Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Two 2017 Proof Silver Eagles this year... (Updated. This might be interesting...)

Comments

• Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:

@alohagary said:
    I would like to thank Backroadjunkie for posting this thread and informing me the potential in this proof s mint silver eagle. This is one of the main reason I read this forums. to learn and keep up with this fantastic hobby. I always find interesting and useful information here. I look forward each day to reading the forums. I appreciate all the posters sharing their individual insights
    Gary

Ditto!!!

You're welcome. But I was just the first. Sooner or later, someone would have noticed...

I wonder if the mint has an other little surprises for the 225th. Maybe I was a little too quick to write them off this year. HAhahaahha....

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BackroadJunkie said:

@JBK said:

@alohagary said:
    I would like to thank Backroadjunkie for posting this thread and informing me the potential in this proof s mint silver eagle. This is one of the main reason I read this forums. to learn and keep up with this fantastic hobby. I always find interesting and useful information here. I look forward each day to reading the forums. I appreciate all the posters sharing their individual insights
    Gary

Ditto!!!

You're welcome. But I was just the first. Sooner or later, someone would have noticed...

I wonder if the mint has an other little surprises for the 225th. Maybe I was a little too quick to write them off this year. HAhahaahha....

Of course they do. It could be a good one. It could be unpleasant. Those crazy guys are just full of surprises. ( and other stuff too)

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 6, 2017 1:04PM

Mine also says Monday delivery, shipped Wednesday.

49852xx

• Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭

Xxxx850xx shipped.

• Options

Xxxx850xx shipped.

I wonder if they have all of them produced or a first strike eligible coins will be at a premium

• Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

They (The Mint) would have to re-vamp the packaging to accommodate the second ASE.
    I have a feeling there will only be one, but which one?
    Wild guess...

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options

I heard a rumor that the mint put this out as a special "Easter egg" and those that got one "congratulations" on getting a very limited run coin.

The mint was clever here.

• Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭

@ECHOES said:

They (The Mint) would have to re-vamp the packaging to accommodate the second ASE.
    I have a feeling there will only be one, but which one?
    Wild guess...

Well they already said it (the S) "would be included" in the LE set. I thought i read that it would be both ASE's but maybe that was a false assumption of mine.

• Options

I am now going with "false assumption"....this is all I found:

U.S. Mint officials have not dis­closed a product maximum for the 2017 Limited Edition Silver Proof sets, nor whether a Proof 2017-W American Eagle silver dollar will be included in the set as well.>

..and:

Later this year, the American Eagle One Ounce Silver Proof Coin with the "S" mint mark from the San Francisco Mint will be available as part of the 2017 Limited Edition Silver Proof Set.>

• Options

@BigA said:

Later this year, the American Eagle One Ounce Silver Proof Coin with the "S" mint mark from the San Francisco Mint will be available as part of the 2017 Limited Edition Silver Proof Set.>

I'm guessing we will have to wait and see.

• Options
    Paulyaces76Paulyaces76 Posts: 294 ✭✭

A lady I chatted with on the Mint site said the s would be the only one in there. I don't know how much they know, but she seemed certain for that is what they were all told!!!

• Options
    edited April 9, 2017 10:41AM

Delivered to my mail box yesterday

Inspected both of my 2.....flawless. By my old eyes I see a PF70 if I were to sent one in. I'm not. I suspect a 70 grade will populate more than 69 & lower.

• Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

I completed my order at 12:02p and am still backordered...USM049852XX(?) Anyone else in the same camp as I?

• Options
    dmwestdmwest Posts: 957 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 10, 2017 5:18PM

@renman95 said:
    I completed my order at 12:02p and am still backordered...USM049852XX(?) Anyone else in the same camp as I?

Me too.....they told me today...the Mint would send an email if the order was going to get cancelled....don't know how long that takes...

Don't quote me on that.

• Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,427 ✭✭✭✭

Considering there is no mintage limit, I can't help but think they will be available in another set, or by itself.

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am still backordered as well

• Options

USM04985xxx went from processing, cc charged, to backorderd today.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 11, 2017 5:54AM

just found out that dealers soaked up a lot of the orders.

you guys say 2 minutes.

the mint says 8 minutes.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

Funny, I wanted to ask if those whom managed to order on the 5th, if they still show back-order as well.
    Mint dinged my CC on 5th where it stayed in "pending" until yesterday. The charge is now gone.
    On the Mint site I am showing only a charge for shipping?
    Anyone else seeing this?

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,592 ✭✭✭✭✭

Received mine last week and shipped the 5 I sold on ebay earlier today. I kept one for myself. It's a fairly thin package, basically just a cardboard folder with an ASE inserted inside.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

@grote15 said:
    Received mine last week and shipped the 5 I sold on ebay earlier today. I kept one for myself. It's a fairly thin package, basically just a cardboard folder with an ASE inserted inside.

Is the ASE in a capsule?

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,592 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ECHOES said:

@grote15 said:

Is the ASE in a capsule?

Yes, it is. Hard plastic snap tite holder.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

@grote15 said:

@ECHOES said:

@grote15 said:

Is the ASE in a capsule?

Yes, it is. Hard plastic snap tite holder.

Thanks, that is what I was hoping for.
    Need to be patient now and wait.... Right

• Options
    dmwestdmwest Posts: 957 ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone gone from backordered to processing?

Don't quote me on that.

• Options
    edited April 10, 2017 6:31PM

So, talked to a mint rep. These aren't sold out yet. They sold out of their inventory so first strike coins may be a premium here. She said the total number of sets sold, coins they had in inventory, will come out next Wednesday in their production report and when they get more, the backordered coins will go out.

However, using her logic, the number of backorders should sell this out so I'm not sure why they don't just call it now.

• Options
    Booger9989Booger9989 Posts: 406 ✭✭✭

From what I was told by a friend people were able to call the Philadelphia mint gift shop directly and order these sets. They actually shipped the same day since aramark had them in hand....

Positive BST Deals as a seller : Wondercoin, Chumlee, Jerster, Perry Hall , DMarks, MWK, drewsef, SoCalBigMark, Lakesammman, Nurmaler
  • Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

Got mine today. They're nice! This was the easiest ordering and quickest delivery I've ever experienced.

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got the "Shipped" email from the mint on Friday. But the USPS tracking shows that they are ready for pickup, not actually in motion. Just hurry up and wait like everyone else I guess. Maybe I should have ordered six for faster shipping and better flippability!

• Options
    SweetpieSweetpie Posts: 466 ✭✭✭

Got my 2017 s ASE.
    Wow! What's a beauti!
    However, 1 of the lettering (R) is showing a "pimple" upon closer inspection.
    Does this have any perceived value?

• Options
    TurboSnailTurboSnail Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 10, 2017 10:14PM

@Sweetpie said:
    Got my 2017 s ASE.
    Wow! What's a beauti!

Nice curve!

• Options

Same situation...backordered...only the $4.95 charge for shipping is listed

• Options
    edited April 11, 2017 5:55AM

no extra value

a purist might think less of it, eve.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

@Rampage said:
    Considering there is no mintage limit, I can't help but think they will be available in another set, or by itself.

It has already been announced that it will be in the LE Proof set

...and re: "The Mint rep told me it was not sold out"

Like with any other product that has high demand sales there will always be CC cancellations and other issues that put coins back in inventory.
    So, I guess strictly speaking no coin is sold out until all issues are taken care of and those cancelled order coins are released or not.

• Options
    edited April 11, 2017 6:10AM

@BigA said:

@Rampage said:

It has already been announced that it will be in the LE Proof set

...and re: "The Mint rep told me it was not sold out"

Like with any other product that has high demand sales there will always be CC cancellations and other issues that put coins back in inventory.
    So, I guess strictly speaking no coin is sold out until all issues are taken care of and those cancelled order coins are released or not.

the "mint rep" is a slacker in a call center in texas for a company that is a government contractor.

and, yes, I know the fulfillment takes place from Memphis, TN. This is all the more reason why those front line call center people have no clue and often have only a tiny bit more of a clue that what you can find out online.

next time you call ask: "How's the weather in Texas today?"

I talked to the real mint people recently and was told the entire 75,000 sold out in 8 minutes and dealers soaked up most of the sets.

• Options
    CyndieChildressCyndieChildress Posts: 429 ✭✭✭

Mine should be here in the next day or two as I received an email stating "shipped".
    My first Coin purchase

• Options

@BigA said:
    Same situation...backordered...only the $4.95 charge for shipping is listed

Thanks.

• Options

The question now is, look on ebay there is one company that has a crap ton of them. Selling 100 of each label and grade. If that company lets say bought 50 grand of them, wouldn't that kill the market for that coin, it would take them years to get rid of that inventory (At inflated prices). This could be the turning point of the way things are done by dealers and sometimes too much of a good thing is not always the best! Competition is the key and these could have gotten distributed into sets that people needed, now a lot of those people say "Screw it and I guess I don't need that one!". And, almost all 75K of them will be graded, also what affect does that have?

• Options
    CoinMeisterCoinMeister Posts: 642 ✭✭✭✭

So if there is a delay/backorder on some orders, this may limit the amount of First Strikes. However, with the dealers that managed to swipe up a bunch of these, there could be a sudden surge of available graded coins in the next week or so. That leads to my question, for those that did happen to get these, would you sell these on ebay now or take a chance and send them in for First Strike?

"What we are never changes, but who we are ... never stops changing."
  • Options

As long as your order ships before the FS cut-off, whch hasn't been published yet, pcgs.com/firststrike/ you are golden for First Strike designation. When posted it will expire 30 days from first delivery, or about May 5th give or take a day or so.

I won't be selling on Ebay one of my two. Not a flipper. I won't be sending in for FS either.

As far as those who bought thousands and in reality kept regular collectors from getting one for their collections it's kinda sad. OK, buy a couple hundred for your business but thousands? Seems greedy and excessive. It also gives the appearance of corruption at the Mint. Not saying it's true, just the whiff of a stink and a very uneasy feeling.

In the long run there could be downward price effect of swamping the market with a flood of graded 70's from these mass buyers. They need to recoup their expenses.

The fault lays with the Mint for another bungled release.

• Options

I think it was major dealers will probably be selling online or on TV I don't think it'll affect eBay prices

• Options
    SONOMOSCASONOMOSCA Posts: 405 ✭✭✭

Sales on eBay have been staying around the $120 to $130 range with more people listing for $124.95 BIN's.
    What's the deal with this one? - http://www.ebay.com/itm/201880048810?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

BST transactions - Wondercoin, SNMAN , Mb423, Timbuk3
  • Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,179 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was wondering when the Mint releases the LE set will the 2017-S in it be eligible for First Strike or Early Release.
    Make you wonder

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • Options

It will definitely not be FS eligible.

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,319 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, that serves to show what BS the whole FS business really is, not to mention the fact that numismatically it is meaningless.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options

Well if the exact same coin is released later in the year it can't be a first strike of the series then can it?

• Options

Hmmm...the Mint has not updated their weekly sales report. I was curious to see just how many 2017-S would be listed as being sold..

• Options
    edited April 12, 2017 5:33AM

@BigA said:
    Hmmm...the Mint has not updated their weekly sales report. I was curious to see just how many 2017-S would be listed as being sold..

i was told sold out, as in all 750000, by the real mint people

• Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 12, 2017 5:52AM

@MsMorrisine said:

@BigA said:

i was told sold out, as in all 75,0000, by the real mint people

(Fixed the number for you.)

I've been waiting too.

The mint always holds back a percentage for replacements, though this time customers on back order could be in line for those. We should know in a couple weeks after the return period is up. (I assume most of those on backorder will get fulfilled in a couple of days.) The number released will also reflect the CC rejected orders.

More interesting will be the American Liberty, however there might be a small spike post-report if the average gold spot does increase today.

Both my Congrat orders showed up yesterday. Opened one box, four look perfect, one is iffy. I'm debating with myself if I should open the other box and have them all graded, and get that FS/ER label...

• Options
    edited April 12, 2017 5:53AM

Yup, but I just wanted to know how many there might be left after the cancelled orders AND the exact number sold

CoinWeek’s call into Michael White at the Office of Corporate Communications at the United States Mint confirmed that the U.S. Mint would no longer accept orders for the Congratulations Set until all current orders are processed. The potential exists that some small number of orders might be cancelled and that the product reserved for unfilled orders would made available again at a future date.>

(75,000 product limit)

• Options
    Paulyaces76Paulyaces76 Posts: 294 ✭✭
    edited April 12, 2017 8:14AM

@jessewvu said:
    It will definitely not be FS eligible.

Wait, but in 2012 the S proof eagle got FS in the 2 coin 75th San Fran set and then the Coin and Currency Set came out a month or two later and there were still FS labels. I think you have to make sure on this, for if I remember both sets in 2012 did not come out the same month!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file