Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Two 2017 Proof Silver Eagles this year... (Updated. This might be interesting...)

Comments

• Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

USM049852XX @ 12:01, cc charged 4.95 but on backorder(?) Now I'm wondering if I'll get my five...

• Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭

Just waiting for more product to arrive....they OBVIOUSLY didn't consider the S ASE as a big deal. Last years' set has sold under 3000 so they expected the same....
    (I'm backordered also)

• Options
    tizofthetizofthe Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭

I need one of these for my set. I can pay 90.00 + 5.00 shipping. That's about what you would get from eBay after all fees are paid.

Transactions..
    wondercoin, duffman,PiecesOfMe, Smittys, LogPotato, Bumanchu, Tydye, segoja, Harry779, FullCameo, Twosidestoeverycoin, jmdm1194, rkfish, drewsef, Chrischampeo, Kaelasdad, Ahrensdad, Dabigkahuna, Barbwire, sebrown, mkman123, Gerard
  • Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

@renman95 said:
    USM049852XX @ 12:01, cc charged 4.95 but on backorder(?) Now I'm wondering if I'll get my five...

My second order (same order number as yours) was backordered and only pinged for $4.95 yesterday. It flipped to "processing" with the full amount charged to my CC this morning.

@BigA said:
    Just waiting for more product to arrive....they OBVIOUSLY didn't consider the S ASE as a big deal. Last years' set has sold under 3000 so they expected the same....
    (I'm backordered also)

The mint has this real problem of only being able to project from the previous set's sales. It happened with the 2011 20th anniversary ASE set, the Truman and Ike C&C Prezibuck sets, the 2016 Platinum Proof, etc.

Maybe it's a standard government formula. :wink:

But as mentioned before, I wouldn't doubt the reason late orders got backordered, is because they're being held so the American Liberty coins go out ASAP. Can't have some throwaway set interfering with the mint's premier offering this year. (Yes, I am a cynic. Punching out 75K proof eagles is a drop in the bucket compared to what they actually produce.)

• Options
    hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got 5 this AM. 1/2 hour later on backorder.

Hoping Mint does what they sometimes do on hot items- ship Last In, First Out.

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

When an Ebay seller says "one of 1,000" something smells rotten. The mint couldn't have set a HH limit somewhere south of that? What collector is gonna buy 1,000 @ $54.95 each? Really? And this might not be all this seller bought in the first 2 minutes after the bell.

Let me make a suggestion that will be rejected by the Mint powers that be quicker than this sell out....Make any product release have and automatic HH limit UNDER 100 ! ** Sheesh. To some it could look like the big buyers had the fix in. 70K sold in 2 minutes is **EXCESSIVE GREED !

They could always make the automatic HH limit unlimited after a week or 4 days or something.

• Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree, there should be a set limit on 'limited' editions such as this. I wanted only one for my coin collection. I was lucky this morning to have the chance to purchase one. I see they are all over e-bay already...

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 15,068 ✭✭✭✭✭

The issue is not that the Mint mishandled the marketing of a hot item – the issue is that the Mint does not know what a hot item is when they create one.

The Congratulations set has historically just been one more packaging option for a coin that is available elsewhere. I assume that they never sell out year to year. It did not occur to anyone at the Mint that putting a special coin into the set this year would change the demand for the set.

They made the same mistake with the Presidential Coin & Chronicles sets when they based the production for the Truman set - which had a coin unique to the set - on the demand for previous sets which had no special coin in them. I am sure there are other examples of a similar miscalculations or shortsightedness. They are bureaucrats, not collectors, and they do not understand their market.

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:
    The issue is not that the Mint mishandled the marketing of a hot item – the issue is that the Mint does not know what a hot item is when they create one.

The Congratulations set has historically just been one more packaging option for a coin that is available elsewhere. I assume that they never sell out year to year. It did not occur to anyone at the Mint that putting a special coin into the set this year would change the demand for the set.

They made the same mistake with the Presidential Coin & Chronicles sets when they based the production for the Truman set - which had a coin unique to the set - on the demand for previous sets which had no special coin in them. I am sure there are other examples of a similar miscalculations or shortsightedness. They are bureaucrats, not collectors, and they do not understand their market.

It's apparent, that in this case they knew it was going to be "a hot item," judging by the mintage compared to previous years.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    Paulyaces76Paulyaces76 Posts: 294 ✭✭
    edited April 5, 2017 9:53AM

Someone needs to get to the bottom of this one. Might be some collusion going on fairly high up with some powerful dealers. This stinks to high heaven! No HH limit makes NO SENSE!!!!!Reminds me of The C and C 2014 set

• Options
  • Options
  • Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:

The Mint knows exactly what it's doing. To assume otherwise is foolish

The more you VAM..
  • Options

Shipped Email !!

• Options

@CascadeChris said:

@JBK said:

I guess you are a bit more cynical than I am. There have been too many screw-ups in rolling out new products where no one was happy with the result for me to believe that this is all part of some big conspiracy. In recent years the Mint has routinely both underproduced and overproduced coins. What is the purpose? Who at the Mint profits? (I realize that dealers/flippers profit, but how is that linked to the Mint?)

I subscribe to the adage: "Never ascribe to malice that which can be explained by incompetence."

Absent any proof of collusion and bribes, I just see incompetence.

• Options

Yep, I now have tracking. The one for sale up above is someone that got one from a mint store correct?

• Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭

@denali12 said:
    Channel surfing last night and the coin vault had a "philly" 2017 ASE NGC "1 of 75,389" PR69DCAM .. for $399.99..not sure if same or different

They are selling 2015 MS69s ASE Bullion from the (S) mint. They don't have an s mint mark but the monster box is from the San Francisco Mint. They are selling them for $400. These might be the ones your are referring to.

• Options

@JBK said:

@CascadeChris said:

@JBK said:

I guess you are a bit more cynical than I am. There have been too many screw-ups in rolling out new products where no one was happy with the result for me to believe that this is all part of some big conspiracy. In recent years the Mint has routinely both underproduced and overproduced coins. What is the purpose? Who at the Mint profits? (I realize that dealers/flippers profit, but how is that linked to the Mint?)

I subscribe to the adage: "Never ascribe to malice that which can be explained by incompetence."

Absent any proof of collusion and bribes, I just see incompetence.

It's not a conspiracy and I'm not cynical in the least. Its brilliant marketing pure and simple. They're never going to please everyone no matter what they do. They do this stuff occasionally to keep interest up for the next one and keep the proverbial blood pumping while making a tidy profit in a short amount of time. They know exactly what they're doing and it works. To think they are simpletons that just throw darts at a product board and randomly come up with a mintage is foolish. That said, if you want to think they're aimless idiots when it comes to marketing go ahead but it is the furthest from the truth. Now when it comes to choosing new coin designs, in that department they need some big help. Hopefully KAJ can bring about decent change with that in his appointment to the CCAC

The more you VAM..
  • Options

@BackroadJunkie said:

@pf70collector said:
    Snagged 5 this morning at exactly 7 30 AM. One order of one and one order of 4. I was going after three more but at 7:34 it was no longer available.

Cool. Glad you were able to snag a few.

If the mint is piecemealing the sets like that, then they really must have moved all 75K. Are your orders backordered?

Yes , they are backordered. My debit card was pinged, but not charged for both orders.

I have managed to snag in the past when they unavailable at exactly 7:30 AM. I tried at 6:30 and 7 AM EST with no luck. So got on around 7:28 AM and kept refreshing and got lucky at exactly 7:30 AM.

• Options
    SONOMOSCASONOMOSCA Posts: 405 ✭✭✭

My USM049856XX order has shipped. Faster than I had anticipated.

BST transactions - Wondercoin, SNMAN , Mb423, Timbuk3
  • Options

... So got on around 7:28 AM and kept refreshing and got lucky at exactly 7:30 AM.

Me too, 6:33 Central time.

• Options

Both my orders shipped.

But smartpost....

• Options
    dmwestdmwest Posts: 957 ✭✭✭✭

049855XX my order is still showing backorder.....don't know if that means I'm out of luck or not....strange if orders after mine are being shipped and mine is still showing backorder

Don't quote me on that.

• Options
    TurboSnailTurboSnail Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭✭✭

Honestly, to the collectors who missed out, do not freak out. The 2017 LES will be coming later this year. And those big time buyers will not purchase in bulk due to the margin. The only concern are those who collect 2017 silver quarters , half dollars etc as those may flood the market if everyone starts to break apart the LES.

• Options

@Paulyaces76 said:
    Yep, I now have tracking. The one for sale up above is someone that got one from a mint store correct?

It would have to be as "shipping" began only this morning. I say "shipping" because that only means the shipping label was generated. But that is the first step. I expect they will start moving out tomorrow just ahead of and because of the 225th anniversary gold going on sale at noon EDT tomorrow. They don't want two massive shipments going on at the same time.

• Options

Got the shipping notice for my measly 4 :smile:

The more you VAM..
  • Options

@TurboSnail said:
    Honestly, to the collectors who missed out, do not freak out. The 2017 LES will be coming later this year. And those big time buyers will not purchase in bulk due to the margin. The only concern are those who collect 2017 silver quarters , half dollars etc as those may flood the market if everyone starts to break apart the LES.

75K, will this include the 2017 LES?

• Options
    thevolcanogodthevolcanogod Posts: 270 ✭✭✭

@ECHOES said:

@TurboSnail said:

The 75k does not include the LE silver set - just the 2017 Congratulations set.

• Options

@thevolcanogod said:

@ECHOES said:

@TurboSnail said:

The 75k does not include the LE silver set - just the 2017 Congratulations set.

Thanks~

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,592 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 5, 2017 3:53PM

Received shipping email this afternoon for my 6 sets. Sold 5 on eBay at $119 and keeping the other for now.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,532 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was only going to order one, but I didn't think about it.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any guesses on how big the largest order was?

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options

@Overdate said:
    Any guesses on how big the largest order was?

Don't quote me on that.

• Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

Frustratingly interesting. My measly little order of two with order number USM049853xx is still PENDING like it has since my order was placed. What happened to common courtesy of FIFO?

@SONOMOSCA said:

• Options

@Batman23 said:
    Frustratingly interesting. My measly little order of two with order number USM049853xx is still PENDING like it has since my order was placed. What happened to common courtesy of FIFO?

@SONOMOSCA said:

It's mint policy, FIFO, but you couldn't prove from actual forum members experience.

• Options
    Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭
    edited April 5, 2017 4:46PM

Well, the Mint is up to it's usual tricks. My second order place a little after 12:01 shipped today but my first order placed seconds after 12:00 is on backorder. Hmmmmmmmmmm!!!

Now another interesting thing is my first order shows $4.95 where it had showed the total amount of the order earlier yet my CC shows pings for both orders in the full amount. Hmmmmmmmmm!!!

• Options

@Batman23 said:

@SONOMOSCA said:

I think that really stinks! I know there is no way of knowing how fast orders will ship,
    but what I do now is after placing the items in my cart I wait a minute to place the order.
    As crazy as it sounds I believe it has helped.

Some people have been claiming their order was changed to backordered, and they
    had a lower order number. My order stayed in processing and never changed. Go figure.

• Options

@SONOMOSCA said:

@Batman23 said:

@SONOMOSCA said:

I think that really stinks! I know there is no way of knowing how fast orders will ship,
    but what I do now is after placing the items in my cart I wait a minute to place the order.
    As crazy as it sounds I believe it has helped.

Some people have been claiming their order was changed to backordered, and they
    had a lower order number. My order stayed in processing and never changed. Go figure.

"DANGER WILL ROBINSON"

Putting an item in your cart does not reserve it. You could get a nasty surprise of thinking you have it then discover it went unavailable while you were waiting that minute. Especially on a 2 minute sellout.

• Options

Has anyone who completed an order that then went from processing to backorder payed extra for expedited shipping? That would suck

The more you VAM..
  • Options

It does not look like there were that many orders. Maybe 3K, so these should be shipping out very quickly is my guess.

• Options

@Coins101 said:

Now another interesting thing is my first order shows $4.95 where it had showed the total amount of the order earlier yet my CC shows pings for both orders in the full amount. Hmmmmmmmmm!!!

That's what I spoke to the Mint about and they said I would be credited back all except for the $4.95....strange...

Don't quote me on that.

• Options

@Kudbegud - I agree I got lucky on this one. Let's just saying I under estimated this one.
    At first I placed 10 in my cart and changed it to 4. Haven't been to pleased with the Mint lately.

• Options

Everyone needs to keep in mind that an order more than $300 gets upgraded to expedited shipping. That's 5.5 sets, which is why I had two orders of 5, so I wouldn't miss the UPS guy by 10 seconds.

The downside is they're coming smartpost, rather than signiture required ground.

• Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SONOMOSCA said:

What The Franklin!

• Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭

Xxxx854xx
    Xxxx850xx

Both still processing...

• Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭

@jessewvu said:
    Xxxx854xx
    Xxxx850xx

Both still processing...

My 49852xx is right between those numbers and is backordered (??)

• Options
    edited April 6, 2017 6:38AM

@alohagary said:
    I would like to thank Backroadjunkie for posting this thread and informing me the potential in this proof s mint silver eagle. This is one of the main reason I read this forums. to learn and keep up with this fantastic hobby. I always find interesting and useful information here. I look forward each day to reading the forums. I appreciate all the posters sharing their individual insights
    Gary

Ditto!!!

• Options

Both my orders are on a truck being whisked away from Southaven. (Both have the same departure time, so I assume it's the same truck.) FedEx says Monday. That would be a new record for smartpost. A week from order day to delivery. Not bad for the Mint.

The expedited orders might actually start being delivered by Friday...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file