Home U.S. Coin Forum

225th Anniversary Enhanced Uncirculated Coin Set (17XC) (SOLD OUT! )

Comments

• KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

It was all a dream JR, you never bought any EU sets.

• TurboSnailTurboSnail Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dmwest said:

@jmlanzaf said:
    1 LEFT!!!!!!!!!

I bought the last one to ever be sold by the Mint. :) I'm 99.9999999999% sure. :wink:

Congrat! you have earned a badge as EUCS Terminator! We thanks you for saving our numismatics world !

• dmwestdmwest Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭

@TurboSnail said:

@dmwest said:

@jmlanzaf said:
    1 LEFT!!!!!!!!!

I bought the last one to ever be sold by the Mint. :) I'm 99.9999999999% sure. :wink:

Congrat! you have earned a badge as EUCS Terminator! We thanks you for saving our numismatics world !

It was purely my pleasure. Up next - the American Liberty 225th Anniversary Silver Four-Medal Set... I'll be back.

Don't quote me on that.

• BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dmwest said:
    @BackroadJunkie - time to update the title again......for the last time!!! :)

Yeah, yeah. I've heard this as half-dozen times before... :wink:

@Kudbegud said:
    It was all a dream JR, you never bought any EU sets.

Yeah, today is really July 31st, and the sets go on sale tomorrow... :)

• OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well I'm happy to see, that at least this round was not MsMorrisine "unaccounted" missing 17k. B)

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

The set is in a "superposition" of available/unavailable.
    Anyone who fully understands quantum theory knows exactly what's going on with the availability of this set.
    Unfortunately, no one fully understands quantum theory.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Overdate said:

Anyone who fully understands quantum theory knows exactly what's going on with the availability of this set.

Sadly, I do understand it. I am (shhh, don't pass this on) a Nuclear Physicist.

Note: I am not employed by North Korea. I did, however, have 7 nuclear warheads under my control. Not "take out a city" type ICBM's, but the little one, toss one at the advancing Soviet Army in Germany and roast hot dogs with the blast because you are right there with it.

• BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Overdate said:

As I told Schrodinger, what happens in the cat box STAYS in the cat box.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mustangmanbob said:

I am (shhh, don't pass this on) a Nuclear Physicist.

Sorry, but I just can't pass up the chance to say it (you did tee it up so nicely)

Yeah, but you ain't no Rocket Scientist!

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭

Still unavailable. Is this a record?

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,549 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BigA said:
    Still unavailable. Is this a record?

Lol. Not yet, but its a good sign. If only we knew where the extra 15k were.

Sales numbers today!

• pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭

Is there anyone who is collecting these and not flipping them? ;)

Paul

Flipping? Not worth the effort. Hoarding and hoping is more like it...

@pmac said:

Actually, if you watched the countdowns on this board the last TWO :smile: times it went unavailable, you'd notice that most of the sales are 1 or 2 sets of late. So, MOST of the people currently buying are collecting them or gifting them. I'd imagine most all flippers are out at this point after they panicked in August and sent them all back. Of course some people call dealers/retailers "flippers" but I think that is silly.

• bestdaybestday Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@bestday said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Overdate said:

@Manorcourtman said:
    A couple of thousand on eBay is enough supply to depress the market for years.

At the Mint's recent sales rate, a couple of thousand on eBay is enough supply to depress the market for less than a week.

+1> @segoja said:

So who is buying these wholesale at $28.

Like to see some data on this. (who is posting bids, who is posting live sells and where are they posting them)

I run on the biggest wholesale trading network and there is ABSOLUTELY NO ACTIVITY on these sets at ANY price.

Dealer to dealer at shows and by phone. Lot of people holding a lot of sets. Some looking to lighten up. I got offered some last week. Every time I talk to someone they've been offered. I also have to admit none of them took the offer.

LOl ... $$ 28 ?? buy price no way ... such number pushed by some who bought too many sets.... Doubt there will any activity on these sets for a long time ..Those holding sets, better to sell on the bay

Some B&Ms buying the set to sell on ebay,,.. A very large local coin wholesaler , passes on buying the 225th set

You should learn to read more carefully. I didn't say people were buying at $28, I said they were offering at $28. Reading is fundamental

My read set is a dud .... which is why I carefully avoided the Mint trap of waiting months for a sell out ..lol

@pmac said:

Me. Bought one from the mint @ 12 noon day 1. Bought a PCGS SP70 set.. No more. As others have said, it's entertaining to watch the ebb and flow of availability and speculation of WTF the mint is doing.

• HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pmac said:

+5 I purchased five for me & the grand kids.

" If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 31, 2017 11:24AM

Bullsitter needs to invent a "Mint Inventory Wheel" to help us. LoL :smiley:

" If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater

210,485 sold!

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

losing this bet would adversely impact my finances.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

If the title line only had room.

in the spirit of double negatives and the back-and-forth of the availability, I would like to see the title as:
    "Un-Un-Un-Un-Unavailable," or what ever the number.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

So, they still can still release almost 15K sets on Black Friday... :wink:

225th Anniversary Enhanced Uncirculated Coin Set (17XC)
    DateNumber soldNet IncreaseComment
    First 9 weeks deleted
    10/15/2017198,7191,586
    10/22/2017204,7856,066
    10/29/2017210,4855,700

@MsMorrisine said:
    If the title line only had room.

in the spirit of double negatives and the back-and-forth of the availability, I would like to see the title as:
    "Un-Un-Un-Un-Unavailable," or what ever the number.

I'm already up against the character limit for a thread title...

Honestly, if they have 15,000 sets, release them! They'd sell out in 3 weeks and we could get on with our lives. LOL

• goldbuffalogoldbuffalo Posts: 624 ✭✭✭

11,000 set can still be returned and resold.

losing this bet would adversely impact my finances.

Installments?

still unavailable this morning.

Over 100 Limited edition silver sets, however. That one is really a dog. And the 4 piece silver medal set is already selling for under $200 on eBay.

• OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

Limited Edition Proof sets... currently unavailable...must have sold what was earlier available.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • dmwestdmwest Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:
    still unavailable this morning.

This is a record....2 consecutive days without new sets being available......maybe today we will see SOLD OUT.....jk.

Don't quote me on that.

there was a week when they were unavailable for 3 or 4 days.

5 days will make a clear record.

• jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭

How long have the limited edition sets been off sale? Two weeks? I think everything will be “remind me” for a while

@jessewvu said:
    How long have the limited edition sets been off sale? Two weeks? I think everything will be “remind me” for a while

Actually, they've been on sale just about every day. It's just been limited numbers every morning.

They sometimes spend months at "remind me" before they hang out the "Sold Out" sign. That's why "currently unavailable" really doesn't tell us much of anything. They could be nearing a sellout at the 210,500 sold or they could be minting an extra 14,500 as we speak. We'll never know until someone decides to tell us OR they hang out the "Sold Out" sign.

It will be interesting if the "unavailable" status of these sets starts to make changes in sales patterns on eBay. That's now the only place to get them.

@jmlanzaf said:
    It will be interesting if the "unavailable" status of these sets starts to make changes in sales patterns on eBay. That's now the only place to get them.

the ebay seller jesse james (is that jessewvu? who I thought was in MD not MN?) is cannibalizing their own auctions. there is a steady stream of multiples daily, giving no reason to take the bids past the very low $3x range.

If all I wanted was 1 set and nothing more, I'd just keep putting in $30 or $31 until my number comes up. No rush, plenty more where those come from.

until the sets from that seller are sold out, do not look for a rush to bids past $34.95.

JESSE James is not me. He has bought a bunch of my stuff though

@MsMorrisine said:

@jmlanzaf said:

the ebay seller jesse james (is that jessewvu? who I thought was in MD not MN?) is cannibalizing their own auctions. there is a steady stream of multiples daily, giving no reason to take the bids past the very low $3x range.

If all I wanted was 1 set and nothing more, I'd just keep putting in $30 or $31 until my number comes up. No rush, plenty more where those come from.

until the sets from that seller are sold out, do not look for a rush to bids past $34.95.

Unless jesse James is running 1000 auctions per day, it's a blip. The Mint was selling 1000 per day for the last couple of weeks. If even 10 or 20% of that business migrates to eBay, you will see prices solidify and move up. Local coin shops are selling them at $35 - the price of getting to preview the coins, I suppose - but you potentially have hundreds if not thousands of customers looking for these sets. If the missing 14,500 don't materialize, they are going to have to go fishing on the secondary market.

• ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,996 ✭✭✭✭✭

What puzzles me is how cheap the PCGS 70’s sell for. Less than $10 for many coins. Not a very good indicator of future prices imho. The Mint truly screwed the pooch on this set.

It could bee a matter of how many need graded coins
    Or both

On a sad note, I just broke my primary laptop and backup is also toast.

Expect more typing issues than usual

@Manorcourtman said:
    What puzzles me is how cheap the PCGS 70’s sell for. Less than $10 for many coins. Not a very good indicator of future prices imho. The Mint truly screwed the pooch on this set.

Not really true. The nickel, dime and quarters are inexpensive, but that's largely because those are not widely collected series. The cent, half dollar and, less so, the dollar are the keys here. PCGS 70s cents are always $30 to $40 depending on label. The half dollars $20-$30.

The coins really should not be judged on the sale of single MS70 items, especially since 70s are quite common. PCGS MS70 sets still sell for $160 to $250 depending on label, that is $16 to $25 per coin. Raw cents and halves continue to sell for roughly $10 each . At $30, this set remains a bargain with little down side risk. IMHO

• bestdaybestday Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭✭

Mint will make sets available for Christmas Holidays ....then the final sell out at end of year

@bestday said:
    Mint will make sets available for Christmas Holidays ....then the final sell out at end of year

Possible. Not definite.

@bestday said:

Can you please provide the link to the mint website or news release this was taken from?

@bestday said:

I feel another buck bet in the making.... B)

I never bet against the house!

Coin club

(Kudbegud is Jewish)

edited November 2, 2017 12:58PM

That WAS my bet...you can add Xmas to it but that ain't gonna happen....and thus the suggestion of maybe doubling up

@MsMorrisine said:
    (Kudbegud is Jewish)

I'm not

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file