Home U.S. Coin Forum

225th Anniversary Enhanced Uncirculated Coin Set (17XC) (SOLD OUT! )

Comments

• dmwestdmwest Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭

@BackroadJunkie said:
    I feel ashamed,

not too ashamed....2501.

Don't quote me on that.

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,549 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jessewvu said:
    $100 floor? Doubt it. The LE sets of years past are doing better than that with no special silver eagle.

Not much. 2016 set is still available from the mint but at $110 greysheet. 2014 set is at $130 (greysheet). 2013 set is at $100. 2012 is at $190, but that's an anomaly as the regular silver 2012 set is also at $190 and even the regular non-silver proof set is at $100.

In the end, the ASE is about $100 in the 2017 set and likely to stay around there based on similar mintage ASE's in the past. I imagine the long-term price of the sets are at about $120, but I wouldn't be surprised to see $100 on them.

• HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭

If you can't flip, you can't acquit. (sorry, dumb joke)

@dmwest said:

@BackroadJunkie said:
    I feel ashamed,

not too ashamed....2501.

Get ready, I want to be #3000, so I'm going to post 497 "bumps"

bump

bump

bump

lmfao

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just got the Dime because it is required in the Registry sets. It is in a ANA SP70 FDI holder and I just noticed it does not have a cert number! How are you supposed to enter these into your inventory/sets???

• GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:
    I just got the Dime because it is required in the Registry sets. It is in a ANA SP70 FDI holder and I just noticed it does not have a cert number! How are you supposed to enter these into your inventory/sets???

Flip the slab over,,,,,, cert number is on the back.

GrandAm :)

@GRANDAM said:

@DIMEMAN said:

Flip the slab over,,,,,, cert number is on the back.

All that is on the back is 631121.70/8517.........and 8517 won't work.

You need 4 more digits after the 8517.

@GRANDAM said:
    You need 4 more digits after the 8517.

I'm going by the pic on ebay. Maybe the blocked out the last 4 digits?????

I think that is probably it.

@GRANDAM said:
    I think that is probably it.

I don't know why they would care if you see all 8 digits????

People register coins that aren't their's and then when the buyer gets the coin he gets upset he can't register it.

Sellers sometimes block the cert number to avoid headaches.

Yes, but who would do that on a cheap coin like this?

Well, I once bought a coin on eBay and registered it in my set.

I few months later I got a removal request from set registry. I knew I still had the coin but didn't realize that the coin I registered was from the photo on eBay,,,,,, much as you just tried to do.

What I didn't realize was that it was a stock photo and the seller sent me a different coin.

I didn't check cert numbers when I got my coin and just put it in the box with the rest of the set.

Needless to say I now wait to enter the correct cert when I get my coin. :o

• dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is the pcgs number valid for the set? For my nickel sets, I had to submit a request for each set to add my SP70 coins.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053

@dbldie55 said:
    Is the pcgs number valid for the set? For my nickel sets, I had to submit a request for each set to add my SP70 coins.

I will have to wait and see when I get it in hand. It shows in the set, but doesn't show the PCGS # needed...just 2017-S.

• ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 8, 2017 3:29PM

@BackroadJunkie said:
    I feel ashamed,

Don't...
    I want my 1000th post to this very thread...
    (989) :#

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 8, 2017 5:55PM

@dbldie55 said:

From my SP70 set:
    cent = 631117
    nickel = 631120
    dime = 631122
    effigy quarter = 631091
    ellis quarter = 631093
    ozark quarter = 631096
    douglas quarter = 631099
    clark quarter = 631105
    half = 631125
    dollar = 631128

I hope this is what you wanted know

Edited to add:
    These numbers are for the standard First Strike Flag label.

• dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭✭✭

For the enhanced dimes, I see the following possible pcgs numbers. At some point, all should be valid, but until they are they will need to be requested to be added to the sets

628137 Enhanced Unc Set
    631121 Enhanced Unc Set FDI Denver ANA
    631122 Enhanced Unc Set First Strike
    635663 Enhanced Unc Set FDI Denver 1 of 1000
    635931 Enhanced Unc Set FDI Washington DC 1 of 1,000
    635932 Enhanced Unc Set FDI Blue Ribbon
    637554 Enhanced Unc Set Cleveland Freedom FDI ANA
    637942 Enhanced Unc Set FDI
    638364 Enhanced Unc Set FDI Denver ANA Wreath
    638449 Enhanced Unc Set First Strike Denver ANA
    640658 Enhanced Unc Set Cleveland Art Deco FDI ANA
    641254 Enhanced Unc Set T.Cleveland Minuteman FDI
    641405 Enhanced Unc Set FDI Washington DC
    641934 Enhanced Unc Set FDI Philadelphia

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053

I just got an email from the Mint with a Holiday Guide. One thing I thought was interesting was they have a section for giving sets for the holidays and while the 2017 Limited Edition Silver Proof Set is listed(it's marked unavailable) the Enhanced Uncirculated Set is not listed......If they had 15k sets still wouldn't they include that set?

Here's the URL: https://catalog.usmint.gov/holiday-gift-guide/coin-gift-sets/

Don't quote me on that.

@dmwest said:
    I just got an email from the Mint with a Holiday Guide. One thing I thought was interesting was they have a section for giving sets for the holidays and while the 2017 Limited Edition Silver Proof Set is listed(it's marked unavailable) the Enhanced Uncirculated Set is not listed......If they had 15k sets still wouldn't they include that set?

Here's the URL: https://catalog.usmint.gov/holiday-gift-guide/coin-gift-sets/

Hard to say. Maybe they printed the paper version months ago and assumed they'd be gone. Maybe they are still considering minting replacement sets but don't know when they will fit into the schedule. Maybe they are secretly sold out and they just haven't told us.

A dealer friend of mine in Baltimore is going to ask the Coin World folks to ask the Mint for a comment on the status of these sets.

• BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,361 ✭✭✭✭✭

I did a quick (30 seconds or less) look on ebay yesterday.
    PCGS MS70 FS sets were going from $179 BIN to some sellers trying to be overly optimistic with $300+ OBO sales.
    Didn't really look hard to see what they were actually selling for with bids, etc.

If they hit down to $100, I may buy a set already graded :)

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

@Bochiman said:
    I did a quick (30 seconds or less) look on ebay yesterday.
    PCGS MS70 FS sets were going from $179 BIN to some sellers trying to be overly optimistic with $300+ OBO sales.
    Didn't really look hard to see what they were actually selling for with bids, etc.

If they hit down to $100, I may buy a set already graded :)

PCGS sets have not been trending downwards. They generally sell for $150 to $250 depending on the label. Not sure why anyone would pay more for a different label, but that is the market these days. To me, SP70 is SP70

• BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭

1065 sets sold from the four links you provided

@BigA said:

That’s half of the 1% of the 210k that were sold.

Don't quote me on that.

@dmwest said:

@BigA said:

LOL. There are others. Would you like all of the dozens of links?

There's also only how many thousand being sold per week currently? The 1000+ sets may be 10% or 100% of sets currently being sold.

@jmlanzaf said:

@dmwest said:

@BigA said:

There's also only how many thousand being sold per week currently? The 1000+ sets may be 10% or 100% of sets currently being sold.

I'd rather just guess and say less than 10%.

Don't quote me on that.

• BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@dmwest said:

@BigA said:

SO wouldn't that be a good thing that so many are being dumped by dealers now....almost all of those sales in the four links posted were for 1-3 sets which probably will stay where they are going as collector sets and not be flipped again...removed from availability. I think it rather dumb to sell a set now at a negligible gain or even a loss unless you REALLY need to just get your money back

Just sayin'

@BigA said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@dmwest said:

@BigA said:

SO wouldn't that be a good thing that so many are being dumped by dealers now....almost all of those sales in the four links posted were for 1-3 sets which probably will stay where they are going as collector sets and not be flipped again...removed from availability. I think it rather dumb to sell a set now at a negligible gain or even a loss unless you REALLY need to just get your money back

Just sayin'

More than half of those sets are probably being sold at a profit. If the bulk buyers (and 2 of those links are big guys) got their standard discount, $38 with free shipping is about a net $31 against a cost of about $28.

We also can't know if they bough those directly from the mint or from small fry trying to dump them. Most dealers were buying at $25 or less during the bad old days.

I don't consider that dumping, necessarily. It's just sales. What I'm trying to gauge is how MANY sales are still going on. If those missing 14,000 sets don't disappear, sometime before Christmas the price might start moving on these sets. I mean, it already has to the extent that before it went unavailable, people were dumping them at $30-33 and now the prices are more $34 to $38. But I'd like to see $45 in the next two years so I can make fun of Best Day for the next 20 years. :wink:

@dmwest said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@dmwest said:

@BigA said:

I'd rather just guess and say less than 10%.

LOL. So, your always rosy estimate is that they are still selling 10,000 per week? That would be great! $50 by Christmas. :smiley:

• coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,453 ✭✭✭✭✭

jesse_james_rare_coins is the only big seller who raised the price to 37.75 about a week ago and has only sold 2 sets since then and it was a special offer, so he never got asking price for the 2 sets he sold since hiking his price

• thevolcanogodthevolcanogod Posts: 270 ✭✭✭

The smart money is in the breakup value of this set. As more get mulched up that will also drive the price of intact sets higher. The fact that many dealers didn’t get into this set in a big way is also good for it - means it will take less time for inventory to run low. Also many sets likely went into collections where they may not come out again for a long time instead of dealer stock.

there are only about 2 things on the u.s mint schedule for 2018 that will appreciate enough that you will make money on after seller fees

there are many dealers who got into this set in a big way, many of them haven't sold a single set yet, they are playing the waiting game, waiting for the sets to dry up on secondary market

@thevolcanogod said:
    The smart money is in the breakup value of this set. As more get mulched up that will also drive the price of intact sets higher. The fact that many dealers didn’t get into this set in a big way is also good for it - means it will take less time for inventory to run low. Also many sets likely went into collections where they may not come out again for a long time instead of dealer stock.

Yes, I agree on almost all counts.

@coinpalice said:
    there are many dealers who got into this set in a big way, many of them haven't sold a single set yet, they are playing the waiting game, waiting for the sets to dry up on secondary market

Actually, I don't know very many that fit that characterization. On what are you basing that?

there are at least 2 people on this blog that are holding over 1,000 sets alone

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,671 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 9, 2017 2:44PM

@jmlanzaf said:

@coinpalice said:

Actually, I don't know very many that fit that characterization. On what are you basing that?

How would you know how many sets dealers bought if they aren't selling them yet?

Those that are are breaking even to recoup costs or making the equivalent of a cup of coffee and a buttered roll with each sale.

If you have these sets in quantity, it doesn't make sense to sell now...unless you believe the value will decline in the future.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

@grote15 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@coinpalice said:

How would you know how many sets dealers bought if they aren't selling them yet?

Those that are are breaking even to recoup costs or making the equivalent of a cup of coffee and a buttered roll with each sale.

If you have these sets in quantity, it doesn't make sense to sell now...unless you believe the value will decline in the future.

Because I'm a dealer and I talk to other dealers. I know some have a lot of sets, but not as many as coinpalice is suggesting. I think the idea that these are all in giant hordes is overstated. The mint sold about 40,000 sets in the last couple months mostly in ones and twos. Thousands more sets have been sold on eBay in ones and twos in the last couple of months. There were only 210,000 total sets issued. I don't think there are as many giant hordes as you think.

Sorry nothing to add...
    (993)

@ECHOES said:
    Sorry nothing to add...
    (993)

Oh, c'mon, think of something to add and you'll be at 994!

Love this set,regardless of aftermarket prices.
    (995)

Hope the final mintage stands at 210,000.
    (996)

@ECHOES said:
    Hope the final mintage stands at 210,000.
    (996)

It's already close to 211,000

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinpalice said:
    there are at least 2 people on this blog that are holding over 1,000 sets alone

I'm guessing more people and more sets.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file