Home U.S. Coin Forum

Dan Carrs latest

Comments

• SPalladinoSPalladino Posts: 864 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said: :D
    Or maybe a miniature Ike or Peace dollar scaled down in size by the % of lost value since originally minted. Or, full size with the denomination changed to show the current value of a dollar adjusted for inflation.

An inflation calculator has $7 currently approximately the same buying power as a 1971 Ike dollar.
    Based on the suggestion, the 1971 38.1mm diameter be reduced to about 5.4mm as 2022 hard times piece. (and I stay away from dimes because I can't read 'em without loupes :D )
    Or, the alternative suggestion would put a 2022 hard times Ike at about a 14 cent denomination.

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
    - DIVa (Designated Ike Varieties) Project co-lead and attributor

...and Peace dollars are even worse off:
    An inflation calculator has $15.85 currently approximately the same buying power as a 1921 Peace dollar.
    Based on the suggestion, the 1921 38.1mm diameter be reduced to about 2.4mm as 2022 hard times token.
    Or, the alternative suggestion would put a 2022 hard times Peace at about a 6 cent denomination.
    :o

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
  • JBKJBK Posts: 15,286 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SPalladino said:

Or maybe a miniature Ike or Peace dollar scaled down in size by the % of lost value since originally minted. Or, full size with the denomination changed to show the current value of a dollar adjusted for inflation.

An inflation calculator has $7 currently approximately the same buying power as a 1971 Ike dollar.
    Based on the suggestion, the 1971 38.1mm diameter be reduced to about 5.4mm as 2022 hard times piece. (and I stay away from dimes because I can't read 'em without loupes :D )
    Or, the alternative suggestion would put a 2022 hard times Ike at about a 14 cent denomination.

Thx for doing the math. Either (or both?) of those scenarios are what I was trying to suggest, but I couldn't quite communicate it as well as you did.

Both of your specified versions sound great. Maybe two HTTs, then?

• edgaredgar Posts: 886 ✭✭✭✭

@LukeMarshall said:
    @JBK , I like your hard times idea, especially surrounding the price of Gas...

They are building a new station near me and the Digital Sign was defaulted to all 9s - 9.99 across the board which got me thinking...

** what happened if gas tops $10, there isn't an extra digit space on the gas sign and probably 99.9% of all of them.**

Many of us young'ns remember when the tenth of cent dial wasn't always stuck at "9". That was when the pumps were all analog and only went to 99.9 cent. When the gas price reached a dollar, they just marked a "1" on the pump/sign next to the price until they got the "new" digital pumps.

(l8-)>>

• COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hard times? Think world events... in winter, millions of women & children fleeing their homes from Putin's "not-a-war".

Maybe take a page from the USMint playbook: Include a surcharge that's donated to a worthwhile organization... I'm guessing UNICEF would be receptive to the idea. BTW, it's their 75th year.

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

Or, people could just donate directly to those organizations. Why add to DCarr's workload? ;)

• NickpattonNickpatton Posts: 363 ✭✭✭✭

@Bullsitter said:
    O/S on a 1911-D.

Damn, you must be Bullsittin’ me‼️‼️👍😱🎯👀‼️👀‼️⁉️‼️
    Awesome, Bullsitter‼️‼️👍👀‼️‼️🎯‼️‼️‼️‼️‼️‼️‼️

• OrlenaOrlena Posts: 301 ✭✭✭

Soooo I have never heard of Dan Carr, but based on some comments and pictures I signed on today and looked over the inventory. Lots of very special designs and nice craftsmanship. Took the plunge and bought a silver UHR St. G out of curiosity to see what his coins look like in hand.

What category of the hobby does this fall into - maybe just fun and artistic quality?

@Orlena said:
    Took the plunge and bought a silver UHR St. G out of curiosity to see what his coins look like in hand.

I doubt that you'll be disappointed, and fear that you will be become addicted. ;)

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
  • alefzeroalefzero Posts: 958 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:
    The 2.5 oz gold octagon is going to be awesome!

It certainly will be. The big question will be the release price. At that much gold, it is difficult to put a big premium above spot. The lesser ones seem to be pricing around $3k/oz. That is a big demotivator in reselling, which is why few make it to the secondary market. Even the low mintage ones. If you put them on eBay with a small premium above cost to cover the seller fees with OBO, people will be sending offers 5% in back of spot and similar.

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 21, 2022 7:20PM

@Orlena said:
    Soooo I have never heard of Dan Carr, but based on some comments and pictures I signed on today and looked over the inventory. Lots of very special designs and nice craftsmanship. Took the plunge and bought a silver UHR St. G out of curiosity to see what his coins look like in hand.

I predict you will love it.

The proof-like St. Gaudens are among his best work in my opinion.

What category of the hobby does this fall into - maybe just fun and artistic quality?

That's where I would put it. His work certainly doesn't fall into filling holes category.

• LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Orlena said:

Collecting medals and tokens is Exonumia.

Daniel Carr makes some fine designs, and collecting them can absolutely be fun, whether that be from finding some of the various coin club medals he did in the past to this latest Ultra High Relief that is based off an earlier design of the St Gaudens Double Eagle.

The mintage catalog is absolute gold to see previous designs and mintage numbers.

Congrats on the find!

It's all about what the people want...

@Orlena said:

Dan Carr is about fun..... wise investments.... rare unique kool pieces...... and just plain awesome stuff without the hassles of the USMINT...... kooler products ‼️‼️👍‼️🎯‼️‼️‼️‼️

• pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Orlena said:

You will enjoy Daniels's work. I used to collect high grade Peace Dollars and Walking Liberty Half Dollars (but now only collect Pre-33 gold). After seeing a few of Daniels restrikes of those two series I was hooked. I have only been around this group for about 6 months. I think you will find it is one of the most positive threads on this forum. A nice group of people to "talk" with. Best of luck.

edited March 22, 2022 4:02AM

@Orlena said:
    Soooo I have never heard of Dan Carr, but based on some comments and pictures I signed on today and looked over the inventory. Lots of very special designs and nice craftsmanship. Took the plunge and bought a silver UHR St. G out of curiosity to see what his coins look like in hand...

Design, craftsmanship... stick around, you'll see there's a LOT more that makes Dan Carr products so desirable.

BTW, did you notice all the detailed info describing the item you purchased? In addition to the sales page, you'll also find meticulously documented Mintage Statistics for your item on this page.

This is a huge plus that I've never seen from any other Mint.

And Dan keeps all his Mintage Statistics continuously updated.

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

@alefzero said:

@Zoins said:
    The 2.5 oz gold octagon is going to be awesome!

It certainly will be. The big question will be the release price. At that much gold, it is difficult to put a big premium above spot. The lesser ones seem to be pricing around $3k/oz. That is a big demotivator in reselling, which is why few make it to the secondary market. Even the low mintage ones. If you put them on eBay with a small premium above cost to cover the seller fees with OBO, people will be sending offers 5% in back of spot and similar.

I don't do Ebay so I have never seen one of the 18 gold 2.5 oz Octagons up for sale (6 each for 3 different years though I am guessing 1 or 2 of each were kept by DC so maybe only 12-14 total were sold). The issue prices were around $4500 for those years. I do not know how much over spot those originally sold for. It will be interesting to watch.

It does appear his following is growing. There are new people posting about buying items (me being one). The 1906 Winged Saint was priced at $1750 and sold less than this years 2022 $2650 version. Different spot prices for sure but very strong demand considering. I am hopeful as more join in maybe his items will appear at shows instead of Ebay.

edited March 22, 2022 4:41AM

@pcgscacgold said:
    I am hopeful as more join in maybe his items will appear at shows instead of Ebay.

They do appear in some shows and are actively carried by some dealers, especially in Colorado where there appears to be a strong following.

@Zoins said:

@pcgscacgold said:
    I am hopeful as more join in maybe his items will appear at shows instead of Ebay.

They do appear in some shows and are actively carried by some dealers, especially in Colorado where there appears to be a strong following.

Great. I will be actively searching at the Central States show in April and the ANA in August. I don't get west of the Mississippi River so no CO for me.

The SHIPs have sailed. Email received, might get them by the end of the week. 😁

(l8-)>>

@edgar said:
    The SHIPs have sailed. Email received, might get them by the end of the week. 😁

Me too. A few anxious days ahead.

edited March 23, 2022 2:31AM

@SPalladino said:

An inflation calculator has $15.85 currently approximately the same buying power as a 1921 Peace dollar.
    Based on the suggestion, the 1921 38.1mm diameter be reduced to about 2.4mm as 2022 hard times token.
    Or, the alternative suggestion would put a 2022 hard times Peace at about a 6 cent denomination.

It would be great to make something like the wagon wheel Bryan money piece :)

2.4mm and 5.4mm are a bit small, but perhaps something with a more recent date, like even from the 2008 recession?

The above are cataloged as HK-782 and HK-779.

@Zoins said:

@SPalladino said:

2.4mm and 5.4mm are a bit small, but perhaps something with a more recent date, like even from the 2008 recession?

That would result in a nice, big, heavy piece of silver :smiley: If I read correctly the 2022 version would be roughly 15 times as heavy as the 1921 Peace Dollar.

edited March 23, 2022 2:22AM

@pcgscacgold said:

@Zoins said:

@SPalladino said:

That would result in a nice, big, heavy piece of silver :smiley: If I read correctly the 2022 version would be roughly 15 times as heavy as the 1921 Peace Dollar.

Wow, even from 2008 to now? Crazy!

Maybe we need something showing the rise in value of Bitcoin ;)

@Zoins said:

@pcgscacgold said:

@Zoins said:

@SPalladino said:

Wow, even from 2008 to now? Crazy!

Maybe we need something showing the rise in value of Bitcoin ;)

Rise and fall. A coin with a spinner on it?

edited March 23, 2022 7:05AM

@JBK said:
    Not to interrupt the gold talk, but I think it is time for one or more Hard Times Tokens.

National debt, inflation, gas prices....what's not to commemorate? :p

How about a 2022 Moonlight Mint Open House (MMOH) overstrike that shows the effects of inflation?

Specifically, overstrike a 1974 Ike dollar (38.1mm) with Dan's 2022 $2.50 Clark Gruber Liberty Owl (16.5mm).

The size disparity (38.1 vs 16.5) exactly symbolizes the effects of inflation per dollar 1974 - 2022: https://www.usinflationcalculator.com/ (Maybe someone will confirm my math.)

I know, the $1 vs $2.50 complicates the calculation. And the "per dollar" is a bit confusing. But so what?

Sell it on the website and it'd be a nice consolation for folks that can never attend a MMOH.

• heavymetalheavymetal Posts: 588 ✭✭✭✭

Just noticed the slight toning going on with this 2015 Front Range Coin Club item. I like it.

@ZoidMeister said:

Fear and trepidation sets in . . . .

The Post Office is now in posession of my Moonlight Mint goodies . . . .

Z

I know the feeling........ I’m not sending all 20 any more at one time ‼️‼️
    I sweated until my babies made it back home, and I’m not sending more than 1 of Dan’s rare ones at a time‼️‼️👍🎯😱😱😱😱😱

@Nickpatton said:

@ZoidMeister said:

Z

I sweated until my babies made it back home, and I’m not sending more than 1 of Dan’s rare ones at a time‼️‼️👍🎯😱😱😱😱😱

Still trying to figure out how to get the 1848 CAL DE, 1908O DE and the 2022 Saint all to ANACS and back. They have marked my account to never use UPS again. It is all USPS for me. Lost 9 already to a sticky figured UPS worker.

@pcgscacgold said:

@Nickpatton said:

@ZoidMeister said:

Z

Still trying to figure out how to get the 1848 CAL DE, 1908O DE and the 2022 Saint all to ANACS and back. They have marked my account to never use UPS again. It is all USPS for me. Lost 9 already to a sticky ufigured UPS worker.

That sux‼️‼️If it was US Mail it would be a federal offense and the US postal inspectors always get their man‼️It should still be a federal offense messin’ with the mail🎯‼️‼️🎯🎯‼️

• Alpha2814Alpha2814 Posts: 30 ✭✭✭

@edgar said:

@Iamthewalrus53 said:
    Question about shipping-As a recent first time buyer of Dan Carr pieces- do they send out an email saying item was shipped or do they just show up? Thanks for any info

If you subscibe to USPS Informed Delivery, It should show as inbound package from Loveland Colorado, then with the tracking number, you can get email updates.

This has been my experience as well. On the other hand, I'm now on Day 3 after "Shipped" and it's not in my Informed Delivery list. This isn't unusual from eBay history -- I'm hoping it's another case of USPS dropping the ball rather than losing my package. I want that 1936 Peace!

edited March 24, 2022 3:12PM

@Alpha2814 said:

This has been my experience as well. On the other hand, I'm now on Day 3 after "Shipped" and it's not in my Informed Delivery list. This isn't unusual from eBay history -- I'm hoping it's another case of USPS dropping the ball rather than losing my package. I want that 1936 Peace!

It took a day and a half until the post office sent the email, that they have a package in their possession, expected delivery in 3 days (I checked the "send me an email when a package shows up" box.)

(l8-)>>

@Bullsitter said:

Kool Bullsitter 😱🎯🎯‼️‼️👍‼️👀👀‼️👀
    When are you gonna check your”inbox” here bro⁉️⁉️⁉️⁉️⁉️⁉️⁉️

• AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭✭✭

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
    edited March 24, 2022 10:24PM

Great multi-struck coins!

Love the:

Dan made both 1911-D and 1911-S buffalo nickels so is it possible to identify the mintmark for the @Akbeez coin??

We need to get PCGS to slab all these so we can get TrueViews :)

Here's one of my favorites!

Oh yeah!! USPS informed delivery tells me to expect a package from Loveland, CO today!! B)

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member

For all these multistruck tokens, where did they come from?

Were they special requests, or did DCarr sell them on ebay?

• Mr Lindy Mr Lindy Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 25, 2022 7:07PM

MM Mint does not do special orders.

Whereas Gallery Mint did them for me & several others in the know, that I know of.

I ordered this on .999 Silver instead of copper with vine & bars edge rolled on and specifically multi struck flip over double struck at 35% off center @ 10 o'clock which I requested with my hand drawn clock position:

• coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,703 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t think I could love those 2 anymore. I half the o/s with silver plug AU58 I had no idea it was available in gold.
    Now I must have one1 fantastic!!

@alefzero said:
    These two chain cents are interesting in how differently they present in different metals. The gold one has a mintage of 6. The circulated silver plug copper's mintage is 10.

edited March 25, 2022 7:41PM

@LindyS said:
    MM Mint does not do special orders.

Whereas Gallery Mint did them for me & several others in the know, that I know of.

I think Dan and Ron would both think Dan is doing it right. Ron doesn't do coins any more and I think he got a little burned out making people happy with special orders. His primary focus now is on things that don't have mintage limits and there's a reason for that.

edited March 25, 2022 7:40PM

@coinsarefun said:

I don’t think I could love those 2 anymore. I half the o/s with silver plug AU58 I had no idea it was available in gold.

@alefzero said:
    These two chain cents are interesting in how differently they present in different metals. The gold one has a mintage of 6. The circulated silver plug copper's mintage is 10.

I agree! These are gorgeous! 6 is an amazingly low mintage for something so iconic and beautiful!

@coinsarefun said:

@alefzero said:

I’m “GOLD” with envy ‼️‼️🎯‼️👍👍✌️✌️‼️Love them👍👍

• alefzeroalefzero Posts: 958 ✭✭✭✭✭

He struck over 500 of the silver plug BU satin finish. So the basic coin is available out there. I had to have it in circulated because it was so limited. The gold one is unreal. It just doesn't look like a chain cent, which is why I posted the comparison. The only thing I would have wanted different would have been AMERI, instead of AMERICA. But that's nitpicking at a crazy level of detail.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file