Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

225th Anniversary Enhanced Uncirculated Coin Set (17XC) (SOLD OUT! )

Comments

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,879 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dmwest said:

@MsMorrisine said:

those orange spots are on sacs from proof and mint sets, too.

Sounds like they have an assembly line issue....those orange splashes were noticeable with the naked eye.

D2

Probably detergent from the blanks.

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,837 ✭✭✭✭✭

Whoa a dollar wager? Will the dollar be a silver certificate? Or an Ike buck? Perhaps a Morgan? This could get interesting!!!!!

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:

@OPA said:

@MsMorrisine said:
    I'm not sure if the +6,066 is right or not

slow sales then sales take off?

either way, there are about 20,000 sets not showing up on the inventory.

in fact, looking at the 3,000 showing, and the 204,785, that's about 208,000 which would leave about 17,000 sets with an unknown status.

there is no way they don't mint all 225,000 for sale.

You are assuming a lot with your comment. I'm willing to wager, that they indeed minted all 225k. Keep in mind, this set had a lot of issues with the "bubbles" forming in the plastic & a return rate of 10-15% would not be unheard of. I for one returned half of my sets for that reason. The Mint under normal circumstances usually mints an additional 2 - 3% to cover rejects (4.5 - 7.75k for this issue). Your missing 17K + 7.75k would equal my guesstimate of flawed returns.

what bubbles?

I ain't heard of no bubbles...

Some referred to it as die set up grease....others: The clear plastic contacting the black plastic, sometimes created an air bubble. I really don't know how to explain it any better. As the saying goes....a picture is worth etc etc. see below

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options

@OPA said:

@MsMorrisine said:

@OPA said:

@MsMorrisine said:

in fact, looking at the 3,000 showing, and the 204,785, that's about 208,000 which would leave about 17,000 sets with an unknown status.

You are assuming a lot with your comment. I'm willing to wager, that they indeed minted all 225k. Keep in mind, this set had a lot of issues with the "bubbles" forming in the plastic & a return rate of 10-15% would not be unheard of. I for one returned half of my sets for that reason. The Mint under normal circumstances usually mints an additional 2 - 3% to cover rejects (4.5 - 7.75k for this issue). Your missing 17K + 7.75k would equal my guesstimate of flawed returns.

what bubbles?

Some referred to it as die set up grease....others: The clear plastic contacting the black plastic, sometimes created an air bubble. I really don't know how to explain it any better. As the saying goes....a picture is worth etc etc. see below

They almost all have it. I really don't think of it as damage or a problem.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@OPA said:

@MsMorrisine said:

@OPA said:

@MsMorrisine said:

what bubbles?

Not so, out of 20 sets that I have, 5 had that issue & where returned. And after speaking with a cs supervisor, that appears to have been a major issue.

• Options

@OPA said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@OPA said:

@MsMorrisine said:

@OPA said:

@MsMorrisine said:

m.

Not so, out of 20 sets that I have, 5 had that issue & where returned. And after speaking with a cs supervisor, that appears to have been a major issue.

I've opened over 100 sets. Almost all of them had it or could be made to have it by pressing against the top plastic.

• Options
    edited October 24, 2017 6:57PM

@jmlanzaf said:

@OPA said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@OPA said:

@MsMorrisine said:

@OPA said:

@MsMorrisine said:

m.

I've opened over 100 sets. Almost all of them had it or could be made to have it by pressing against the top plastic.

So you understand what I'm referring to and I hope those weren't your sets. Personally, I would not buy one with that condition and if the seller did not identify it, I would definitely return it & demand my money back. Judging by the eBay sales from sellers having their own scans, there are a lot of sets w/o that issue.

• Options

@OPA said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@OPA said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@OPA said:

@MsMorrisine said:

@OPA said:

@MsMorrisine said:

m.

So you understand what I'm referring to and I hope those weren't your sets. Personally, I would not buy one with that condition and if the seller did not identify it, I would definitely return it & demand my money back. Judging by the eBay sales from sellers having their own scans, there are a lot of sets w/o that issue.

They were my sets, now sold to others. Zero returns

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,511 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is the hard clear plastic case and there is the inner plastic sheet with the coin cups.

When the two touch, that effect is generated. There are no bubbles.

I have previously said there is no oil film. I can say that I've popped a > @OPA said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@OPA said:

@MsMorrisine said:

@OPA said:

@MsMorrisine said:

what bubbles?

There is the hard clear plastic case and there is the inner plastic sheet with the coin cups.

I have previously said there is no oil film. I can say that I've popped a few open and left fingerprints on the plastic sheet with coin cups. The fingerprints are difficult to remove. I take that as no oily film is present as the "skin oils" smear stubbornly before being removed.

Someone good with physics of light would be able to explain that interference pattern.

Disclosing it would be the same as disclosing the black box ends don't align perfectly when closed.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BackroadJunkie said:
    Numbers were just posted. Big jump. Could be people saw the 2018 schedule and realized this will be a one year set?

225th Anniversary Enhanced Uncirculated Coin Set (17XC)
    DateNumber soldNet IncreaseComment
    First 9 weeks deleted
    10/15/2017198,7191,586
    10/22/2017204,7856,066

Well, one of those are mine, on the way...

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options

@MsMorrisine said:

I have previously said there is no oil film. I can say that I've popped a > @OPA said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@OPA said:

@MsMorrisine said:

@OPA said:

@MsMorrisine said:

I have previously said there is no oil film. I can say that I've popped a few open and left fingerprints on the plastic sheet with coin cups. The fingerprints are difficult to remove. I take that as no oily film is present as the "skin oils" smear stubbornly before being removed.

Someone good with physics of light would be able to explain that interference pattern.

Disclosing it would be the same as disclosing the black box ends don't align perfectly when closed.

It's a thin film interference effect, much like a layer of oil on a puddle. It's not the oil that does it, it's the presence of a thin layer of ANYTHING even air that does it. Because of the index difference at the interface of the thin layer, light bounces back and forth which separates the color in the same way a prism does when it bends light. The key is the thickness of the layer and the index difference.

That said, I'm not convinced there isn't water or something in their because it does seem slightly "sticky" but it appears natural and harmless and of insignificant quantity if there is anything there at all.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,511 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've opened them. I couldn't feel anything, and my "skin oils" did nothing to repel anything. wiping prints off that inner plastic is like wiping string out of Velcro. Also, the plastic doesn't necessarily take prints either.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't believe they will crank up the presses and mint any more. Ten more individual coins and all that entails? Not gonna happen.

• Options
    goldbuffalogoldbuffalo Posts: 618 ✭✭✭

That picture is Not an issue. I opened a bunch of these switching out coins, there is no oil or anything.

Second, I returned 50 of these, all where bad sets and should not be resold. I’m sure many thousands were sent back for being horrible coins that should be destroyed.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

@goldbuffalo said:
    That picture is Not an issue. I opened a bunch of these switching out coins, there is no oil or anything.

Second, I returned 50 of these, all where bad sets and should not be resold. I’m sure many thousands were sent back for being horrible coins that should be destroyed.

The employees at the distribution center are for the most part not coin collectors. They won't even notice defects that the average experienced collector will find obvious and unacceptable. I wouldn't be surprised if most of the returned sets are put back into inventory and resold to other collectors.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    Voltaire: Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero.

• Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

@goldbuffalo said:

The employees at the distribution center are for the most part not coin collectors. They won't even notice defects that the average experienced collector will find obvious and unacceptable. I wouldn't be surprised if most of the returned sets are put back into inventory and resold to other collectors.

That's what I used to think. However, if that was the case, we'd be hearing complaints of dinged up COA's, fingerprints and scratches on the lenses, banged up and obviously opened set boxes, etc. I just haven't seen that sort of complaint. If returns were put back into inventory, I'd think we'd hear about it.

Amazon does put returned merchandise back into inventory, and it's very obvious when I get a returned product. (It's happened a couple of times, both times with computer hardware.)

• Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:

@BigA said:

You are assuming a lot with your comment. I'm willing to wager, that they indeed minted all 225k.

I agree....and also believe that the final figure will be south of 210k

A Wager!

One Dollar....

They sell within 2,250 of 225,000 before they go "sold out"

They will mint to demand up to 225,000 give or take, by a second or third run if necessary.

OK....one buck....over/under is 222,500 B)

• Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭

What if you only shoot a doe? Bucks can be easy to find this time of year though.

Good luck

• Options
    nurmalernurmaler Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭

they're moving quick...

• Options
    dmwestdmwest Posts: 957 ✭✭✭✭

@nurmaler said:
    they're moving quick...

People are suspecting this may actually be the last of them.....

Don't quote me on that.

• Options
  • Options

Thanks Nurmaler!!!

At that pace, they'll go unavailable by the weekend. That would be interesting. Of course they may not be officially "sold out" for 6 months after that. LOL

• Options

@BigA said:

@MsMorrisine said:

@BigA said:

You are assuming a lot with your comment. I'm willing to wager, that they indeed minted all 225k.

I agree....and also believe that the final figure will be south of 210k

A Wager!

One Dollar....

They sell within 2,250 of 225,000 before they go "sold out"

They will mint to demand up to 225,000 give or take, by a second or third run if necessary.

OK....one buck....over/under is 222,500 B)

I think it's either sold out under 210,000 or it's sold out above 222,500. LOL.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:
    Thanks Nurmaler!!!

At that pace, they'll go unavailable by the weekend. That would be interesting. Of course they may not be officially "sold out" for 6 months after that. LOL

I think marked unavailable Friday and marked Sold Out next Wed.

Don't quote me on that.

• Options

@dmwest said:

@jmlanzaf said:
    Thanks Nurmaler!!!

I think marked unavailable Friday and marked Sold Out next Wed.

That would be VERY interesting...but I'd bet it takes them much longer to go Sold Out, even if they are Sold Out. Look at the Limited Edition Silver Set. They've been at 49,975 for two weeks, selling one or two returns every day or so. With the sheer number of EU sets they've sold in the last couple of weeks (as many as 10,000), they'd definitely wait a while before declaring an official sell out. They are not exactly quick flipping that switch.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:
    That would be VERY interesting...but I'd bet it takes them much longer to go Sold Out, even if they are Sold Out. Look at the Limited Edition Silver Set. They've been at 49,975 for two weeks, selling one or two returns every day or so. With the sheer number of EU sets they've sold in the last couple of weeks (as many as 10,000), they'd definitely wait a while before declaring an official sell out. They are not exactly quick flipping that switch.

I'm thinking the pain this set caused them is worth moving on by flipping that switch as soon as possible....but the Mint may not think that way... :)

Don't quote me on that.

• Options

@dmwest said:

@jmlanzaf said:

I'm thinking the pain this set caused them is worth moving on by flipping that switch as soon as possible....but the Mint may not think that way... :)

Believe me, I would LOVE IT. If it were officially sold out next week or even just stayed unavailable through Christmas, the price would actually move up and I could make fun of Best Day.

• Options

@nurmaler said:
    they're moving quick...

I am helping it out as well, bought 3 days in a row, will buy today and probably tomorrow. Its a free shipping anyway and I want to get as many as possible.

• Options

@nurmaler said:
    they're moving quick...

I may have to try for my last strike sets again...

• Options

@BackroadJunkie said:

@nurmaler said:
    they're moving quick...

LOL. You may end up with 1000 last strikes if they keep finding new ones to sell. :smiley:

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@BackroadJunkie said:

@nurmaler said:
    they're moving quick...

LOL. You may end up with 1000 last strikes if they keep finding new ones to sell. :smiley:

Yeah, I know. I swore I'd draw the line at 10 sets, but I may splurge and go in for 2 more...

• Options

Still more than 99 available. :smiley:

• Options

grabbed few more today, told my brother in law to get some and he picked up a few

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

these sets are already split up pretty good, there are probably more people holding 100-500 sets then there are holding more then 1,000 sets

• Options

still more than 100 left... :smiley:

Bump

• Options

@coinpalice said:
    these sets are already split up pretty good, there are probably more people holding 100-500 sets then there are holding more then 1,000 sets

There's a lot of 1100 on eBay

• Options

bet the mint is down to 500 this morning.....200 this afternoon....unavailable tomorrow

Don't quote me on that.

• Options

@dmwest said:
    bet the mint is down to 500 this morning.....200 this afternoon....unavailable tomorrow

That seems about right based on the sales over the last 10 days. Could even go as soon as today.

• Options

@nurmaler said:
    they're moving quick...

Can you check, please, how many in stock available today? Thx

• Options

@Trubach said:

@nurmaler said:
    they're moving quick...

Can you check, please, how many in stock available today? Thx

I just checked, and they have at least 100...

Waiting... Waiting... :)

• Options
    nurmalernurmaler Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭

• Options

Thanks for the number

• Options

@nurmaler said:

Thanks!

I almost want to buy 580 just to see what happens! :wink:

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

any guess when these sets hit 40 dollars? I say 3 months if sellout holds up

• Options

@nurmaler said:

Thanks for a number, I am buying more, trying to place separate orders. Any idea if I place few separate orders at the same time ,will they ship them separate or they will ship them all together?

• Options

@Trubach said:

@nurmaler said:

Thanks for a number, I am buying more, trying to place separate orders. Any idea if I place few separate orders at the same time ,will they ship them separate or they will ship them all together?

They'll ship separately. You'll also be charge separately.

• Options

@BackroadJunkie said:

@Trubach said:

@nurmaler said:

They'll ship separately. You'll also be charge separately.

thx

• Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭✭

@Gluggo said:
    I sure hope this sell out I am holdin a bunch of these don't want this to be another Enron or DRYS. I hope my AMD goes up tomorrow don't need another BAG TO HOLD. :'(:s:s

The CEO of DRYS laughs at investors.. he keeps selling new stock .. gullible buyers eat it up > @dmwest said:

@nurmaler said:
    they're moving quick...

Mint will roll out more sets after these are gone ..

• Options

@bestday said:

@Gluggo said:
    I sure hope this sell out I am holdin a bunch of these don't want this to be another Enron or DRYS. I hope my AMD goes up tomorrow don't need another BAG TO HOLD. :'(:s:s

The CEO of DRYS laughs at investors.. he keeps selling new stock .. gullible buyers eat it up > @dmwest said:

@nurmaler said:
    they're moving quick...

Don't hold your breath waiting for that to happen. B) ...They are history and history won't be repeated :p

• Options

@OPA said:

@bestday said:

@Gluggo said:

@nurmaler said:
    they're moving quick...

Don't hold your breath waiting for that to happen. B) ...They are history and history won't be repeated :p

OPA, well said. When people are comparing anything with DRYS stock is so ridiculous. DRYS is a scam company.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file