Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

And people say you shouldn't buy from Great Southern....

Comments

• Options
    WmwoodWmwood Posts: 102 ✭✭

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

@lusterlover said:
    I'm curious why Brian Wagner said no.....
    I'd love to see a blow up of the reverse.

big image link warning.

https://images.pcgs.com/TrueView/83094854_Max.jpg

Is his high resolution image for $1 gonna beat the one @LanceNewmanOCC posted?

• Options
    slider23slider23 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭✭

I can not even imagine what it would be like to send in a $56 coin and have it come back at $40K. It started off as a wonderful story of a lucky purchase, then the coin can not stand the test of die marking of a proof coin. Appears a sad ending is in shore with the coin owner lashing out at the posters at the CT site, and the possible future news that PCGS has pulled the cert.

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,098 ✭✭✭✭✭

The "peacock" is still in the PCGS database. http://www.pcgs.com/cert/83094854 I wouldn't want to bet on how long this will be valid.

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Perhaps it is safe to take the children to the zoo now since he doesn't own it. On second thought perhaps he works there. :sweat:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    stashstash Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭

My bowl of ice cream melted, reading all these posts . It's not over, til the fat lady sings ...

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lkeigwin said:
    I believe PCGS will say it is a mechanical error and not a grader mistake. In their words...

"The key concept is how obvious the error is to the naked eye. If you can easily tell just by looking at the coin that the description on the holder is wrong, then the coin/holder combination is not covered by the PCGS Guarantee."

PCGS cites examples, including...

"Proofs shown as regular strikes and regular strikes shown as proofs. For example, if you had an obvious regular strike 1907 $2.5 gold piece, but the PCGS holder showed the coin as a proof, this coin would not be covered by the PCGS Guarantee as the difference between a regular strike and proof 1907 $2.5 is obvious."

I believe they will say it is plain as day that the coin is not a proof.
    Lance.

However, the matte proof vs a business strike isn't all that obvious, so who knows? Maybe they'll cover it?

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just looked at all the CoinFacts images listed 1909 VDB Matte Proof issues. as you scroll down and come to the OP coin the difference in the rims is very stark. I cannot see this as anything other than a Mechanical Error at the point of encapsulation.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,869 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CA5MAN said:
    Do they actually poof cert numbers based off a trueview image?

They have in the past - do they guarantee their variety attributions?

• Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,610 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 10, 2017 11:13AM

@asheland said:

@lkeigwin said:
    I believe PCGS will say it is a mechanical error and not a grader mistake. In their words...

"The key concept is how obvious the error is to the naked eye. If you can easily tell just by looking at the coin that the description on the holder is wrong, then the coin/holder combination is not covered by the PCGS Guarantee."

PCGS cites examples, including...

"Proofs shown as regular strikes and regular strikes shown as proofs. For example, if you had an obvious regular strike 1907 $2.5 gold piece, but the PCGS holder showed the coin as a proof, this coin would not be covered by the PCGS Guarantee as the difference between a regular strike and proof 1907 $2.5 is obvious."

I believe they will say it is plain as day that the coin is not a proof.
    Lance.

However, the matte proof vs a business strike isn't all that obvious, so who knows? Maybe they'll cover it?

The fact that not one diagnostic appears on either obverse or reverse makes it pretty obvious. The scratches in front of the nose and the die scratch protruding from the shoulder along with the crescent shaped die gouge near the M in UNUM appear in every stage of the dies life (EDS and LDS). Yet they don't appear on this coin.

Take a trip to CoinFacts and view each and every rim of all the VDB's shown. Every single one is sharp and squared, while the rim on this coin is rounded and beveled.

• Options
    georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭

@logger7 said:
    Which leads me to wonder whether there have been significant "mechanical errors" from one of the major grading services that ended up in auction without the auctioneer flagging it before sale?

Absolutely yes, major mechanical errors do make it into the marketplace via auction or otherwise.

Previously in this thread, I mentioned a 1953-S FBL Franklin that was "called back" by PCGS.

But there have been others that were NOT called back. One that comes to mind in particular was the 1953-S FBL that forum member LucyBop got graded. Having seen the coin in-hand, it was clear to me that somebody at PCGS simply pressed the wrong button somewhere along the line.

Yet the coin was purchased by a well known and respected Franklin dealer (who is also a forumite, incidentally) and sold as FBL. Somebody paid big money for a $30 coin based upon an incorrect label.

You can bet there are plenty of other examples out there.

Buy the coin! not the label!

• Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,919 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 10, 2017 11:34AM

I went ahead and downloaded the TrueViews of the coin all six options, heck I even did a screen capture, I might as well make a copy of this thread for entertainment purposes...I'll even keep the dollar for myself.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I once Cherried our own store. my boss had bought a very large Lincoln Cent collection, hundreds of tubed rolls by date and folders/albums/original rolls along with single coins by the hundreds. the task fell to me to inventory and get everything stocked. during the weeks it took I found a 1912 Matte Proof pushed into the "1912" hole in one of the albums.

the look is unmistakable.

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ya, I guess they got it right after all. I would love to hear their take on this thread, lol!

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,707 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OldIndianNutKase said:
    ... At the end of the day, the buyer still got a very nice coin for $56.00. And all the members who regularily diss GSC are now supporting GSC as listing the coin correctly. Never thought I would see that day. LMAO.

A stopped clock is right twice a day.

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree it's a very nice piece for the money spent. But I wouldn't go so far as to say this will be a regular deal with GSC.
    Just saying.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    EXOJUNKIEEXOJUNKIE Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OldIndianNutKase said:
    At the end of the day, the buyer still got a very nice coin for $56.00.
    OINK

Nice, but not that nice IMHO. The lamination below the date is distracting. It appears (in the blow ups) there could be some additional lamination in the hair and there are numerous minor hits/marks on the both the obverse and reverse. I'm not that impressed with the coin whether proof or business strike. Just my opinion.

I'm addicted to exonumia ... it is numismatic crack!

ANA LM

USAF Retired — 34 years of active military service! 🇺🇸
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

@slider23 said:
    I can not even imagine what it would be like to send in a $56 coin and have it come back at $40K. It started off as a wonderful story of a lucky purchase, then the coin can not stand the test of die marking of a proof coin. Appears a sad ending is in shore with the coin owner lashing out at the posters at the CT site, and the possible future news that PCGS has pulled the cert.

The cert # still works.

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Wmwood said:
    Is his high resolution image for $1 gonna beat the one @LanceNewmanOCC posted?

I hope not since it is a TrueView owned by PCGS. ;)

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options

Only $1? Why not $100 a peep? "Here ye here ye!! See the rare cherry picked 'peacock' matte proof cent that I got from Great Southern that graded as an extremely rare $40K coin!!!"

• Options
    deefree49deefree49 Posts: 282 ✭✭✭

I couldn't take it anymore and wrote to our hosts. Now if they take it down, the owner of "Peacock" will probably be furious with me. I couldn't just let this stand though. I'm thinking of the folks who actually put out serious cash for an authentic VDB proof. If anyone needs this straightened out, it is those folks.

One more thing about the grade of this cent; Insult to Injury because it really doesn't look like a 65 either! Looks to me more like a 64BN or even a 63BN with all the marks everywhere. This has to be a mechanical or clerical error. HAS to BE!!

Lincoln coin lover, especially Matte Proofs
  • Options
    slider23slider23 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭✭

When you look at the photos that Kyle posted, there is another major difference besides the rims. Check out the spacing difference between Lincoln's bust on the $56 coin vs the other proofs.

• Options
    gonzergonzer Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RTScott1978 said:

@keets said:
    I also tend to be leery of online posts that are grammatically flawed and don't "sound" right.

Here's his latest post on the CT thread:

**_"WOW...IM SPEECHLESS. ..♡♡♡♡♡

That's for all the kind words and to all the "Na Sayers" I know this is a too good to be true story but when your a God fearing man you get Blessing's. ...And to you guys that think Mr Hall don't have a Professional team you have officially lost you'll mind...This coin went through a panel of graders not just one person also my photos are from in a coin flip so go figure. RIM...!!!!!
    Also, I have No Affiliation with GSC and the guy that said their name must be the guy I talked to when I called down there...The coin will never be forsale so get Out Of You'll Feelings...Anyway, for the rest of you living in fear this site is called Coin Talk so why would I join if I had nothing to talk about...???? Also it's called being Blessed not Lucky...YIS....LP....!!!!!!!!

P.S.
    I WILL NOT POST ON HERE AGAIN FOR THE INTEREST OF MY FAVORITE PART OF THE COIN WORLD...Having Fun With My Coins...!!!!!"

_**
    God help us, we're doomed. (Translated here for the OP: "Gud hep uz, weer dumed")

• Options

It still can be found in the certification lookup but the image seems to be out of the coinfacts gallery. It may just be an anomaly because I think that happened another time I was looking stuff up...or...maybe they are in the process of review and/or taking it down. Hmmmm....?

• Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 10, 2017 4:38PM

@steveben said:
    oh wow...interesting. with so many skeptics...that will certainly hurt the value of the supposed 40K coin. i imagine any buyer for it would (or should) do their research.

Unsuspecting B%M dealers will buy the label.. Does PCGS make buyer good on misgraded coin ?
    A B%M would offer much less than $40,000

Owner of this coin Should think of selling quickly, before word spreads

• Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭

i expect Mr. Pelf also has a pet pig that he puts lipstick on.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options

@illini420 said:
    As others have mentioned, I also would not buy this coin as a proof based on any of the photos provided... shows NONE of the 1909 VDB proof diagnostics. Almost always a TrueView photo will show at least a couple of the diagnostics.

Looks like a mechanical error. And the submitter of the coin is now on notice that many (even some experts in the series) do not think it is a proof and is a mechanical error by PCGS. All grading companies, even PCGS, make mistakes occasionally and no one should profit from those mistakes. And if this turns out to not be a proof, PCGS will not pay out and they should not pay out. Even if the current owner sells it now and makes a bunch of money, he'll be giving it back down the road.

Of course, there's a chance that this is the real deal and that the photos just hide ALL of the diagnostics... but I wouldn't bet on that.

Beef would not be with the seller,, but with PCGS .Recall all the ebay listings which say coins listed grades are PCGS opinion , grade coins yourself ..

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 10, 2017 4:57PM

@gonzer said:

@RTScott1978 said:

@keets said:
    I also tend to be leery of online posts that are grammatically flawed and don't "sound" right.

Here's his latest post on the CT thread:

**_"WOW...IM SPEECHLESS. ..♡♡♡♡♡

That's for all the kind words and to all the "Na Sayers" I know this is a too good to be true story but when your a God fearing man you get Blessing's. ...And to you guys that think Mr Hall don't have a Professional team you have officially lost you'll mind...This coin went through a panel of graders not just one person also my photos are from in a coin flip so go figure. RIM...!!!!!
    Also, I have No Affiliation with GSC and the guy that said their name must be the guy I talked to when I called down there...The coin will never be forsale so get Out Of You'll Feelings...Anyway, for the rest of you living in fear this site is called Coin Talk so why would I join if I had nothing to talk about...???? Also it's called being Blessed not Lucky...YIS....LP....!!!!!!!!

P.S.
    I WILL NOT POST ON HERE AGAIN FOR THE INTEREST OF MY FAVORITE PART OF THE COIN WORLD...Having Fun With My Coins...!!!!!"

_**
    God help us, we're doomed. (Translated here for the OP: "Gud hep uz, weer dumed")

Banjo being picked in the background........

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    WmwoodWmwood Posts: 102 ✭✭

@deefree49 said:
    I couldn't take it anymore and wrote to our hosts. Now if they take it down, the owner of "Peacock" will probably be furious with me. I couldn't just let this stand though. I'm thinking of the folks who actually put out serious cash for an authentic VDB proof. If anyone needs this straightened out, it is those folks.

One more thing about the grade of this cent; Insult to Injury because it really doesn't look like a 65 either! Looks to me more like a 64BN or even a 63BN with all the marks everywhere. This has to be a mechanical or clerical error. HAS to BE!!

It would be so like this thread to have some poor old guy sitting there staring at his holder looking at MS63 BR thinking, "man I was sure this was a PR65, sure of it! Oh well"

• Options

Larry Pelf; PCGS wants the coin back for evaluation:

Good Afternoon,

This coin will need to come back to be reviewed. Please provide the following information:

Full Name

Shipping Address

Phone Number

I will be sending you step-by-step instructions on how to return this coin to PCGS to have the designation reviewed, I will also provide you with a pre-completed FedEx label to ship the coin back to PCGS for review under our account. This will all be free of charge and we will try to have these corrected and returned as quickly as possible.

Thank you,

http://www.pcgs.com/ezine/imagesforweb/email-sig-pcgs-shield-logo-line.png
    Alma (Stephanie) Salgado
    Customer Service Representative
    p 800.447.8848 | f 949.567.1253 | PCGS.com

• Options
    PandavabPandavab Posts: 960 ✭✭✭

As deefree49 said, the image isn't showing up on coinfacts image gallery for this date/series anymore (but the cert is still currently valid). I was trying to scroll down the listing to see if it (the "fake" '09 MPL) stood out from the rest, but was confused when I wasn't seeing anything jumping out. I realized after searching for the cert number it was just gone.

Comparing that coin to the other '09 MPLs, however, is just a night-and-day difference. It definitely is an error, and most likely a mechanical one, as I don't think 3 professional graders could've gotten something that wrong, especially for such a high value coin.

• Options
    stashstash Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭

@stash said:
    My bowl of ice cream melted, reading all these posts . It's not over, til the fat lady sings ...

@deefree49 said:

Good Afternoon,

This coin will need to come back to be reviewed. Please provide the following information:

Full Name

Shipping Address

Phone Number

I will be sending you step-by-step instructions on how to return this coin to PCGS to have the designation reviewed, I will also provide you with a pre-completed FedEx label to ship the coin back to PCGS for review under our account. This will all be free of charge and we will try to have these corrected and returned as quickly as possible.

Thank you,

Alma (Stephanie) Salgado

Looks like the fat lady sung .. Lol ...
    No Pun Intended, Stephanie .....

• Options
    BruceSBruceS Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stash said:

@stash said:

@deefree49 said:

Good Afternoon,

Full Name

Shipping Address

Phone Number

Thank you,

Alma (Stephanie) Salgado

Wow is all I can say. Talk about a roller coaster ride. He killed it himself, if only he kept his mouth shut and sat on it for a bit he might have cashed in. I almost feel bad for him, almost.

eBay ID-bruceshort978
    Successful BST:here and ATS, bumanchu, wdrob, hashtag, KeeNoooo, mikej61, Yonico, Meltdown, BAJJERFAN, Excaliber, lordmarcovan, cucamongacoin, robkool, bradyc, tonedcointrader, mumu, Windycity, astrotrain, tizofthe, overdate, rwyarmch, mkman123, Timbuk3,GBurger717, airplanenut, coinkid855 ,illini420, michaeldixon, Weiss, Morpheus, Deepcoin, Collectorcoins, AUandAG, D.Schwager.
  • Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, I can't speak for others here, but I own several petting zoos.

• Options

I think yall are being a little harsh on him, honestly. I know I would be thrilled thinking I just made $35,000+, only to realize it was all coming crashing down. I personally hope PCGS gives him a "consolation prize" of a couple grand or so as an apology.

• Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just hope that all on this thread that have been impugning our host's grading decision will not receive "special treatment" on their next submissions.

But then, you all can join the Great Southern Coin Collector Club....... Still LMAO.

OINK

• Options

It's in their holder, nothing they can do legally can force someone to return a coin to them for re-grading. PCGS probably has insurance policies to protect them against all types of snafus.

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OldIndianNutKase said:

But then, you all can join the Great Southern Coin Collector Club....... Still LMAO.

OINK

LOL--Sure, then you'll receive a whizzed, PVC coated, super-slider coin every month with the option to buy or send back. :#

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options

@BruceS said:

@stash said:

@stash said:

@deefree49 said:

Good Afternoon,

Full Name

Shipping Address

Phone Number

Thank you,

Alma (Stephanie) Salgado

Wow is all I can say. Talk about a roller coaster ride. He killed it himself, if only he kept his mouth shut and sat on it for a bit he might have cashed in. I almost feel bad for him, almost.

LOL.. You think he will return the coin ?? Now he will hold it for years until memory falls away

• Options

@bestday said:

@BruceS said:

@stash said:

@stash said:

@deefree49 said:

Good Afternoon,

Full Name

Shipping Address

Phone Number

Thank you,

Alma (Stephanie) Salgado

LOL.. You think he will return the coin ?? Now he will hold it for years until memory falls away

I was thinking the same thing. Would you return it? Idk, tough call with that much money on the table.

eBay ID-bruceshort978
    Successful BST:here and ATS, bumanchu, wdrob, hashtag, KeeNoooo, mikej61, Yonico, Meltdown, BAJJERFAN, Excaliber, lordmarcovan, cucamongacoin, robkool, bradyc, tonedcointrader, mumu, Windycity, astrotrain, tizofthe, overdate, rwyarmch, mkman123, Timbuk3,GBurger717, airplanenut, coinkid855 ,illini420, michaeldixon, Weiss, Morpheus, Deepcoin, Collectorcoins, AUandAG, D.Schwager.
  • Options

If PCGS contacts you and tells you it might be incorrect, and you sell it knowing that, would he be liable to refund the person when they find out?

• Options

@jwitten said:
    If PCGS contacts you and tells you it might be incorrect, and you sell it knowing that, would he be liable to refund the person when they find out?

If I read the thread correctly PCGS asked for his full name and contact info. Wouldn't they already know that? If not he could play dumb. Did he submit it himself? If so why would they need to contact him through a public website? Still some unanswered question, at least from my vantage point.

eBay ID-bruceshort978
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,888 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cert# is dead.
    Lance.

• Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭

@lkeigwin said:
    Cert# is dead.
    Lance.

Finally.

• Options

Yup, taken down. Wow.

• Options

Someone at our host is working late. :D

eBay ID-bruceshort978
  • Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭

Good luck selling it now.... no one in the world would buy a coin like that without checking out the cert#

Hope he still has $ left to buy a dictionary.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file