Comments

• 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭✭✭

moonlightmint.com - his website.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,145 ✭✭✭✭✭

@7Jaguars said:

...or is @Nickpatton referring to @Bigpoppas ?

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • NickpattonNickpatton Posts: 363 ✭✭✭✭

@oih82w8 said:

@7Jaguars said:

...or is @Nickpatton referring to @Bigpoppas ?

I’m asking if y’all know how to get in touch with bigpoppas....... are y’all saying Dan Carr and bigpoppas are the same⁉️⁉️‼️⁉️⁉️

• Mr Lindy Mr Lindy Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 8, 2022 5:46PM

I bought DC goodies from Bigpoppas in California I think, and it seems he's gone dark here since 2019. Sadly I might assume, RIP Moonlight Mint Brother

@LindyS said:
    I bought DC goodies from Bigpoppas in California I think, and it seems he's gone dark here since 2019. Sadly I might assume, RIP Moonlight Mint Brother

I bought this from him May 2020...... his shop on eBay is still open........ I tried to contact him by writing a letter to the address that the item was sent from and didn’t get a response . I not sure if it’s him running his store on Fleabay‼️

• ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's easier to see in the hand than photograph, but the "S" is plainly visible ghosted beneath the overstrike.

Amazing to have one struck over a 1934-S Peace Dollar . . .

A boy can dream, can't he . . . . ?

Z

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

35mm PCCB slab works well too.

Z

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,145 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really nice strike! FN - Full Nose.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,467 ✭✭✭✭✭

Five on the way, the wait begins..... :#

• LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good Luck BS!

It's all about what the people want...

May all your returns be MS71‼️👀🎯👍‼️‼️‼️....... a little BS for BS‼️‼️‼️‼️But really MS70’s‼️👍

The new Ultra High Relief looks good as jewelry in this necklace I made using jade and an air-tite “universal ornament capsule ‼️I can put any size piece in it as long as it’s silver eagle size, (40)mm or less, with the inset they sell‼️

@Zoins said:
    Okay everyone, here's an experiment. As mentioned earlier, it would be great to have a Daniel Carr Minting Society something similar.

I've been thinking about how to run this without duplicating a lot of the effort that's already happening or ending up with a lot of effort that's only done by me, leading to burnout :)

I'm working on an article for focusing on Dan's "error" coins for a major publication in the August time frame and while I have a few of these myself and Dan's been gracious enough to let me use his photos, I think it could be fun to open up the article to showcase pieces from fellow collectors. We have enough pieces for the article as is but I think it could be fun to let people contribute.

So here's the idea:

1. People can contribute "error" coins for the article, including photos and content / descriptions
    2. The article will be published in association with the Minting Society
    3. If you are okay to have your name published, the photos will be attributed to you. If you desire not to have your name shown, it will say "Minting Society member" or something

What do people think? As mentioned, I'm okay to do this article without this, but if people want in, it could be a fun way to kick off the society as we experiment with what works in the context of having a forum for our basis of communication.

Phenomenal idea!

Z

Love the idea too,Zoins‼️I’m gonna email you my latest error..... the “ the Drooling Eagle‼️🎯👀‼️

edited April 12, 2022 3:19AM

I do not recall exact name, but 32Coupe had posted images here of several double struck and multi struck bust halves. Does he continue to exist somewhere else ?

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:
    Okay everyone, here's an experiment. As mentioned earlier, it would be great to have a Daniel Carr Minting Society something similar.

I've been thinking about how to run this without duplicating a lot of the effort that's already happening or ending up with a lot of effort that's only done by me, leading to burnout :)

I'm working on an article for focusing on Dan's "error" coins for a major publication in the August time frame and while I have a few of these myself and Dan's been gracious enough to let me use his photos, I think it could be fun to open up the article to showcase pieces from fellow collectors. We have enough pieces for the article as is but I think it could be fun to let people contribute.

So here's the idea:

1. People can contribute "error" coins for the article, including photos and content / descriptions
    3. If you are okay to have your name published, the photos will be attributed to you. If you desire not to have your name shown, it will say "Minting Society member" or something

What do people think? As mentioned, I'm okay to do this article without this, but if people want in, it could be a fun way to kick off the society as we experiment with what works in the context of having a forum for our basis of communication.

Okay. Here's some more information on this article.

It will focus on issues that look substantially like U.S. Mint coins, with a primary focus on fantasy dates. Things beyond fantasy dates can be considered but may need to appear in a different article in the future.

If there's interest, I can post a draft article when it's ready so people can take a look and comment.

No coins need to be sent.

@LindyS said:
    I do not recall exact name, but 32Coupe had posted images here of several double struck and multi struck bust halves. Does he continue to exist somewhere else ?

I'm not sure, but it would be great if he is. His posts first got me thinking about these pieces seriously since this was a big collecting focus of his.

@Farmer1961 said:
    That is super cool!!! I placed an order to Dan Carr for a 1934 $20 Sain Gaudens fantasy strike but he sold out and my check was misplaced. MR. Carr offered to strike one more coin or he had a multiple strike piece he would give me instead. I took the multiple strike coin and is is a fantastic triple struck coin.

@Farmer1961 said:
    I will try and post an image of the triple struck 1934 soon.

This would be a great feature for your newsletter, @zoins

I love the story Farmer1961, and cant wait to see how this one looks...

edited April 12, 2022 7:16AM

I think I saw the 1934 $20 triple strike at Colorado Springs Coin Show a few years ago. The 3 or 4 strikes were all over the place, if it's the same one. Daniel had it in a flip in his pocket.

@LukeMarshall said:

@Farmer1961 said:
    That is super cool!!! I placed an order to Dan Carr for a 1934 $20 Sain Gaudens fantasy strike but he sold out and my check was misplaced. MR. Carr offered to strike one more coin or he had a multiple strike piece he would give me instead. I took the multiple strike coin and is is a fantastic triple struck coin.

@Farmer1961 said:
    I will try and post an image of the triple struck 1934 soon.

This would be a great feature for your newsletter, @zoins

I love the story Farmer1961, and cant wait to see how this one looks...

• TopcatCoinTopcatCoin Posts: 90 ✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@Zoins said:

So here's the idea:

Okay. Here's some more information on this article.

It will focus on issues that look substantially like U.S. Mint coins, with a primary focus on fantasy dates. Things beyond fantasy dates can be considered but may need to appear in a different article in the future.

If there's interest, I can post a draft article when it's ready so people can take a look and comment.

No coins need to be sent.

I'm new to this group but have been collecting Dan's work and have followed this thread for years. I think this is a great idea! I am not allowed to post pics (or even change my avatar pic yet), but will do so when the moderators allow it. TC

• SPalladinoSPalladino Posts: 864 ✭✭✭✭✭

While I have a sizable collection of Dan's pieces that he's put out over the years, I have exactly one piece that might be considered an error piece.....an ex- @Nickpatton 2017 4th gathering of the so-called dollar fellowship with a rotated second strike on aluminum. This would not qualify under the "focus on issues that look substantially like U.S. Mint coins, with a primary focus on fantasy dates".
    I look forward to seeing the complete article! I love looking through Dan's catalogue of minted pieces. I read of some of the 'errors' within each production, but, expectedly, photos are lacking of those 'error' pieces within his catalogue. This article with fill in the gap between his catalogue, where the primary issues are photographed, and the 'errors', which are only described.
    @Zoins - will the article be limited to 'errors' that Dan let out into the wild, or will any of the 'errors' be covered that he may have retained for his personal collection, and perhaps have no other examples in the wild?

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
    - DIVa (Designated Ike Varieties) Project co-lead and attributor
    edited April 12, 2022 6:22PM

Awesome @felinfoel! Both of those are great to include!

Benny @Voyageur was a great person, forum member and Dan Carr collector, helping many people get started with Dan's work. We can dedicate the article to his memory.

Here's the thread for Benny.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1038351/benny-haimovitz-rip

In addition to products that look substantially like U.S. Mint coins, products that look substantially like U.S. Mint medals can be included as well, where I'm primarily thinking of the 2020 Wilson Dollar Centennial.

edited April 12, 2022 7:21PM

@felinfoel said:

@Zoins said:
    Awesome @felinfoel! Both of those are great to include!

Benny @Voyageur was a great person, forum member and Dan Carr collector, helping many people get started with Dan's work. We can dedicate the article to his memory.

Here's the thread for Benny.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1038351/benny-haimovitz-rip

In addition to products that look substantially like U.S. Mint coins, products that look substantially like U.S. Mint medals can be included as well, where I'm primarily thinking of the 2020 Wilson Dollar Centennial.

Like this one? :)

That's a good one :+1:

Though I might lean more towards the non-plated one. For this audience, gold plating may be seen has PMD :o

• COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

.> @Bullsitter said:

Will trade Peace Dollar for 900 of this eggs.

Just-a-coincidence: 1936 Proof coins - Greysheet feature editorial.

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

Very informative @COCollector , great info on the US Mint 1936 proof sets…

• GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,459 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bullsitter said:
    Will trade Peace Dollar for 900 of these eggs.

Will you accept expired dated eggs?

GrandAm :)

Hey Bullsitter, you probably shouldn’t do that deal if someone takes you up on it‼️..... 900 x 170 calories = 153000 calories ‼️‼️🎯👀‼️Although you would carry way more weight around here than you already do..... after you ate them all‼️‼️‼️👀🎯‼️

• D808LFD808LF Posts: 452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Has anyone here had these monster 50mm two-ouncers graded at 'AN@C$'? ;-)

fka renman95, Sep 2005, 7,000 posts

• coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,703 ✭✭✭✭✭

@D808LF said:

I don’t own one but just about everything I do own of Daniels is slabbed at anacs
    Beautiful

• BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,467 ✭✭✭✭✭

@D808LF said:

This is from Dan's site.

ANACS, submitted items must not be larger than 40.6mm in diameter.

• SPalladinoSPalladino Posts: 864 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bullsitter said:

@D808LF said:

This is from Dan's site.

Correct - ANACS cannot / will not slab large diameter coins (eg, 50mm). Personal experience.

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
    - DIVa (Designated Ike Varieties) Project co-lead and attributor
  • edgaredgar Posts: 886 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 28, 2022 5:00AM

@Bullsitter said:

@D808LF said:

This is from Dan's site.

The Carr Octagon Owls are the maximum fit for ANACS holders.

I have several Carr 50mm items and ANACS said exactly what @D808LF said

(l8-)>>

• D808LFD808LF Posts: 452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ugh! I vaguely remember someone here making their own slabs or buying slabs and customizing them. I just want to get these 2 oz rounds out of their flips, they're starting to tarnish at the top which is common with DC silver and copper.

fka renman95, Sep 2005, 7,000 posts

• edgaredgar Posts: 886 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 28, 2022 4:58AM

@D808LF said:
    Ugh! I vaguely remember someone here making their own slabs or buying slabs and customizing them. I just want to get these 2 oz rounds out of their flips, they're starting to tarnish at the top which is common with DC silver and copper.

@ZoidMeister said:

@D808LF said:

Hey Bro,
    Throw us a website link to the place your getting these “ odd size “ slabs bro‼️
    Thanks,
    🐢Turtle 🐢

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file