Home U.S. Coin Forum

Dan Carrs latest

Comments

• Help! I recently placed my first ever order with Dan Carr for the peace dollar. Does anyone know if they allow an addition to an existing order? LOL I would like to save the additional 10 dollar shipping charge for a gallon of two of gas thanks for any info

• edgaredgar Posts: 886 ✭✭✭✭

@Iamthewalrus53 said:
    Help! I recently placed my first ever order with Dan Carr for the peace dollar. Does anyone know if they allow an addition to an existing order? LOL I would like to save the additional 10 dollar shipping charge for a gallon of two of gas thanks for any info

When that happened to me in the past, I just made a second order and paid additional shipping, even though both orders were shipped together (not an issue for me). BUT! depending on what you originally ordered (still available), just cancel it and place new order.

(l8-)>>

• CoinnmoreCoinnmore Posts: 161 ✭✭✭

If you got one of them Peace dollars you won’t want to cancel best to just send him a email he might answer in a day or so.

• nk1nknk1nk Posts: 477 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 8, 2022 3:40PM

@pcgscacgold said:
    I was just surprised that 100 different people have already ordered the Peace dollar. He has a very large fan base I guess.

I think, and I may be wrong but you can only put one in your cart. So if you check out and then place another order you can keep buying as many as you would like. You obviously are paying the $10 shipping for every one you order but you are technically bypassing the one per customer rule.

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 8, 2022 6:21PM

@pcgscacgold said:
    Neat pick ups @ZoidMeister and @Zoins

I didn't buy that one (yet), but I'm seriously thinking about it.

I do think he takes great photos of Dan's work which should be saved!

@edgar said:

@dcarr said:

@Zoins said:
    This one is gorgeous and I'll have to think about it seriously!

My only question is why are these struck on Canada Maple Leaf coins instead of US gold coins?

Canada 1-troy-oz gold Maple Leaf coins are 9995 or 9999, but more importantly, they are smaller in diameter and thicker than most other 1-troy-oz gold coins. The thickness allows for higher relief.

The Maple Leafs are convenient. But of course, I can also make my own blanks and I might do that for some.

I expect Gold prices to be very volatile over the next months (War, Interest Rates, Government Spending, etc). Could we see price adjustment (similar to the US Mint Bullion Pricing) Is a lock in now best?

TOLD YUH!

(l8-)>>

• NickpattonNickpatton Posts: 363 ✭✭✭✭

@edgar said:

@edgar said:

@dcarr said:

@Zoins said:

My only question is why are these struck on Canada Maple Leaf coins instead of US gold coins?

Canada 1-troy-oz gold Maple Leaf coins are 9995 or 9999, but more importantly, they are smaller in diameter and thicker than most other 1-troy-oz gold coins. The thickness allows for higher relief.

The Maple Leafs are convenient. But of course, I can also make my own blanks and I might do that for some.

I expect Gold prices to be very volatile over the next months (War, Interest Rates, Government Spending, etc). Could we see price adjustment (similar to the US Mint Bullion Pricing) Is a lock in now best?

TOLD YUH!

I can’t say I like anything the USMINT is doing ‼️‼️When the 2021 Morgan cc & o came out is an example........ I started trying to order one at 15 minutes before noon the first day...tried for an hour and gavel up when they said they were sold out ‼️‼️And the 2021 D and S I got next time came back from the grading company MS68and MS69 ....... nearly every high grade Dan Carrs come back MS70......here’s a trick on getting them graded.........don’t send two of the same kind, ( The graders tend to compare them to each other, and usually MS70 one, and MS69 the other..... just send one kind at a time)‼️‼️‼️‼️‼️

• ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭✭✭

@edgar said:

@edgar said:

@dcarr said:

@Zoins said:

TOLD YUH!

As of this morning gold appears to be moving back under $2000. I am glad I bought the Saint when I did but the increased prince to $2725 probably would not have stopped me. I have wanted one of Daniel's Saints and the people that own the past ones never sell.

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

Interesting because the seller is listed as a "Top rated seller" with over 100% rating on 3000+ sales. Looks like those that shop in Ebay need to be very careful.

• cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,763 ✭✭✭✭✭

They wouldn't be like each other even if it was spelled the same. The Fourty is 39mm and the forty is 34mm.

@ZoidMeister said:
    All I can say is that I sure do wish that Dan left the spelling of the value on the St. Gaudens one ounce as it was.

Now the new pieces will be all "which one is not like the others" . . . .

I fancied the original spelling to be more "British" and looks more "correct" to my eyes.

That's how I always spelt it anyways . . . . .

Z

Many happy BST transactions
  • LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting Note on the "Fourty / Forty" Spelling.

I didn't pickup any of the previous winged liberty Silver pieces, but after reading Dans comments on this new higher "Ultra High Relief" I purchased one off the website and cant wait to admire it for the piece of Medallic Art that it is.

Reading back through this thread and others, seeing the Previous Peace Dollar offerings its apparent the amount of knowledge and care thats going into the 1936 prooflike piece. I was fortunate enough to snag one of the hundred before the sellout and this will be my first Carr Peace Dollar.

Lastly, some of you may have seen my attempts thusfar at putting together a set of the Clark Gruber Half Eagles ( currently only missing 2017 and 2020 ) well I had to get the 2022 "while the gettins good".

Thanks for the newest rounds of offerings Daniel Carr and congrats to those here who got some goodies!
    (Also thanks to those who tipped me off on the new products,,, you know who you are 👀)

It's all about what the people want...

@pcgscacgold said: I didnt pickup any of the previous winged liberty pieces, but...

...I have wanted one of Daniel's Saints and the people that own the past ones never sell.

Well, Almost Never... I managed to find one on the secondary market this past month so there's hope

This one was actually privately offered to me a while back and it sat in the back of my mind until the day came where I could no longer resist the urge... In hand its an absolute beauty

Your 1oz Winged Liberty will no doubt be a treat and congrats on the pickup!

• jshaulisjshaulis Posts: 815 ✭✭✭✭

Slightly off topic but figured this group would know. When is the next open house? Is the mint open daily? Might be heading to Colorado this summer and would be interested in visiting but no clue if that's a possibility.

Successful transactions with forum members commoncents05, dmarks, Coinscratch, Bullsitter, DCW, TwoSides2aCoin, Namvet69 (facilitated for 3rd party), Tetromibi, ProfLizMay, MASSU2, MWallace, Bruce7789, Twobitcollector, 78saen, U1chicago, Rob41281

• alefzeroalefzero Posts: 958 ✭✭✭✭✭

As of this morning gold appears to be moving back under $2000. I am glad I bought the Saint when I did but the increased prince to $2725 probably would not have stopped me. I have wanted one of Daniel's Saints and the people that own the past ones never sell.

I inadvertently didn't add that one to my order the other day and was going to this morning. Saw it had gone up $75 this morning. So on the fence now.

@LukeMarshall said:

@pcgscacgold said: I didnt pickup any of the previous winged liberty pieces, but...

...I have wanted one of Daniel's Saints and the people that own the past ones never sell.

Well, Almost Never... I managed to find one on the secondary market this past month so there's hope

This one was actually privately offered to me a while back and it sat in the back of my mind until the day came where I could no longer resist the urge... In hand its an absolute beauty

Your 1oz Winged Liberty will no doubt be a treat and congrats on the pickup!

Yes @LukeMarshall that is the Saint I want to add someday (1934). You are lucky to have people like that reaching out to you. I will watch for your two missing dates at Central States and the ANA.

@pcgscacgold ,

Originally I was purchasing a Morgan Dollar from them, but I couldn't help asking "hey did you happen to have any Daniel Carr Gold?" and that has opened up dialogue a couple times now...

Appreciate the lookout, coin shows are few and far in-between in my area so I'm somewhat limited to the interwebs. I'll keep you in mind if I get another lead on this particular Double Eagle.

@alefzero said:

I inadvertently didn't add that one to my order the other day and was going to this morning. Saw it had gone up $75 this morning. So on the fence now.

I happily ordered first day. I considered premium to melt to be fair for that Item at that time. I expect the price/cost will only increase in the near future. Things look bleak, ALL commodity prices increasing. These will cost more... I think.

(l8-)>>

• drfishdrfish Posts: 939 ✭✭✭✭

Missed the 36 Peace dollar release , if anyone gets one and decides to sell please message me . Thanks!

Hey, what’s up

@edgar said:

@alefzero said:

I happily ordered first day. I considered premium to melt to be fair for that Item at that time. I expect the price/cost will only increase in the near future. Things look bleak, ALL commodity prices increasing. These will cost more... I think.

I was going to buy it and thought I had until I looked at my invoice later on. The $75 increase just bugs me a little. As for their future value, I would also speculate that they would be money makers even at the premium. But these rarely seem to make it to the secondary market and we just cannot know if Carr's work will maintain an institutional status in the hobby. I think it will and it should. But without a numismatic following, mintages are not very relevant. You can buy foreign gold proofs with obscenely low mintages for very little premiums over melt. There is a dice roll in it all.

• darth_morgandarth_morgan Posts: 192 ✭✭✭✭

@alefzero said:

@edgar said:

@alefzero said:

I was going to buy it and thought I had until I looked at my invoice later on. The $75 increase just bugs me a little. As for their future value, I would also speculate that they would be money makers even at the premium. But these rarely seem to make it to the secondary market and we just cannot know if Carr's work will maintain an institutional status in the hobby. I think it will and it should. But without a numismatic following, mintages are not very relevant. You can buy foreign gold proofs with obscenely low mintages for very little premiums over melt. There is a dice roll in it all.

I think there will always be interest in Dan’s work as well, but it will probably always be a small niche in the greater hobby. This thread appears to be the busiest “activity” for Moonlight Mint products on the entire web, and yet only a handful of individuals regularly participate. I agree with you about mintages. They are not really that important since basically every Carr issue is limited. I’ve enjoyed collecting certain issues throughout the years, but I must admit that I’m currently in a rut with all my hobbies.

My Eisenhower Dollar Complete Variety Set, Circulation Strikes and Proof (PCGS Registry):
    https://www.PCGS.com/SetRegistry/dollars/eisenhower-dollars-specialty-sets/eisenhower-dollars-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-proof-1971-1978/publishedset/119137

Darth Morgan - "The Other Ike Dollars" Showcase: https://www.PCGS.com/setregistry/showcase/3354

The Eisenhower Dollar Meeting Room: https://www.facebook.com/groups/933585237044733

I still believe the earliest purchase will be the best (I don't think the price will be better than $2650). My 34MM-ASG_MCMVI_Au1 needs a 30MM-ASG_MMXXII_G1 little sister 😁! Now eagerly awaiting, production, shipping, and delivery!

(l8-)>>

@edgar said:
    Now eagerly awaiting, production, shipping, and delivery!

Truth!

Successful transactions with forum members commoncents05, dmarks, Coinscratch, Bullsitter, DCW, TwoSides2aCoin, Namvet69 (facilitated for 3rd party), Tetromibi, ProfLizMay, MASSU2, MWallace, Bruce7789, Twobitcollector, 78saen, U1chicago, Rob41281

Y’all need to look at the USMINT and what they are doing.......... palladium Eagles...... palladium goes up $100 ..USMINT goes up $300‼️‼️👎👎
    Palladium goes up $200 ....USMINT takes them off the market.... sez they aren’t available anymore (even though the day before they had 3 different years available for purchase because they were priced so ridiculously high no one would buy them‼️‼️‼️👎👎‼️
    Today palladium is $3000.... USMINT price$3900‼️‼️👎👎👎
    Y’all need to leave, “you know who” alone‼️‼️‼️‼️‼️‼️

• 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭✭✭

Although his gold comes up relatively infrequently on the secondary market, the prices are occasionally not really that high. Most of us are loyal collectors and not flippers and so keep them. I have seen some of his pieces sold through "non-interested" parties and they go for not much beyond bullion - won't get mine at fireside prices or any prices at all. LOL.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.

@dcarr said:

@alefzero said:

@edgar said:

@alefzero said:

At the time I raised the price by $75, gold had just shot up by $50 and I hadn't yet purchased the few more gold Maple Leafs that I would need. But now that gold has dropped back to where it was before, I lowered the price back to $2,650. Had there been any purchases at the higher $2,725 price, I would now refund the $75 difference. But there were no sales of them during the time I had the $2,725 price in place.

I took notice when I revisited the site. It all made sense too. Ordered mine. The UHR was impossible to pass up.

@LindyS said:

@LindyS said:
    Got my Shippy Dippy Notice from Dan !
    Not on my usps informed delivery account today, maybe tomorrow for hand off

Thank You Very Much Moonlight Mint !!!

Yay‼️‼️👀‼️🎯👍👍me too‼️‼️👍🎯👀👀‼️👍‼️‼️‼️

• COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

Today the USMint CANCELLED plans for a 2022 Proof Peace dollar.

So maybe Dan will make one? I'd love an MMXXII version.

But I suppose it'd be prudent to wait until year's end, just in case the Mint decides to make any kind of 2022 Peace dollar.

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• Farmer1961Farmer1961 Posts: 167 ✭✭✭

I've got a muliple strike 1934 Carr Saint (3 times off center) which is unique. Also urchased a 1908-0 $20 and two 1848 CAL. double eagle's which only 13 were minted.

edited March 15, 2022 2:19AM

@Farmer1961 said:
    I've got a muliple strike 1934 Carr Saint (3 times off center) which is unique. Also urchased a 1908-0 $20 and two 1848 CAL. double eagle's which only 13 were minted.

Congrats! That’s awesome!

Would love to see pics of the 1934!

@COCollector said:

But I suppose it'd be prudent to wait until year's end, just in case the Mint decides to make any kind of 2022 Peace dollar.

Great opportunity Dan!

How’s that old Irving Berlin song go........... anything the USMINT can do....... Dan can do better ‼️‼️🎯🎯👍👀‼️‼️‼️‼️> @dcarr said:

@COCollector said:

Yes, I will wait until 2022 is almost over before embarking on any such project.
    But it certainly is a possibility.

edited March 15, 2022 9:24AM

@DrDarryl said:
    I received this medal as a Money Talk speaker at the 2022 National Money Show in Colorado Springs, CO. I was the first Money Talk speaker and received medal "1 of 10". This is a Dan Carr medal.

Very nice and congrats Darryl! It would be interesting to know of all 10 say "1 out of 10" or if it was "2 out of 10", "3 out of 10", etc.

Here's another thread yours belongs in:

Coin Club Medals with Membership Engraving

I have one too but mine's not engraved! When looking at the reverses I also wonder if they are different, yours having a raised rim, and mine not having one? Perhaps Dan @dcarr and indicate if multiple types of uniface medals exist? Or is it just hard to see in mine in the slab?

• Farmer1961Farmer1961 Posts: 167 ✭✭✭

I will try and post an image of the triple struck 1934 soon.

• dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 16, 2022 11:29PM

@Zoins said:

@DrDarryl said:
    I received this medal as a Money Talk speaker at the 2022 National Money Show in Colorado Springs, CO. I was the first Money Talk speaker and received medal "1 of 10". This is a Dan Carr medal.

I have one too but mine's not engraved! When looking at the reverses I also wonder if they are different, yours having a raised rim, and mine not having one? Perhaps Dan @dcarr and indicate if multiple types of uniface medals exist? Or is it just hard to see in mine in the slab?

I do seem to remember that a second order of uniface strikes was made a couple years after the initial production.
    A different blank die could have been used each time (the latter with a rim cut in the die).

edited March 17, 2022 12:07AM

Here's an interesting medal by Dan and Jeff @SoCalledGuy.

This one looks like it's a rotated double struck piece. The interesting thing is that it looks like the second strike is rotated in-collar, which I don't recall seeing much of.

Is this common with the Grabener press? Does this happen more with smooth collars than reeded ones, or more with certain compositions than others?

I wrote about this die here:

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987131/new-so-called-dollar-variety-discovery-alaska-yukon-pacific-exposition

Photos courtesy of: nickshobbies.

• dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:
    Here's an interesting medal by Dan and Jeff @SoCalledGuy.

This one looks like it's a rotated double struck piece. The interesting thing is that it looks like the second strike is rotated in-collar, which I don't recall seeing much of.

Is this common with the Grabener press? Does this happen more with smooth collars than reeded ones, or more with certain compositions than others?

I wrote about this die here:

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987131/new-so-called-dollar-variety-discovery-alaska-yukon-pacific-exposition

Photos courtesy of: nickshobbies.

That was probably a weak initial test strike, and then the piece was manually put back into the collar (rotated) and then struck again (harder).

• BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭✭✭

REVERSE, REVERSE, REVERSE...... B)

Oh man...I want my stuff now!

edited March 17, 2022 4:05PM

my order includes an antiqued owl, I'll probably have to wait for ever. 🥺
    It'll be agonizing, to look at all the images.

(l8-)>>

I tried my usual "one of everything" but Chase Visa didn't agree with me . . . .

Z

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file