Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Two 2017 Proof Silver Eagles this year... (Updated. This might be interesting...)

Comments

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

Paulyaces76
    You can verify straight from the horses mouth by calling Customer Service 1-800-447-8848 and press 2 after the automated attendant answers.

• Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BigA said:
    Hmmm...the Mint has not updated their weekly sales report. I was curious to see just how many 2017-S would be listed as being sold..

Michael white will update this information next week according to the floor manager I spoke to earlier in the week.

• Options

@Paulyaces76 said:

@jessewvu said:
    It will definitely not be FS eligible.

Wait, but in 2012 the S proof eagle got FS in the 2 coin 75th San Fran set and then the Coin and Currency Set came out a month or two later and there were still FS labels. I think you have to make sure on this, for if I remember both sets in 2012 did not come out the same month!

Was the difference the set designation on the label? I forgot about that detail. I haven't been doing much with coins lately. Last year was the first year in over a decade I didn't buy any mint coins or send any to PCGS.

• Options

@Kudbegud said:
    Paulyaces76
    You can verify straight from the horses mouth by calling Customer Service 1-800-447-8848 and press 2 after the automated attendant answers.

I just got off the phone and she said yes they will both be first strike designated!

• Options

Oh boy. Registry collectors unite!

• Options

@Cakes said:

@7Jaguars said:
    Wow, that serves to show what BS the whole FS business really is, not to mention the fact that numismatically it is meaningless.

FS is the biggest scam I have seen in years, it's absolutely disgusting!

It could be legit and actually be useful. The Mint would have to innovate and do something new and exciting so don't hold your breath.

Die pairs have a life span base on many factors and vary by denomination, composition, proof or business strikes etc. A certain percentage could be considered actual first strikes with each die pair. For the sake of this post I'll say 50 is the number.

These 50 are kept separate from all production from that die pair and handled carefully. Packaged with a certificate attesting to their first strike status and randomly inserted in the fulfillment stream so everyone has an equal chance of getting one. Undetectable from the outside of the packaging. Done for each die pair. What a nice surprise to open your new mint coin and find the actual first strike certificate inside. The name would have to be something other than first strike as that is trade marked. A contest to name the designation maybe?

I can see a lot of resistance to this, not the least of which would come from the TPG's. The Mint might complain about the extra work and security that would be needed. However I can see a boost in direct mint purchases and an invigorated enthusiasm from the collector community.

This program would be for collector type single coins, not Proof or uncirculated sets, and not general business strikes.

Let the neigh saying begin.

• Options
    SONOMOSCASONOMOSCA Posts: 401 ✭✭✭

@Kudbegud - I like the concept, but I just don't see the Mint going the extra mile. I think they would
    get a rush of people ordering and the ones that don't receive one will send them right back. Shipping
    companies would benefit though. B)

BST transactions - Wondercoin, SNMAN , Mb423, Timbuk3
  • Options

SONOMOSCA
    I didn't think of that. Kinda like the guy who buys a giant screen TV right before the Super Bowl and returns it on Monday morning after the game.

Not sure how many would go that route but there are always a few.

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

I talked to the real mint people recently and was told the entire 75,000 sold out in 8 minutes and dealers soaked up most of the sets.

Now that makes sense...With less than 6,000 total orders, the majority of the coins were accumulated by the big boys. Your 70 FS pop will out of this world and should come down in price.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    tyler267tyler267 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭✭

"I talked to the real mint people recently and was told the entire 75,000 sold out in 8 minutes and dealers soaked up most of the sets."

If most of the dealer sets wind up with the TV Dealers, does that mean that the coins will be sold to casual collectors and dispersed outside the numismatic market?

If so what does that mean for prices, short term and long term? I'm not a dealer or flipper, I have two small orders that are back ordered, I'm just curious and watching this for education and entertainment reasons. Thanks in advance for your replies.

• Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭

I would think that if most of the sets were in the hands of the TV types and they will sell at stupid prices this would increase the price of the remaining few in the hands of Joe Normal

• Options
    MrSmithMrSmith Posts: 49 ✭✭

@Kudbegud said:

It could be legit and actually be useful. The Mint would have to innovate and do something new and exciting so don't hold your breath.

Die pairs have a life span base on many factors and vary by denomination, composition, proof or business strikes etc. A certain percentage could be considered actual first strikes with each die pair. For the sake of this post I'll say 50 is the number.

These 50 are kept separate from all production from that die pair and handled carefully. Packaged with a certificate attesting to their first strike status and randomly inserted in the fulfillment stream so everyone has an equal chance of getting one. Undetectable from the outside of the packaging. Done for each die pair. What a nice surprise to open your new mint coin and find the actual first strike certificate inside.

I can't see that working unless the COA was sealed in some kind of slab with the coin. I'm sure someone would start counterfeiting COA's and sell them on EB for this one.

Nice idea though.

• Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, I just got my two sets today. They are pretty nice looking dollars. With the going prices I put one on the Bay real quick; BIN at $150 and sold within minutes. Got the feeling I may have left money on the table, but it will balance out so I get to keep one basically for free so that works out for me. Now I'm kicking myself for not buying 10, or 50 or even a 100 of these sets! Just wow on the money that could have been made here!

• Options
    dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭

@Batman23 said:
    Well, I just got my two sets today. They are pretty nice looking dollars. With the going prices I put one on the Bay real quick; BIN at $150 and sold within minutes. Got the feeling I may have left money on the table, but it will balance out so I get to keep one basically for free so that works out for me. Now I'm kicking myself for not buying 10, or 50 or even a 100 of these sets! Just wow on the money that could have been made here!

I think you did good unloading your spare when you did, see link below

http://www.coinworld.com/news/us-coins/2017/04/second-sales-round-possible-for-congratulation-set.html

Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

Actually I hope they find another "set" to put these into. Even though people will always cheat, a two set maximum might have gotten these distributed a bit more widely

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    SONOMOSCASONOMOSCA Posts: 401 ✭✭✭

@dtkk49a - The article basically says the set might go on sale again. To sell the ones they have due to
    returns and cancelled order. And if the number isn't high enough they might not sell them again.
    Only thing I see is a possible lower sales number...that's a win! Mintage stays the same, just amount sold changes.

BST transactions - Wondercoin, SNMAN , Mb423, Timbuk3
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭
    edited April 17, 2017 10:22AM

Coin Vault is actually selling the NGC PF 70s for $199. They probably bought a lot.

• Options

@pf70collector said:
    Coin Vault is actually selling the NGC PF 70s for $199. The probably bought a lot.

Looks like for now they have 116 of them and those will sell fast. I am shocked they are that low on there!

• Options

How easy is t to get capsules out of package and coins out of capsules?

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Paulyaces76 said:

@pf70collector said:
    Coin Vault is actually selling the NGC PF 70s for $199. The probably bought a lot.

Looks like for now they have 116 of them and those will sell fast. I am shocked they are that low on there!

114 now.... B)

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone have any updates on the backordered sales? I bought 12 and have a low order number, but still shows as backordered. Are most people's already shipped?

• Options

USM049850xx shipped

USM049854xx backordered

Where are you in the mix?

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,402 ✭✭✭✭✭

I forgot to sit on the website with a hair trigger, so I didn't order one of these. Nor will I.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sent 8 of my 10 ATS today. We'll see if I still suck at grading like always...

And it looks like I'm eligible for the free Red Book offer, as well! Glad I procrastinated. :smiley:

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jessewvu said:
    USM049850xx shipped

USM049854xx backordered

USM049852xx

• Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jwitten said:

@jessewvu said:
    USM049850xx shipped

USM049854xx backordered

USM049852xx

The mint "system" can be so screwy. My order of 853xx never went backorder and arrived last week.

Is there a difference in time between the order number being generated and the order being finalized? Or is it all done at the same time when you click "are you really, really sure you want to place order"?

• Options

@dtkk49a said:

@Batman23 said:

I think you did good unloading your spare when you did, see link below

http://www.coinworld.com/news/us-coins/2017/04/second-sales-round-possible-for-congratulation-set.html

I think there have already been a couple of 7:30am sales. (I know there's been at least one.)

Maybe we'll get some insight if the Mint actually releases sales numbers tomorrow.

• Options

@BackroadJunkie said:

@dtkk49a said:

@Batman23 said:

Maybe we'll get some insight if the Mint actually releases sales numbers tomorrow.

Insight into that black hole ?

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

Denver????

• Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice. Reverse pic? I'd like to see this San Francisco/Denver thingy going on here. ;-)

• Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jwitten said:

@jessewvu said:
    USM049850xx shipped

USM049854xx backordered

USM049852xx

Same with jwitten..

• Options

@Bullsitter said:
    Denver????

Yes. It's going to be the next big thing. They take the dies from one mint, do several strikes at another mint before returning the dies... (And just in case you actually believe me, no they're not.)

Is that a real label, or another SPT? (Stupid Photoshop Trick. I do them all the time.)

I know I read someplace that both TPG's were doing special SF Congrat labels, but it's not listed on our host's website (under special labels). The guys ATS show a label, but they won't have the labels themselves until tomorrow. They even state if you need the coins sooner, to request a non-special label.

The Mint pretty much caught everyone off guard. While I don't like the catalog being piecemealed out, they were able to keep this pretty much in the background until a week before sales...

• Options
    Paulyaces76Paulyaces76 Posts: 294 ✭✭
    edited April 18, 2017 8:34AM

ATS my grades were (9) 70/(10) 69/1 scratched? When I had looked at them lol

• Options
    KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭

Order 049856xx hit credit card at 12:01:40. It' s hard to imagine the volume of orders that were placed in that brief period of time they were up.

• Options

Backorders being shipped....got my tracking number....whew!

• Options

order #?

• Options
    tyler267tyler267 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭✭

@jessewvu said:
    order #?

I got the tracking number email also.

USM049852XX
    USM049858XX

• Options
    edited April 18, 2017 2:48PM

@jessewvu said:
    order #?

@jessewvu said:
    Xxxx854xx
    Xxxx850xx

Both still processing...

My 49852xx is right between those numbers and is backordered (??)>

Now shipped ...well..label created

• Options

Numbers from the mint:

4/16/2017...2017 CONGRATULATIONS SET...74497

There are still roughly 500 sets available, which will probably be reserved for returns until the currently backordered units ship and are ineligible for returns. Probably two-three weeks from now.

So there's a small chance these will go on sale again to sell the last 500...

• Options

USM049854xx still backordered.

Do you all think the backordered sets are actually included in those numbers?

• Options
    dmwestdmwest Posts: 947 ✭✭✭✭

@jessewvu said:
    USM049854xx still backordered.

US
    049855xx still backordered.

Don't quote me on that.

• Options

@jessewvu said:

Yes.

• Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 18, 2017 3:13PM

I'll be mine are shipped (Smart Post) so I should see them by cinco de mayo. May be I'll leave them unopened for PCGS show in Philadelphia.
    It would be nice if I would get a Phliadelphia 1st Strike label.
    4985xx

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • Options

@Twobitcollector said:

So you want a Philly First Strike label for your San Francisco First Strike coin? (See the slab bullsitter posted above... :) )

• Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BackroadJunkie said:

@Twobitcollector said:

So you want a Philly First Strike label for your San Francisco First Strike coin? (See the slab bullsitter posted above... :) )

This is the best I could do with PhotoScape

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 18, 2017 6:24PM

From the CW article:

"Second opportunity

Collectors will have a second opportunity to obtain the Proof 2017-S American Eagle silver dollar in 2017 when the coin is included in the 2017 Limited Edition Silver Proof set. Details on the 2017 Limited Edition Silver Proof set — including pricing, product limit and household ordering limits, if any — are yet to be disclosed by the Mint."

Makes it difficult to understand the huge premiums now. Those who sold fast and are selling are smart.

Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options

Those sets will be $135+ a set from the mint. Probably a great way to get a coin if missed on the first round.

• Options
    Paulyaces76Paulyaces76 Posts: 294 ✭✭
    edited April 19, 2017 2:11AM
  • Options
    NotSureNotSure Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭

My backorder just shipped yesterday. Not just a tracking #, but it's actually in transit, and I had an order #049852XX. Why no 'first-in, first-out' is beyond me.

I'll come up with something.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file