Home U.S. Coin Forum

225th Anniversary Enhanced Uncirculated Coin Set (17XC) (SOLD OUT! )

Comments

• OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 12, 2017 1:26PM

@jmlanzaf said:

@OPA said:

@jmlanzaf said:
    At some point, the market is going to scoff at First Strike labels.

When they mint 200,000 of the things and stockpile them and then ship them all in a week, First Strike means nothing. You could very well receive the first package the mint ships and have it be the LAST strike since they put the later coins on top of the original coins in the warehouse.

Most people don't give a hoot about the f.s. designation, but they do like the label (American Flag) that's associated with with it. F.S. may be meaningless, except when it's time to sell and has been so for "ages." I've heard the same argument about the "misleading" f/s label for years, but it still generates a premium over non f/s designations.

I can sell you some flag stickers for $1 each, shipping included. You can slap the label on your cheaper slab and save a fortune.

Now that doesn't make a bid of sense. The flag label is on the inside of the slab. Of course you knew that, claiming to be a dealer. B)

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,549 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 12, 2017 1:56PM

@OPA said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@OPA said:

@jmlanzaf said:

When they mint 200,000 of the things and stockpile them and then ship them all in a week, First Strike means nothing. You could very well receive the first package the mint ships and have it be the LAST strike since they put the later coins on top of the original coins in the warehouse.

Most people don't give a hoot about the f.s. designation, but they do like the label (American Flag) that's associated with with it. F.S. may be meaningless, except when it's time to sell and has been so for "ages." I've heard the same argument about the "misleading" f/s label for years, but it still generates a premium over non f/s designations.

I can sell you some flag stickers for $1 each, shipping included. You can slap the label on your cheaper slab and save a fortune.

Now that doesn't make a bid of sense. The flag label is on the inside of the slab. Of course you knew that, claiming to be a dealer. B)

I do know that. And, I'm equally convinced that anyone who pays more for a COIN because it has a flag label (inside or outside) is wasting their money. The saying used to be, "buy the coin not the holder". It now appears to be "buy the label not the coin."

And if you just like the flag label, why does it matter where the flag is located? The flag has nothing to do with the coin.

Do you stand for your slab?

edited November 12, 2017 1:55PM

@OPA said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@OPA said:

@jmlanzaf said:

I'm not "claiming" anything, just stating a fact.

I'm also the grammar police. It's a "bit of sense" unless it's an auction, then it's a "bid of cents". :wink:

• OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OPA said:
    Most people don't give a hoot about the f.s. designation, but they do like the label (American Flag) that's associated with with it.

I'm one of those that likes the American Flag label. At the 70 grade it usually costs extra in the secondary market, at 69 and below it usually does not. So I generally collect flags and avoid 70's.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

@Overdate said:

@OPA said:
    Most people don't give a hoot about the f.s. designation, but they do like the label (American Flag) that's associated with with it.

I'm one of those that likes the American Flag label. At the 70 grade it usually costs extra in the secondary market, at 69 and below it usually does not. So I generally collect flags and avoid 70's.

I'll let the completed PCGS 70 F/S flag label auction prices compared to non flag labels speak for themselves.

@OPA said:

@Overdate said:

@OPA said:

I'll let the completed PCGS 70 F/S flag label auction prices compared to non flag labels speak for themselves.

That actually makes sense.

• coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,453 ✭✭✭✭✭

the pcgs labels look naked without the flag

@OPA said:

@Overdate said:

@OPA said:

My point is that by not chasing after 70's, I'm able to obtain the flag labels without paying extra for them.

@OPA said:

@Overdate said:

@OPA said:

No one's arguing about NOW. But you know what, in 1965..and 1975...and 1985 U.S. Proof and Mint sets were popular, too.

At some point, the label insanity will wear thin. FOURTEEN different EU labels! FOURTEEN!

@Overdate said:

@OPA said:

@Overdate said:

@OPA said:

My point is that by not chasing after 70's, I'm able to obtain the flag labels without paying extra for them.

That's fine if you plan on not selling them your life time. Most MS69 modern coins do not sell for much over issue price and for the most part, price wise, are in the same category as raw coins.

@OPA said:

@Overdate said:

@OPA said:

@Overdate said:

@OPA said:

That's fine if you plan on not selling them your life time. Most MS69 modern coins do not sell for much over issue price and for the most part, price wise, are in the same category as raw coins.

and most people can't tell the difference between a 69 and a 70.

@jmlanzaf said:

@OPA said:

@Overdate said:

@OPA said:

@Overdate said:

@OPA said:

That's why we have graded coins.

@OPA said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@OPA said:

@Overdate said:

@OPA said:

@Overdate said:

@OPA said:

That's why we have graded coins.

I don't disagree. But if Overdate is just buying them for himself, a cheaper 69 that he likes to look at is better than a more expensive 70 that looks exactly the same.

edited November 13, 2017 12:29AM

@OPA said:

I agree, but if I do decide to sell some of them I don't expect my sell price to be much lower than my buy price. Like raw coins, the value of a 69 lies mostly in the coin itself, not the label. So I can enjoy both the coin and the (flag) label for around the price of the coin by itself.

And there's no guarantee that 70's are all going to appreciate either. Quite a few of them have come down in price over the years.

Again, none appeared at 7:30 this morning.

@Overdate said:

@OPA said:

I agree, but if I do decide to sell some of them I don't expect my sell price to be much lower than my buy price. Like raw coins, the value of a 69 lies mostly in the coin itself, not the label. So I can enjoy both the coin and the (flag) label for around the price of the coin by itself.

And there's no guarantee that 70's are all going to appreciate either. Quite a few of them have come down in price over the years.

I think a lot of revolves around the brilliant registry set egotism - someone deserves a big bonus for thinking that one up. Everyone was trying to "win" and when 70s were rare, that created demand. With grade inflation and 70s being commonplace for modern issues, I would expect the premium to shrink on most of those issues.

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sales for the week?

I'm guessing negative.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

@MsMorrisine said:
    Sales for the week?

I'm guessing negative.

I'm guessing near zero either way. They sold a tiny few on some mornings. I don't know how many returns they may or may not have gotten. But those returns have not been popping up in the mornings as they should. They've sold so few over the last couple weeks, it's anyone's guess.

• BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 14, 2017 11:58AM

Over a hundred sets went on sale this week, and the number is still negative. Of course. It all makes sense now. (No it doesn't.)

225th Anniversary Enhanced Uncirculated Coin Set (17XC)
    DateNumber soldNet IncreaseComment
    11 weeks deleted
    10/29/2017210,4855,700
    11/5/2017210,789304
    11/12/2017210,710-79

(edit bcus I kant spel.)

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

in the context of a LEPS selling out with 920 under max, it all makes complete sense!

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • dmwestdmwest Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭

@BackroadJunkie said:
    Over a hundred sets went on sale this week, and the number is still negative. Of course. It all makes sense now. (No it doesn't.)

Returns outnumbered sales....this thing just needs to sell out already.

Don't quote me on that.

@BackroadJunkie said:

225th Anniversary Enhanced Uncirculated Coin Set (17XC)
    DateNumber soldNet IncreaseComment
    11 weeks deleted
    10/29/2017210,4855,700
    11/5/2017210,789304
    11/12/2017210,710-79

(edit bcus I kant spel.)

No, it kind of makes sense. That's probably the last round of returns from the last big week of sales.

It's still acting like a sell-out in the making, but the Mint could drag this out for weeks.

I'm not sure why they called the LE set so soon, after a big negative week no less.

Heavens forbid, but is it possible, that the Mint has been telling the truth and does not resell most returns? After all, they've been publicly saying that for years. ;)

@OPA said:
    Heavens forbid, but is it possible, that the Mint has been telling the truth and does not resell most returns? After all, they've been publicly saying that for years. ;)

Definitely seems that way with the LE sets. They called them sold out but have had negative sales the last 2 weeks. They must just melt them.

If they do have a pile of returned 14,000 EU sets laying around, maybe they should restrike them on the original planchets and create a rare double struck set. I bet they could get $100+ for each of the 14,000 sets that way. [Of course, they'd have to open all the sets, remove all the coins, strike all the coins and repackage all the coins... Maybe a 2018/2017 EU set? :smiley: ]

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,671 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 14, 2017 9:33PM

Sales on ebay appear to be drifting downward a bit to the $32-$35 range with free shipping.

I thought there might be a slight bump in prices after the sets went unavailable, but that has not been the case. I suspect that is due to the length of time they were on sale and the glut of sets for sale on ebay.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

@grote15 said:
    Sales on ebay appear to be drifting downward a bit to the $32-$35 range with free shipping.

I thought there might be a slight bump in prices after the sets went unavailable, but that has not been the case. I suspect that is due to the length of time they were on sale and the glut of sets for sale on ebay.

The Mint was selling 1000 sets per day before they went unavailable. There is no "glut" on eBay relative to that.

Given that the Mint was selling them at $29.95 with free shipping, the $35 price range on eBay is actually higher. I would not anticipate an immediate jump in price from being unavailable as people are still expecting them to become available.

• ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,996 ✭✭✭✭✭

@grote15 said:

They will continue to “drift” south. Next stop, $20 by mid 2018.

@Manorcourtman said:

@grote15 said:

$40 by mid 2018 as they continue to drift up.

These sets have not even started to drift anywhere. They were selling on eBay for $32 to $35 all along and they were selling on the Mint site for $30. The price really hasn't moved at all.

• KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said I could sell you cheap flag labels for $1.00 each. I will take you up on that offer and buy many of them. Anyone else need cheap flag labels at 1.00 each? How many do you have at that price?

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

edited November 15, 2017 5:38AM

@Kkathyl said:
    @jmlanzaf said I could sell you cheap flag labels for $1.00 each. I will take you up on that offer and buy many of them. Anyone else need cheap flag labels at 1.00 each? How many do you have at that price?

Millions. Billions if you want them. You do know I'm talking literally about little sticky labels with flags on them.

So not real flag label for graded slabs like we get from grading. I thought you meant those because they do cost more then a dollar. Shucks.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

@Kkathyl said:
    So not real flag label for graded slabs like we get from grading. I thought you meant those because they do cost more then a dollar. Shucks.

I'm sure you can make them look just like the originals for far less than a buck. My point - if you read the entire thread - is that no one should be paying extra for a flag label just because it's a flag label. You should be buying the coin. IMHO, of course.

• dagingerbeastttdagingerbeasttt Posts: 791 ✭✭✭✭

I need it . Didn't make it to the limited edition proof set. They were sold out. So I'm getting this one..

• ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,996 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@Manorcourtman said:

@grote15 said:

These sets have not even started to drift anywhere. They were selling on eBay for $32 to $35 all along and they were selling on the Mint site for $30. The price really hasn't moved at all.

Of course! What took you so long to respond!! You are slacking!! :)

I think the reason people buy flag labels is to coordinate the sets over the years. A complete set in one type label looks better and sells for more then a mixed bag. To each his own. I agree about buying the coin for the coin, but on the newer releases the grades will be 69 or 70 so you don't go wrong and so if you want matching labels to earlier sets, I would pay more for the look. To each his own.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

@Manorcourtman said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Manorcourtman said:

@grote15 said:

Of course! What took you so long to respond!! You are slacking!! :)

Ha-Ha. I can't leave any wild speculation uncountered by my own speculation.

For what it's worth, my sales have picked up since they went "unavailable". The price hasn't moved yet, but that's partly because of some of the big boys continue to dump these sets in the $33 range. [Of course, they only pay $28.50, so they can squeeze me a bit.]

@Kkathyl said:
    I think the reason people buy flag labels is to coordinate the sets over the years. A complete set in one type label looks better and sells for more then a mixed bag. To each his own. I agree about buying the coin for the coin, but on the newer releases the grades will be 69 or 70 so you don't go wrong and so if you want matching labels to earlier sets, I would pay more for the look. To each his own.

I agree - to each his own.

But you're in a lot of trouble next time PCGS or NGC change their label design. You're going to have to resubmit everything to be reslabbed with the new, matching label.

• @Manorcourtman said:

@grote15 said:

>

If that happens I will begin to ingest more of them.

I'm not holding my breath waiting for a $20 bottom. Not gonna happen with a mintage of around 210k.

@OPA said:
    I'm not holding my breath waiting for a $20 bottom. Not gonna happen with a mintage of around 210k.

We'd first have to see the Lincoln cents drop below that. Even the 69s sell for $18-$20.

If anyone wants to dump their sets at $20, I'll buy all you've got.

• BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,361 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ok....I have a confession to make....

I still have my 4 raw sets, put away, but did want the Lincoln, the Roosevelt, and the kennedy in PCGS SP70.
    I was tempted to buy raw, but held off.

I just tossed in a "dummy" bid on a 10pc set in PCGS SP70 First Strike (w/ Flag label, obviously) just yesterday, and won it today, for $133.50.

I was going to wait to see if they hit ~$100 (ie... $10/coin) but with the 8% ebay bucks, I got $10.69 back in those, so, I kinda just paid under $123 for the 10pc set. I can be ok with $12.30/coin I guess...

Now to see if they continue to drop, since I just bought mine...which is usually what happens to me...

PS...there is NO WAY that I, as a small/collector submitter, could have gotten a set in PCGS SP70 FS for even close to that price of $133. NOT EVEN CLOSE. So, as Howie used to say on "Deal or No Deal"....."I made a good deal" :smiley:

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,465 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 16, 2017 12:38AM

@jmlanzaf said:

@Kkathyl said:

Millions. Billions if you want them. You do know I'm talking literally about little sticky labels with flags on them.

I buy Flag Labels because I am an AMERICAN and support our Flag & Country.

Besides I think they look cool B)B)B)B)B)

GrandAm :)

@Bochiman said:

I still have my 4 raw sets, put away, but did want the Lincoln, the Roosevelt, and the kennedy in PCGS SP70.

I just tossed in a "dummy" bid on a 10pc set in PCGS SP70 First Strike (w/ Flag label, obviously) just yesterday, and won it today, for $133.50.

I was going to wait to see if they hit ~$100 (ie... $10/coin) but with the 8% ebay bucks, I got $10.69 back in those, so, I kinda just paid under $123 for the 10pc set. I can be ok with $12.30/coin I guess...

Now to see if they continue to drop, since I just bought mine...which is usually what happens to me...

PS...there is NO WAY that I, as a small/collector submitter, could have gotten a set in PCGS SP70 FS for even close to that price of $133. NOT EVEN CLOSE. So, as Howie used to say on "Deal or No Deal"....."I made a good deal" :smiley:

That's about as cheap as I've seen a PCGS set sell. Usually they are $149 and above. So, it's a pretty good deal. Congratulations.

Especially for moderns, there is just no way to compete with the bulk submitter's on price. Not to mention that you know the grades, not taking a stab in the dark with your own submission.

• BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭

Yup...good price

• bestdaybestday Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭✭

@grote15 said:

Sell out is meaningless ... nothing new added to news . m> @Bochiman said:

Dummy bid ..LOL nice grab ;);)

8 % ebay bonus bucks offers expires tonight B):o

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,671 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 16, 2017 3:32PM

@bestday said:

@grote15 said:

I don't disagree as the sets were on sale for such an extended period of time as to make even a sellout rather meaningless.

If mintage is finalized at 210,000, will be interesting to see if prices slide further or bump up in the future.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

@grote15 said:

@bestday said:

@grote15 said:

I don't disagree as the sets were on sale for such an extended period of time as to make even a sellout rather meaningless.

If mintage is finalized at 210,000, will be interesting to see if prices slide further or bump up in the future.

After 15 weeks in circulation, sets not making money .. just small change .... sellout indeed meaningless

@bestday said:

@grote15 said:

@bestday said:

@grote15 said:

I was going to wait to see if they hit ~$100 (ie... $10/coin) but with the 8% ebay bucks, I got $10.69 back in those, so, I kin

After 15 weeks in circulation, sets not making money .. just small change .... sellout indeed meaningless

Yes and no. There won't be immediate action, but there needs to be a sellout for the secondary market to start to develop. Until then, the price remains the $29.95 set by the mint.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file