Home U.S. Coin Forum

Dan Carrs latest

Comments

• nk1nknk1nk Posts: 477 ✭✭✭✭

Annoyed I was camping this weekend and missed out completely but even more annoyed the items didn’t remain on his site marked sold out so I could at least see what I missed out on. 🤷🏽‍♂️

• ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭✭✭

@nk1nk said:
    Annoyed I was camping this weekend and missed out completely but even more annoyed the items didn’t remain on his site marked sold out so I could at least see what I missed out on. 🤷🏽‍♂️

Here you go . . . . . .

http://www.dc-coin.com/fantasyover-struckusacoins.aspx

Z

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• SPalladinoSPalladino Posts: 864 ✭✭✭✭✭

Early production report on the o/s on Seated Liberty Dollar coins: http://www.moonlightmint.com/blog_52.htm

eleven - 1837-0 die pair 1
    ten - 1853-O die pair 2
    twelve - 1874-CC die pair 3
    six - 1874-S die pair 4

I'm sure there will be more of the Seated Liberty Dollar coins being sent in over the next few weeks. That said, at this point the 1874-S appears to have the head start to the lowest production of these four.
    I wonder how the final production on these will end up compared to the 19 of each with MM counterstamp and edge lettering.

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
    - DIVa (Designated Ike Varieties) Project co-lead and attributor
  • oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,143 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2, 2022 12:26PM

@TopcatCoin said:
    Well, that didn’t take very long. Not mine.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/115481524472?hash=item1ae33c38f8:g:hfMAAOSwWHti6BVG

@TopcatCoin said:
    Well, that didn’t take very long. Not mine.

(S)He even swiped the images fron Dan's website.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SPalladino said:
    Early production report on the o/s on Seated Liberty Dollar coins: http://www.moonlightmint.com/blog_52.htm

eleven - 1837-0 die pair 1
    ten - 1853-O die pair 2
    twelve - 1874-CC die pair 3
    six - 1874-S die pair 4

I'm sure there will be more of the Seated Liberty Dollar coins being sent in over the next few weeks. That said, at this point the 1874-S appears to have the head start to the lowest production of these four.
    I wonder how the final production on these will end up compared to the 19 of each with MM counterstamp and edge lettering.

Still in the process of acquiring 4 Liberty Seated Dollars to get the set.

• COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2, 2022 1:49PM

.> @SPalladino said:

... I'm sure there will be more of the Seated Liberty Dollar coins being sent in over the next few weeks...

But maybe not as many as you'd expect. That is, I'm having a hard time finding a suitable host coin.

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• PipestonePetePipestonePete Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

Zoid, that's a nice original looking dollar....scratches and all. Are you considering having that over-struck??

@ZoidMeister said:
    You know, I just remembered (and found) this old "Details" coin I have laying around . . . . . .

I wonder . . . . . .

Z

That is the type I am searching for. Anything details so that it can be brought back to life. With the silver dollar version selling for $600 it isn't too far off to find a details coin and have that done. DC also commented that they come up much nicer.

@PipestonePete said:
    Zoid, that's a nice original looking dollar....scratches and all. Are you considering having that over-struck??

The spirit is willing but the wallet is weak . . . .

It's also the only Seated Liberty dollar that I own.

Z

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

@COCollector said:
    But maybe not as many as you'd expect. That is, I'm having a hard time finding a suitable host coin.

After the availability for purchased appeared on Moonlight Mint, there were some suitable host coins available on eBay, but those went quick and now only higher priced options remain.

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
  • jshaulisjshaulis Posts: 815 ✭✭✭✭

@COCollector said:
    .> @SPalladino said:

... I'm sure there will be more of the Seated Liberty Dollar coins being sent in over the next few weeks...

Same here. I'm worried what I pick will be "wrong" and what I get back is sub optimal leaving me disappointed. 🤷 maybe I'll sit out.

Successful transactions with forum members commoncents05, dmarks, Coinscratch, Bullsitter, DCW, TwoSides2aCoin, Namvet69 (facilitated for 3rd party), Tetromibi, ProfLizMay, MASSU2, MWallace, Bruce7789, Twobitcollector, 78saen, U1chicago, Rob41281

edited August 2, 2022 5:53PM

Never mind, they were half dollars . . . . .

@ZoidMeister said:
    Never mind, they were half dollars . . . . .

I got excited thinking he was doing halves next.....

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 3, 2022 1:01AM

@ZoidMeister said:
    It's not just the latest and greatest drawing deep pockets.

Here are a couple other recent sales.

Z

Great sales!

It would be great if some of these Carr Ike Dollars were posted in the "I Like Ike" thread :)

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/984747/i-like-ike-post-your-eisenhowers

• D808LFD808LF Posts: 452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@ZoidMeister said:

Z

Great sales!

Thx. ;)

fka renman95, Sep 2005, 7,000 posts

@Zoins said:

@ZoidMeister said:

Z

Great sales!

It would be great if some of these Carr Ike Dollars were posted in the "I Like Ike" thread :)

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/984747/i-like-ike-post-your-eisenhowers

First I've seen that thread.

Done.

Z

edited August 4, 2022 1:10PM

@ZoidMeister said:

I have Dan's 1970 Ag and CuNI die pair 4 Ikes, his 1975 Ag and CuNI die pair 5 Ikes, and his 1975 Ag die pair 1 Ike. These were the very first of Dan's art that I started collecting. I had some redundancies of these, and sold off all but one redundancy - the 1975 CuNi die pair 5 Ike depicted below (which is acquiring some nice target toning) (alongside Dan's 1975 Kennedy CuNi and Washington CuNi).

Wish I got into Dan Carr / Moonlight Mint collecting when the die pair 2 and die pair 3 production came out. Anyone here have all of the various Ike die pair options? (kudos, if so)

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
    edited August 3, 2022 9:21AM

ps......would love to see a Dan Carr / Moonlight Mint 1979 CuNi Eisenhower Dollar some day.

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
  • drfishdrfish Posts: 939 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 3, 2022 1:05PM

@dcarr How much time do we have to track down a Seated dollar ? Economical options are quite scarce at the moment. Would a counter stamp be a disqualification ?
    Thanks!

• COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 3, 2022 10:43AM

.> @drfish said:

@dcarr How much time do we have to start down a Seated dollar ? Economical options are quite scarce at the moment. Would a counter stamp be a disqualification ?
    Thanks!

I'm hoping we'll be able to order for many months.

But maybe the real question is, how long can we delay submitting a host coin after ordering a Seated Dollar?

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• silverbulsilverbul Posts: 139 ✭✭✭

@ZoidMeister said:

Z

i have serious questions about these auctions, i was watching both closely to pick one up cheap, they were both at about 200 bucks cheap, an hour later they were both at 400 or more. funny thing is you can get the 1975 ike, 40% for 250. still listed.

• LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭✭✭

@silverbul ask @D808LF if he got paid for those Auctions and you will know if they were legit bids. If you got to his profile page there are some other recent acutions and prices realized - very interesting.

I bid strongly on a Die pair 1 "o mint" Morgan that I was missing - it was in a MS69 CAM holder from ANACS so maybe extra value there.

Anyway my $420 nuclear bid was blown out the water and I came up empty handed... so there are some heavy hitters picking up DCARR pieces it seems.

It's all about what the people want...

• D808LFD808LF Posts: 452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LukeMarshall said:
    @silverbul ask @D808LF if he got paid for those Auctions and you will know if they were legit bids. If you got to his profile page there are some other recent acutions and prices realized - very interesting.

I bid strongly on a Die pair 1 "o mint" Morgan that I was missing - it was in a MS69 CAM holder from ANACS so maybe extra value there.

Anyway my $420 nuclear bid was blown out the water and I came up empty handed... so there are some heavy hitters picking up DCARR pieces it seems.

Got paid, coins sent. :)

I have auction results on my wall if anyone is interested; does not reflect recent auctions. I've been very pleased with the results.

fka renman95, Sep 2005, 7,000 posts

• felinfoelfelinfoel Posts: 398 ✭✭✭✭

@LukeMarshall said:

I always thought the 1909-o Morgans were real sleepers. Back then everyone was so focused on getting Dan's original 1964 Peace overstrikes that his original Morgans flew under the radar.

That coin sold for $175 in 2011 on Dan's site. Add in grading, shipping, etc, and its over $200 in original cost. Then add in inflation. Plus CAM means a lot to some people (including me), so that boosts it. I sent three proof-like 1909s to ANACS years ago, and only one came back CAM.

Prices are definitely strong, but I think the recent prices on Dan's Washington quarters, Kennedy halves, those two Ikes, etc., are way crazier

• Mr Lindy Mr Lindy Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 4, 2022 7:07AM

Alot of Carr Art collectors buy & hold. Their strong hands help inflate resale of the few offers that trade hands.
    I have paid up for a few items I needed/wanted & appreciate the flippers or collectors who chose to part ways with their goodies.

I saw everything recently offered and jumped on nothing. I looked & looked & looked again over an hour, then stuff started selling out.
    I am not a fan of counter punches. They are still cool, highly desirable, obviously.

I don't buy MM items for resale. I guess at some point that will change due to aging out of my hobbies, but for last few decades that how I collect.

edited August 7, 2022 9:06AM

yep

• BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,467 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 4, 2022 11:42AM

This on just ended a minutes ago.... :#

edited August 7, 2022 9:07AM

@Bullsitter said:
    This on just ended a minutes ago.... :#

pretty cheap i think.

edited August 4, 2022 5:14PM

Very nice pieces @Bullsitter! Congrats on the newps and thanks for sharing!

• cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm very sad I missed out on every piece that I would have been interested in. They went too fast.

Many happy BST transactions

@cheezhed said:
    I'm very sad I missed out on every piece that I would have been interested in. They went too fast.

Now that the flippers have arrived things go really fast and then show up for sale fast and expensive. The Recent Peace Dollar was the same. Best of luck next time.

edited August 6, 2022 5:09PM

@pcgscacgold said:

@cheezhed said:

Now that the flippers have arrived things go really fast and then show up for sale fast and expensive. The Recent Peace Dollar was the same. Best of luck next time.

How many have been offered out of the 76?

@Zoins said:

@pcgscacgold said:

@cheezhed said:

I don't watch Ebay but remember someone posting a couple here that sold at close to $700 a few days after released.

edited August 5, 2022 6:52AM

@pcgscacgold said:

@Zoins said:

@pcgscacgold said:

@cheezhed said:

I don't watch Ebay but remember someone posting a couple here that sold at close to $700 a few days after released.

I’m guessing it’s just a few, like 2-4, but reviewing eBay completed sales can tell the story. Maybe I missed some?

@Zoins said:>
    I’m guessing it’s just a few, like 2-4, but reviewing eBay completed sales can tell the story. Maybe I missed some?

1 - on the SL Dollar and one for sale now.
    3 - on the 1936 Proof Peace.

• travlntiquestravlntiques Posts: 46 ✭✭✭

Just revisiting things with this thread, it's amazing how much the prices have increased on some of the older D. Carr pieces too! A real ground-swell since I last looked.....makes me want to start buying up these pups again! My 1916 Barber Halves & 22 Walkers are probably 7x what I paid for them!

That's a gorgeous Gobrecht, Chief!

"Character is doing the right thing when no one is watching". - J.C. Watts
    sarasotanumismatics.com
  • Mr Lindy Mr Lindy Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭✭✭

Carr is a true Intellectual Numismatist. As usual I will regret not buying something I saw factory fresh & available. But unlike my Coinage Art Hero Dan Man I cannot mint money. Sometimes the budget does not align with fun hobby expenditures. Buy what you love when you can. These shopping opportunities are fleeting.

• dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,308 ✭✭✭✭✭

@drfish said:
    @dcarr How much time do we have to track down a Seated dollar ? Economical options are quite scarce at the moment. Would a counter stamp be a disqualification ?
    Thanks!

I won't be cutting off orders any time soon, since people will need time to find some. A coin show might be a better bet than eBay right now.

A typical counter-stamp (advertising) is pretty deep and it would show traces after the over-strike.

• NickpattonNickpatton Posts: 363 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 6, 2022 10:48PM

I’m not sure which one of these I have.Dan made two kinds of these……one was pastel color-toned…… the other was vibrant color-toned. I bet someone knows which one this is ‼️I don’t care which one it is…… like most

of Dan’s stuff….. the more I look at it, the more I love it ‼️‼️👍🎯‼️‼️‼️‼️👀‼️

edited August 6, 2022 3:39PM

@Nickpatton said:
    I’m not sure which one of these I have.Dan made two kinds of these……one was pastel color-toned…… the other was vibrant color-toned. I bet someone knows which one this is ‼️I don’t care which one it is…… like most !

of Dan’s stuff….. the more I look at it, the more I love it ‼️‼️👍🎯‼️‼️‼️‼️👀‼️

There are prices against those so Dan should have photos on dc-coin.com you can compare against.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file