Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Two 2017 Proof Silver Eagles this year... (Updated. This might be interesting...)

Comments

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 4, 2017 9:36AM

Posted on Twitter about 12:15 EDT

"Missed it by that much" Maxwell Smart circa 1960's
    "What a maroon" Bugs Bunny some time in the 1940's I think.

• Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anecdotal numbers:

Lowest: USM049849XX
    Highest: USM049857XX
    800 orders would have been 93/order. Entirely possible.

Earliest sell out time 12:02, but it was probably into 12:03. (I think the 2015 APE was shorter, I'd have to check.)

Got e-mail confirmation for both orders. Whew.

• Options
    TurboSnailTurboSnail Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭✭✭

Someone on ebay already sold 36 at $130 a piece. lol

• Options
    edited April 4, 2017 9:45AM

@BackroadJunkie said:

Got e-mail confirmation for both orders. Whew.

Mr too

edited to add
    I expect it to "ship" tomorrow. Meaning the shipping label will be generated. Actual departure from the fulfillment company Thursday. Just in time to start fulfilling the 225th anniversary gold first order rush. Busy Busy Busy

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,485 ✭✭✭✭

@kiyote said:
    Mintage 75k, no household limit! This thing will be gone in half an hour.

Did the "big boys" already buy up half the stock or am I just being conspirital?

Currently unavailable after 36 minutes.

I got there too late.

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

Judging by the Order #....This item does not appear to be sold out. I suspect the initial production run, which may have been less than 10,000, has been sold. Just my take.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    dmwestdmwest Posts: 957 ✭✭✭✭

How many can you buy at one time? I know it says no household limit, but I assume the mint won't let someone buy 20k at a time?

Don't quote me on that.

• Options
    tyler267tyler267 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭✭

@dmwest said:
    How many can you buy at one time? I know it says no household limit, but I assume the mint won't let someone buy 20k at a time?

• Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭

Maybe this was the Mints' way of actually selling more of the LE PF set....$200 will make them a lot of cash....but that doesn't explain the no HH limit thing..just the low mintage

• Options
    CoinlearnerCoinlearner Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭✭

Sat this offering out. May be at the starting line when the mint has these up again. Fun to watch from the sidelines.....

• Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭✭✭

I missed this one even though I had it in my bag and clicked checkout, sometime circa 12;02 or 12:03. Easily my most disgusting Eagle experience, with the possible exception of the 1995-W.

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,911 ✭✭✭✭✭

Different that's for sure.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,321 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ridiculous!
    Some of us are ACTUALLY COLLECTORS!
    One would be fine.....whatever

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options

@tyler267 said:

@dmwest said:

I believe that's a website limitation.

If you called, you could probably get as many as you wanted.

• Options

@BackroadJunkie said:

@tyler267 said:

@dmwest said:

As quick as they sold I doubt you could call and get any in that short period of time?

Don't quote me on that.

• Options
    djmdjm Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dmwest said:

@BackroadJunkie said:

@tyler267 said:

@dmwest said:

As quick as they sold I doubt you could call and get any in that short period of time?

They do answer the phone before 12:00 Noon, they just can't sell till Noon.

• Options
    edited April 4, 2017 10:09AM

@BackroadJunkie said:

@tyler267 said:

@dmwest said:

I saw somewhere that there was a limit on a cred card per order of $25k set by the Mint. So just easy math ...$25k / $54.95 = 454.959

edited to add
    Off the US Mint site

So if you use wire transfer as a bulk buyer it's kinda "the sky's the limit"

• Options

All the government agencies have the $25K per credit card.

• Options
    tyler267tyler267 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭✭

I placed two small orders the first one the mint charged my credit card for the coins plus 4.95 shipping. The second order said backorder when I placed the order. The mint then charged my credit card a second time for just the 4.95 shipping but not the coins. Any idea what's going on?

• Options

@tyler267 said:
    I placed two small orders the first one the mint charged my credit card for the coins plus 4.95 shipping. The second order said backorder when I placed the order. The mint then charged my credit card a second time for just the 4.95 shipping but not the coins. Any idea what's going on?

They are pending authorizations just to see if your card is good. They will go away in a day or two and then the correct charges will post.

• Options

Quick update: My USM049850xx is still processing, but my USM049852xx is on backorder.

Hmmm....

• Options
    NotSureNotSure Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭

Already got my order confirm....and the way theyre moving on the bay......looks good thus far

I'll come up with something.
  • Options

@tyler267 said:

I just chekced, they did the same to me. The $4.95 is probably just a ping to make sure your CC account is valid. They won't actually charge you until the coins ship (or are in inventory.)

• Options

I seriously doubt 75k of inventory were sold out within 2 mins. It seems more like 35k or less of initial production run plus back orders that would be ship in May.

Assuming some of the bigger online dealers had a dip in it. The most they would got were a couple thousand units within the time frame. Unless they had special privilege with unblock credit , then may be 4-5 of major online dealers have the purchase power of 5000 units and up. So it it very likely that they purchased around 10k to 20k of total inventory.

Then you have the rest of the dealers who bought 50-100 units. I would said around 100 orders or less. And this would count for another 10k of inventory at most. I would also assume most us/ collectors purchased average of 15 or less (range from 5-20). And the rest of four hundred orders are accounted for . That would be another 6k of units.

In sum, 35k plus 10% back order sounds like a ball park figure.

• Options
    HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BackroadJunkie said:

@tyler267 said:

I just chekced, they did the same to me. The $4.95 is probably just a ping to make sure your CC account is valid. They won't actually charge you until the coins ship (or are in inventory.)

It's to lock your order as shipped so you can not cancel when the remaining 70,000 sets go on sale. B)

" If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • Options

@TurboSnail said:
    I seriously doubt 75k of inventory were sold out within 2 mins. It seems more like 35k or less of initial production run plus back orders that would be ship in May.

Wouldn't they mark the item as sold out on the website? It doesn't say sold out, just that they are out and there might be more later?

Don't quote me on that.

• Options

@dmwest said:

@TurboSnail said:

Wouldn't they mark the item as sold out on the website? It doesn't say sold out, just that they are out and there might be more later?

There will be more as the production continues. 75k limit is only for the congratulation folders in which the mints had ordered from outside source. But not all the folders were filled with coin.

• Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bummer, missed out...

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would not doubt all 75k are ordered. Usually it goes to "backordered" when they do not have enough on hand, then "unavailable" when sold out.

• Options

@jwitten said:
    I would not doubt all 75k are ordered. Usually it goes to "backordered" when they do not have enough on hand, then "unavailable" when sold out.

Now is the time to make quick cash. Sell these now and keep one or two while supply is in demand.

• Options
    edited April 4, 2017 10:56AM

@ECHOES said:
    Bummer, missed out...

Just keep watching this thread....posts will happen when they become available again. Check the Mint page too. They sometimes dribble out the rest in small quantities several times as the folders get coins inserted and boxed for shipment.

• Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kudbegud said:

@ECHOES said:
    Bummer, missed out...

Just keep watching this thread....posts will happen when they become available again. Check the Mint page too. They sometimes dribble out the rest in small quantities several times as the folders get coins inserted and boxed for shipment.

Thanks, will do.

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jwitten said:

That was the old system from years ago...Now they will indicate..SOLD OUT..when they are sold out. Unavailable is the new "back order" status...

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options

@jwitten said:

Yup...sold out takes awhile...not given that designation until all CC are confirmed and hit....

• Options

@OPA said:

@jwitten said:

That was the old system from years ago...Now they will indicate..SOLD OUT..when they are sold out. Unavailable is the new "back order" status...

I believe these hit a brief backorder status though. It takes a few weeks for the mint to make sure they are truly sold out for them to list it as such.

• Options

Well...I believe "currently unavailable" means sold out except for a few CC issues...and this from CoinWeek:

CoinWeek’s call into Michael White at the Office of Corporate Communications at the United States Mint confirmed that the U.S. Mint would no longer accept orders for the Congratulations Set until all current orders are processed. The potential exists that some small number of orders might be cancelled and that the product reserved for unfilled orders would made available again at a future date.

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now comes the hype of the rare S mint marked Silver Eagle bullion coin. Much like the National Parks gold unc. thread. The product limit was 75000. The mintage limit was "none" which I take to mean the mint could make as many as they wanted with other sets. We'll all be driving new Mercedes Benz with this windfall. LOL

• Options

@bolivarshagnasty said:
    Now comes the hype of the rare S mint marked Silver Eagle bullion coin. Much like the National Parks gold unc. thread. The product limit was 75000. The mintage limit was "none" which I take to mean the mint could make as many as they wanted with other sets. We'll all be driving new Mercedes Benz with this windfall. LOL

We already know these S ASE's will be in the Limited Edition Proof Sets later this year. What other configurations could also have one? The Mint won't say until they can get maximum hype. Spin Spin Spin

• Options

Yup, but it has only been announced to be included in one additional set....and I credit them for announcing that in advance...
    Will it be included in more sets? No clue..but it is (was) definitely worth going after it today. Very low downside potential and pretty decent upside.
    The Mercedes reference is a bit out there....it's not sunken treasure. I can't disregard a 200-400% potential

• Options
    alohagaryalohagary Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭✭

I believe that the site limited orders to
    100 only

• Options

Sold all 12 of mine just now. Cha ching!

• Options

@alohagary said:
    100 only

Discussion above re; bulk orders by phone

• Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow! I just ordered 5 of them at the opening bell, just in case they were a sleeper. Guess they are...

• Options

@jwitten said:
    Sold all 12 of mine just now. Cha ching!

What is it they say about a fool and his money?

@alohagary said:
    100 only

I haven't seen any evidence of that restriction.

I believe the Mint underestimated demand and did't have enough ready to go product on hand or not enough folders from the outside provider.

• Options

it's quite the markup for an envelope limited to 75K

(yes, im bitter i was locked out lol)

Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options

@Kudbegud said:

@alohagary said:
    100 only

Try ordering 101 of any item

• Options

@BigA said:

@Kudbegud said:

@alohagary said:
    100 only

Try ordering 101 of any item

I have to admit I have never tried that. I'm not a dealer or flipper so I am probably 100% wrong. Not the first time or the last. But I'm 100% correct in that I have not seen this restriction personally.

• Options

The only reason I am familiar with that 100 limit is when I am trying to figure out when the pucks are on their way to being sold out...enter 100 in the quantity and sometime you will see "only 59 available"...enter 200 and it will say "order limited to 100 items"

• Options

@Kudbegud said:
    I have to admit I have never tried that. I'm not a dealer or flipper so I am probably 100% wrong. Not the first time or the last. But I'm 100% correct in that I have not seen this restriction personally.

It seems to be a very popular thing to do. Since the mint doesn't reserve the product when it's in your shopping cart, you can use it as a way to see how many of an item they still have in inventory if it's less than 100.

The spouse coins come to mind...

• Options

Thanks for imparting the trick. Nice to now know.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file