Home U.S. Coin Forum

225th Anniversary Enhanced Uncirculated Coin Set (17XC) (SOLD OUT! )

Comments

• jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭

You guys are getting off topic

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,672 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jessewvu said:

Agreed.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,552 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 19, 2017 1:14PM

@grote15 said:
    Or wait two years and buy them for $20 and then sell them to you for $25? LOL..

This. That is how a PUT works. It is a bet on the future price. For example, I can buy a PUT on Apple stock today for next year at a sell price of $100 (for example). Apple stock is currently at $170. It would be stupid to sell the stock now for $100. But if I think the stock will be selling for less than $100 in a year, I lock in the sale price at $100. A year from now, I have the option to sell the stock for $100. If it is selling for $90, I make $10. If it is selling for $170, I lose the cost of option. But right now I DON'T OWN ANY APPLE STOCK.

So, if you really think these sets are in free fall, I'm offering you the chance to make money on the drop. You sell me 1000 sets at $25 for delivery 2 years from now. If sets are selling for $40, you're going to lose $15 per set if you have to buy them on the open market. If sets are selling for $20, like you think, you're going to make $5 per set.

@jessewvu said:

Not really. Everyone blowing hot air on here about the future price of these sets don't have any skin in the game. I'm giving them a chance to put their money where their mouth is by creating a PUT option on the coin sets. Let's see who actually has conviction.

Where did I ever say I thought the sets would be selling for $20 in two years?

Frankly speaking, these sets just aren't that exciting in any case to speculate about what amounts to essentially a $5 or $15 spread two years from now. You've done a herculean job keeping this thread as prominent as it is. If it weren't for your efforts, it would have likely sunk to page 5 long ago.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 17, 2017 6:47PM

@coinpalice said:
    some sets are selling for under 100
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/2017-S-10-Coin-Set-Denver-ANA-Enhanced-Unc-PCGS-SP70-Washington-DC-1-of-1000-FD/192352601813?hash=item2cc91bc6d5:g:gNcAAOSwPpZZ9nqS
    maybe the low prices on graded sets is slowing the prices on the raw sets down

Ouch,

Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,

@grote15 said:
    Where did I ever say I thought the sets would be selling for $20 in two years?

Frankly speaking, these sets just aren't that exciting in any case to speculate about what amounts to essentially a $5 or $15 spread two years from now. You've done a herculean job keeping this thread as prominent as it is. If it weren't for your efforts, it would have likely sunk to page 5 long ago.

I didn't speak directly to you. You inserted yourself into my Put option offer. At least two other people floated $20 prices in the last couple days. I was really directing this to them.

You've done a herculean job keeping this thread as prominent as it is. If it weren't for your efforts, it would have likely sunk to page 5 long ago.

You're welcome! :smiley:

• privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very entertaining.

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 17, 2017 7:44PM

@privatecoin said:
    Very entertaining.

The drama is just starting!!! Expect fireworks followed by a disappearing act. Us old-timers have seen this play out many times before!!!

@Manorcourtman said:

@privatecoin said:
    Very entertaining.

The drama is just starting!!! Expect fireworks followed by a disappearing act. Us old-timers have seen this play out many time before!!!

Fireworks? You don't seem that tempermental. I don't think you need to disappear, but if you go I'll understand.

@Manorcourtman said:

@privatecoin said:
    Very entertaining.

The drama is just starting!!! Expect fireworks followed by a disappearing act. Us old-timers have seen this play out many time before!!!

Before you disappear, are you interested in my PUT?

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

A free option?

Sold!

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
    edited November 17, 2017 8:07PM

@MsMorrisine said:
    A free option?

Sold!

Automatic exercise in 2 years.

It's one side only. Sub 25 and free.

No risk on my side.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

@MsMorrisine said:
    It's one side only. Sub 25 and free.

No risk on my side.

Not exactly true. If you have the sets, you are selling them at $25 when they could be worth $50 in 2 years in which case you are losing $5 per set and not getting the other $20. If you don't have the sets and have to acquire them in 2 years and pay more than $25 to get them, you lose money also.

Options are a choice, not a directive.

You are thinking of a futures contract where there is delivery no matter the value.

@MsMorrisine said:
    Options are a choice, not a directive.

You are thinking of a futures contract where there is delivery no matter the value.

I know exactly what it is. I was trying to give grote15 something to look up. Technically, I'm the one holding the option - more of a call sold than a put bought - but the point is to give you a way to benefit from your belief that the coin is going down in value.

• BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭

I can't believe there is so much blah-blah about a $30 set. Who gives a rats azz if it goes to $25 or $35...both events are minimal (and I bought quite a few) ....facts are that it won't be a winner. I can accept that and move on...

@BigA said:
    I can't believe there is so much blah-blah about a $30 set. Who gives a rats azz if it goes to $25 or $35...both events are minimal (and I bought quite a few) ....facts are that it won't be a winner. I can accept that and move on...

Lol. Apparently a lot of people care. Including you or you wouldn't keep reading the thread. :smile:

@BigA said:

And don't forget, hole fillers are obsessive by nature.

• BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭

Like the old local football parlay cards said: "For entertainment purposes only" :)

• coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,453 ✭✭✭✭✭

at least nobody lost their shirt by investing in this set, they will not decline in value by 100 percent like most other u.s. mint products do

• bestdaybestday Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭✭

@jessewvu said:

Nearly 74,000 views

@BigA said:

Rookies... some who most likely sunk some big money to them .. in the 225th sets

@bestday said:

@BigA said:

Rookies... some who most likely sunk some big money to them .. in the 225th sets

Are there actually rookies here or just your way of putting down people?

Almost everyone on this thread seems to be an old timer.

@bestday said:

@jessewvu said:

Nearly 74,000 views

That is a false counter. I can click refresh and it will increase every time.

@jmlanzaf said:

@bestday said:

@BigA said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@bestday said:

@BigA said:

At what age are you considered an old timer?

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

@privatecoin said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@bestday said:

@BigA said:

@bestday said:

@BigA said:

At what age are you considered an old timer?

Ask my students and they'd say "30". :smile:

I think it's more years in the hobby than actual age.

• MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭✭✭

Born in the 50s, and we said 30 as old, too.
    Don’t you remember the movie ‘wild in the streets?’
    Old folks, Post 30, as a kid, we viewed everyone the same, wrong.
    Anybody in this thread, replying, that is under 30?

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
    edited November 18, 2017 8:09PM

I just learned yesterday that the nun I had in 8th grade passed away at age 77. Back in the early 80s when I was in grammar school, I thought she was already about 70 as she had prematurely gray hair. Couldn't believe she was younger then than I am today, lol..

Guess I'm old but not too old at 39.

• KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was happy to win one and to get an error coin out of it.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

@Kkathyl said:

???? What error???

• OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭✭✭

Win one? What contest? You won an EU Set with an error?

• OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MilesWaits said:
    Anybody in this thread, replying, that is under 30?

Me, but only because 70 is the new 20.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 19, 2017 11:02AM

@jmlanzaf said:
    For example, I can buy a PUT on Apple stock today for next year at a sell price of $100 (for example). . . A year from now, I have to sell the stock for $100.

I don't think so. My understanding is that buying a put gives you a right, but not an obligation, to sell the stock for $100. Let me know if I'm wrong.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 19, 2017 11:17AM

"If a call is the right to buy, then perhaps unsurprisingly, a put is the option to sell the underlying stock at a predetermined strike price until a fixed expiry date. The put buyer has the right to sell shares at the strike price, and if he/she decides to sell, the put writer is obliged to buy at that price."

Synopsis from Options: The Basics -- The Motley Fool
    https://fool.com/investing/options/options-the-basics.aspx

@Overdate said:

@jmlanzaf said:
    For example, I can buy a PUT on Apple stock today for next year at a sell price of $100 (for example). . . A year from now, I have to sell the stock for $100.

I don't think so. My understanding is that buying a put gives you a right, but not an obligation, to sell the stock for $100. Let me know if I'm wrong.

You are correct. But you pay for the right to hold the option. I'm giving away a free put, so execution was mandatory to make it a fair wager.

@Kkathyl said:

Oh Kathy, you should have let me know you found and error in the set you won from me. Anything interesting?

• RINATIONALSRINATIONALS Posts: 171 ✭✭✭

Since we're now down to betting the future of this set as a side bet I'm putting the opening over/under line on jmlanzafs posts to this thread at 300 - and touting my 10 star lock of the week on the over! :):) Hopefully the mint finally says sold out this week and they zoom to $45 so I can buy myself a pretty sparkling proof Buffalo nickel with the profits!!!!

buying Rhode Island Nationals please email, PM or call 401-295-3000

@RINATIONALS said:
    Since we're now down to betting the future of this set as a side bet I'm putting the opening over/under line on jmlanzafs posts to this thread at 300 - and touting my 10 star lock of the week on the over! :):) Hopefully the mint finally says sold out this week and they zoom to $45 so I can buy myself a pretty sparkling proof Buffalo nickel with the profits!!!!

Oh, I think we all know that I'm already over 300 posts.. lol

@Overdate said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Another rookie ..investor ..only if you Sell a put naked are you on the hook ,for delivering stock at the set price

If you buy a stock/index put .. you profit if stock/index goes down ..or ,if not , it expires worthless .... no other obligation
    :*:*:*

edited November 19, 2017 1:15PM

@bestday said:

@Overdate said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Another rookie ..investor ..only if you Sell a put naked are you on the hook ,for delivering stock at the set price

If you buy a stock/index put .. you profit if stock/index goes down ..or ,if not , it expires worthless .... no other obligation

Listen, ROOKIE, I trade hundreds of options per year. Get over yourself, ROOKIE. I've already explained my slight misstatement several times in this thread.

If you buy a Put, you have the option. IF you sell a Put, you are at the mercy of the other party. Yes, it is an "option" and sometimes they expire worthless in which case you LOSE the cost of the option.

The point with the EU option, ROOKIE, is that it had to be a mandatory execution or it would be foolish of me to give it to you for free. IT would be like giving you an option on free money with no risk to you. To truly operate like an option, you'd have to be willing to BUY the $25 option. I'll sell you one, ROOKIE, if you want to buy one. But we've already established that you are all hot air. You TALK this set down, but you aren't willing to put your ROOKIE money where your ROOKIE mouth is. You had your chance to short this set at $25, ROOKIE, and you didn't take it. So we know all about you, ROOKIE.

edited November 19, 2017 1:21PM

@bestday said:

@Overdate said:

@jmlanzaf said:

So, what's it going to be, ROOKIE? Are you going to take me up on the PUT or not?

@Manorcourtman said:
    This thread is going south faster then the set!!

Probably. But like a car crash, people simply can't stop looking.

• ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

'Put' a sock in it.
    Way off topic...

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Who shot George

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kkathyl said:
    Who shot George

Is that actually a hole, or a foreign substance?

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file