whether you finally agree or not.

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    Steve,this is where you're full of crap, you think your "strategy" is the only way to start a rebuild when from the start we've all said it can be done in different ways.

Had they grabbed a QB he would have gone to a Giants team with no run game, 2/5ths of a busted up OL and one great WR. Oh yeah he also would have held a clipboard for 98% of the offensive snaps because Eli was not going anywhere.

Now they landed the 6th pick for this upcoming draft to get their QB. He'll have a top 3 RB,a top 5 WR and plenty of early to mid round picks to add to their OL after trading off players at the deadline. Whoever this new QB will be has two star players at his disposal before he's even been drafted.

Now go look at the offenses for those three QBs mentioned:
    Bills (Shady Mccoy and a bunch of jags. Mccoy is so bad now his rookie QB ran for more rushing yards than Shady in 2 less games and 80 less carries)
    Jets (Jermaine Kearse & Quincy Enunwa are probably the best targets for Darnold and these are 3-4th type WRs. NY will have a ton of money to add pieces,maybe even LeVeon Bell but they still need to add additional playmakers regardless)
    Cardinals (Larry Fitzgerald & David Johnson are their best on offense. Larry is getting up their in age and Johnson isn't the same FF stud he was just a couple years ago.)

All three team got their QB now need to go add playmakers in the draft & free agency. LeVeon Bell is the only free agent thats on the Barkley/ODBj type level and he may not land with any of these three teams.
    NY took the opposite approach with their playmakers first then get the QB.

This whole argument all season came down to you thinking your "strategy" is the blueprint to success when its not when there are other ways to build a team whether you finally agree or not.

Of course there are "other ways", we all know that. There are always different variables involved.

However considering where the Giants were and the team they had going into that draft, the right strategy was to select a QB with their first pick. A possible exception would be an absolute stone cold, can't miss, Pro Bowl left tackle. But certainly not a running back.

Hey, whether it's the NFL draft, business, or whatever...the game plan should be to employ the right strategy and see how it all works out. Sometimes you can do everything the right way, and events beyond your control can affect things negatively.

Perhaps in the end it will somehow work out for the Giants, but I doubt it for reasons already expressed. They simply are not playing the NFL chessboard in the wisest manner, and when you do that, you usually lose.

• Options

Broncos fired coach Vance Joseph.
    And this just in.
    Going to be a rough 15 year stretch for Chargers, Broncos, and Raiders fans as the Chiefs have
    the best QB in football and will be winning the division pretty much every year for the
    foreseeable future. Now they can concentrate on patching holes in the defense, although they
    did show they actually have some talent at DB by not allowing the Raiders a TD.

Mahomes should take the MVP with the 50 TD passes and 5,000 yards.
    If not, what the heck, he's only 23. Should win 5 or 6 of them by the time he's done.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
  • Options

Sorry, the above was kind of my 'I told you so' post referring to my signature line which
    I put in shortly after the Chiefs traded Alex Smith.

No more bragging about Mahomes and how the Chiefs will dominate the AFC west in the future.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
  • Options

No surprise about Vance Joseph or Todd Bowles but what the biggest surprise is the Bengals finally moving on from Marv Lewis, took them over a decade of nonsense to realize he won’t get them anywhere, maybe they will realize that about Dalton too.

• Options

@Darin said:
    Sorry, the above was kind of my 'I told you so' post referring to my signature line which
    I put in shortly after the Chiefs traded Alex Smith.

No more bragging about Mahomes and how the Chiefs will dominate the AFC west in the future.

Brag all you want, Mahomes is awesome and every Chiefs fan should be fist pumping about it