Home U.S. Coin Forum

225th Anniversary Enhanced Uncirculated Coin Set (17XC) (SOLD OUT! )

Comments

• coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,453 ✭✭✭✭✭

these are fdi ana Denver- top of the line

• pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,577 ✭✭✭
    edited November 16, 2017 11:35PM

Just won a PCGS FS 70 set for $120.50 plus $3 shipping minus $9.65 ebay bucks. Looks like they might be getting closer to $100.

• BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,361 ✭✭✭✭✭

Told you guys that, after I won mine, they would continue downward :open_mouth:

For the record...I am quite fine WITHOUT the "special labels" but, if I can get it for no real extra cost, I am fine with "First Strike" but still not a fan of "first day of issue".....

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

some sets are selling for under 100
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/2017-S-10-Coin-Set-Denver-ANA-Enhanced-Unc-PCGS-SP70-Washington-DC-1-of-1000-FD/192352601813?hash=item2cc91bc6d5:g:gNcAAOSwPpZZ9nqS
    maybe the low prices on graded sets is slowing the prices on the raw sets down

i bet that texasgse guy is down money for the year. I know he got burned for thousands just on the Kennedy gold coins

• pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,577 ✭✭✭
    edited November 17, 2017 9:20AM

@coinpalice said:
    some sets are selling for under 100
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/2017-S-10-Coin-Set-Denver-ANA-Enhanced-Unc-PCGS-SP70-Washington-DC-1-of-1000-FD/192352601813?hash=item2cc91bc6d5:g:gNcAAOSwPpZZ9nqS
    maybe the low prices on graded sets is slowing the prices on the raw sets down

That seller is contradicting in the description in the set. It is not ANA but Washington D.C. It can't be both. Still good price.

• bestdaybestday Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭✭

@pf70collector said:
    Just won a PCGS FS 70 set for $120.50 plus $3 shipping minus $9.65 ebay bucks. Looks like they might be getting closer to $100.

The death knell for raw sets ....... graded sets losing value ....way under cost .. raw sets will follow ....sellout or not 225th enhanced sets are over :#:#

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,549 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bestday said:

@pf70collector said:

The death knell for raw sets ....... graded sets losing value ....way under cost .. raw sets will follow ....sellout or not 225th enhanced sets are over :#:#

I'm SHOCKED SHOCKED SHOCKED to hear you talk that way.

@bestday said:

@pf70collector said:

Graded sets may be saturated but that is, at best, only indirectly related to set prices. For what it's worth, I've seen an 80% increase in my sales of quarter sets and half dollars in the last 2 weeks with no price change.

[I'm sold out on cents and Sacs.]

• ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,996 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@bestday said:

@pf70collector said:

But he is right. The downward spiral is just in its early stages!! The truth is our there before your very eyes!! This set will be a numismatic footnote by mid 2018. Sell em if you got em!!

@Manorcourtman said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@bestday said:

@pf70collector said:

But he is right. The downward spiral is just in its early stages!! The truth is our there before your very eyes!! This set will be a numismatic footnote by mid 2018. Sell em if you got em!!

1970-D Half
    1996-W dime

Buying raw sets if anyone is selling. Happy to mop up some of the panic.

• ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,996 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

No panic going on in the market, just a cool calculated exit strategy before the slow and steady decline. Never try to catch a falling knife. Peace out!!

MOST RECENT 3 set sales on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2017-S-US-Mint-225th-Anniversary-Enhanced-Uncirculated-10-Coin-Set-In-Hand/272918723628?epid=2154478261&hash=item3f8b393c2c:g:jdQAAOSwqklZg5Yt

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2017-S-225th-Anniversary-Enhanced-unc-Coin-Set/272911787324?hash=item3f8acf653c:g:QWYAAOSwWhRZhzN8

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2017-S-US-Mint-225th-Anniversary-Enhanced-Uncirculated-10-Coin-Set-OGP/272797221554?epid=2154478261&hash=item3f83fb42b2:g:~xoAAOSwp1RZg0zZ

The set price really hasn't moved...ever. The mistake of Manor and Best is assuming that the set MUST spike and subside rather than just stay steady and slightly increase over a couple of years. You might be surprised how many people still don't even know this set exists.

@Manorcourtman said:

@jmlanzaf said:

No panic going on in the market, just a cool calculated exit strategy before the slow and steady decline. Never try to catch a falling knife. Peace out!!

1996-W dime
    1970-D Half
    1995-W Eagle

• OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

As the saying goes: "You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" This hog is dead and praying for a miracle might revive it. Most of the sellers, involved in current ongoing straight auctions on eBay, will be fortunate to break even.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."

one person's cancelled or rejected order causes thousands of people to lose thousands of dollars from dealers on down. too bad we don't know who it is

@jmlanzaf said:

@bestday said:

@pf70collector said:

Yes the truth does have a zing .. doesn't it..LOL :*:*

I feel sorry for those people at the ana who bought 5,000 to 10,000 sets

even if these sets went up to 40 dollars per set after 2 years, would not justify having that much money out for that long of a time for such a small profit. I say a winner goes up 300 percent immediately after sellout. having money out like that means you more then likely miss out on other u.s. mint offerings due to a lack of funds

jesse_james_rare_coins is getting 66 looks per day and his average sales per day is less then 2 and that's with special offers

the average seller would not get that many looks unless you had a 30 dollar price tag on the set

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

No sell out
    No Backorder

Making more OGP?

6 weeks left to mint.

O! The popcorn!

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,361 ✭✭✭✭✭

Actually, I think it is both.
    I think some flippers bought a lot, and submitted a lot, thinking they would be red hot.
    I think the bills are coming due, prices are down, and some folks are trying to get out the best they can. That's the panic piece.
    Others are probably following an exit strategy as time goes on, as they don't like to hold inventory....they are pure dealers/flippers.

They may be dogs. They may be good in the long run. I don't know and it really doesn't matter to me. I do know that there are 3 coins in there that I want for other reasons and that those 3 coins haven't really tanked a ton, so I paid a little extra and got 7 coins more to boot :)

Also, for that texas seller with those Washington dc labels......man, those labels are UGLY. Seriously U.G.L.Y.

@Manorcourtman said:

@jmlanzaf said:

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

211,000 sets or 225,000 sets ,it will not change a thing

it's close to Christmas too, you will see more of these sets for sale as people try to free up money for Christmas

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

The slow drift downward is inevitable at this point, IMO.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

as of right now, the only way to unload 10 sets in one day would be to go 30 dollars with free shipping

• BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:
    No sell out
    No Backorder

Making more OGP?

6 weeks left to mint.

O! The popcorn!

edited November 17, 2017 1:36PM

@coinpalice said:
    even if these sets went up to 40 dollars per set after 2 years, would not justify having that much money out for that long of a time for such a small profit. I say a winner goes up 300 percent immediately after sellout. having money out like that means you more then likely miss out on other u.s. mint offerings due to a lack of funds

I got news for you $40 after 2 years is a 15% annual return on investment. That is better than the stock market, much better than cash, and a higher margin than most coin sales. Try and make 15% holding 90% or MS63 Morgan $s. You might be able to flip the $50 for $53 more than once over the 2 years, but 15% is nothing to sneeze at.

A 300% return is absurd and unlikely and rarely happens with any coin much less a new issue.

@grote15 said:

Even if you don't believe in a slow drift up (I do, over 2 years), there really isn't any reason to expect a slow drift down. The cent and half alone justify the $30 price tag. Demand for those two coins isn't going to change.

By the way, my initial hope was to buy at $30 and flip at $35-ish. That half-happened. I sold a number of sets at $40 to $50 before the whole return boondoggle happened. I would never have bought the set expecting form much more than that.

When the returns started, I could have sent mine back. I didn't. I made a professional judgment that they will be worth $40-45 in the next 2 years so I held on to about 250 sets. I broke up about 100 of those sets and sold the pieces for further profit.

My cost at this point is $25. I could dump them all right now and still be ahead of the game. But I've put my money where my mouth is.

Anyone betting on the reverse want to sell them short? Talk is cheap.

edited November 17, 2017 3:30PM

@jmlanzaf said:

@grote15 said:

Even if you don't believe in a slow drift up (I do, over 2 years), there really isn't any reason to expect a slow drift down. The cent and half alone justify the $30 price tag. Demand for those two coins isn't going to change.

You're assuming that...but that certainly isn't guaranteed. Plenty of coins and sets fall out of favor. No way to gauge demand or value at this point for something two or five years down the road. All you're doing is speculating.

Are you buying at $29-$30 a set?
    Because even on eBay, you can net that after fees. No profit to be made but not a real loss (yet), either.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

I consider this as the only u.s. mint winner for 2017
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/2017-S-Silver-Eagle-Congratulations-Proof-Set/332439231669?epid=851576685&hash=item4d66ec1cb5:g:VwAAAOSwcB5ZHOr6

I consider my time valuable, as far as breaking sets up takes time

• OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

@grote15 said:

A little bit later, @grote15 said:
    No way to gauge demand or value at this point for something two or five years down the road.

So the slow drift downward is not inevitable after all?

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

at some point the u.s. mint is going to go in the red if they continue with some of these unpopular sets they issue and unrealistic higher mintages

• GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are we still talking about these worthless sets?

My price to take your sets off your hands is $50.00 and I only accept payment in Paypal! Please send me a PM when you deposit your money into my PayPal account.

When you send in your sets please use signature delivery cause I want to make sure you really send in your sets and NOT take advantage of me.

@Gluggo said:
    Are we still talking about these worthless sets?

My price to take your sets off your hands is $50.00 and I only accept payment in Paypal! Please send me a PM when you deposit your money into my PayPal account.

When you send in your sets please use signature delivery cause I want to make sure you really send in your sets and NOT take advantage of me.

:p:p:p:p:p:p

@grote15 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@grote15 said:

You're assuming that...but that certainly isn't guaranteed. Plenty of coins and sets fall out of favor. No way to gauge demand or value at this point for something two or five years down the road. All you're doing is speculating.

Are you buying at $29-$30 a set?
    Because even on eBay, you can net that after fees. No profit to be made but not a real loss (yet), either.

I'm not assuming it. I'm looking at demand relative to supply. Look at the mintage numbers on those other sets.

You have to assume Kennedy and Lincoln collectors are NOT going to include the coins in their sets and that there are no set collectors

I will buy sets at $25, deliverable in 2 years. For those of you convinced they are going to $20, here's a chance to make $5 per set. Any takers?

edited November 17, 2017 5:22PM

@jmlanzaf said:
    I will buy sets at $25, deliverable in 2 years. For those of you convinced they are going to $20, here's a chance to make $5 per set. Any takers?

Why sell to you for $25 when you can net $30 on eBay? B)

edited November 17, 2017 5:27PM

@Overdate said:

@grote15 said:

A little bit later, @grote15 said:
    No way to gauge demand or value at this point for something two or five years down the road.

So the slow drift downward is not inevitable after all?

Inevitable as IMO. Obviously, no one knows what the future holds, but that is my speculation, which is why I added IMO at the end of the sentence instead of making an unqualified declaration.

@grote15 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

YOU don't understand the nature of a short. You can't buy then now for 20 to sell on eBay for 30. But you seem to think you can buy them next year for 20 on which case you can see it to me at 25 and make 5.

edited November 17, 2017 6:03PM

@jmlanzaf said:

@grote15 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

YOU don't understand the nature of a short. You can't buy then now for 20 to sell on eBay for 30. But you seem to think you can buy them next year for 20 on which case you can see it to me at 25 and make 5.

LOL, who said anything about buying them now? But if you have any sets on hand, purchased from the Mint at $30 each, or at any time for that matter, why would anyone sell to you NOW for $25 a set when you can net $30 a set right now on ebay?

@grote15 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@grote15 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

LOL, who said anything about buying them now? But if you have any sets on hand, purchased from the Mint at $30 each, or at any time for that matter, why would anyone sell to you NOW for $25 a set when you can net $30 a set right now on ebay?

Again, you aren't understanding the short. I'm not asking to buy sets you own. I'm asking to buy sets you purchase 2 years from now.

Look up how PUT options work

@jmlanzaf said:

@grote15 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@grote15 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Again, you aren't understanding the short. I'm not asking to buy sets you own. I'm asking to buy sets you purchase 2 years from now.

Look up how PUT options work

So you are going to expect someone to hold sets for two years to sell them to you for $25 when they can sell them now for $30 today? LOL..

Or wait two years and buy them for $20 and then sell them to you for $25? LOL..

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file