Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

And people say you shouldn't buy from Great Southern....

Comments

• Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭✭✭

Without the VDB diagnostics there is no way on earth this is a proof. The submitter got a gift. If he sells, the buyer will be extremely disappointed sometime in the future. The graders should know better.

• Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭

oh wow...interesting. with so many skeptics...that will certainly hurt the value of the supposed 40K coin. i imagine any buyer for it would (or should) do their research.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,917 ✭✭✭✭✭

I noticed the lamination (?) below the date in the Trueview image...I was looking for those Proof PUP's myself...EDS?

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BAJJERFAN said:

@boyernumismatics said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

@boyernumismatics said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

@boyernumismatics said:

@ricko said:
    That is incredibly awesome....what a great story and coin.... Good for that person... Cheers, RickO

I'll say whoever it is, is VERY happy to report that on their income taxes upon sale... LOL

Why would you assume that?> @lkeigwin said:

It doesn't look like an MPL to me either, FWIW. PR65 is very generous.

If it turns out to be MS, will PCGS call it a mechanical or make a big payout?
    Lance.

I'd sell it before PCGS changes their mind. I wonder if threads like this pique their interest enough to flag it in their database in case it is submitted for review or correction.

Well, simply because they bought the coin for $56...and the retail is $40,000.

I wouldn't assume that to be the case.

ASSUMING the coin is actually a PR, then i would stick to my affirmation claim.

Well, you may be happy to pay taxes on the gain, but that doesn't mean that the owner of the coin would.

And it's not a gain until you sell it of course

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@robec said:
    Without the VDB diagnostics there is no way on earth this is a proof. The submitter got a gift. If he sells, the buyer will be extremely disappointed sometime in the future. The graders should know better.

Yep. It's a gift, mistake or mechanical error. Regardless if this gets resold as a MPL its going to leave a mark.

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

As one famous poster on one of the forums say, would have to see it in hand as no image is good enough to make a real judgment. At some point maybe 3D images will be an option.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting thread for sure.

• Options
    WmwoodWmwood Posts: 102 ✭✭

High stakes coin drama!

This is like an episode of Treasure Hunters followed by CSI followed by ????

• Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe the US Mint reused the proof dies on business strikes for obverse or reverse....

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

2 things:

1) I would still tell people to NOT purchase from GSC...unless they (a) know what they are doing and/or (b) are prepared for any potential loss/problem and accept it

2) I think it likely that PCGS would call this a mechanical error and that someone, if this gets sold as a PR, is going to be quite upset at some point.

Even if it stays a PR and is actually one (I don't see it from the photo), doesn't mean that is a good reason for people to just run out and bid on GSC auctions.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

It sure doesn't have any of the markers for a proof. The stuff under the date could be strike thru or lamination??

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is that a big ol' FAT fingerprint on the obverse?

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't mean to ruffle feathers, but if it is reviewed and determined NOT to be a proof, our host's guarantee should come in to play. You can't pass off every single mistake as a mechanical error. Otherwise the guarantee doesn't really mean anything. You can spend $40k on positive advertising or zero on more than $40k worth of bad advertising.......

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree that if it turns out to not be one, they should make it right and pay, not just say, "oops! printing error!"

• Options

I noticed the lamination (?) below the date in the Trueview image...I was looking for those Proof PUP's myself...EDS?

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,706 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BryceM said:
    I don't mean to ruffle feathers, but if it is reviewed and determined NOT to be a proof, our host's guarantee should come in to play. You can't pass off every single mistake as a mechanical error. Otherwise the guarantee doesn't really mean anything. You can spend $40k on positive advertising or zero on more than $40k worth of bad advertising.......

Nevertheless, if the person that submitted the coin is on record having paid $56 for it, I don't think they're going to get a $40K check from PCGS if this was a mistake. We also don't know what kind of audit trail there is for this coin from grading through encapsulation. That would likely also come into play.

• Options

@lkeigwin said:
    What do you make of the damage under the date?
    Lance.

Planchet flaw.

• Options

It is a lot more believable that this is an input error than believing 3 graders missed all the diagnostics and the rounded rims.

• Options

@OldIndianNutKase said:
    All of skeptics would like to see a CAC bean on it........

OINK

I was just thinking about that. ;{

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

@messydesk said:

@lkeigwin said:
    What do you make of the damage under the date?
    Lance.

Planchet flaw.

I think so too. On a proof?
    Lance.

• Options
    georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭

@Wabbit2313 said:
    ... It is hard to imagine a 40K coin went out the door mechanical error.

I got a 1953-S Franklin MS65FBL Mechanical error once. PCGS called about a week later asking for me to return the coin for correction. Not quite a $40,000 coin, but well into 5 figures, so it CAN happen.

BTW, OP sure doesn't look like a proof to me either.

• Options

@georgiacop50 said:

@Wabbit2313 said:
    ... It is hard to imagine a 40K coin went out the door mechanical error.

I got a 1953-S Franklin MS65FBL Mechanical error once. PCGS called about a week later asking for me to return the coin for correction. Not quite a $40,000 coin, but well into 5 figures, so it CAN happen.

BTW, OP sure doesn't look like a proof to me either.

I think the first indication that this will happen will be the cert number no longer checking out. It's very likely that our hosts are looking into this coin as it is being discussed here.

• Options
    deefree49deefree49 Posts: 282 ✭✭✭
    edited February 9, 2017 12:37PM

I agree with georgiacop50...
    I think it is a misprint on the label.

Lincoln coin lover, especially Matte Proofs
  • Options

If it's a mechanical error, and I think it is, PCGS is not liable for anything more than their cost of an MS65 VDB.

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,366 ✭✭✭✭✭

Somebody scored HUGE. I remember looking at that raw GS coin. The color looked very funky to me.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options

@robec said:
    If it's a mechanical error, and I think it is, PCGS is not liable for anything more than their cost of an MS65 VDB.

I never got a payout for a mechanical error. I think PCGS's liability (if they assert it IS a mechanical) will be the cost of reholdering it and S/I both ways.
    Lance.

• Options

Is there anyway to prove it was a grading mistake and not a mechanical error? Has pcgs ever paid up on the promise, or could they always claim mechanical error?I gotta say I would not be happy if I was the owner and that happened.

• Options
    EXOJUNKIEEXOJUNKIE Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 9, 2017 12:51PM

I'm addicted to exonumia ... it is numismatic crack!

ANA LM

USAF Retired — 34 years of active military service! 🇺🇸
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 9, 2017 1:06PM

@jwitten said:
    Is there anyway to prove it was a grading mistake and not a mechanical error? Has pcgs ever paid up on the promise, or could they always claim mechanical error?I gotta say I would not be happy if I was the owner and that happened.

It would be even worse, if the owner quickly flipped it for $40K to some poor, unsuspecting fool. What is their culpability then??

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options

@jwitten said:

I imagine there's an audit trail of some sort through the entire process that would show when the mistake was made.

• Options

I believe PCGS will say it is a mechanical error and not a grader mistake. In their words...

"The key concept is how obvious the error is to the naked eye. If you can easily tell just by looking at the coin that the description on the holder is wrong, then the coin/holder combination is not covered by the PCGS Guarantee."

PCGS cites examples, including...

"Proofs shown as regular strikes and regular strikes shown as proofs. For example, if you had an obvious regular strike 1907 $2.5 gold piece, but the PCGS holder showed the coin as a proof, this coin would not be covered by the PCGS Guarantee as the difference between a regular strike and proof 1907 $2.5 is obvious."

I believe they will say it is plain as day that the coin is not a proof.
    Lance.

• Options
    deefree49deefree49 Posts: 282 ✭✭✭

My thought is that there won't be any payouts on this one. One thing, someone at PCGS is in line for an unpleasant meeting with their boss...Ouch!

Lincoln coin lover, especially Matte Proofs
  • Options
    AmazonXAmazonX Posts: 680 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 9, 2017 1:07PM

Puts tin foil hat on

Maybe this is a smart marketing ploy by GSC. They took a photo of the coin and sent it out for grading. Got this coin as a PF and figured they will drum up some buzz for their coin and their company. Suspicious to me that the owner made this coin and decided to create a new account on CoinTalk and then brag about it.

takes tin foil hat off

• Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Since each graders grade is logged, it will be very easy to see what they all graded the coin if someone inside decides to.

• Options

I seriously doubt that, but it was mentioned on the other board as well. Getting a great cherry pick like this would make MOST people want to brag about it.

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

This thread ran for quite a while before someone questioned whether it was a proof or not. We still don't have a conclusive answer, but some smaht people are raising some important concerns. In this case, the subtle findings and die markers might be obvious to MPL experts, but I'd guess the vast majority of collectors and dealers would simply trust the label.

What it was purchased for is irrelevant. Whether or not it was sold before this was noticed is irrelevant. The coin left our host's shop in that label and plausibly could be exactly what they indicated it was. I agree that obvious label errors that 90% of collectors would immediately notice shouldn't be subject to the guarantee. Advertisers shouldn't be required to sell new cars for $100 when blatant typos make it to the newspaper. However, this coin has outstanding detail, pretty nice rims, nice color, and conceivably could easily be mistaken for a proof.

• Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another couple of questions I would have for the owner:

-What service level did he choose?
    -Was there an added charge for the coins correct service level being valued at 40K?

He bought the coin 12/18 and is first bragging about PCGS today. That would indicate to me it was not Walkthough or Express service level. If he was charged, that would indicate to me that this is not mechanical error. Someone said hey, this is a 40K coin here, pay up!

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

wow, this is intriguing to say the least. my only knowledge of these is the diagnostics that are discussed here and what I know a "Proof" looks like. if the first "expert" couldn't tell from pictures that are good enough and Brian Wagner says no I would be skeptical of the assigned grade/designation. I also tend to be leery of online posts that are grammatically flawed and don't "sound" right.

I don't think this story is over and I hope PCGS is reading this thread. if it is an error of any kind they should correct it pronto. if/when the coin heads to a major auction I assume it will be given scrutiny.

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 9, 2017 1:38PM

@BLee23 said:
    If you do some digging, you will find that this is far from the first very nice pick from GSC. I believe one of our fellow forum members cherried two PR Buffalo Nickels being sold as business strikes on two separate occasions.

Yes. GSC needs to send one of their experts back to a remedial course in identifying matte proof US coinage. It might take a few more noteworthy cherry picks for them to finally wake up.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would also think that internal records should be produced on a mistake of this magnitude. There should be a process of ascertaining if a business is 100% forthcoming on graders' judgments, finalizer or other quality control people in the loop. I would not trust any business on what they claim is a "mechanical error" when it is not in their interest to take a big hit.

• Options
    lusterloverlusterlover Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭✭

@deefree49 said:

The lamination error under the date isn't a complete disqualifier, but proofs are highly detailed and any with mistakes weren't supposed to be passed by the medal coiner.

I would put more weight on this. I've yet to see an MPL with a planchet flaw. Given the relatively small amount that were minted, I can't see coiner missing this.

• Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭✭✭

IMO he got what PCGS is going to call a "mechanical error" -- looks like a business strike to me all day long. :scream:

-Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,868 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WingedLiberty1957 said:
    My 1909 VDB looks more Prooflike (esp the rims) ...
    And it's a rock solid Biz Strike
    MS65RB

maybe you should crack it out and send to greatsouthern to clean it and give it the mpl 'sparkle'

the coin is already in a registry set

what a blunder - even though a mechanical error, the cointalk thread makes it sound like the guy is a total newbie - how would they know better than PCGS ????

• Options
    JKTJKT Posts: 492 ✭✭✭

Gorgeous coin, but I totally agree that its a "mechanical error". I had the same thing happen on two different Lincolns in the same submission about 8 months ago. Both were Lincoln proofs (not matte) that were certified and graded as "MS".

Our hosts are 100% the best in the business....by a very large margin in my humble opinion....but mistakes do happen and everyone makes them from time to time.

Always looking for tougher PSA 10's of Nolan Arenado, Alex Bregman, Mookie Betts, Francisco Lindor, and Mike Trout.

• Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

One out of 40,000 probably :)

MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file