Home U.S. Coin Forum

Explain your handle

Comments

• gecko109gecko109 Posts: 8,231
    I have had a keen affinity for all reptiles since around age 5 (even considered herpitology as a profession in choosing a college). But of all the different reptiles, the many varieties of geckos are among my favorites. I wont share with you the reasoning for the number 109.image
  • MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    "Explain your handle"

Do I need to? image
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭✭
    in the movie The Natural Robert Redford breaks his bat WONDERBOY that he crafted from a tree struck by lightning when he was a kid......disappointed, he walks to the dugout and the batboy lets him use his bat that he also had carved himself.....the bat bore the inscription SAVOY SPECIAL (presumably his last name was Savoy)

and i guess i liked the movie

greg

www.brunkauctions.com

• greg, I guessed correctly. Respectfully, John Curlisimage
  • Just a nickname somebody hung on me a long time ago, an elaboration of my first name. I wish I was always wise like Obi-Wan appears to be, but unfortunately... image

Edit to add: Oh, and the 115 refers to January 15th, an important anniversary for me.
    Exclusively collecting Capped Bust Halves in VF to AU, especially rarity 3 and up.
    Joe G.
    Great BST purchases completed with commoncents123, p8nt, blu62vette and Stuart. Great coin swaps completed with rah1959, eyoung429 and Zug. Top-notch consignment experience with Russ.
  • tmcsr69tmcsr69 Posts: 1,307
    Mine is also fairly simple. TMC is my initials and my son has the same name making me Sr. I graduated high school in 1969 and has always been a favorite number of mine. I use the same handle for my email, ebay and just about every web site I have ever joined.
    Crazy old man from Missouri

• << <i>I have had a keen affinity for all reptiles since around age 5 (even considered herpitology as a profession in choosing a college). But of all the different reptiles, the many varieties of geckos are among my favorites. I wont share with you the reasoning for the number 109.image >>

It is amazing to watch them stick onto the glass. And they are also very beautiful.
  • adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    A boring topic for some folks.

My handle is my name, "Adam Lane".

The "us" is there because some web site refused to use "adamlane" and suggested "adamlaneus" since my country of origin is the U. S. A. Whatever. I went with it.

My eBay handle is alane2004. They did not like adamlane or alane. But it was the year 2004 and they suggested alane2004. Whatever. I went with it.

Also, lots of folks think my name is 'alan' because of this. Just a little confusion to add to the world.

I've not really been one for hiding behind a persona. Or maybe I am dull and have no imagination.
  • ddbirdddbird Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭
    Parents nickname for me.

Originally Birdie...then d-bird (first name is Daniel) and DD.

ddbird is a combination of the three

• Joe1831......... 18 posts since 2001. You gotta slow down man, pace yourself!
  • BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I explained my handle, I'd have to kill you. You probably have heard that already, and hopefully you have the wisdom to still be able to read this post.
    3 rim nicks away from Good
  • This is a G-IV (Gee Four) manufactured by Gulfstream right here in Georgia & I'm a Driver.

• coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,703 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>My wife and I collect bears of all types; Teddy bears, teapots, salt & pepper shakers, magnets, cookie jars,music boxes and Boyds bears. A lot of fuzzy and furry creature abide in our abode. Bear >>

Here are a FEW of my bears for you Bearimage

Stefanie

• coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,703 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh, yes I forgot.....my handle.... Coins Are Funimage at least to me they are.

They are fun when you find that special coin.
    They are fun when you sell a coin and make a profit.
    There simply fun to look at!
    So on and so on........

Stefanie
  • DieClashDieClash Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭
    <---------------- Joined in 2006. I was rather amazed that on a coin forum no one had adopted DieClash. I'm enamored with the error and I was equally enamored with the "handle" and since no one else claimed it as their own, I was proud too. Afterall a Coin forum should be dominated by coin-centric avatars and usernames IMHO.
    "Please help us keep these boards professional and informative…. And fun." - DW
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BONGO HURTLES ALONG THE RAIN SODDEN HIGHWAY OF LIFE ON UNDERINFLATED BALD RETREAD TIRES
  • illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, I grew up in Illinois and went to school at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Go Illini!!

And illini001-illini419 were already taken... well not really... image
  • Mine's a nod to my time spent as a corpsman in the Navy c.1970's......we had this little conflict going on in S.E. Asia where it's mostly jungle and hot. Hot = fever. No idea whose avatar I'm using, but it was there so I borrowed it.
  • astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My handle is a nickname given to me by some of my fellow graduate students when I was doing my dissertation research on the effect of spaceflight on drug toxicity and efficacy. An "astrorat" is what the Russian space program called the rats that were flown on the Cosmos missions. How flattering! image

Lane
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • deadmunnydeadmunny Posts: 165 ✭✭

Every forum has to have this thread. Well, I like to play poker. Do I suck at it? You decide.
  • I like corn on the cob, and coins
  • bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was a nickname given to me by my favorite Aunt when I was a small boy. She and I used to go fishing together when I would visit my Grandmother. The name is from a character that Red Skelton used to play. Anyone out there remember Red Skelton? Shag
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It was a nickname given to me by my favorite Aunt when I was a small boy. She and I used to go fishing together when I would visit my Grandmother. The name is from a character that Red Skelton used to play. Anyone out there remember Red Skelton? Shag >>

Sure. He was an Indiana boy.

I only vaguely remember that character though. Now Clem Kadiddlehopper ain't no one gonna fergit.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Or Gertrude. Respectfully, John Curlis
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>It was a nickname given to me by my favorite Aunt when I was a small boy. She and I used to go fishing together when I would visit my Grandmother. The name is from a character that Red Skelton used to play. Anyone out there remember Red Skelton? Shag >>

Sure. He was an Indiana boy.

I only vaguely remember that character though. Now Clem Kadiddlehopper ain't no one gonna fergit. >>

or: Freddie the Freeloader ...

( Opa stands for: Grandpa in German )
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • wybritwybrit Posts: 6,961 ✭✭✭
    Chances are no one will ever read this, if they have a life. image

It started as my ebay handle.

"wyobrit" was already taken image , so I shortened it to "wybrit"

My old signature line was "A WYoming born, BRITish bred Minnesota exile," but I have recently escaped from MN and returned to the rockies - my exile ended after 11 years.

I still root for the Wyoming Cowboys (what can best be described as "penance" these days) and attend games whenever the wife lets me. Only 41 days until kickoff!

I am bilingual - I speak both the Queen's English and "American." Grew up with a British accent but then lost it.

I hadn't seen this thread in all of these years because I know nothing about US Coins and only come here to read the "flame threads" or post pictures of Brit coins for my occasional amusement. image
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Tvac

Tony - my first name

Vac - What most people shorten my hard to pronounce last name to...
    -Rome is Burning

• Ken - Coin Collector image
    -Ken
  • I do a bit of this, and a bit of that - collecting, dealing, investing, etc.

merse

• Its what my wife says everytime I buy a new coin.
  • tmcsr69tmcsr69 Posts: 1,307

<< <i>Its what my wife says everytime I buy a new coin. >>

Crazy old man from Missouri
  • LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,710 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

image >>

Hey 69, I thought this was your post initially and was thinking what a cool wife! Coins must really get her going!
  • When I first got the internet and had to create an aol screenname, I loved the show Hogan's Heroes. I tried a bunch of different, more relevent handles, but all were taken. I finally was able to use this, standing for Colonel Hogan, the main character in the show. I've used it for a number of handles over the last decade+
    ttt
    Tempus fugit.
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

image >>

Hey 69, I thought this was your post initially and was thinking what a cool wife! Coins must really get her going! >>

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • I've never dressed up, been to a convention, or any of that mess... but I always liked the haunting tune Captain Picard played on the flute at the end of the episode where he was abducted by the probe.

Really... I'm a fan of the original series.

In hindsight, something short and sweet would have made more sense... but that's life

• I love hikng in New Hampshire, (NH part) and have hiked all 48 (48 part) mountains in NH over 4000 feet. (4000 part)

NH484000

Looking to buy Morgans in ACG, INS, IGA, Old PCI photo, and Hannes Tulving holders.
  • YaHaYaHa Posts: 4,220
    My handle is Goldylocks.. Good Coin buddy,, Driving 80 mph, in the heart of South Carolina on I-95.. All clear, push the pedal to the metal and don't let the Bears bite you in your petal. Good Buddy.

Breaker, breaker this is Goldylocks.. I know a coin shop in Bama, that they have big buxom women and 50cent drafts, it's not like this place on the board that has all the Dramma... So good Buddy, meet at the Coinshop off of Rt.90 just east of Georgia, oh yea she be there too. Just wait until Sundown and don't frown, have 2 or more brewskis and be that Clown that we all know ya r.

10-4 Good Coin Buddy see ya there.

• << <i>in the movie The Natural Robert Redford breaks his bat WONDERBOY that he crafted from a tree struck by lightning when he was a kid......disappointed, he walks to the dugout and the batboy lets him use his bat that he also had carved himself.....the bat bore the inscription SAVOY SPECIAL (presumably his last name was Savoy)

and i guess i liked the movie

greg >>

Correct, the batboy's name was Bobby Savoy.

Love that movie too! Great time period.
    Looking to buy Morgans in ACG, INS, IGA, Old PCI photo, and Hannes Tulving holders.
  • i'm heavy ....and my name is doug
  • dohdoh Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭
    It's what Homer Simpson says image
    Positive BST transactions with: too many names to list! 36 at last count.
  • and y'all are lucky....sometimes i use bigsexyimage
  • Can we change our handle?
  • RyGuyRyGuy Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭
  • dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

image >>

Hey 69, I thought this was your post initially and was thinking what a cool wife! Coins must really get her going! >>

Outstanding!!!image
    image...There's always time for coin collecting. image

<< <i>Can we change our handle? >>

At least you picked one of the best episodes. image
    Tempus fugit.
  • RBinTexRBinTex Posts: 4,328
    I'm in TX
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

It's what I do.
  • TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi,I'm Dave from Tennessee!
    Trade $'s
  • LotsoLuckLotsoLuck Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭
    Not as in someone who has it, more like said in a sarcastic tone.

Edited to add, Just pulled it out of the bag. Dear 'ol Mum use to say, "Lots of Luck Kiddo"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file