Home U.S. Coin Forum

Dan Carrs latest

Comments

• dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

@philographer said:
    I posted this in another thread (the one on my Dan Carr 1964 Peace Dollars being graded last year), but wanted to post here also for anyone else who might be interested...

My Dan Carr 2007 Seated Liberty 20 Trade Dollar token was just graded by PCGS. Trueviews have not yet come up, but my photo is below:

I'm happy this grading experiment turned out as it did. :)

Nice.
    But why no "PR", or "DMPL", or even "PL" ?
    I also produced a brilliant satin version of that item that is definitely not PL.
    The Krause "Unusual World Coins" catalog (6th edition) only lists a "BU" version of it and no "proof" issue.
    So that is probably the reason.

This, however, illustrates how my own catalog of issues would be a better source guide.
    See the very last section at the bottom of this page:
    http://www.moonlightmint.com/dc-coin_alt_currency_list.htmmoonlightmint.com/dc-coin_alt_currency_list.htm

• 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, I am not sure why they adhere to that particular volume that is now about ELEVEN years old now. There are not other replacements and it is a starting point but when there is one type listed but we know there are other types of strikes or metals of that same coin, why not bend just a bit? Patina/Spink/INA issues are in the same boat.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • NickpattonNickpatton Posts: 363 ✭✭✭✭

@ZoidMeister said:

@ZoidMeister said:

@ZoidMeister said:

![](https:/

@Akbeez said:
    Love your colors on this piece! Here’s another variant — 2017 antiqued:e

That one’s rarer than the one I posted....... and I don’t have one‼️‼️‼️
    You always have the koolest pieces‼️‼️🎯👍👍👍👀
    Love it ‼️‼️👍‼️🎯🎯‼️‼️

• ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Nickpatton

A little something I found in one of my boxes. Look closely and you will see four strikes.

1. The original host coin.
    2. Off center left
    3. Low center
    4. Off center right

Z

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

I really like the finish on this one. Antiqued brass, #11 of 14 minted.

Z

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

edited February 24, 2022 4:04AM

I'm not sure if Jeff Shevlin made more than one of these silver select Wilson reverse gathering medals with the gold gilt on both sides, but it's the only one I've seen.

Z

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 24, 2022 9:29AM

I wanted to give everyone an update on the following:

1. Dan Carr Print Catalog: This is making progress but is slower than I'd like given my day job. I have a good database schema now that I've used with 10+ coins so it works well, but I'm working on making it more generic which require some database architecture design.
    2. Dan Carr Minting Society: This is on hold from my perspective now. After asking others to propose topics/talks and not getting responses, I need to adjust my thoughts on how to make this successful. Jeff Shevlin worked with Dan on the Wilson Dollar pieces above, and also published the So-Called Dollar Collectors' Club Journal below. It was a lot of work, but he didn't get a lot of contributors so he ended up publishing only a single issue. I'd like to avoid a similar situation.

http://www.so-calleddollar.com/wp-content/themes/scdollar/assets/pdf/55551_SoCalledBookletLOW.pdf

@ZoidMeister said:
    @Nickpatton

A little something I found in one of my boxes. Look closely and you will see four strikes.

1. The original host coin.
    2. Off center left
    3. Low center
    4. Off center right

Z

Alright now these are so Kool ‼️‼️🎯👍👍👀
    Where are y’all gittin’ these from ,and what I’m a doin’ wrong⁉️⁉️‼️‼️‼️🎯🎯👀‼️‼️‼️‼️> @ZoidMeister said:

I'm not sure if Jeff Shevlin made more than one of these silver select Wilson reverse gathering medals with the gold gilt on both sides, but it's the only one I've seen.

Z

A bit more eye candy for @Nickpatton.

Z

@coinsarefun said:
    Damnnnnn I should’ve opened my purse strings for the 1801 dollar! I’m beyond jealous

>

I figured that would get some adrenaline flowing.

I must go post these "elsewhere."

I don't think I've done that yet.

Z

• pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭✭✭

Two new items to watch for at a the "Distributor". As with the half dollars done late last year, these look amazing.

• 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭✭✭

Distributors? Usually with crazy prices I would guess??

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • SPalladinoSPalladino Posts: 864 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pcgscacgold said:
    Two new items to watch for at a the "Distributor".

Great pick-up! Any idea who that "distributor" might be?

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
    - DIVa (Designated Ike Varieties) Project co-lead and attributor

@SPalladino said:

@pcgscacgold said:
    Two new items to watch for at a the "Distributor".

Great pick-up! Any idea who that "distributor" might be?

No. I watched "The Chopper's" site for the December halves that DC did and they never showed up. There must be another guy buying and selling. Hopefully someone will tell us where these are being sold. There are 500 of the one so they have to show up somewhere.

• COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

.> @pcgscacgold said:

Two new items to watch for at a the "Distributor". As with the half dollars done late last year, these look amazing.

Agreed, they look great. But if the Distributor doesn't price 'em affordably, I'm out.

Also, I'm hoping Dan will produce & sell CENTERED Peace versions with various finishes. I'd love one with a matte finish, maybe a circulated version too.

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

edited February 25, 2022 3:05PM

@COCollector said:
    Also, I'm hoping Dan will produce & sell CENTERED Peace versions with various finishes. I'd love one with a matte finish, maybe a circulated version too.

Well, we now know that Dan has a production-ready1922 obverse die. ;)

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
  • cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 25, 2022 6:08PM

So the engraving is off center not struck off center?
    I suppose that keeps the issue uniform from piece to piece.

Many happy BST transactions
  • Mr Lindy Mr Lindy Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 26, 2022 5:37AM

Here's the other intentionally made off center obverse die.
    Last time it was offered it did not sell for $200.
    ANACS misdescribed it as misaligned die.
    It is not misaligned; it is not an error.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265553228695?hash=item3dd434b397:g:diMAAOSwwIxhy0k0

@pcgscacgold said:

@LindyS said:
    Whew !

I almost closed this fleabay offer.

Then I looked up production info at Moonlight Mint.

I found 700 fantasy errors produced that are exactly same:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265484632901

I believe these are around $240 on CCN through the Chopper.

That one is available on The Choppers CCN site for $239. It is also described as misaligned there. DC calls it an off-center obverse engraving. If the person sent in the insert it would have been correct. He bought over 1100 of them for resale.

@LindyS said:
    Here's the other intentionally made off center obverse die.
    Last time it was offered it did not sell for $200.
    ANACS misdescribed it as misaligned die.
    It is not misaligned; it is not an error.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265553228695?hash=item3dd434b397:g:diMAAOSwwIxhy0k0

@pcgscacgold said:

@LindyS said:
    Whew !

I almost closed this fleabay offer.

Then I looked up production info at Moonlight Mint.

I found 700 fantasy errors produced that are exactly same:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265484632901

I believe these are around $240 on CCN through the Chopper.

For the KOTCT fans.

Z

@ZoidMeister said:
    For the KOTCT fans.

Z

Too Kool ‼️👍🎯‼️‼️Tell us a little more...... was there any cash value ( were the used for trade between KOTCT members), or just kool to have........ and pleeze don’t tell me, Go ask Alice‼️‼️‼️🎯🎯🎯👍‼️‼️‼️‼️✌️

• BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 28, 2022 4:00PM

Bought this 2011 Hard Times Token on 2-22-22 from a forum member, came in today.
    Really pleased with this piece, don't see them around very often.

Photo later.

@Bullsitter said:
    Bought this 2011 Hard Times Token on 2-22-22 from a forum member, came in today.

I love the color!

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member

@Bullsitter said:

Photo later.

You know where to send it when you grow tired of it . . . .right?

Z

@Nickpatton said:

@ZoidMeister said:
    For the KOTCT fans.

Z

Too Kool ‼️👍🎯‼️‼️Tell us a little more...... was there any cash value ( were the used for trade between KOTCT members), or just kool to have........ and pleeze don’t tell me, Go ask Alice‼️‼️‼️🎯🎯🎯👍‼️‼️‼️‼️✌️

I ran across those poking around the KOTCT Castle. I dug around, asked a few questions, and was offered a set.

It's been over a year since I picked them up. Pre-Covid IIRC . . .

Z

@ZoidMeister said:

@Nickpatton said:

@ZoidMeister said:
    For the KOTCT fans.

Z

I ran across those poking around the KOTCT Castle. I dug around, asked a few questions, and was offered a set.

Z

Love them......... but I don’t think you’re busy chasing Carrs............... I think you’re busy “CATCHING “ Carrs‼️‼️‼️🎯🎯🎯🎯👀‼️‼️‼️👍🎯🎯🎯🎯‼️‼️‼️‼️‼️

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,145 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ZoidMeister said:

@Nickpatton said:

@ZoidMeister said:
    For the KOTCT fans.

Z

Z

Nice set! I asked about them some time ago at KotCT, they did not materialize.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...

@philographer said:
    Images posted today...

Nice!!!
    Looks like a proof-like finish, but was given MS69. I'm guessing that any PCGS-attributable Moonlight Mint product would not get a proof or proof-like designation?

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
  • robecrobec Posts: 6,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SPalladino said:

@philographer said:
    Images posted today...

Nice!!!
    Looks like a proof-like finish, but was given MS69. I'm guessing that any PCGS-attributable Moonlight Mint product would not get a proof or proof-like designation?

On the 1964-D Peace dollars one was given Proof designation and the other a PL.

• Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Will pcgs slab any Carr issue? I have a few I would love to see in PCGS plastic!

• robecrobec Posts: 6,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Aspie_Rocco said:
    Will pcgs slab any Carr issue? I have a few I would love to see in PCGS plastic!

I think they will slab any Carr issue that appears in Krause’s Unusual World Coins 6th Edition.

No, just the Carr items listed in this book

@Aspie_Rocco said:

• TomBTomB Posts: 21,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

The problem with using the sixth edition, which is the most recent edition if I recall correctly, is that it had a publication date of 2011. Therefore, the pieces in question would have had to not only been produced prior to the 2011 publication, but would also have had to have been incorporated into that edition. That excludes from current PCGS certification an enormous number of issues from various sources.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• philographerphilographer Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LindyS said:
    No, just the Carr items listed in this book

@Aspie_Rocco said:

Also FYI they have to be from the United States section…there are other tokens in the book by Carr that are not designated “US”

He who knows he has enough is rich.

Awesome, I was unaware PCGS uses other sources to certify Moonlight Mint, Clark Gruber, Daniel Carr coinage art.

@TomB said:
    The problem with using the sixth edition, which is the most recent edition if I recall correctly, is that it had a publication date of 2011. Therefore, the pieces in question would have had to not only been produced prior to the 2011 publication, but would also have had to have been incorporated into that edition. That excludes from current PCGS certification an enormous number of issues from various sources.

Here is the last update on my stolen DC coins/tokens. I hope everyone will continue to watch the internet or coin shows for these items. One is the only one sold (Brass) and one is a one of two sold (uncleaned 84S).

UPS has spent 12 weeks trying to find the items and now say they are done looking. The employee so far has gotten away with the theft. UPS had no reason to find the items because the payout comes from ANACS and UPS owes nothing. That does not seem right.

Here is a list again but I doubt some will remain in holders.

edited March 5, 2022 5:14PM

Your loss still affects me. Many virtually unique items from a one off, unique or one of 4 ish production runs. I am beyond sad & remain curious how this gets rectified. The perfect solution would have been in your hands, they arrived in an opened emptied box a few months ago. I am terrified to send ANY valuables in 2022. NO WAY I will send anything to any slab company till this gets resolved. What good is insurance if its just a word, not really reality.

@LindyS said:
    Your loss still affects me. Many virtually unique items from a one off, unique or one of 4 ish production runs. I am beyond sad & remain curious how this gets rectified. The perfect solution would have been in your hands, they arrived in an opened emptied box a few months ago. I am terrified to send ANY valuables in 2022. NO WAY I will send anything to any slab company till this gets resolved. What good is insurance if its just a word, not really reality.

The hard part is putting a value on items like this. For a while I held out hope that the UPS employees would do the right thing and forward the items on to me. The strange thing is they completely emptied the box. No packaging, no invoice, no box of coins. Someone wanted to remove all identification of the items. My only hope now is that someone sees these and reports it. They have been reported stolen, so who knows. At this point a buyout will come from ANACS. Paul D has been great.

Not sure if people noticed but the 2021 COVID silver 1 oz coin is back in stock on the Moonlight Mint site.

@pcgscacgold said:
    Not sure if people noticed but the 2021 COVID silver 1 oz coin is back in stock on the Moonlight Mint site.

Thanks, bro‼️‼️👍🎯👀‼️‼️

@pcgscacgold said:
    Here is the last update on my stolen DC coins/tokens. I hope everyone will continue to watch the internet or coin shows for these items. One is the only one sold (Brass) and one is a one of two sold (uncleaned 84S).

UPS has spent 12 weeks trying to find the items and now say they are done looking. The employee so far has gotten away with the theft. UPS had no reason to find the items because the payout comes from ANACS and UPS owes nothing. That does not seem right.

Here is a list again but I doubt some will remain in holders.

I just started to use the grading companies, and would send 20 coins at a time. This makes not want to send that many at a time ‼️‼️‼️If you’re like me.... I’d rather have the coins, not the money ( especially if it’s Dan’s stuff), I had some really rare Dan Carr pieces the first time I sent anything to the grading company.
    I hate to hear what happened to you and hope the coins are returned to you.Too bad the “Secret Service” doesn’t get involved like they do on counterfeit coins........ they find out what happened and where they came from all the way to the end ‼️‼️‼️
    Good luck, my brother, and thanks for letting us know what could happen.

Dan’s got a whole bunch of new “ awesome “ stuff on his stores now ‼️‼️🎯👍👍👀🎯‼️‼️‼️🎯‼️‼️Wish I wuz a millionaire ‼️‼️‼️‼️🎯‼️‼️‼️

edited March 6, 2022 2:44PM

Dan’s got some new “awesome “ stuff up now in his store ‼️‼️🎯👍👀‼️‼️‼️
    Wish I wuz a millionaire ‼️‼️🎯‼️‼️‼️‼️‼️

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file