Home U.S. Coin Forum

Dan Carrs latest

Comments

• pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ZoidMeister said:
    I tried my usual "one of everything" but Chase Visa didn't agree with me . . . .

Z

Right there with you. I wanted them all.

• NickpattonNickpatton Posts: 363 ✭✭✭✭

@LindyS said:
    DC MM pair arrived a few minutes ago...

Long story short I am HAPPY & Happy Saint Patty's Day !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I knowed they wuz gonna be good‼️‼️‼️‼️‼️🎯🎯👍👍👍👀‼️‼️‼️‼️Can’t wait four mine................. but I guess I’ll have to ‼️‼️Won’t be long‼️

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,145 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 17, 2022 6:46PM

Our upcoming cruise overpowered my urge for some of the aforementioned items. 😔

Oh well, my wife would not have been so agreeable out on the seas if I would have.

Thanks to those who shared! 😃

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

WARNING! Don't do this trade until you read my thread: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/comment/13198955#pagetop

I would love to hear his side of the story. But I doubt that'll happen.

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• MrweaseluvMrweaseluv Posts: 218 ✭✭✭✭✭

I made the mistake of looking over at Moonlight mint again... Just couldn't resist these (got 2) I'm sure their posted already, but I just saw em for the 1st time tonight (wish i could afford the gold lol)

You may soar with the eagles, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!.
    https://www.cointalk.com/media/albums/the-2020-20-large-cent-set.1855/

• AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LindyS said:
    DC MM pair arrived a few minutes ago...

Long story short I am HAPPY & Happy Saint Patty's Day !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow - so no rims on this Saint? Can’t grasp it until it arrives…

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • alefzeroalefzero Posts: 958 ✭✭✭✭✭

Got my latest Carr submission (dropped at Long Beach) grades from the other alley. Lots of typical 69s.

1792 TOKEN DAN CARR CHAIN CENT GOLD WEIGHT 11.74 GRAMS 69 (mintage = 6)
    1884 CC TOKEN D CARR CANCELLED MINT DIES STRUCK 10% O/C ON USA 1884 $ 68 (mintage = 28)
    1921 S TOKEN D CARR MORGAN $ 100TH ANNIV CANCELLED REV DIE COPPER 69 RED (mintage = 15)
    1921 S TOKEN D CARR MORGAN $ 100TH ANNIV CANCELLED REV DIE SILVER 58 (mintage = 16 antiqued circ)
    2015 D TOKEN DAN CARR CLARK GRUBER $1000 1/2 Oz .999 COLORADO GOLD 69 (mintage = 11)
    2016 MEDAL D CARR KNIGHTS OF THE COIN TABLE WIZARD COPPER 69 RED (mintage = 20)
    2019 MEDAL D CARR KNIGHTS OF THE COIN TABLE WITCH ANTIQUED BRASS 67 (mintage = 32)
    2020 MEDAL DAN CARR WILSON DOLLAR FLIPOVER DBL STRUCK 69 RED (mintage < 5)

• Mr Lindy Mr Lindy Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Silver Obverse Die used is 34mm & Gold Obverse Die is 30mm.
    Usually his Silver & Gold issues are struck with same Obverse die.
    This year's pair may be unique in Carr Catalogue ?

@Mrweaseluv said:
    I made the mistake of looking over at Moonlight mint again... Just couldn't resist these (got 2) I'm sure their posted already, but I just saw em for the 1st time tonight (wish i could afford the gold lol)

• edgaredgar Posts: 886 ✭✭✭✭

@LindyS said:

Ultra High Relief,
    Dan explained that "Canada 1-troy-oz gold Maple Leaf coins are 9995 or 9999, but more importantly, they are smaller in diameter and thicker than most other 1-troy-oz gold coins. The thickness allows for higher relief.

The new ones (silver and gold) are about 0.050" relief height. Also, the new gold one is a little smaller in diameter at 30mm and so that has the effect of "concentrating" the same relief height in a smaller area (which makes the sides of the devices steeper).

For comparison, a typical Morgan Dollar has a relief height of about 0.015""

(l8-)>>

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LindyS said:

@Mrweaseluv said:

What are you considering to be unique? A pair of issues with:

• same design
    • different compositions
    • different denominations
    • different diameters
  • Mr Lindy Mr Lindy Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry I am confusing. Typically Dan uses same obverse die to strike different metals. I actually desire different metals produced with same die as I am an odd duck. So without research i claim the 2022 silver & gold issues are unique, made with different sized obverse dies. > @Zoins said:

@LindyS said:

@Mrweaseluv said:

What are you considering to be unique? A pair of issues with:

• same design
    • different compositions
    • different denominations
    • different diameters

Is this one real ⁉️⁉️⁉️Never seen one

@Nickpatton said:
    Is this one real ⁉️⁉️⁉️Never seen one .....oh,well,.........wouldn’t let me screenshot from eBay.....it was a 2018 big owl posted on eBay from someone I’ve never bought from for $219 ... something looked a little funny to me ‼️

edited March 19, 2022 4:54PM

@Nickpatton said:

@Nickpatton said:
    Is this one real ⁉️⁉️⁉️Never seen one .....oh,well,.........wouldn’t let me screenshot from eBay.....it was a 2018 big owl posted on eBay from someone I’ve never bought from for $219 ... something looked a little funny to me ‼️

In 2018 Dan produced this octagon owl: http://www.dc-coin.com/coloradogoldrushsesquicentennialpioneergold1troyoz999satinfinish-1-1-1-3-1-1-1-1-1-1-2-1-1-1.aspx

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

edited March 19, 2022 5:18PM

@Nickpatton said:

@Nickpatton said:

The semi-prooflike finish might be what looks different in that listing's photos. Compare it with this satin finish 2017 Octagon:

Shameless promo: Before you buy the 2018, see my ebay listing at https://www.ebay.com/itm/224869539428

That isn’t the one I saw...... it was a 2018 proof like 1 and half ounce big owl...... it almost looked too good to be real‼️> @COCollector said:

@Nickpatton said:

@Nickpatton said:

The semi-prooflike finish might be what looks different in that listing's photos. Compare it with this satin finish 2017 Octagon:

Shameless promo: Before you buy the 2018, see my ebay listing at https://www.ebay.com/itm/224869539428

That isn’t the one I saw...... it was a 2018 proof like 1 and half ounce big owl...... it almost looked too good to be real‼️> @COCollector said:

@Nickpatton said:

@Nickpatton said:

In 2018 Dan produced this octagon owl: http://www.dc-coin.com/coloradogoldrushsesquicentennialpioneergold1troyoz999satinfinish-1-1-1-3-1-1-1-1-1-1-2-1-1-1.aspx

that’s the one‼️‼️👍👍🎯‼️‼️

edited March 19, 2022 6:49PM

@Nickpatton said:

@Nickpatton said:

@Nickpatton said:

I posted the 2017 Octagon photo so you could compare its satin finish with the 2018's semi-PL finish. Why? Because I thought the semi-PL finish was the reason you thought it looked funny.

Enjoy the hunt!

@Nickpatton said:

@Nickpatton said:

@Nickpatton said:

that’s the one‼️‼️👍👍🎯‼️‼️

Yes, the 1.5 oz Silver Octagon Tokens are very cool. Here's the 2015 Reverse side:

@COCollector said:
    Yes, the 1.5 oz Silver Octagon Tokens are very cool. Here's the 2015 Reverse side:

This is one my favorite designs from Dan. He picked a good one for this iconic series.

• JBKJBK Posts: 15,286 ✭✭✭✭✭

Picked up the 2021 COVID medal yesterday. Glad to see it back in stock so I could order one. :p

edited March 19, 2022 7:50PM

@JBK said:
    Picked up the 2021 COVID medal yesterday. Glad to see it back in stock so I could order one. :p

These are awesome!

I'm hoping Dan makes a 2022 so I can have a 3 year set, or as long as it takes.

@Zoins said:

@JBK said:

These are awesome!

Maybe instead of "The world shut down" it can read "The world re-opened".

Or maybe that's wishful thinking, or tempting fate. :#

@JBK said:

@Zoins said:

@JBK said:

These are awesome!

Any mask rule still in effect now?

@Zoins said:

@JBK said:

@Zoins said:

@JBK said:

These are awesome!

Any mask rule still in effect now?

I think there might be a few local ones somewhere, and the airlines still have it for now. :/

Wow, mintage numbers on the Gold 2022 Ultra High Relief Winged Saint have jumped. Now showing 22 minted. Turning out to be a popular issue in gold.

edited March 20, 2022 4:50AM

@pcgscacgold said:
    Wow, mintage numbers on the Gold 2022 Ultra High Relief Winged Saint have jumped. Now showing 22 minted. Turning out to be a popular issue in gold.

It's an amazing coin! It's definitely a coin that dreams are made of!

@Zoins said:

@pcgscacgold said:

@Zoins said:

@pcgscacgold said:

I agree. I was just surprised so many are sold. By comparison the 1/4 oz Proof Like gold piece shows only 6 minted and the 1/10 oz is at 7.

I thought about the 1/4 oz but having no other years of that coin would make it a odd ball for me. Now if the 1/2 oz and 1 oz Proof Like are made it would make a nice year set. Of course there is always the chance the 2.5 oz Octagon gets made. Now that would take precedence over the others for me.

edited March 20, 2022 10:18AM

@Zoins said:

@pcgscacgold said:

A bit more than the (1906) ASG_MCMVI_Au1

34mm, 999 gold Satin Sold Out 19 $1,750

(l8-)>>

edited March 20, 2022 8:37AM

@edgar said:

@Zoins said:

@pcgscacgold said:

A bit better than the (1906) ASG_MCMVI_Au1

34mm, 999 gold Satin Sold Out 19 $1,750

I think they are both great and amazing, but with different focus. The MCMVI is closer to what ASG's design with the rays and no motto, while the MMXXII shows off Dan's artistry with the stars. It depends on if your mind is more in MCMVI or MMXXII.

If one is into pure artistry, I do think the MMXXII will be amazing because of how incredible the $100 unions look.

• TomBTomB Posts: 21,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

I own one of the (1906)ASG_MMVI_os1 pieces (over-struck using a genuine ASG double eagle and having TWENTY DOLLARS on the reverse) and thought the new offering of (2022)ASG_MMXXII_G1 pieces (over-struck using a genuine Canadian Maple Leaf) would make a great two-medal set so I ordered one when they first came out. It hasn't arrived yet, but when it does I might take images of them side-by-side so folks can compare them. The common theme of the two, in my view, is the ASG inspired or derived design on both sides coupled with the fact that they are over-struck over legitimately issued US and Canadian mint gold products.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

@TomB said:
    I own one of the (1906)ASG_MMVI_os1 pieces (over-struck using a genuine ASG double eagle and having TWENTY DOLLARS on the reverse) and thought the new offering of (2022)ASG_MMXXII_G1 pieces (over-struck using a genuine Canadian Maple Leaf) would make a great two-medal set so I ordered one when they first came out. It hasn't arrived yet, but when it does I might take images of them side-by-side so folks can compare them. The common theme of the two, in my view, is the ASG inspired or derived design on both sides coupled with the fact that they are over-struck over legitimately issued US and Canadian mint gold products.

I hope to one day track down one of those (1906)ASG_MMVI_os1 pieces and the 1934 Saint to go with the (2022)ASG_MMXXII_G1 piece. A tall order but could make it even tougher if I included both 1861 Confederate overstrikes.

• TomBTomB Posts: 21,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck on the 1906 and 1934 ASGs, they are an ambitious goal.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

@Bullsitter said:
    O/S on a 1911-D.

Nice, thanks for sharing.

• alefzeroalefzero Posts: 958 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pcgscacgold said:

@Zoins said:

@pcgscacgold said:

@Zoins said:

@pcgscacgold said:

I agree. I was just surprised so many are sold. By comparison the 1/4 oz Proof Like gold piece shows only 6 minted and the 1/10 oz is at 7.

I thought about the 1/4 oz but having no other years of that coin would make it a odd ball for me. Now if the 1/2 oz and 1 oz Proof Like are made it would make a nice year set. Of course there is always the chance the 2.5 oz Octagon gets made. Now that would take precedence over the others for me.

I am guessing that he simply began minting the UHR orders, reflected in the number. The others are probably ordered up but not yet produced. Those are production numbers.

I accidentally didn't order the UHR gold on my initial order and had to order it a couple days later. Might mean that will ship soon, as it is separate.

The mintage for those also might be relatively high in the end, I suspect, due to the spending out there this year.

• Question about shipping-As a recent first time buyer of Dan Carr pieces- do they send out an email saying item was shipped or do they just show up? Thanks for any info

@Iamthewalrus53 said:
    Question about shipping-As a recent first time buyer of Dan Carr pieces- do they send out an email saying item was shipped or do they just show up? Thanks for any info

I usually log into my account and the order will be marked as shipped rather than payment received. If you like stamps, you will love seeing the package when it arrives.

@Iamthewalrus53 said:
    Question about shipping-As a recent first time buyer of Dan Carr pieces- do they send out an email saying item was shipped or do they just show up? Thanks for any info

If you subscibe to USPS Informed Delivery, It should show as inbound package from Loveland Colorado, then with the tracking number, you can get email updates.

(l8-)>>

@dcarr said:

@pcgscacgold said:

@Zoins said:

@pcgscacgold said:

@Zoins said:

@pcgscacgold said:

The disparity in the apparent mintages between the smaller Clark Gruber 1/10-oz and 1/4-oz compared to the larger Winged Saint-Gaudens is because I just finished minting all of the latter that I will need to fill current orders, plus a few extra. Later today I plan to strike what I need on the smaller Clark Gruber issues. So I will update those mintages soon after.

You created an amazing coin in that Winged Saint Gauden. The Peace Dollar is as exceptional. True treasures.

The 2.5 oz gold octagon is going to be awesome!

Looks like the Winged Saint mintage is still ahead of both 1/10 oz and 1/4 oz.

• dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

The only years that I have offered a 2.5-troy-oz gold octagon were 2015, 2016, 2017.
    All three of those have a mintage of 6 or 7 pieces each.

@dcarr said:

@Zoins said:

The only years that I have offered a 2.5-troy-oz gold octagon were 2015, 2016, 2017.
    All three of those have a mintage of 6 or 7 pieces each.

Will you be offering one this year?

I was interpreting the line for CG_QE_2022_PL to mean they will be struck this year.

• 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Hey Big Spender, Can You Lend Me a Dime?" Ouch, nice that you got it like that. LOL

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK , I like your hard times idea, especially surrounding the price of Gas...

They are building a new station near me and the Digital Sign was defaulted to all 9s - 9.99 across the board which got me thinking...

** what happened if gas tops $10, there isn't an extra digit space on the gas sign and probably 99.9% of all of them.**

Its like Y2K all over again!?! What will be do!?! Will the gas prices default to zero!? (Probably not) but how about a Hard times token commemorating the day the gas signs broke...

The token could be made of Silver and the reverse could have a slogan like "With double digit gas prices, This silver will still buy as many gallons it would have 50 years ago" or something like that.

It's all about what the people want...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file