Home U.S. Coin Forum

Two 2017 Proof Silver Eagles this year... (Updated. This might be interesting...)

Comments

• KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

@NotSure said:
    My backorder just shipped yesterday. Not just a tracking #, but it's actually in transit, and I had an order #049852XX. Why no 'first-in, first-out' is beyond me.

If you try to apply logic or common sense or compliance to stated policies toward the US Mint you will slowly go insane at the unexplained and outright contradictory misinformation that comes out of that puzzle palace. Save your self. You are not over the tipping point....yet. Close your eyes and take ten deep breaths. Your confusion, consternation and frustration will melt away. Don't torture your self anymore with unanswerable questions like these.

• jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,085 ✭✭✭✭✭

I sold WAY too cheap... $111 each

• BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 19, 2017 2:39PM

One dude listed 10 at $120 and they were rapidly sucked up

I think everyone is assuming a 50-75k mintage limit on the LE set WITH a HH limit added for a while which would put this S in a decent place...50k would be fantastic

• mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've sold two at $174.95, but the last one is going begging...for now. The amazing thing is that the listing has had 394 views in a little over 4 days... :o

@jwitten said:
    I sold WAY too cheap... $111 each

You doubled your cost...that's not bad.

• Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

$175 raw?? Maybe I should sell mine and pick up a slabbed PR70 for $220!

• jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭

If my backorder ships I'll give one away here

• SONOMOSCASONOMOSCA Posts: 406 ✭✭✭

Many raw sets on Ebay are pre sales or says confirmed order,
    I guess they think prices won't stay high much longer. I still have
    one set left and really don't want it. Sold most of my proof eagles
    years ago after the Mint didn't make the 2009... lost interest after that.

BST transactions - Wondercoin, SNMAN , Mb423, Timbuk3
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,490 ✭✭✭✭

I don't know what to make of this anymore. Stupid US Mint. You'd think they would have learned by now!

I finally cancelled the order I placed with an ebay seller who still had not received his/her back ordered set so now I'll just have to wait for the Limited Edition set or for prices to relax which I KNOW they will.

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mine were in hand and ready to ship - not pre-sales. In truth, I sold the first one for $179.95 and the second for $174.95 (that's what the last one is listed at). A TON of views on Ebay, so lots of people are looking for these. If it were me, I'd buy one already graded, but I guess some people just want them in the OGP. I'm keeping my two remaining sets on the shelf for a while - see what happens

edited April 19, 2017 7:03PM

Deleted

@19Lyds said:
    I don't know what to make of this anymore. Stupid US Mint. You'd think they would have learned by now!

I finally cancelled the order I placed with an ebay seller who still had not received his/her back ordered set so now I'll just have to wait for the Limited Edition set or for prices to relax which I KNOW they will.

Why would you cancel? Most ebay sales have been pre-orders. My 2 buyers have been very understanding that the mint is goofy about shipping. Plus, compared to what they are going for now, they got a great deal. I just wish the mint would hurry up and ship them to me.

• CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jwitten said:

@19Lyds said:

Why would you cancel? Most ebay sales have been pre-orders. My 2 buyers have been very understanding that the mint is goofy about shipping. Plus, compared to what they are going for now, they got a great deal. I just wish the mint would hurry up and ship them to me.

Of course they're being very gracious with the wait at $112 buy prices lol. Who could have expected a jump to $150-180 after a high of $150 then down to $115 then straight up to $175 +/- though. This sure is a strange offering. I bought 2 for me and 2 for a friend. One that I kept had a minor strike thru and sold it for $250 very quickly when prices were at $125. The other I'm keeping for my album. Wish I would have bought 20 but that's how it usually goes lol. I still get my keeper for free and $100+ on top. Can't complain with that

The more you VAM..
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,360 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hmmmm...tempting to sell the 4 I have, in-hand.....
    If I thought they were wanted on the BST, I would do that for $20+ below ebay, most likely.

I have another 5 coming that were shipped out today as well. I can sell some and still keep 1 or 2 for us and another 1 or 2 for gifts and still do ok.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 24, 2017 11:33AM

Have you noticed how every big dealer and his brother has a boat load of graded 70's for pre-sale ? That is because they want to unload them before everybody realizes that the 70 populations will be way over 10,000 and the value will quickly drop. If you are flipping get in and out ASAP. Buy the way, I stopped buying new mint issues two years ago but still enjoy reading the Forum almost every day. Learned a lot and got entertained a lot.

P.S. for those who remember my worries with my grandson, he seems to be very healthy and doing great for a three year old. I believe he is going to be a politician as he is very outgoing and loves to be the center of attention. Walks up to everybody when he is out and introduces himself.

" If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater

I think you have to keep in mind what is driving prices is the low mintage number and the fact that most collectors got hosed on ordering these. Yes, this will be a highly slabbed coin BUT that will not change the overall availability. If you want one you will have to pay a premium for it.
    I should add that, unlike with other products, most dealers are already fully into sales of big quantities of their graded coins...Joe Normal will only add a small number graded after the big boys are done. Right now is the dump and it is ALL being absorbed very well.

My backordered order's credit card charge just disappeared. Hope that is not a bad sign.

@jwitten said:
    My backordered order's credit card charge just disappeared. Hope that is not a bad sign.

That happened to me a fews years back, though not on a backordered order. My item actually
    shipped and then the cc charge disappeared but soon after the charge came back... like it took a short vacation. :)

• hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jwitten said:

Same here.

Same. it's two weeks before it drops off which is exactly today

• ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jwitten said:

Same here...

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

Strange offering to say the least

The more you VAM..
  • pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭
    edited April 20, 2017 4:06PM

Well if you compare these to 100k 25th Anniversary MS S, the 70s are going in the upper $200 range after 6 years. My guess is with the more popular proof version, this 2017 S will probably fall into the same price range or even higher.

Of course, the mint may do this every year forward in the congratulations set and dilute future value.

• 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

Let's not forget as seemingly everybody has that the silver set will generate another round of sales and prob. hit above 25k IMO. Overpriced for now.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • NotSureNotSure Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭
    edited April 20, 2017 8:41PM

For what one will spend to get the LE silver set, just to acquire the S-mint proof ASE, one might just be better off buying the S-mint ASE graded in 69 now, as there's really not that much difference in price between the Congrats set, and the ASE graded in 69, (from my 'slightly more than cursory' comparison looksee...70's ARE a MUCH different story). Given what the cost of the LE set will be, just to get the S-mint ASE (when THAT set goes 'live', could it start all over again and everyone gets shut-out IF there's no HH limit?), I don't see purchasing the graded single now, as a bad alternative to waiting/hoping for the LE set .....JMHO

I'll come up with something.

However, not my point. The total population of S proofs will increase. Somehow I think you are missing the fact that Proof 69s are going for 150+ to 200 and this is MORE than the silver set that includes multiple other silver coins. With an increase in population of the eagle, this will start to have a somewhat depressive effect on the market and displaces the coin as the "key" affordable SAE if mintage is greater than 25k (and IMO the mint would be crazy to not use this opportunity to pump up their sales).

But what about the special labels available for each coin! You mustn't forget the special label designation.

You will have first strike and non first strike for both and special designations and not. To get the special designation on the LE set, first strike or LE set, you will have to send in the ENTIRE SEALED US MINT BOX for grading. Those boxes are heavy!

• renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jwitten said:

I dunno what to think about that one...

I'm still backorder status...USM049852XX.

• callawayc7callawayc7 Posts: 303 ✭✭✭

@7Jaguars said:
    However, not my point. The total population of S proofs will increase. Somehow I think you are missing the fact that Proof 69s are going for 150+ to 200 and this is MORE than the silver set that includes multiple other silver coins. With an increase in population of the eagle, this will start to have a somewhat depressive effect on the market and displaces the coin as the "key" affordable SAE if mintage is greater than 25k (and IMO the mint would be crazy to not use this opportunity to pump up their sales).

I agree. The 2016 Limited Edition Silver Proof set has a mintage of 50,000 so I'm pretty sure the 2017 set will be at least 50,000. And if the Mint has half a brain it would be much higher than 50,000.

• BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

@7Jaguars said:

They could pump out 100K LE sets, and the 2017-S will still be the lowest mintage regular proof ASE. (Next to the 95W.)

The Congrats set is in demand due to the overhead of the LE Set. At 3x the cost of the congrats set, it will be much less desirable, since the other silver coins in the set will be overpriced as well. (I won't even go into storage space and labels...)

@callawayc7 said:

@7Jaguars said:

I agree. The 2016 Limited Edition Silver Proof set has a mintage of 50,000 so I'm pretty sure the 2017 set will be at least 50,000. ** And if the Mint has half a brain it would be much higher than 50,000. **

That's what they used with the Congrats product. I'm hoping they have a moment of sanity and use their whole brain.

50,000 could be the mintage since they seem to go on past performance. 75,000 or 100,000 might happen if clear thinking occurs. More importantly would be a HH limit somewhere below unlimited. Realistically 2 to 5 would satisfy most people especially with the higher cost per set.

It is possible there will be another run on LES set if only by those who got locked out in 2 minutes by the Congratulations offering. They will want a fair chance to get the 2017 S ASE.

Ah, but the 11-S would trump it as far as "collectible" silver eagles go....

• KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭

There's probably a very large segment of the hobby that would like the Congratulations coin in the original packaging. I don't know if that portion would even be higher than those who want them in graded holders, but when 10's of thousands of a "limited" item are lost to the grading mega buyers then ones in original packaging will sell for closer to what graded ones sell for.

@7Jaguars said:
    Ah, but the 11-S would trump it as far as "collectible" silver eagles go....

If we're going to talk different finishes, then it's the 08/07 reverse. They're still relatively reasonably priced considering a mintage of less than 50K...

• epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

What just happened here?

No mintage / product limit as described in OP, now selling @ $ 170. Dead octopus or revived to life and escapes thru the porthole.

Item Number: 17RF
    Mintage Limit: None
    Product Limit: None
    Household Order Limit: None
    $54.95, on sale noon April 4.

@epcjimi1 said:
    What just happened here?

No mintage / product limit as described in OP, now selling @ $ 170. Dead octopus or revived to life and escapes thru the porthole.

Not sure where you got those numbers... it was limited to 75,000 product limit

@epcjimi1 said:
    What just happened here?

Ah Jim, it's:
    Product Limit: 75,000

When mintage limit is none it's a good indicator that the coin will be available in another product...not always. Product limit for this offering is @ 75,000. I can't remember them raising the limit and making more once they publish a product limit.

It is a little crazy that the going price is now triple+ the issue price.

• epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

@jwitten said:

@epcjimi1 said:
    What just happened here?

Not sure where you got those numbers... it was limited to 75,000 product limit

IT WAS IN THE OP

LOLOLOLOO>LOLOLOLOLOLO and a final L Srsly.

@epcjimi1 said:
    What just happened here?

You're looking at my original post. It was later updated (three posts down from the first post). I also put a link on the OP to the update...

Yup, most everyone here knows that and I thank you for the heads up on this one

• Does anyone have any suggestions for how to get around losing 10% on precious metal coins?

@LibertyLover said:
    Does anyone have any suggestions for how to get around losing 10% on precious metal coins?

Yes, time travel back to April 4th, buy a bunch of these, then sell them.

Backorders shipping yet?
    Anyone receive?

Mine are still backordered :(

edited April 22, 2017 6:03PM

@jwitten said:

Order # ?

My order# USM049873XX

• BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,360 ✭✭✭✭✭

Shipped? Yes.
    Received? Nope. Under $300 for mine and that means FedEx STUPIDPost shipping by the USMint...which means ~10 days

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭✭✭

My not so smart post is due to arrive on Tuesday, we'll see.

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN

@ECHOES said:

@jwitten said:

Order # ?

My order# USM049873XX

USM049852xx

Backordered #0498528x shipped and received by my son. I haven't picked them up yet...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file