Home U.S. Coin Forum

Dan Carrs latest

Comments

• edgaredgar Posts: 886 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 28, 2022 11:42PM

I believe those (standard) capsules are 4.5mm deep, but Dan indicated that "The new ones (silver and gold) are about 0.050" relief height. Also, the new gold one is a little smaller in diameter at 30mm and so that has the effect of "concentrating" the same relief height in a smaller area (which makes the sides of the devices steeper).

For comparison, a typical Morgan Dollar has a relief height of about 0.015".

If the High Relief Peace is overstruck on previous Peace Dollars, then the capsule depth may be ok.

Millimeters vs inches.

(l8-)>>

• asherjackson7asherjackson7 Posts: 6
    edited March 29, 2022 10:15AM

One more question regarding D. Carr coins and capsules... The majority of my regular D. Carr Peace Dollars (not the 2 oz, but the regular overstrikes) do not fit in the 38.1 mm Air-Tite capsules that I use for all my regular/original Peace Dollars. Anyone else have this experience? Apologies if this has already been discussed, I'm somewhat new to this forum. Is there a brand of capsule that might be better for them? They don't want to fully seat in the capsule base, they're just a little too big.

• TomBTomB Posts: 21,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pretty cool, @SPalladino!

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• @SPalladino said:
    @asherjackson7 -
    I have used the Lighthouse holders, and custom cut the insert to 50mm.

I really like that idea!

• JBKJBK Posts: 15,286 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some nice presentations here.

• pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here are a couple quick photos with no sun out today. Appears to have a die crack or something on the reverse from the start of States all the way to America. Also on obverse through out Liberty. Wondering if others have that too?

• Mr Lindy Mr Lindy Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

Canadian Maple Leaf Ghosties

@pcgscacgold said:
    Here are a couple quick photos with no sun out today. Appears to have a die crack or something on the reverse from the start of States all the way to America. Also on obverse through out Liberty. Wondering if others have that too?

@LindyS said:
    Canadian Maple Leaf Ghosties

@pcgscacgold said:

Yes there is a ghost image from Maple Leaf but I am wondering if all of these have the crack that runs along the edge. I don't believe a Maple Leaf is cracked like that.

• LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pcgscacgold

I’m gonna guess that the “crack” you are seeing is the former edge of the maple leaf. Looks to me like the former edge of the host coin filled the space to the new edge. Also The “ghosting” or the previous coin artifacts perfectly say 1oz Gold in your picture, so your coin actually says it twice!!

Are these slightly larger than a maple?

It's all about what the people want...

• 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can we have a closeup of Ms. Liberty's head and face?
    Many thanks

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.

@LukeMarshall said:
    @pcgscacgold

I’m gonna guess that the “crack” you are seeing is the former edge of the maple leaf. Looks to me like the former edge of the host coin filled the space to the new edge. Also The “ghosting” or the previous coin artifacts perfectly say 1oz Gold in your picture, so your coin actually says it twice!!

Thanks for the info.

It’s a Beautiful coin in hand.

edited March 29, 2022 5:33PM

@LukeMarshall said:
    @pcgscacgold

@pcgscacgold said:

@LukeMarshall said:
    @pcgscacgold

Thanks for the info.

It’s a Beautiful coin in hand.

Is It Medallic turn? Maybe I should have said medal.

It looks amazing, I’m staring at the feather detail on both sides!

• alefzeroalefzero Posts: 958 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ZoidMeister said:

I love the presentation of those Escher stairs. I was going to buy them all in real time form the site. Now I wish I had. Very cool.

Thanks for the detailed explanation @dcarr , I'm already looking forward to next years (and am hopeful I can track down a prior date example at Central States or the ANA).

This one is an outstanding treasure and a new favorite for me.

• NickpattonNickpatton Posts: 363 ✭✭✭✭

@ZoidMeister said:

These holders are kool..... where did you get them from ⁉️⁉️⁉️⁉️⁉️

• 53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭

@Iamthewalrus53 said:
    Hi all as a new poster on this forum I was impressed by all the positive remarks made concerning Dan Carr products. So I pulled the trigger and made a first time purchase of a St Gaudens silver and a 1936 peace dollar. Just received them in the mail and WOW are they beautiful! Will definitely buy more in the future and thanks to all the forum contributors who convinced me to purchase them

Well, I'm sure you're in for quite a lot of fulfillment collecting these. If you're like many here, Dan's works are habit forming.

You're also quite fortunate to have purchased the '36 Peace!

HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
  • Mr Lindy Mr Lindy Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

Edgar, you are a Numis~God !
    I dig your cache of goodies.
    We are lucky the have Carr Art to enhance our Exonumia pursuits.
    Daniel has made collecting stuck items as thoughtful things of joy for me.
    What's next ??? I do not know.
    I never know, sometimes I guess, occasionally I am right, but really I just wait for & wonder...

edited March 30, 2022 6:24PM

Even though the UHRDE is SP or MS, and my Winged Saint is almost PL, I believe the releif appears deeper, even as compared to the PL UHRDEs. I really do appreciate his work!

(l8-)>>

@edgar said:
    I believe that Dan has rivaled the "Ultra High Relief" appearance of the US Mint... sorry for the pictures.

The detail really shows (even though the others are slabbed), except no belly button :D
    Great job!

Yours turned out excellent. Great collection of gold there.

• ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Nickpatton said:

@ZoidMeister said:

These holders are kool..... where did you get them from ⁉️⁉️⁉️⁉️⁉️

China

Z

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

@edgar - lovely collection of 1oz Gold High reliefs!

Thanks to everyone else showing off their new pieces as well,

and

Honorable mention to @Twobitcollector and of course @ZoidMeister for their self slab displays... looking great!

• JBKJBK Posts: 15,286 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see the 2021 COVID token is now sold out. Mine arrived a few days ago. I haven even had the time to open it yet. :#

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gluggos pics of the 36 are excellent! Thanks for sharing. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon, NickPatton, ProfLiz, Twobitcollector,Jesbroken

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 31, 2022 5:00PM

@JBK said:
    I see the 2021 COVID token is now sold out. Mine arrived a few days ago. I haven even had the time to open it yet. :#

I'm ready for the 2022 COVID token! :D

• jshaulisjshaulis Posts: 815 ✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@JBK said:

I'm ready for the 2022 COVID token! :D

I would like to sign up for the 5yr enrollment, hopefully it doesn't sell out!

Successful transactions with forum members commoncents05, dmarks, Coinscratch, Bullsitter, DCW, TwoSides2aCoin, Namvet69 (facilitated for 3rd party), Tetromibi, ProfLizMay, MASSU2, MWallace, Bruce7789, Twobitcollector, 78saen, U1chicago, Rob41281

edited March 31, 2022 6:03PM

@Bullsitter said:
    An old friend of ours, Gluggo, sent some photos of his 1936 Peace. He's getting pretty dang good at taking photos.

Great photos from Gluggo!

It was a lot of fun doing minting with him and Dan!

We really need a Moonlight Mint Open House get together!

edited April 1, 2022 3:01AM

Wow, I just ran across this on Dan's site! This is awesome, and I didn't know it existed until now.

Does anyone here own this?

http://www.dc-coin.com/1grabenercoinpressmedallion3.aspx

Here's another great one from Dan's site!

http://www.dc-coin.com/10grabenercoinpressmedallion2.aspx

• TomBTomB Posts: 21,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, ebay has a lot of eyes and I would think that at least some of those eyes had/have no idea that you can buy directly from the source. Also, it only takes one...

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

@Bullsitter said:
    This was listed a couple of hours ago and just sold on ebay........say what????

That is insane.

• dcstuffdcstuff Posts: 41 ✭✭✭

I WILL SELL MINE FOR THAT KIND OF MONEY

@TomB said:
    Well, ebay has a lot of eyes and I would think that at least some of those eyes had/have no idea that you can buy directly from the source. Also, it only takes one...

That source dried up same day as released. ANACS has mine now, that'll prevent me from being tempted.

(l8-)>>

edited April 1, 2022 8:25PM

@Nickpatton said:
    Dan’s the man‼️‼️‼️‼️‼️Just got this back from ANACS‼️‼️👍👍👀‼️‼️‼️

These came back today from ANACS. These are the Gathering reverse that Dan did for Jeff Shevlin, which are very rare in nickel ....... Dan’s minted items says that only 9 of the Wilson obverse, and only 9 of the “ Coin Angel “ obverse. Jeff’s website says that only 7 of each obverse in nickel were minted , I’m thinking because something else was done to the other two of each kind........ (this is guessing because I don’t know)..... maybe select- plate or toning of some kind. Anyway, Dan’s the Man‼️‼️‼️👍🎯
    👀‼️......and so is Jeff👍‼️👀🎯‼️

@Nickpatton said:
    These came back today from ANACS. These are the Gathering reverse that Dan did for Jeff Shevlin, which are very rare in nickel ....... Dan’s minted items says that only 9 of the Wilson obverse, and only 9 of the “ Coin Angel “ obverse. Jeff’s website says that only 7 of each obverse in nickel were minted , I’m thinking because something else was done to the other two of each kind........ (this is guessing because I don’t know)..... maybe select- plate or toning of some kind. Anyway, Dan’s the Man‼️‼️‼️👍🎯
    👀‼️......and so is Jeff👍‼️👀🎯‼️

reverse

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

My second ASG arrived today. Love the UHR. The bonus is the brilliant satin surfaces are noticeably different and most attractive to me. 2 pics to view the diff. Thanks Dan. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon, NickPatton, ProfLiz, Twobitcollector,Jesbroken

• SPalladinoSPalladino Posts: 864 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:
    I can't match your guys photo skills so just some IPhone pics.

Actually, I like the outdoor shots...a nice twist!

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
    - DIVa (Designated Ike Varieties) Project co-lead and attributor

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file