Home U.S. Coin Forum

Dan Carrs latest

Comments

• jshaulisjshaulis Posts: 815 ✭✭✭✭

@pcgscacgold said:
    I hope somebody here won the 2009 half-oz DC gold piece that ended last night at GC. I think it had a pop of 21 in all. I was going to bid but am doing everything I can to stay patient to over pay for a couple of his one oz versions when available.

I was going to bid than fireworks happened.

Successful transactions with forum members commoncents05, dmarks, Coinscratch, Bullsitter, DCW, TwoSides2aCoin, Namvet69 (facilitated for 3rd party), Tetromibi, ProfLizMay, MASSU2, MWallace, Bruce7789, Twobitcollector, 78saen, U1chicago, Rob41281

• pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jshaulis said:

@pcgscacgold said:
    I hope somebody here won the 2009 half-oz DC gold piece that ended last night at GC. I think it had a pop of 21 in all. I was going to bid but am doing everything I can to stay patient to over pay for a couple of his one oz versions when available.

I see it went for $900. That was going to be my final bid amount. That’s under just $2000 an oz. The 2022 Winged Saints we’re about $700 over spot so a higher premium. It a nice piece and at MS70 they were lucky to get it at that price. I have seen quarter oz go for $700.

@pcgscacgold said:

@jshaulis said:

@pcgscacgold said:

I see it went for $900. That was going to be my final bid amount. That’s under just $2000 an oz. The 2022 Winged Saints we’re about $700 over spot so a higher premium. It a nice piece and at MS70 they were lucky to get it at that price. I have seen quarter oz go for $700.

I would have pushed it up a bit more but just lost track of time. To your point, someone got a nice piece at a nice price.

Successful transactions with forum members commoncents05, dmarks, Coinscratch, Bullsitter, DCW, TwoSides2aCoin, Namvet69 (facilitated for 3rd party), Tetromibi, ProfLizMay, MASSU2, MWallace, Bruce7789, Twobitcollector, 78saen, U1chicago, Rob41281

• TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone know what's going on with the Moonlight Mint?
    Is Dan Carr is OK?

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 4, 2022 4:25PM

@LukeMarshall said:

@jshaulis said:

@pcgscacgold said:

@jshaulis said:

@pcgscacgold said:

I would have pushed it up a bit more but just lost track of time. To your point, someone got a nice piece at a nice price.

I won the auction for the 1/2oz Dcarr from Great collections.

I figured spot is about 1800 and I hated to see a nice piece go for under spot. Yes there was an additional buyers fee of about $100 but considering it’s a graded piece , special finish, and hand signed… well I pulled the trigger. It’s not really in my wheelhouse of Carr collectibles, so I may list it privately in the future.

Oh and to the point of paying $700 the the quarter eagles. I’m pretty sure the 2022 from moonlight mint was $725 so if you can find them under that I think that’s doing good… the last one I picked up off the secondary market was the 2014 matte which I paid $800 for about a year ago… haven’t seen one come up for sale since.

Congrats! What a great piece for a great price!

Glad a forum member got it :+1::)

@Twobitcollector said:
    Is Dan Carr is OK?

He has been posting on various threads so maybe just taking some time away from the mint. > @LukeMarshall said:

@jshaulis said:

@pcgscacgold said:

@jshaulis said:

@pcgscacgold said:

I figured spot is about 1800 and I hated to see a nice piece go for under spot. Yes there was an additional buyers fee of about $100 but considering it’s a graded piece , special finish, and hand signed… well I pulled the trigger. It’s not really in my wheelhouse of Carr collectibles, so I may list it privately in the future.

Oh and to the point of paying $700 the the quarter eagles. I’m pretty sure the 2022 from moonlight mint was $725 so if you can find them under that I think that’s doing good… the last one I picked up off the secondary market was the 2014 matte which I paid $800 for about a year ago… haven’t seen one come up for sale since.

Congratulations. I was thinking maybe you would be bidding and left it alone. My point is for a price to spot you did really well. If Dan did a 2022 half oz it would probably have been around $1400.

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,873 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it looks great!

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon, NickPatton, ProfLiz, Twobitcollector,Jesbroken

• TomBTomB Posts: 21,108 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I recall correctly the 1/2 gold was consigned by one of our members and she advertised it on one or two of the boards here, but might not have mentioned it in this thread.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,873 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dan posted an interesting estate sale adventure. It'll happen in due time. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon, NickPatton, ProfLiz, Twobitcollector,Jesbroken

@TomB said:
    If I recall correctly the 1/2 gold was consigned by one of our members and she advertised it on one or two of the boards here, but might not have mentioned it in this thread.

Too bad. I stopped watching BST for Dan Carr gold. Most threads were from people buying it, not selling.

@pcgscacgold said:

@TomB said:

Too bad. I stopped watching BST for Dan Carr gold. Most threads were from people buying it, not selling.

I'm actively buying but pieces I want generally aren't available. It seems like a lot of pieces are in very strong hands.

@Zoins said:

@pcgscacgold said:

@TomB said:

I'm actively buying but pieces I want generally aren't available. It seems like a lot of pieces are in very strong hands.

I would give you 5 agrees if I could. Low pop + strong hands = little turnover.

• 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LukeMarshall said:

@jshaulis said:

@pcgscacgold said:

@jshaulis said:

@pcgscacgold said:

Yes, I have been one of the clowns looking for the 2014 matte 1/4 as I bought only the PL that year. Ugggh. One day...

Funny how we get a Jones for Danny's products - I have to reel myself in to not buy everything he comes out with!

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

A lot to catch up on DC ☺️ Thank you all for keeping me updated through your posts.

• LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭✭✭

@7Jaguars said:

@LukeMarshall said:
    … the last one I picked up off the secondary market was the 2014 matte which I paid $800 for about a year ago… haven’t seen one come up for sale since.

Yes, I have been one of the clowns looking for the 2014 matte 1/4 as I bought only the PL that year. Ugggh. One day...

Funny how we get a Jones for Danny's products - I have to reel myself in to not buy everything he comes out with!

I had purchased the 2013 which is a native gold alloy of 82.5%.

I specifically remember when the 2014 1/4s dropped , I thought they would continue to be native unrefined gold, but instead they were .999 and had two options - matte and PL. I noped out on ordering those, and didn’t catch the bug again untill a member here offered me 2014/15/16 in one deal. I made up some ground but am still short two dates, but my eyes are peeled! 👀

It's all about what the people want...

@TomB said:

I read the post on the US coin BST.

The story was great as the coin was initially not for sale as it was a “new” finish that Dan was testing out but they “had to have it”

It’s little tidbits like that that just add to the piece…

edited July 5, 2022 7:59AM

@LukeMarshall said:

@TomB said:

I read the post on the US coin BST.

The story was great as the coin was initially not for sale as it was a “new” finish that Dan was testing out but they “had to have it”

It’s little tidbits like that that just add to the piece…

I believe this is the thread. Posting here for posterity as some BST threads disappear after the sale.

Ends 7/3: Daniel Carr gold piece on Great Collections-- 2009 500 Amero concept

@Stork said:
    I've had this coin for well over a decade and have posted it on 'Dan Carr' threads a few times. I've enjoyed owning it, and I enjoyed the process in obtaining it (I met Mr. Carr at a Baltimore show and he initially wasn't selling it as it was a new surface process he was demonstrating IIRC, but I REALLY wanted it).

Eventually I sent it to ANACS for the autographed slab--I'm not sure what I've done with the original flip, I couldn't find it when I sent it to Great Collections.

In any case, I'm trying to go deeper into some of the more esoteric Japanese pieces and it was time to liquidate a few things. (The other stuff is non-US so won't get posted here), so that means finally selling stuff I've never followed more seriously.

One of my favorite bits about this is the mintage--total mintage 21 and "a fairly small number" given the matte finish.

The auction:
    https://greatcollections.com/Coin/1179111/2009-D-Dan-Carr-Matte-Gold-Concept-500-Amero-Token-ANACS-MS-69-AGW-04995-oz-Carr-Signed-Label

My two postings of it on CT and here.

Here--partway down the page.
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/980471/please-post-your-rare-dan-carr-coins/p1#pagetop://

CT--if I'm doing this right this will be a direct link to my post. A few posts below is Mr. Carr's reply regarding the mintage and finish. Someone above me in that post had commented on valuations and at the time (as I still am) I was clueless how to set value, so off to GC it went. Back in 2017 I was still planning on keeping it.

https://cointalk.com/threads/post-your-dan-carr-tokens-here-and-nowhere-else.288984/page-12#post-2674267

And from the Moonlight Mint population reports. Total mintage in satin 21, and 'some were given a post strike bead blasted & burnished matte finish', which Mr. Carr called "a fairly small number" in this finish in his own post a few below mine on that thread.

moonlightmint.com/dc-coin_alt_currency_list.htm

So, hopefully someone will like this as much as me, and it can find a home with a dedicated Dan Carr collector!

Here's the Moonlight Mint Catalog page. I really love all the experimentation Dan does and we need more documentation on them :)

Prototype Alternate Currency Coins by Moonlight Mint & Daniel Carr

• StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 5, 2022 10:01AM

@LukeMarshall said:

@jshaulis said:

@pcgscacgold said:

@jshaulis said:

@pcgscacgold said:

Glad someone who will appreciate it got it! I was a bit concerned as it sat under spot for quite awhile (adjusted for the buyer's fee)...wouldn't have minded a bidding war :wink: but seriously, it was fun to own it but it needed to go to someone who really collects his stuff. And not just buying for melt value and melting it!

In theory I still have the flip I bought it in, but I'm not exactly sure where I stuck it. If/when I find it, I'll let you know and send it your way. Getting it into the ANACS holder seemed like a no brainer with them having him do the slab signatures.

And now I have a few more dollars for a certain auction in Hong Kong!

@Stork said:
    Glad someone who will appreciate it got it! I was a bit concerned as it sat under spot for quite awhile (adjusted for the buyer's fee)...wouldn't have minded a bidding war :wink: but seriously, it was fun to own it but it needed to go to someone who really collects his stuff. And not just buying for melt value and melting it!

In theory I still have the flip I bought it in, but I'm not exactly sure where I stuck it. If/when I find it, I'll let you know and send it your way. Getting it into the ANACS holder seemed like a no brainer with them having him do the slab signatures.

And now I have a few more dollars for a certain auction in Hong Kong!

Thanks for that, and I look forward to seeing it in hand!

Funny as Im getting more excited , I just fell down a rabbit hole on the mythology of Pegasus this morning...

Appreciate that on the flip also, no worries if it doesnt show... but Im always a PM away. You did great by sending it to ANACS when you did as they moved from the hand signed label, to an Auto Pen so its always nice to see the early labels IMO.

Oh and best of luck at the Hong Kong Auction!!

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,143 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dan should be listing something really awesome before Friday. How do I know this? My slush fund has the remnants of my tears in it. :'(

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • silverbulsilverbul Posts: 139 ✭✭✭

@dcarr said:

@Twobitcollector said:
    Is Dan Carr is OK?

I am experiencing the typical summer slowdown in product offerings. And this year I have had more than the usual amount of distractions and personal (non-minting-related) projects to do. But I am working on some new things to offer in the next couple weeks.

Yeah so let his people go.

@dcarr said:

@Twobitcollector said:
    Is Dan Carr is OK?

I am experiencing the typical summer slowdown in product offerings. And this year I have had more than the usual amount of distractions and personal (non-minting-related) projects to do. But I am working on some new things to offer in the next couple weeks.

Thanks for the update Dan! I can't wait to see what's coming!

@pcgscacgold said:

@Zoins said:

@pcgscacgold said:

@TomB said:

I would give you 5 agrees if I could. Low pop + strong hands = little turnover.

Some fresh pieces on the bay now.

I just picked up one of Dan's pattern coins that I've been waiting for a long time!

• BucketHeadBucketHead Posts: 129 ✭✭✭

For those so inclined Dan has more 2022 Silver St. Gaudens up on the MM site.

Cheers

• TomBTomB Posts: 21,108 ✭✭✭✭✭

@alefzero said:

Now that is cool!

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

@BucketHead said:

Cheers

13 more by my count.

• alefzeroalefzero Posts: 958 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BucketHead said:

Cheers

Yeah, I had to pick up a couple more just on the chance of a different die finish from the aforementioned sand blasting. Even without a difference though, they are pretty neat and, being silver, at a good price point.

• alefzeroalefzero Posts: 958 ✭✭✭✭✭

What might be interesting, since the Mint bailed on 2022 releases, is for @dcarr to do 2022 Morgan and Peace overstrikes on 2021 Mint and original 90% silver ones for the different mints. Would be a weird hole filler between the official ones for 2021 and 2023. Just an idea.

• BucketHeadBucketHead Posts: 129 ✭✭✭

@alefzero said:
    What might be interesting, since the Mint bailed on 2022 releases, is for @dcarr to do 2022 Morgan and Peace overstrikes on 2021 Mint and original 90% silver ones for the different mints. Would be a weird hole filler between the official ones for 2021 and 2023. Just an idea.

I believe someone brought up this idea somewhere in the past year and DCarr had replied that he might consider closer to the end of the year although I don't think the 90% was mentioned. Most likely be trip9 silver if it were to occur.

• COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 8, 2022 1:31PM

@BucketHead said:

@alefzero said:

I believe someone brought up this idea somewhere in the past year and DCarr had replied that he might consider closer to the end of the year although I don't think the 90% was mentioned. Most likely be trip9 silver if it were to occur.

As I recall, Dan was prudently waiting until late 2022 just to be sure that the Mint doesn't come out with a last-minute 2022 Peace or Morgan dollar.

Now that the 2023 Mint's dollars are announced, I'd say Dan has a green light for 2022.

Hopefully Dan makes lots of varieties. Maybe even a 2022/1 overstrike.

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• D808LFD808LF Posts: 452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@COCollector said:

@BucketHead said:

@alefzero said:

As I recall, Dan was prudently waiting until late 2022 just to be sure that the Mint doesn't come out with a last-minute 2022 Peace or Morgan dollar.

Now that the 2023 Mint's dollars are announced, I'd say Dan has a green light for 2022.

Hopefully Dan makes lots of varieties. Maybe even a 2022/1 overstrike.

Or a 2022/MCMXXI Peace Dollar. That would be tough since he only made a 100 o/s on genuine 1921 P-$ and current owners would have to send them in if they wanted an overdate.

fka renman95, Sep 2005, 7,000 posts

• TopcatCoinTopcatCoin Posts: 90 ✭✭✭
    edited July 8, 2022 6:23PM

@Bullsitter said:

@pcgscacgold said:
    It has gotten very quiet here. Some of the people that post a lot have gone away. No new things posted in a while. All the way back into May to see new things. Where has everyone gone? Summer break? I hope DC puts some new items up for sale soon.......

Been on vacation and off social media for 7 days, ahhhhh yes.

No coins but some Chilton County peaches, the July Princes.

Peach Farm,

Our basket,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvAnQqVJ3XQ

I’m all in if Dan makes a 2022 HR Peace and a 2022 Morgan.

• Mr Lindy Mr Lindy Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 10, 2022 4:33PM

@dcarr Hope you feel better soon!

• ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dcarr
    In honor of your speedy recovery, and I think this calls for a 2022 Covid Hard Times medal as well . . . . !

Z

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• silverbulsilverbul Posts: 139 ✭✭✭

@dcarr said:
    Yes, I do plan to make "2022" Morgan and Peace late this year, assuming that the US Mint does not. I will decide at that time what varieties to produce (Arabic date, Roman Date, mint marks, etc). Any such items will be over-struck on Morgan & Peace Dollars of 1878-1935.

PS:
    I am currently recovering from another bout with Covid-19. This is the third time I've had it. February 2020, then October 2021, and now. I'm sure all three times were a different strain.

I am feeling quite a bit better today than the couple of days prior, and it appears that this third round will have the shortest duration of the three episodes. This has put yet another delay in my production and new product offerings. But I expect to get back to work at the mint tomorrow (although I will remain self-quarantined for the time being).

a 2022 reverse proof would be kool, just throwing that out there.

edited July 11, 2022 12:39AM

Sorry to hear that Dan! Take it easy and get better soon Dan!

I can't see what you come up with but hoping for a full recovery first!

• Mr Lindy Mr Lindy Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 11, 2022 5:47PM

Some buy wall art, instead I am lucky to add Carr Coinage Art to my mind palace.
    Stay strong Daniel !!!

Covid is wacky now, even for quad vaxxers.

Seems I need to deploy the n95s again.

• Che_GrapesChe_Grapes Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

I also had covid last week and it was terrible! But I finally tested negative today!!

Meanwhile - agree with someone above that a 22 covid coin would be cool!
    I love your peace overstrikes - I’ll be on the lookout. I’m a huge fan...

• PipestonePetePipestonePete Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BucketHead said:

Cheers

"OUT OF STOCK" and Mintage Figures page shows it as "MINTAGE (FINAL) 250".

• cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭✭✭

Get well soon @dcarr

Many happy BST transactions

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file