Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Two 2017 Proof Silver Eagles this year... (Updated. This might be interesting...)

Comments

• Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ThoseBackPages said:
    it's quite the markup for an envelope limited to 75K

(yes, im bitter i was locked out lol)

Not to worry, you can get it in the overpriced LE Silver Set.

(And just in case many haven't figured it out yet, the 2016 LE Silver Set is $140. If they keep the price the same, you'll get the other silver coins with the ASE for what it's going on ebay...)

I need to see the coins up close and decide if they're going to get sent in. All my other special ASE's are in slabs, this issue might qualify...

• Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭

Except there will be two PF ASE's in this set..thus the about $200 price prediction

..and...haven't figured out whether it needs to be an unopened box for submission or not

• Options

@BigA said:
    Except there will be two PF ASE's in this set..thus the about $200 price prediction

Has the mint confirmed this? I haven't seen any announcement from the mint on the LE set, other than the S-mint ASE.

..and...haven't figured out whether it needs to be an unopened box for submission or not

Probably not. It's the only set that contains the coin right now, and the packaging is pretty much tamper proof, so long as you don't remove the coin/capsule from the OGP. (At least it's that way on the Kennedy set.) I'll bet the TPG's hate having to get stuff in sealed boxes... :)

• Options
    edited April 4, 2017 12:32PM

Well the LE set contains all the proof (silver et al) coins issued in a single year. The W and S would be in the set. I did see someting that confirmed that but I can't find it right now

It would be great to preview the coins before submission..hope thta is the plan

• Options

@BigA said:
    Well...I believe "currently unavailable" means sold out except for a few CC issues...and this from CoinWeek:

CoinWeek’s call into Michael White at the Office of Corporate Communications at the United States Mint confirmed that the U.S. Mint would no longer accept orders for the Congratulations Set until all current orders are processed. The potential exists that some small number of orders might be cancelled and that the product reserved for unfilled orders would made available again at a future date.

Impressive.

I checked, the 2015 APE sold out in something like 6 minutes, so this might have been the fastest sell out of a product. Shoulda ordered more.... :smiley:

No special instructions from either TPG, but there will be a special label from both for the coin.

• Options
    edited April 4, 2017 12:43PM

I saw links SOMEWHERE (I thought here) but I can't find them...ATS says "submit Congrats sets" so I would asume opend box original packaging

I think the HH limits prolong the sold out a bit. With no HH limits this was toast right from the get go

• Options
    dmwestdmwest Posts: 957 ✭✭✭✭

"..... PCGS confirms that special Congratulations Set provenance labels will be available for 2017-S Proofs upon request. The 30-day "First Strike" policy will also be in place upon the coin's release on April 4."

Does this mean when submitting you request that on the form, maybe it's available via the electronic form already? When sending the coin in, do you leave it in the original packaging?

Don't quote me on that.

• Options

@dmwest said:

Does this mean when submitting you request that on the form, maybe it's available via the electronic form already? When sending the coin in, do you leave it in the original packaging?

Yes, it's already available in the online submission form at PCGS.

Don't quote me on that.

• Options
    edited April 4, 2017 1:19PM

Order status n=just switched from "processing" to "backorder"

Crap...clueless Mint probably had 2000 ready and now have to come up with 73000 more

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

What I can't get my head around is that this issue sold out at 75,000 units, plus what they will put in the other sets. This makes this rare and worthy of a premium? While back at the mint, the WLH Centennial of which they will make only 70k has not sold out yet and still available. Are we talking about the difference in demand between the two products? Clearly the WLH is a more aesthetically pleasing piece, albeit multiple times the cost compared to the ASE. The cost has driven down demand?

• Options
    Paulyaces76Paulyaces76 Posts: 294 ✭✭

Well, I just got done chatting on the mint site and she said the only info they have on the 2017 Limited Proof Set is it WILL have the S in it. I asked her if the 2 different W and S will come in the set and she said most likely no. But, the only info she received was a yes on the S! Why would that be the only info given out? Just wondering why they feel they should tell their CSR that one piece of info?

• Options
    Paulyaces76Paulyaces76 Posts: 294 ✭✭

@BigA said:
    Order status n=just switched from "processing" to "backorder"

Crap...clueless Mint probably had 2000 ready and now have to come up with 73000 more

This is why I wouldn't sell anything yet. I got in fairly early, but what if the guy who ordered 60,000 of them is right before me. I think people are a little ballsy selling their sets on ebay and that processing turns to backorder and you have to give a crap ton of refunds!

• Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bolivarshagnasty said:
    What I can't get my head around is that this issue sold out at 75,000 units, plus what they will put in the other sets. This makes this rare and worthy of a premium? While back at the mint, the WLH Centennial of which they will make only 70k has not sold out yet and still available. Are we talking about the difference in demand between the two products? Clearly the WLH is a more aesthetically pleasing piece, albeit multiple times the cost compared to the ASE. The cost has driven down demand?

Many, many, many more people collect the ASE and need this for their album to keep it current. This was a no brainer with information available today. This is going to be a very low mintage for any ASE. Unless they put it in more than just the proof set and maybe put it up solo this is a big winner coin

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 4, 2017 2:07PM

@bolivarshagnasty said:
    What I can't get my head around is that this issue sold out at 75,000 units.......

Edited to remove bad info

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kudbegud said:

@bolivarshagnasty said:
    What I can't get my head around is that this issue sold out at 75,000 units.......

It hasn't sold out yet

Multiple people on page three of this thread indicated that they couldn't buy them anymore. Has that changed this afternoon?

• Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

Super low mintage. Confirm with pcgs before purchasing.

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bolivarshagnasty said:

Look at the price difference. A lot more people can collect silver eagles than gold, and a lot more can afford a $55 dollar coin than one that is almost a grand.

• Options

@bolivarshagnasty said:
    Multiple people on page three of this thread indicated that they couldn't buy them anymore. Has that changed this afternoon?

Sorry, I jumped too quickly. Snipped from chat with the mint moments ago:

• Options
    thevolcanogodthevolcanogod Posts: 270 ✭✭✭

All of the current mint issues go unavailable first then there is a small wave of the holdback sets at some point in the not-too-distant future that come up as they release the sets from bad credit card info orders. Hint: keep refreshing the page around 6-7am tomorrow if it's worth it to you - that's usually the time the small wave hits.

Then several weeks from now the status will officially change from unavailable to sold out.

They may not be officially "sold out" right now but unless you're really lucky and catch the small wave tomorrow or another day this week, I wouldn't expect these back in any regular quantity. If you want this best to buy now while the weak sisters are falling or plan on waiting for the LE set.

• Options
    TurboSnailTurboSnail Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 4, 2017 2:22PM

@bolivarshagnasty said:

There must be a reason, that dealers are selling graded ASE bullion 2016 & 2017 for $30-$40 by the thousands. And there are trains loaded of people buying them each day.

May be this a wake up call for some of the collectors who still believe coin collecting is dying. Lot of newer generation like to collect modern coins at top quality and affordable pricing.

• Options
    edgaredgar Posts: 886 ✭✭✭✭

@ from CoinWeek:

CoinWeek’s call into Michael White at the Office of Corporate Communications at the United States Mint confirmed that the U.S. Mint would no longer accept orders for the Congratulations Set until all current orders are processed. The potential exists that some small number of orders might be cancelled and that the product reserved for unfilled orders would made available again at a future date.

So now we have to get up early to monitor the mint website for these AND Dan's site for 2017 Owls.... many sleepy-heads in the days to come!

(l8-)>>

• Options
    edgaredgar Posts: 886 ✭✭✭✭

Order 0498539x at 12:02

(l8-)>>

• Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

Totally missed this one, guess I haven't been paying close enough attention to the Forum. Congrats to all who received this gift from the mint this morning!

Also, you used to be able to add more than 100 items in an order. It would only let you add 100 to your cart initially, but then once you were in your cart you could edit the amount to anything you wanted. Not sure if that works anymore.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

I so glad that I am not hooked on collecting this dreck. It's just nothing but another way to lay flypaper for collectors and give the flippers another profit item care of the U.S. government.

I started a set of ASE a couple of times and lost interest. The things are just sterile lumps of silver with an attractive obverse copied from a 20th century classic design.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

No...

"Your quantity has been reduced to 100, due to product limit within single purchase."

• Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember when I called mike white several times to inquire about coins.

The good old days.. I once called the distribution center and got 6 2006 gold anniversary sets that they just happened to find laying around in inventory a few weeks after they sold out. Sold them for over 10k profit.

I am at the Masters in Augusta and had to leave the grounds to place the orders. They wouldn't let me take a phone in :(

• Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭✭✭

I tried at noon central time and was 58 minutes late. Wow! I just wanted one for my collection. If anyone doesn't want all the ones they ordered and wants to sell one at the issue price, I'll pay for the shipping to get it to me ;) Just PM me :p

• Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭

Missed this one even though I had this marked on my calendar. Oh well.

• Options
    TurboSnailTurboSnail Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 4, 2017 5:25PM

ok one of the major online dealers on ebay "Bullion Exchanges" has listed the price of PR 69 for $119.99 and PR 70 for $191.99. It looks like this dealer bought a few thousand units. Congrat to all sellers that sold the coins around $150 earlier this afternoon.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PRESALE-2017-S-1-oz-Proof-Silver-American-Eagle-PCGS-PF-70-DCAM-First-Strike-/162456627819?hash=item25d32b6a6b:g:S~4AAOSww3tY4qYD

• Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

So how is it they have a imaged slab with title and all that on Ebay of PR70DCAM dollars right now? This can't be possible at this point in the game. Some people really like to jump before the bell don't they.

@TurboSnail said:
    ok one of the major online dealers on ebay "Bullion Exchanges" has listed the price of PR 69 for $119.99 and PR 70 for $191.99. It looks like this dealer bought a few thousand units. Congrat to all sellers that sold the coins around $150 earlier this afternoon.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PRESALE-2017-S-1-oz-Proof-Silver-American-Eagle-PCGS-PF-70-DCAM-First-Strike-/162456627819?hash=item25d32b6a6b:g:S~4AAOSww3tY4qYD

• Options

So, this morning I got an email confirming my order and the mint charged my credit card for the full amount, however when I checked this evening it now says the order is backordered and that I was charged just the $4.95...I called the mint but they didn't really have any good answer as to why the change...I'm confused, did I get 1 of the 75,000 or did I not? Is it that they had only minted 25,000 and I have to wait until they produce the other 50,000? The mint was not clear.....

Don't quote me on that.

• Options
    edited April 4, 2017 7:58PM

@Batman23 said:
    So how is it they have a imaged slab with title and all that on Ebay of PR70DCAM dollars right now? This can't be possible at this point in the game. Some people really like to jump before the bell don't they.

@TurboSnail said:

Photoshop is magic.

Notice no serial number.....cuz it is a fake label. Or it would have a number you can verify on PCGS.

• Options

@dmwest said:
    So, this morning I got an email confirming my order and the mint charged my credit card for the full amount, however when I checked this evening it now says the order is backordered and that I was charged just the $4.95...I called the mint but they didn't really have any good answer as to why the change...I'm confused, did I get 1 of the 75,000 or did I not? Is it that they had only minted 25,000 and I have to wait until they produce the other 50,000? The mint was not clear.....

It is showing that for me, and someone else has reported that too. I think we are ok, it is just not shipped yet.

• Options
    edited April 4, 2017 8:13PM

@dmwest said:

Your card was pinged, but you won't be charged the full amount until the product is shipped.

It looks like quite a few got their orders backordered. No reason given, but I wonder if they couldn't ship by tomorrow, the shipments were backordered until the gold issue goes out on Thursday...

My first order is still in "process", my second order is backordered.

Edited because I can't read. :-)

• Options

@Batman23 said:

@TurboSnail said:

If it was real, it probably would have had the San Francisco special label.

• Options

Mine still says processing not backorder, I got the confirmation email and the full amount has been charged to my card. Looks like I got in early and by that I mean the first few seconds lol

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most of the BIN's are $109. One BIN just went for $140 because he said 'HOT' in the title.

Must say 'HOT' in title. :)

• Options

Fastest Mint sell out ever?

On Coin World site:
    coinworld.com/news/us-coins/2017/04/2017-congratulations-set-sells-out-in-two-minutes.html

The U.S. Mint April 4 ended sales of the limited-edition 2017 Congratulations set within two minutes of its becoming available, triggering a backlash from disgruntled collectors shut out from obtaining one of the 75,000 sets.

The sets went on sale at noon Eastern Time without any household ordering restrictions. Sufficient orders were placed almost immediately to exhaust the maximum mintage, according to the Mint, which, as of late afternoon April 4, had not yet declared the set a “sellout.”

“Less than 3 minutes and sold out,” Bonke wrote via email. “Canceled by the Mint at 3 minutes. I’m through with the U.S. Mint.

• Options
    edited April 4, 2017 10:26PM

Lowest "Buy It Now" on Ebay right now = $77.05 w/ free shipping. Seems a little low but good on them for not maxing out.
    ebay.com/itm/2013-United-States-Mint-Congratulations-Set-N17-/401303298386?hash=item5d6f8a6152:g:zlkAAOSwhQhY5DMO
    Most completed sales between $120 & $160

• Options

@Kudbegud said:
    Lowest "Buy It Now" on Ebay right now = $77.05 w/ free shipping. Seems a little low but good on them for not maxing out.
    ebay.com/itm/2013-United-States-Mint-Congratulations-Set-N17-/401303298386?hash=item5d6f8a6152:g:zlkAAOSwhQhY5DMO

That's a 2013 set

The more you VAM..
  • Options

@CascadeChris said:

@Kudbegud said:

That's a 2013 set

Oh crap, you are right. My BIG bad. Sorry

• Options

@Kudbegud said:

@CascadeChris said:

@Kudbegud said:

That's a 2013 set

And now those are sold out. Wonder if you tricked some people into buying them, lol

• Options

@jwitten said:

@Kudbegud said:

@CascadeChris said:

@Kudbegud said:

That's a 2013 set

And now those are sold out. Wonder if you tricked some people into buying them, lol

That would not be good. Hopefully every one READS the description better than I did. I just saw the price between several 2017-S listings. Really embarrassing.

• Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,179 ✭✭✭✭✭

Got 3 49854XX

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • Options

My second order flipped from backordered to processing. And my CC was charged.

Still no tracking number for order number one...

• Options

@Kudbegud said:
    Fastest Mint sell out ever?

Yeah, I checked the 2015 APE and the 2016 American Liberty silver medals, and both sold out in about 6 minutes, so yes, this issue in 2-3 minutes may be the winner! ;)

We should probably get used to it. There were no slowdowns anywhere in the system (address and CC lookups), and throughput seemed to be quick for everyone. If they've solved all their bottlenecks, then every issued that's going to sell out on day one will do so faster.

• Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭

Snagged 5 this morning at exactly 7 30 AM. One order of one and one order of 4. I was going after three more but at 7:34 it was no longer available.

• Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 5, 2017 4:59AM

@thevolcanogod said:
    All of the current mint issues go unavailable first then there is a small wave of the holdback sets at some point in the not-too-distant future that come up as they release the sets from bad credit card info orders. ____****Hint: keep refreshing the page around 6-7am tomorrow if it's worth it to you - that's usually the time the small wave hits. ****____

Then several weeks from now the status will officially change from unavailable to sold out.

They may not be officially "sold out" right now but unless you're really lucky and catch the small wave tomorrow or another day this week, I wouldn't expect these back in any regular quantity. If you want this best to buy now while the weak sisters are falling or plan on waiting for the LE set.

****He was right, 6:33 am status changed to backorder, I was able to order one set.****

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options

Channel surfing last night and the coin vault had a "philly" 2017 ASE NGC "1 of 75,389" PR69DCAM .. for $399.99..not sure if same or different

• Options

@pf70collector said:
    Snagged 5 this morning at exactly 7 30 AM. One order of one and one order of 4. I was going after three more but at 7:34 it was no longer available.

Cool. Glad you were able to snag a few.

If the mint is piecemealing the sets like that, then they really must have moved all 75K. Are your orders backordered?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file