Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Two 2017 Proof Silver Eagles this year... (Updated. This might be interesting...)

BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 30, 2017 12:36AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Perhaps a major update here. (Three posts down.)

No mention of this anywhere here. There will be two proof silver eagles this year.

The W-Mint proof silver eagle went on sale March 23:

American Eagle 2017 One Ounce Silver Proof Coin

Sold a respectable 233K the first four days of sale:

17EA 2017 AM EAGLE SILVER PROOF 1 OZ 233010 3/26/2017

On April 4, the 2017 Congratulations Set goes on sale with an S-Mint proof silver eagle:

Congratulations Set 2017 (17RF)

Item Number: 17RF
Mintage Limit: None
Product Limit: None
Household Order Limit: None
$54.95, on sale noon April 4.

New for 2017 – set contains the 2017 American Eagle One Ounce Silver Proof Coin bearing the “S” mint mark from the San Francisco Mint

$1 more than the regular proof, but still $35 above silver spot. Well, maybe I'll order a couple anyway...

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is different.... Both S and W proofs.... I wonder if this will now happen each year....I will probably get an S proof anyway... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭

Interesting....no mintage limit is a bummer but still interesting

• Options

@BackroadJunkie said:
    On April 4, the 2017 Congratulations Set goes on sale with an S-Mint proof silver eagle:

New for 2017 – set contains the 2017 American Eagle One Ounce Silver Proof Coin bearing the “S” mint mark from the San Francisco Mint

$1 more than the regular proof, but still $35 above silver spot. Well, maybe I'll order a couple anyway...

UPDATE:

The Mint updated the product limit for the Congrat set to 75K, but the Mint also announced they are including the S-mint ASE in the 2017 Limited Edition Silver Set.

Should the LE Silver set be limited to 50K like the 2016 version, then the 2017-S ASE will have a mintage of 125K, less than half of the 280K mintage of the 2012-S ASE, the only other S-Mint ASE...

• Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 30, 2017 3:48AM

Thanks for heads up
    Looks like they made a change on the Product limit

Product Limit: 75,000
    Household Order Limit: Non

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the "heads-up."

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    UnclePennyBagsUnclePennyBags Posts: 327 ✭✭✭

@BackroadJunkie said:

@BackroadJunkie said:

UPDATE:

The Mint updated the product limit for the Congrat set to 75K, but the Mint also announced they are including the S-mint ASE in the 2017 Limited Edition Silver Set.

Should the LE Silver set be limited to 50K like the 2016 version, then the 2017-S ASE will have a mintage of 125K, less than half of the 280K mintage of the 2012-S ASE, the only other S-Mint ASE...

I believe 2011 was the only other S Mint .... It came in the 25th anniversary set

Successful trades.... MichaelDixon,

• Options
    edited March 30, 2017 6:24AM

2012 had a 2 coin San Fran set that included a S proof and S RP

2011 S was a burnished

• Options

@UnclePennyBags said:
    I believe 2011 was the only other S Mint .... It came in the 25th anniversary set

I should have made it more clear I was talking about the S-Proof, not the 2011 uncirc or 2012 RP...

I should also add that should the mint keep the mintage of 125K, the 2017 S Proof would be the lowest ASE proof mintage. Other than that stupid 1995W...

(Yeah, I know, they're all just 1ozt slug of silver. But they're pretty, shiny 1ozt slugs of silver...)

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pre-94 ASEs with "S" mint.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the info, I will > @UnclePennyBags said:

@BackroadJunkie said:

@BackroadJunkie said:

UPDATE:

What's the market like on the 25th ann set?

Thanks for the information on the upcoming S mint releases.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭

@BackroadJunkie said:
    Perhaps a major update here. (Three posts down.)

No mention of this anywhere here. There will be two proof silver eagles this year.

The W-Mint proof silver eagle went on sale March 23:

American Eagle 2017 One Ounce Silver Proof Coin

Sold a respectable 233K the first four days of sale:

17EA 2017 AM EAGLE SILVER PROOF 1 OZ 233010 3/26/2017

Thanks for the Heads Up!

This is why I hang around here.

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭

@BackroadJunkie said:

@BackroadJunkie said:

UPDATE:

Of course, this is "provided" they get around to releasing a 2017 Limited Edition Set.

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    TurboSnailTurboSnail Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks, I think this may be only coin worth buying this year. Don't get me wrong I would still buy the regular silver proof sets too. But they are so not worth it. As for the gold.. too expensive for my taste.

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the heads up. Think it will be a quick sale out? How many are people planning on buying?

• Options

@jwitten said:
    Thanks for the heads up. Think it will be a quick sale out? How many are people planning on buying?

Dunno. I've scanned a couple of other blogs, and this seems to be flying under everyone's radar. Everyone else is focusing on the American Liberty release and the possible silver medals for the WWI commem next year.

I was only going to order one or two (with the W-Mint proof), but that was before they announced product limits. The congrat set is going to be the cheap option, since the LE Silver Set always has a high premium on it.

If other blogs catch on, it might be a fast sellout. The 2012-S ASE set sold around 80K the first day, if that's any indication. This ASE could be the yearly "gift" the mint grants us peons from time to time....

• Options

I'm thinking I might try to get 10 or so.

• Options

I will predict a last minute HH limit of 5 will be put in place

• Options

@BigA said:
    I will predict a last minute HH limit of 5 will be put in place

I have a feeling something like that will happen too. So far it has been pretty quiet about them though.

• Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mintage 75k, no household limit! This thing will be gone in half an hour.

Did the "big boys" already buy up half the stock or am I just being conspirital?

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

I figure the mint will pull a fast one and make more of thee somewhere else.

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good catch Backroad. Setting alarm right now for 5:30 am, Tuesday

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll pass as I have been frustrated by the mint in the past. Life is not worth pandering to these idiots.

if i ever want another recent mint product, I'll simply buy it on the secondary market. And most of the time it will be for less money with none of the drama.

Maybe the new administration can make the mint more collector/customer friendly with 21st century ordering processes.

Sorry to be so blunt, but if you want change you have to be blunt.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 2012-S proof, even with a low mintage of 280k, is available at common-date prices in the Coin and Currency Set. Maybe the 2017-S will do better, but there seems to be considerably less collector interest in the one-off proofs than in those that are part of the annual sets.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    2manycoins2fewfunds2manycoins2fewfunds Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭

I'm waiting til next year when they are going to have a mobile press that they will set up in Walmart parking lots in New Orleans, Charlotte and Carson City to mint silver eagles.

• Options
    2manycoins2fewfunds2manycoins2fewfunds Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭

One other thing...........I would be surprised if that 2017-s was only available in the graduation version..

I expect there will be some other needless set of silver eagles later in the year with it included.....

• Options

@2manycoins2fewfunds said:
    One other thing...........I would be surprised if that 2017-s was only available in the graduation version..

I expect there will be some other needless set of silver eagles later in the year with it included.....

It was mentioned above that the S will be in the Limited Edition Silver Set.....if it gets made later in the year.

• Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Limited Edition Silver Proof Set will likely be made this year. The 2015 was scrapped because of legislation that, according to some interpretations, did not permit Mint sales of 2015 silver eagles beyond the end of that year.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    SONOMOSCASONOMOSCA Posts: 401 ✭✭✭

Can someone tell me if this Silver Eagle will be in a capsule inside the folder?
    Can't tell from the Mints description and I've never purchased a Congratulations set before.
    TIA

BST transactions - Wondercoin, SNMAN , Mb423, Timbuk3
  • Options
    edited April 3, 2017 2:25PM

Foldered offerings from the mint usually have the coins encapsulated. At least all that I can remember. Folders are a relatively new product from the mint. Maybe someone can remember the first time it was offered.

• Options
    TurboSnailTurboSnail Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kudbegud said:
    Foldered offerings from the mint usually have the coins encapsulated. At least all that I can remember. Folders are a relatively new product from the mint. Maybe someone can remember the first time it was offered

Could it be the 2000 millennium set?

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 3, 2017 6:45PM

Any guesses on a quick sellout? If mintage limit is none and the product limit for this coin in this packaging is 75,000, that would certainly indicate the coin may reappear later in the year with the LE set.

I may buy 5 of these just to see where things wind up, but I'm wondering if this offering has the hallmarks of a potential home run or just a single.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

Still no HHL's, and goes on sale today at noon. Rev up those browsers! (Last time it was for what, the AL Medals? The Plat proof? It's been a while...)

@kiyote said:
    Did the "big boys" already buy up half the stock or am I just being conspirital?

I'll let you know at 12;05...

• Options

@SONOMOSCA said:
    Can someone tell me if this Silver Eagle will be in a capsule inside the folder?
    Can't tell from the Mints description and I've never purchased a Congratulations set before.
    TIA

The only carded set I have (in this form factor), was the clad Kennedy Halves, and those came in a capsule.

@Kudbegud said:
    Good catch Backroad. Setting alarm right now for 5:30 am, Tuesday

lol. I was wondering if I was the only one who sets an alarm...

• Options

@grote15 said:
    Any guesses on a quick sellout? If mintage limit is none and the product limit for this coin in this packaging is 75,000, that would certainly indicate the coin may reappear later in the year with the LE set.

Well, since the mint announced the coin will be in the LE Silver set, it's probably a better bet than "may reappear". :smile: The caveat to that, is we don't know the product limit on the LE set. If the demand is really, really strong for the Congrats set, well, we all know what the mint is capable of.

I may buy 5 of these just to see where things wind up, but I'm wondering if this offering has the hallmarks of a potential home run or just a single.

At the potential of 125K mintage, it probably won't be a home run, but it might be a double or a triple. You may want to look at the 2011 set for guidance.

I'm thinking two boxes of 5, if I can. Since the Mint is saving me $1700 by making the AmLib a non-issue for me, it makes the entry price of $55 a pop a little easier. Gosh, sounds like I budget like the government. BWAhahahaha... (No, I really don't.)

My only worry is the mint stops sales short, only for the sales to resume with a HHL on it.

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 4, 2017 4:51AM

@SONOMOSCA said:
    TIA

Per the Mint's description

"The coin is encapsulated in the folder, and the obverse (heads) and reverse (tails) of the coin can be seen in the folder."

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    SONOMOSCASONOMOSCA Posts: 401 ✭✭✭

@OPA said:

@SONOMOSCA said:
    TIA

Per the Mint's description

"The coin is encapsulated in the folder, and the obverse (heads) and reverse (tails) of the coin can be seen in the folder."

I read that, I was just over thinking it because it sounded like the coin is being encapsulated by the
    plastic in between the folder if that makes any sense. I guess I used up my one stupid question for
    the year! We are allowed one... right? lol

BST transactions - Wondercoin, SNMAN , Mb423, Timbuk3
  • Options

@BackroadJunkie said:

@grote15 said:

Well, since the mint announced the coin will be in the LE Silver set, it's probably a better bet than "may reappear". :smile: The caveat to that, is we don't know the product limit on the LE set. If the demand is really, really strong for the Congrats set, well, we all know what the mint is capable of.

At the potential of 125K mintage, it probably won't be a home run, but it might be a double or a triple. You may want to look at the 2011 set for guidance.

I'm thinking two boxes of 5, if I can. Since the Mint is saving me $1700 by making the AmLib a non-issue for me, it makes the entry price of $55 a pop a little easier. Gosh, sounds like I budget like the government. BWAhahahaha... (No, I really don't.)

My only worry is the mint stops sales short, only for the sales to resume with a HHL on it.

Anything that doubles or triples is a home run in my opinion, especially with no household limit. So basically, invest as much money into it as you want, and possibly double it. I think I will be in for at least 10 as well.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll wait and buy the spotted variety in the aftermarket.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options

Almost go time

• Options
    hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

Somebody posted no line at mint store.

• Options
    Paulyaces76Paulyaces76 Posts: 294 ✭✭

A little too easy

• Options
    NotSureNotSure Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭

Easy peasy

I'll come up with something.
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

4985xxx, :01

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

Too easy.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    edited April 4, 2017 9:04AM

In and out no hitch at all
    USM049852XX

Yes Backroad, I set my alarm even though I usually awake before it goes off. I don't want to chance falling back asleep. It is just now 6:03 am.

• Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

and done

• Options

12 ordered. Order number USM049852XX

• Options
    coinkid855coinkid855 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭

Backordered already.

• Options

That was easy. Less than a minute.

USM049850xx
    USM049852xx

Interesting that over two hundred orders were submitted in less than 10 seconds...

Now, Smartpost. sigh...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file