Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Two 2017 Proof Silver Eagles this year... (Updated. This might be interesting...)

14567810»

Comments

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just received my backorder set today. Almost 10 days after shipping...thanks to fedex stupidpost.
    I also, this morning, received a USMint survey request.

I filled that out....and was quite open about the way that backorders are handled, imho, especially when it is for a product with a limited mintage (ie....they should be ready to go with the entire mintage...especially when there is a big premium on the product...and with the spot price of silver being what it is, even a proof SAE has quite the premium on it...the packaging material on the Congrats set is certainly not worth very much).

I also was quite open about them using fedex stupidpost and how I felt it was better when it was USPS the whole way.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    alohagaryalohagary Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭✭

once again I would like to thank Bacjroadjunkie for sharing the information that these 2017 eagles could be good. I just sold the ones that I purchased at a great profit. I enjoy the sharing of information on this forum and feel that it greatly promotes our hobby to the benefit of everyone, without sharing of knowledge our hobby would suffer

• Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ugh. Was in grade waiting hell all weekend.

Sent 8 in ATS, 4 came back 69UC, 4 came back 70UC. About average. Should be getting the free Red Book, so that's a bonus. :)

The Mint has flipped the Congrats set from "Sold Out" to "Currently Unavailable". I checked this morning at 7:30, and nada... HAhahahaha...

• Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

Once again thanks for starting this thread.
    Arrived today,

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sold all 6 of my sets last month for $155+.... I can't complain...It's been a dry spell for "popular" new US Mint products, with only a few exceptions.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options

Saw them go for $150+ for a long while, then stay in the $140+...now some going a bit lower.
    Did see one closed ~$190 today....not sure what to make of that BIN...quite the outlier.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

Prices appear to be softening around the $130-$140 range of late. I'd expect them to go down a bit further once people realize this coin will be available once again later this year.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

We shall see what happens. I have seen similar where it goes up right after it is issued and received, then heads down then, depending on demand and issue, goes back up.

There will be some who want the OGP (people like me) and some who want it in a slab for registry/completeness/etc. That splits them up.

Then, we shall see if the TPGS actually does keep the next set as "1st strike" as there is likely NOTHING to differentiate between those and these. If they aren't eligible for 1st strike, then the current ones likely to go up....those already 1st strike, or eligible.

Time will tell

• Options
    edited May 5, 2017 6:32AM

As a collector, I'd prefer the OGP of the later set vs the Congratulations folder, especially if I can essentially get the other coins free at the Mint price vs secondary prices for these sets.

I believe many ebay buyers don't yet realize that this coin will be available again later this year.

Is there any notable spread in price between loose raw congratulations sets and FS graded coins, unless they are graded a perfect 70? FS is an arbitrary designation in my opinion so I don't follow those, nor would I personally pay any premium for them because if you cover the flip there is no way you can even tell the difference between a FS designated coin and a non FS coin.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

What is the FS cutoff date?

• Options
    nurmalernurmaler Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭

@jessewvu said:
    What is the FS cutoff date?

Pretty sure PCGS was Tuesday and NGC this coming Monday.

• Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 5, 2017 10:33AM

@grote15 said:.

Is there any notable spread in price between loose raw congratulations sets and FS graded coins, unless they are graded a perfect 70? FS is an arbitrary designation in my opinion so I don't follow those, nor would I personally pay any premium for them because if you cover the flip there is no way you can even tell the difference between a FS designated coin and a non FS coin. >

If by FS graded coins and not 70's you mean 69's then they are getting just about the same with a tad more for the 69's but not much. The 70's are in the $240-260 range

..and...if you plan to eventually sell your coin it really doesn't matter whether YOU would pay a premium for the FS label..others will and that's what's important.

• Options
    edited May 5, 2017 1:26PM

@BigA said:

@grote15 said:.

Is there any notable spread in price between loose raw congratulations sets and FS graded coins, unless they are graded a perfect 70? FS is an arbitrary designation in my opinion so I don't follow those, nor would I personally pay any premium for them because if you cover the flip there is no way you can even tell the difference between a FS designated coin and a non FS coin. >

If by FS graded coins and not 70's you mean 69's then they are getting just about the same with a tad more for the 69's but not much. The 70's are in the $240-260 range

..and...if you plan to eventually sell your coin it really doesn't matter whether YOU would pay a premium for the FS label..others will and that's what's important.

The latter part of your statement may be true but you misunderstood my point. I was simply asking what spread there is (if any) between the coins in OGP and graded 69.

I realize there are those who will pay a premium for the letters First Strike on the flip but I wouldn't.

I sold all 6 of my coins at nearly 3x the issue price, so no regrets either way. Will probably pick up a couple limited edition proof sets when they are released later this year.

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,482 ✭✭✭✭

@jwitten said:

@19Lyds said:
    I don't know what to make of this anymore. Stupid US Mint. You'd think they would have learned by now!

I finally cancelled the order I placed with an ebay seller who still had not received his/her back ordered set so now I'll just have to wait for the Limited Edition set or for prices to relax which I KNOW they will.

Why would you cancel? Most ebay sales have been pre-orders. My 2 buyers have been very understanding that the mint is goofy about shipping. Plus, compared to what they are going for now, they got a great deal. I just wish the mint would hurry up and ship them to me.

I canceled for the very same reason I ordered at the inflated price. I wanted one "in hand".

I have since paid more for one which I received within 5 days specifically for my Dansco Collection.

I feel dumb enough for not being online and ready to order on the 4th and I just did not want to "gamble" that the prices would come down OR go up OR that those "confirmed orders" ended up being cancelled by the US Mint.

In short, I just wanted to be done with it.

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭

I was sleeping when these hit also. Darn, had to pay "retail". Oh well.

Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • Options
    CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭

@OPA said:
    Sold all 6 of my sets last month for $155+.... I can't complain...It's been a dry spell for "popular" new US Mint products, with only a few exceptions.

True. I have put a National Park Service in 70 for what they were selling for at first and it is like fishing in a swimming pool.

Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • Options
    dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭

Waiting for my PCGS 70 to arrive, got this one today.

Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • Options

@dtkk49a said:
    Waiting for my PCGS 70 to arrive, got this one today.

I've got four of those and four in 69 coming, and it's taking it's damn sweet time getting here. Last known location was in Georgia a couple of days ago. :(

Is the insert really that red?

• Options

@grote15 said:
    FS is an arbitrary designation in my opinion so I don't follow those, nor would I personally pay any premium for them because if you cover the flip there is no way you can even tell the difference between a FS designated coin and a non FS coin.

Let me know when you can tell the difference between a 69 and a 70, ;)

• Options

@BackroadJunkie said:

@grote15 said:
    FS is an arbitrary designation in my opinion so I don't follow those, nor would I personally pay any premium for them because if you cover the flip there is no way you can even tell the difference between a FS designated coin and a non FS coin.

Let me know when you can tell the difference between a 69 and a 70, ;)

That's tough enough, as well, lol..

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't be surprised if HSN and Coin Vault snatched most of 'em! ;)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

Snatched most of what up?

• Options
    dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭

Tim, what are the specifics as far as these becoming available once again? Will it be just the leftovers from this release?

Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • Options

@dtkk49a said:
    Tim, what are the specifics as far as these becoming available once again? Will it be just the leftovers from this release?

The coin (2017S ASE) will be available in the overpriced and oversized LE Silver set. No release date, nor product limit announced. (The 2016 has a product limit of 50K, priced at $139.95, and is still available if you want one!)

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

However not overpriced compared to what these congrats SAEs are bringing.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jessewvu said:
    Snatched most of what up?

The 2017 Proof Eagles

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options

@7Jaguars said:
    However not overpriced compared to what these congrats SAEs are bringing.

Only if you score a set from the mint. I assume aftermarket prices would become just as overbloated as the Congrats sets.

I anticipate brisk sales for the LE set this year. I wonder how fast they'd sell if they kept the mintage at 50K with no HHL's? The Mint couldn't be that nasty, could they? :smiley:

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

Let's see, we don't call it "nasty". It's just good business - and real collectors be dar(m)ned!

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 6, 2017 12:22PM

What would happen if they treat it like a regular silver PF set and put NO mintage limits on it.....(AND no HH limits)

• Options

@BigA said:
    What would happen if they treat it like a regular silver PF set and put NO mintage limits on it.....(AND no HH limits)

I'd get out the popcorn and watch the world go insane. :smiley:

I'd WAG one of two things would happen. They'd sell so many they'd run out of OGP, and customers would be on backorder for a month while they make more, during which time prices would plummet and huge number of cancellations would occur, perhaps making the new packaging unnecessary.

The other thing that could happen, happened in 2012. The Mint produced the San Francisco ASE set and sold 225K. The Mint then released the 2012-S in the Making American History set, greatly annoying the collectors by releasing it into another, unannounced set (which you can still hear grumbles about today). They only sold 57K Making History sets, still keeping the 2012-S ASE the lowest mintage regular proof next to the 95W.

The big difference between then and now, is they sold 225K of the 2012 (minted to demand), vs. 75K of the 2017-S in the congrats set before the second release of the coin.

• Options

@BackroadJunkie said:

I've got four of those and four in 69 coming, and it's taking it's damn sweet time getting here. Last known location was in Georgia a couple of days ago. :(

Is the insert really that red?

I just love it when I can quote myself.

Got mine back from ATS today. Insert is white. Whew. Though it might look like a red-headed step-child in my ASE collection.

I have to say, the package both to and from (via registered mail) was the fastest it's ever been. 19 days from mailing the coins to getting them back is a record for me.

• Options

Well, it's over. The set has been removed from the US Mint Catalog, so I guess that means it's officially sold out.

17RF 2017 CONGRATULATIONS SET 74901 5/29/2017

Now we'll see how many LE sets they decide to make...

• Options
    dmwestdmwest Posts: 947 ✭✭✭✭

@nurmaler said:

So this set has the S Eagle in it, right?

That's correct....

Don't quote me on that.

• Options

In case no one noticed, it looks like there will be two general proof ASE releases in 2018, one from West Point, the other from San Francisco.

The S-Mint ASE will not be in the 2018 Congrats set, but looks like it will be in the 2018 LESP.

If that's the case (assuming the S-Mint is unlimited like the WP proof), the 2017-S should retain its value...

(This post duplicated in the 2017 LESP set thread.)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file