Home U.S. Coin Forum

Dan Carrs latest

Comments

• pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PipestonePete said:

@pcgscacgold said:
    The 2022 Ultra High Relief Silver Winged Saint is back in stock on the Moonlight Mint page.

Fewer than 5 left.

All gone again.

• TomBTomB Posts: 21,108 ✭✭✭✭✭

Holy Cow!

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,467 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ZoidMeister said:
    One small indication that you JUST MIGHT have a Daniel Carr collecting problem.

Z

• GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,459 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bullsitter said:

@ZoidMeister said:

Z

If you leave those rubber bands on those flips eventually the end coins will be marked with a stripe where the rubber band was.

GrandAm :)
  • U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GRANDAM said:

@Bullsitter said:

@ZoidMeister said:

Z

If you leave those rubber bands on those flips eventually the end coins will be marked with a stripe where the rubber band was.

I’m guessing those are all empty flips and he moved the coins into his own slabs.

• GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,459 ✭✭✭✭✭

I never though of that, the stacks are kinda thin,,,,

GrandAm :)
  • ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GRANDAM said:
    I never though of that, the stacks are kinda thin,,,,

Zoid = GrandAm Light . . . .

Z

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

Busy Chasing Carr's???..... I'd say; you caught them!! Very nice!! 👍🏻

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• NickpattonNickpatton Posts: 363 ✭✭✭✭

@ZoidMeister said:

@U1chicago said:

@GRANDAM said:

@Bullsitter said:

@ZoidMeister said:

Z

I’m guessing those are all empty flips and he moved the coins into his own slabs.

I need an intervention . . . .

Z

I can counsel ya for free‼️‼️‼️
    Personally, I don’t think you have a problem, …… or you have the same problem I have….. not enough money to buy all of the koolest pieces on the planet you want‼️‼️‼️‼️‼️

• D808LFD808LF Posts: 452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Zoid, do you make your own labels? Asking for a friend. ;-)

(I just bought several of those holders that you show.)

fka renman95, Sep 2005, 7,000 posts

• silverbulsilverbul Posts: 139 ✭✭✭

WOW

edited May 26, 2022 1:03PM

@D808LF said:
    Zoid, do you make your own labels? Asking for a friend. ;-)

(I just bought several of those holders that you show.)

Yeah, I lay them out in an Excel spreadsheet and print them on full sheet label stock. I have a color laser printer that creates really sharp images.

Using a faint gray border between spreadsheet cells and a full sheet paper cutter helps.

Z

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

Thx Zoid, great examples.

• SimpleCollectorSimpleCollector Posts: 536 ✭✭✭✭✭

Zoid,

The DC items seem like a large collection. Focused and with purpose. I don’t see a problem.

That said, I wouldn’t show this group a picture of all your non DC exonumia flips. You might get a different answer.

Troof . . . .

Z

@SimpleCollector said:
    Zoid,

The DC items seem like a large collection. Focused and with purpose. I don’t see a problem.

That said, I wouldn’t show this group a picture of all your non DC exonumia flips. You might get a different answer.

Dibbs on the third one back on the left.

Z

• Mr Lindy Mr Lindy Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭✭✭

Roll top anacs are unique.
    As we are dibb'n I pick left row 5th from back, 1861, I wonder what that is ;^)
    I assume you rehomed the 24k business penny art dated 1792 ?

If not then lets chat Chief

Lindy

• nk1nknk1nk Posts: 477 ✭✭✭✭

Did Dan retire?

• dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,309 ✭✭✭✭✭

If anyone is interested there is a scarce copper 2006 Denver Mint Centennial medal (TAMS edition) on eBay for $60:

https://ebay.com/itm/334451560278

Disclaimer: I am not associated with the seller and I do not know who they are (not by their eBay ID, anyway).

I've sold 11 DC overstrikes this past month on the 'bay. Nine were raw, two were graded. All auctions began at 99 cents, 10-day, had some pleasant surprises. If you're interested in the results, PM me.

• BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,467 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 12, 2022 1:22PM

• LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 14, 2022 10:06AM

@PipestonePete said:

@pcgscacgold said:
    The 2022 Ultra High Relief Silver Winged Saint is back in stock on the Moonlight Mint page.

Fewer than 5 left.

Hey thanks again for posting this,

I initially ordered 1 piece when these first went on sale and got one of the first ones which looks lovely.

Dan said he had sand blasted the die a bit further after producing some so when you posted I jumped and got a second one. Next time I am close to them, ill take some pics together for compare/contrast.

It's all about what the people want...

There were a few Carrs that I sent out to ANACS recently, they got there last Monday and the grades were posted Friday. I choose to get the Gold imaged through their service and picked registered mail as a return shipping service.

Six coins - all 69s and 70s split down the middle 3 & 3.
    Very pleased with the results and will share some pics when they are in hand.

Just to add,

I think that ANACS is the premier grading service for anything Daniel Carr.
    They have obviously seen and encapsulated much of his work, so their experience outclasses any other TPG that may slab "one or two" of Dan's work.

Honorable Mention to ICG for slabbing the breadth of Moonlight mint items, but alas I have no experience with them... yet. There are some smaller diameter pieces in my collection that would look good in their tinier slab that I may send out soon and will report back.

• edgaredgar Posts: 886 ✭✭✭✭

Alas! The shelves are bare. 😔

(l8-)>>

It has gotten very quiet here. Some of the people that post a lot have gone away. No new things posted in a while. All the way back into May to see new things. Where has everyone gone? Summer break? I hope DC puts some new items up for sale soon.......

• SPalladinoSPalladino Posts: 864 ✭✭✭✭✭

Time to focus on filling in some older DC collection needs.

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
    - DIVa (Designated Ike Varieties) Project co-lead and attributor

@LukeMarshall said:

@pcgscacgold said:
    It has gotten very quiet here. Some of the people that post a lot have gone away. No new things posted in a while. All the way back into May to see new things. Where has everyone gone? Summer break? I hope DC puts some new items up for sale soon.......

Here is a sneak peek for you…

Giving ANACS praise for the grading time of 5 business days, the slab image was posted 4 business days later.

Here is an image of the token in the catalog,

And here is the “Slab View”

Exciting that it graded a 70, yes!!

But, I think the Eagle is supposed to face the reverse… 🤔 I called them to see if they could re-orient the coin but it had shipped already.

I don’t know, the more I look at it, the more I like the current orientation…

What you y’all think?

I like that one a lot and it looks good that way in the slab. I am guessing since the other side says "Twenty D" and that is the reverse of a Double Eagle they placed it this way. I hope the ANA has more DC items to pick from.

• TomBTomB Posts: 21,108 ✭✭✭✭✭

ANACS got the slab orientation of that one right, in my opinion.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• BucketHeadBucketHead Posts: 129 ✭✭✭

Someone has listed one of Dan's 2022 gold St. Gaudens (MS-70) on the bay. I'm kind of surprised to see one on the market so quickly. Beautiful token.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/134157716635?hash=item1f3c6c4c9b:g:2WEAAOSw5cpiugzB

@BucketHead

That one is a nice example. Perhaps they just needed some money, who can say

but...

with a starting price of
    $3250
    and no ebay store it will incur a 13% final value fee
    The Cost of the Medal was
    and Grading Fees
    shipping and returning from ANACS
    -21 (conservative)
    and packing and shipping to future customer (with insurance)

= $100

And the seller is making a grand total of about $100 bucks on that Item
    Ebay is the biggest winner by far in that equation.

@LukeMarshall said:
    @BucketHead

That one is a nice example. Perhaps they just needed some money, who can say

but...

with a starting price of
    $3250
    and no ebay store it will incur a 13% final value fee
    The Cost of the Medal was
    and Grading Fees
    shipping and returning from ANACS
    -21 (conservative)
    and packing and shipping to future customer (with insurance)

= $100

And the seller is making a grand total of about $100 bucks on that Item
    Ebay is the biggest winner by far in that equation.

Seems like a very tough way to make $100. Should have sold the recent Peace Dollar offering. Me, I’m keeping them. Hoping some new things come out soon.

Way too much work for a 100 dollar profit but I'm assuming that the seller is anticipating that it will end higher than that based on the grade. I wish the pictures had a bit more definition. In some of the other images of similar tokens from this run there have bee significant visible artifacts from the maple leaf remaining.

• dunkleosteus430dunkleosteus430 Posts: 471 ✭✭✭✭

Can he legally put "United States of America Two Thousand Dollars" on there? The gold's not even worth that much.

Young Numismatist

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 30, 2022 12:11AM

@LukeMarshall said:

@pcgscacgold said:

Here is a sneak peek for you…

Giving ANACS praise for the grading time of 5 business days, the slab image was posted 4 business days later.

Here is an image of the token in the catalog,

And here is the “Slab View”

Exciting that it graded a 70, yes!!

But, I think the Eagle is supposed to face the reverse… 🤔 I called them to see if they could re-orient the coin but it had shipped already.

I don’t know, the more I look at it, the more I like the current orientation…

What you y’all think?

I like it the way that it is. It's cool that it says:

CLARK GRUBER & CO.
    CARR EMSLIE & CO.

@Bullsitter said:

@pcgscacgold said:

Been on vacation and off social media for 7 days, ahhhhh yes.

No coins but some Chilton County peaches, the July Princes.

Peach Farm,

Our basket,

Welcome back. I bet those taste amazing. Never had a fresh from the tree peach. A lot of apples while picking so if anything like that, wow.

@dunkleosteus430 said:
    Can he legally put "United States of America Two Thousand Dollars" on there? The gold's not even worth that much."

Dan has been putting symbolic values on his tokens for some time and if it were illegal I think he would have stopped by now. As far as that "symbolic" value goes, as of writing this gold spot is $1,816 and a standard 1oz gold round over at APMEX, quantity of 1, paid for by CC, will set you back $1,991... Close enough to 2K for me and much more accurate than the Gresham's Law driven $50.00 face value that the mint is slapping on the AGE's.

• NickpattonNickpatton Posts: 363 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 3, 2022 7:19PM

@LukeMarshall said:

@PipestonePete said:

@pcgscacgold said:

Fewer than 5 left.

Hey thanks again for posting this,

I initially ordered 1 piece when these first went on sale and got one of the first ones which looks lovely.

Dan said he had sand blasted the die a bit further after producing some so when you posted I jumped and got a second one. Next time I am close to them, ill take some pics together for compare/contrast.

I thought the later minted looked different .In fact I thought they looked like matte proofs ‼️🎯👍‼️‼️Here’s a pic of 6 of mine……. 4 on the left were purchased as soon as Dan put them up in his store. The two on the right were purchased weeks after the first four,( I can’t tell you which ones I like more)‼️‼️‼️‼️‼️‼️‼️
    Dan’s never ceases to amaze me‼️‼️🎯👀‼️‼️
    Dan’s tha man‼️‼️👍👍‼️👀‼️‼️‼️‼️‼️

I hope somebody here won the 2009 half-oz DC gold piece that ended last night at GC. I think it had a pop of 21 in all. I was going to bid but am doing everything I can to stay patient to over pay for a couple of his one oz versions when available.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file