Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

And people say you shouldn't buy from Great Southern....

Comments

• Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

@deefree49 said:
    I agree with georgiacop50...
    I think it is a misprint on the label.

I think it unlikely a misprint on the label. The PCGS # is 3301 when you look up the cert. If it were an RB busines strike it would be 2424. There would have to been two misprints on the label.

OINK

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AmazonX said:
    Puts tin foil hat on

Maybe this is a smart marketing ploy by GSC. They took a photo of the coin and sent it out for grading. Got this coin as a PF and figured they will drum up some buzz for their coin and their company. Suspicious to me that the owner made this coin and decided to create a new account on CoinTalk and then brag about it.

takes tin foil hat off

I thought of this early on but who knows. Perhaps the buyer was Joe Smoe and hoped for a MS65 and got this in return.

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Our friends at GS have been cherried before on matte proofs bought as business strikes. That said, this one doesn't look like a MP to me. But then, I don't claim to be a expert with these things.

• Options
    RTScott1978RTScott1978 Posts: 73
    edited February 9, 2017 3:17PM

@keets said:
    I also tend to be leery of online posts that are grammatically flawed and don't "sound" right.

Here's his latest post on the CT thread:

"WOW...IM SPEECHLESS. ..♡♡♡♡♡

That's for all the kind words and to all the "Na Sayers" I know this is a too good to be true story but when your a God fearing man you get Blessing's. ...And to you guys that think Mr Hall don't have a Professional team you have officially lost you'll mind...This coin went through a panel of graders not just one person also my photos are from in a coin flip so go figure. RIM...!!!!!
    Also, I have No Affiliation with GSC and the guy that said their name must be the guy I talked to when I called down there...The coin will never be forsale so get Out Of You'll Feelings...Anyway, for the rest of you living in fear this site is called Coin Talk so why would I join if I had nothing to talk about...???? Also it's called being Blessed not Lucky...YIS....LP....!!!!!!!!

P.S.
    I WILL NOT POST ON HERE AGAIN FOR THE INTEREST OF MY FAVORITE PART OF THE COIN WORLD...Having Fun With My Coins...!!!!!"

Barely can make heads or tails of what he is saying. I, too, am very skeptical of posts such as these wherein some one writes as if they never have before. I do certainly understand some people are plain not very articulate, but his two or three posts over on CT are close to incoherent. Checked his profile, too, he lists his age as 48. No telling whether or not that is true, but, if it is, it is truly disheartening news for an English teacher. I teach 16 year olds who write like Nabokov compared to this.

Anyway, this is a very interesting occurrence. I have been doing much research into this - thank you, snow day! - and I truly do not believe it is a Matte Proof. Please, do correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't that conversation end at the fact that it is missing the diagnostics which all other '09 VDB MP's have?

As some one already mentioned, either here or on CT, since there were so few '09 VDB MP's made in the first place, only one obverse die was used. Therefore, it only takes some simple deductive reasoning to conclude this is not an MP.

1. All '09 VDB MP's have certain diagnostics.

2. The coin in question does not have those diagnostics.

3. Therefore, the coin is question is not an MP.

I mean, right? And now the conversation turns to how our hosts will handle this?

"A rich man is nothing but a poor man with money." - W. C. Fields
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,707 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RTScott1978 said:

@keets said:
    I also tend to be leery of online posts that are grammatically flawed and don't "sound" right.

Here's his latest post on the CT thread:

P.S.
    I WILL NOT POST ON HERE AGAIN FOR THE INTEREST OF MY FAVORITE PART OF THE COIN WORLD...Having Fun With My Coins...!!!!!"

Barely can make heads or tails of what he is saying. ...

What he's saying is "LA LA LA LA I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!! LA LA LA LA..."

I gave him a gentle admonishment over on CT. If he chooses not to listen, at the end of the day it's his loss, not mine. PCGS is going to pull that cert within a couple days, I'm guessing.

• Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

As others have mentioned, I also would not buy this coin as a proof based on any of the photos provided... shows NONE of the 1909 VDB proof diagnostics. Almost always a TrueView photo will show at least a couple of the diagnostics.

Looks like a mechanical error. And the submitter of the coin is now on notice that many (even some experts in the series) do not think it is a proof and is a mechanical error by PCGS. All grading companies, even PCGS, make mistakes occasionally and no one should profit from those mistakes. And if this turns out to not be a proof, PCGS will not pay out and they should not pay out. Even if the current owner sells it now and makes a bunch of money, he'll be giving it back down the road.

Of course, there's a chance that this is the real deal and that the photos just hide ALL of the diagnostics... but I wouldn't bet on that.

• Options

@messydesk said:

What he's saying is "LA LA LA LA I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!! LA LA LA LA..."

:D

"A rich man is nothing but a poor man with money." - W. C. Fields
  • Options

It's been uploaded to Coinfacts as a PR so jumbo images are available. The Big Picture

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

@VanHalen said:

@AmazonX said:
    Puts tin foil hat on

Maybe this is a smart marketing ploy by GSC. They took a photo of the coin and sent it out for grading. Got this coin as a PF and figured they will drum up some buzz for their coin and their company. Suspicious to me that the owner made this coin and decided to create a new account on CoinTalk and then brag about it.

takes tin foil hat off

I thought of this early on but who knows. Perhaps the buyer was Joe Smoe and hoped for a MS65 and got this in return.

I suspect if it was GSC that they would have sold it first.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ManifestDestiny said:
    Well God gave him this coin so who are we to question God's blessings. According to him.

With all the crap I find He must hate me. LOL.

God even outranks John Albanese

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:

@ManifestDestiny said:
    Well God gave him this coin so who are we to question God's blessings. According to him.

With all the crap I find He must hate me. LOL.

God even outranks John Albanese

mark

LOL!! You beat me to it!!

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    edited February 9, 2017 4:27PM

@VanHalen said:
    It's been uploaded to Coinfacts as a PR so jumbo images are available. The Big Picture

After viewing the LARGE images; I'd don't see the crescent shaped die gouge and the rims look thin and round, as opposed to sharp and wide, as on a genuine proof.

Unless these markers are extremely weak.

I see scratches by the nose but they don't look quite right.

• Options
    deefree49deefree49 Posts: 282 ✭✭✭

Those scratches near the nose are rather clumsy looking - on a genuine coin the die lines are RAISED, not dug in.

This whole affair has been pretty exciting. This type of thing doesn't happen every day!

Sadly, I have to say it is not a proof. It isn't even close. The outer part of the rim is rounded and that is a 100% giveaway that it is a business strike.

The colors are nice too but there are an awful lot of scratches for it to be a 65. Somebody completely messed up the label on this one! MS64BN?

Lincoln coin lover, especially Matte Proofs
  • Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a proof.

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    PocketArtPocketArt Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hopefully the OP on Coin Talk will provide pictures of his coin matching the diagnostics of his with a true 1909 V.D.B MP. If he doesn't; then I can only conclude business strike....If it was me- I'd be capturing every scratch, gouge, and chip with assured glory.

Since he's not- must be struggling somewhere between denial, and acceptance.

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

You have to love the country bumpkin verbiage from the owner:

"When my 15 min reminder went off i went to check the auction and the bid was at $38.75 so at the 1 min mark I got myself prepared to take a leep of fate and try to make a bid on what I considered one of the most Beautiful Linclon cents i had ever seen...Their was a slight rush at the last 10 sec. but my last bid of $60.00 netted me the winner at $56.00...Upon arrival I noticed that it had a look that i never seen before and when moved in the light it had a holographic effect with the colors that seems to be unreal...The first thing I did was went and took photos and sent a few to my VDB teacher and his words were " It has alot of extra details in the hair and it could be a Matte Proof" but hard to tell without have it in hand...Next I contacted a good friend who is also a coin dealer and sent him the same photos and his words were "It has a sharp rim but hard to tell without having it in hand"...With the anticipation of having something Special I quickly sent it off to PCGS for Authentication."

If you look at the other coins the guy sent in based on certification numbers, no great shakes, so was probably sent in economy.

• Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭

He got lucky but what about those before him that werent?

Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options

I'm just picturing a guy that looks like Jethro Bodine showing his uncle his 'purdy penny'. lol

• Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭

The prideful owner of this coin should really pay attention to the old adage "there is more than just a river in denial".

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    edited February 9, 2017 7:05PM

@ManifestDestiny said:

Well, in that case, God also sends messengers, which are best not ignored. And PCGS sends Terms & Conditions of Service, that include:

-- 5. Customer must inspect all coins immediately upon receipt and PCGS disclaims any liability for damage or discrepancies or errors, including but not limited to errors in the description of the coin, unless reported to PCGS within five (5) days of Customer's receipt of the coin(s). Customer agrees to return any incorrectly described coins to PCGS upon request for correction and agrees to indemnify and hold PCGS harmless from any and all losses and/or claims caused by the circulation or sale of any incorrectly described coin.

• Options

Which leads me to wonder whether there have been significant "mechanical errors" from one of the major grading services that ended up in auction without the auctioneer flagging it before sale?

• Options
    david3142david3142 Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coindeuce said:
    The prideful owner of this coin should really pay attention to the old adage "there is more than just a river in denial".

Um, you mean denial is more than just a river in Egypt?

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@logger7 said:
    Which leads me to wonder whether there have been significant "mechanical errors" from one of the major grading services that ended up in auction without the auctioneer flagging it before sale?

the peeps here have caught many over the years, including fakes in holders.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,958 ✭✭✭✭✭

The facts are neutral. Either it is or is not a Matte Proof Lincoln cent coin. If PCGS has called it something it is not by mistake then it should be corrected. It sounds like the new owner is going to "bury" it. We may see this coin again 20 years from now.. If it goes to auction it may raise a red flag.

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,711 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do not want to rain on anybody's parade here - I wish I could hand out a "you Suck - Big Time for the picker of this coin. BUT, its not a Matte Proof! Heck, it should not have even been graded given the planchet flaw. Somebody at PCGS made a couple of mistakes on this one but I do not think its the graders - I think it was who ever punches in the data to make the label - It happens all the time. Too bad, somebody will be seriously let down. And I agree with Lance, I have never been reimbursed for any mechanical label corrections - not even postage! So you can forget about the $40,000.

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    BruceSBruceS Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 9, 2017 9:32PM

This post has been going on and on and on. Not only here but many sites. I think the majority is in agreement that the coin in question is at the very least misattributed/labeled and I'm sure the mods have seen it. Please put this to bed and respond. Was this a mistake in labeling? If so maybe the owner has already got a notification to kindly return it to correct the errors, and if it's by some miracle a newly found die state, then the masses need to know. Or maybe we will never know due to privacy concerns but someone at our host should respond to kill this insanity. JMO.

eBay ID-bruceshort978
    Successful BST:here and ATS, bumanchu, wdrob, hashtag, KeeNoooo, mikej61, Yonico, Meltdown, BAJJERFAN, Excaliber, lordmarcovan, cucamongacoin, robkool, bradyc, tonedcointrader, mumu, Windycity, astrotrain, tizofthe, overdate, rwyarmch, mkman123, Timbuk3,GBurger717, airplanenut, coinkid855 ,illini420, michaeldixon, Weiss, Morpheus, Deepcoin, Collectorcoins, AUandAG, D.Schwager.
  • Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is that a booger at 10 o'clock by the wheat stalk?

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 9, 2017 8:46PM

@thebigeng said:
    The facts are neutral. Either it is or is not a Matte Proof Lincoln cent coin. If PCGS has called it something it is not by mistake then it should be corrected. It sounds like the new owner is going to "bury" it. We may see this coin again 20 years from now.. If it goes to auction it may raise a red flag.

The story doesn't seem real to me. The owner is never going to sell it? Yeah, right. We've heard that line before. A local bumpkin buying inexpensive coins now has a supposedly $40,000 one and isn't going to sell it? $40,000 could fund a very nice collection of coins this guy has only dreamed about....or many gem BU rolls of 1909-vdb cents if that's what they like.

One could easily see a coin like this being sold and the seller disappearing. How are you going to claw back the $40K to that owner? They sold a coin that PCGS authenticated/priced at $40K. In cases like that where the owner is long gone, the TPG ought to eat the mistake to keep good faith with their customers. It's surely not the customer's fault if PCGS or NGC creates mechanical errors in their slabs.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options

@cameonut2011 said:

EEEEWWWWWW!!!

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 9, 2017 9:01PM

@Walkerfan said:

@cameonut2011 said:

EEEEWWWWWW!!!

I guess PCGS will be called the "Boogey Man" by the owner when it cancels the cert number and demands the customer return the coin for correction.

• Options
    KyleKyle Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 9, 2017 9:09PM

@cameonut2011 said:

No, that's the diagnostic marker for this new die state.

Successful BST Transactions With: tonedase, streg2, airplanenut, coindeuce, vibr0nic, natetrook, Shrub68, golden, Lakesammman, drddm, Ilikecolor, CoinJunkie, wondercoin, lablover
  • Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭

@cameonut2011 said:

Probably what caused that "toning."

It's a good thing threads like these are made so the uneducated might not make a horrendous mistake in buying an ugly, AT, MINT STATE coin in the future.

It's also annoying that the owner of this mint state coin has to know that pcgs made a mistake and now is putting fingers in his typo-filled ears.

• Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

well it's not AT, but that's not really the point but that was a great new tangent.

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,425 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am not familiar with grading Proof early Lincoln Cents at all, but this thread reminds me about some guy who claims to have gone to Vegas and won at Keno. Show me the money.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Doesn't look like a matte proof to me.

• Options

The owner made a follow-up post very early this morning. Seems there will be a pay-per-view coming soon. The Cherrypicker follow-up Part III

• Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 10, 2017 4:55AM

If the buyer registers with the forum here, he automatically gets a "YOU SUCK" award.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

**will dig deep in your sole **

really, you can't make this stuff up!!! I am leaning towards this character being a teenager, still in High School.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,918 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 10, 2017 6:35AM

"...it should not have even been graded given the planchet flaw."

Coins get straight grades for having planchet flaws through PCGS. I had a hum dinger of an Indian Cent that had a pretty good sized lamination.

One thing I can say about this "situation", it is nice to see something different that is worth discussion.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    WmwoodWmwood Posts: 102 ✭✭

@felinfoel said:
    I love threads like this:

• Entertainment and intrigue

• I learned a lot more about matte proof 1909 VBD Lincolns than I ever knew before

The system won't like me double like a post. I'm all over this thread refreshing it about every 10 minutes.

This thread has it all, intrigue, education, pictures with circles and arrows, great win and loss.

• Options

The guy could have kept the result quiet, might even have profited some way, but keeps playing it up like he has a once in a lifetime find:

"Yea Yea Yea...Somebody PLEASE GO CHECK ON THE CRYBABBIES....I said I wasn't going to post back on here but you guys are Such CRYBABBIES...Wouldn't have spotted You'll with my 10x 20x are 30x loupe WOW...LMAO....I took the coin in the slab to 2 local coin dealers today and they both trying to buy it...Also for you Rim & Die Marker guys this is what was told to me today.."What ever they had it in toned everything even the Rim" so the photos cut the Rim to make the.end result that those guys are seeing"...The Best part about all this is I own the coin. In question and all the Haters probably been after this coin for years and to see someone pick one off the market like this will dig deep in your sole and bring out some jealousy...I don't own a zoo but I did nickname the coin "The Peacock" and I'm in the process of setting up a 360 viewing page of coin Now, the only thing is that it will cost $1 to view it (PayPal Only) Screen Shot will be disabled so get ready to be creative with your photo taking LOL...Anyway, This was sent to me from a Real Matte Proof Specialist..."Your coin just may be the Best example of what a coin looks like a new die stage other are looking at coins that are in late Stages of a coin die life...If your going to sell it you just hit a Home Run"...Now this post is officially over...Have Fun With Your Coins...LP...!!!!!!"

• Options
    edited February 10, 2017 7:07AM

@logger7 said:
    The guy could have kept the result quiet, might even have profited some way, but keeps playing it up like he has a once in a lifetime find:

"Yea Yea Yea...Somebody PLEASE GO CHECK ON THE CRYBABBIES....I said I wasn't going to post back on here but you guys are Such CRYBABBIES...Wouldn't have spotted You'll with my 10x 20x are 30x loupe WOW...LMAO....I took the coin in the slab to 2 local coin dealers today and they both trying to buy it...Also for you Rim & Die Marker guys this is what was told to me today.."What ever they had it in toned everything even the Rim" so the photos cut the Rim to make the.end result that those guys are seeing"...The Best part about all this is I own the coin. In question and all the Haters probably been after this coin for years and to see someone pick one off the market like this will dig deep in your sole and bring out some jealousy...I don't own a zoo but I did nickname the coin "The Peacock" and I'm in the process of setting up a 360 viewing page of coin Now, the only thing is that it will cost $1 to view it (PayPal Only) Screen Shot will be disabled so get ready to be creative with your photo taking LOL...Anyway, This was sent to me from a Real Matte Proof Specialist..."Your coin just may be the Best example of what a coin looks like a new die stage other are looking at coins that are in late Stages of a coin die life...If your going to sell it you just hit a Home Run"...Now this post is officially over...Have Fun With Your Coins...LP...!!!!!!"

At least we've established that his specialist/mentor can't put a coherent sentence together, either. Is anyone taking bets as to when the cert gets poofed.

• Options
    EXOJUNKIEEXOJUNKIE Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BruceS said:
    ...I'm sure the mods have seen it. Please put this to bed and respond. .... someone at our host should respond to kill this insanity. JMO.

+1

I'm addicted to exonumia ... it is numismatic crack!

ANA LM

USAF Retired — 34 years of active military service! 🇺🇸
  • Options

This thread has been fun, interesting, educational and humorous....you simply CANNOT make this stuff up! :D

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file