Options

Dan Carrs latest

Comments

• Options
    SPalladinoSPalladino Posts: 842 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinnmore said:
    Anybody get one of his new items he is selling as of late? TYIA

two oregon trails - both should be back from ANACS in MS70 holders soon
    a wide representation of his vintage canceled die products - they'll go to ANACS as soon as they get to me

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
    - DIVa (Designated Ike Varieties) Project co-lead and attributor
  • Options
    COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pcgscacgold said:
    I received a PM from another CU Member and DC's phone is going straight to voicemail.

Over the years I've called Dan a couple of times. Always to voicemail, so I think that's normal.

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• Options

@coinsarefun said:

@pcgscacgold said:

@Coinnmore said:

I have not and he has not replied to an email from 10 days ago asking if my Liberty DE arrived. I assume he is on vacation. He always replied within a day prior to this.

Same here. I was wondering what happened. I hope he’s just on vacation and having a great time.

I'm guessing he went to Las Vegas for the Numismatic Society Coin Show Oct 28-31: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1065804/las-vegas-show-report

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• Options
    ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:
    Those are awesome @ZoidMeister ! My Open House pieces mostly just singly overstruck. Doubles and triples are rare! Congrats!

I seem to gravitate to the multi-struck pieces. Even my 2012 MMOH is a multis-strike over a Susan B. Anthony $1.

I need to find my photos of a REALLY unusual MMOH overstrike . . . . .

Z

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• Options

@ZoidMeister said:

@Zoins said:
    Those are awesome @ZoidMeister ! My Open House pieces mostly just singly overstruck. Doubles and triples are rare! Congrats!

I seem to gravitate to the multi-struck pieces. Even my 2012 MMOH is a multis-strike over a Susan B. Anthony $1.

I need to find my photos of a REALLY unusual MMOH overstrike . . . . .

Z

No, not the 2015 Daniel Carr Niue Island overstrike . . . . . .

Another one.

Z

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• Options
    ExbritExbrit Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭✭

Wowsa

• Options

I found the REALLY weird one . . . .

This piece started out life as a 1964 Kennedy Silver Half Dollar. It was overstruck in 2020 with the 2020 Wilson / Manilla Mint 100th Anniversary medal dies. And it was finally overstruck with the 2020 Moonlight Mint Open House dies.

Because the original 1964 Kennedy Half host coin details are so elusive after two overstrikes, I highlighted the portions that remain in yellow. The Kennedy Half reverse is actually struck with the obverses of the two later overstrikes, just to help you orient yourself to what you are seeing.

Enjoy . . . . .

Z

Visible below from the Kennedy Half's reverse are a few stars an part of the words HALF DOLLAR.

Visible below from the Kennedy Half's obverse is the top of JFK's hair, part of the E & R in Liberty, and part of the 6 in the date.

• Options
    alefzeroalefzero Posts: 887 ✭✭✭✭✭

@COCollector said:

@coinsarefun said:

@pcgscacgold said:

@Coinnmore said:

I have not and he has not replied to an email from 10 days ago asking if my Liberty DE arrived. I assume he is on vacation. He always replied within a day prior to this.

Same here. I was wondering what happened. I hope he’s just on vacation and having a great time.

I'm guessing he went to Las Vegas for the Numismatic Society Coin Show Oct 28-31: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1065804/las-vegas-show-report

Yeah, just give a little time. Last email I got was on the 18th. Sent him coins to overstrike for the 2021 MMOH with a check on the 23rd. It was delivered to his POB on the 26th. He has not yet cashed the check. Probably just busy, perhaps out of town at a show as speculated. Dan commented on here not long ago it seems too.

• Options
    pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

@alefzero said:

@COCollector said:

@coinsarefun said:

@pcgscacgold said:

@Coinnmore said:

Yeah, just give a little time. Last email I got was on the 18th. Sent him coins to overstrike for the 2021 MMOH with a check on the 23rd. It was delivered to his POB on the 26th. He has not yet cashed the check. Probably just busy, perhaps out of town at a show as speculated. Dan commented on here not long ago it seems too.

I am new to this adventure. Can someone explain the part about sending coins in for 2021 MMOH and what cost there is for that? I don't remember seeing that on the order site but have seen some neat things that you all have been posting.

Thanks,

• Options
    alefzeroalefzero Posts: 887 ✭✭✭✭✭

MMOH are special arrangements made directly with him and are very limited (can't get a roll of coins done or anything like that). Best to message or email Dan directly to see.

• Options

@alefzero said:
    MMOH are special arrangements made directly with him and are very limited (can't get a roll of coins done or anything like that). Best to message or email Dan directly to see.

Thanks for the info. I will look into this once things start moving again.

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinsarefun said:
    Somehow I missed this being discussed and as usual I was researching something else and this came up.
    Is there someone here that sells these? Do we know who had them made?
    I’m particularly interested in one that might be slightly circulated. Any help wold be great!
    By the way if I’m reading it right some were struck in gold..wowsers!

I have the 1792 Chain Cent in 1/4 oz .999 silver in ICG MS69. It doesn't have the plug though. Mintage of 43 pcs.

GrandAm :)
  • Options

@alefzero said:

I've seen examples of just about every MMOH O/S item, and own a few of them as well, but I have never seen one from the first year he did these, even though the mintage figure for them isn't on the "low side."

Has anyone ever seen a MMOH O/S from 2009?

Z

• Options

Stuff is starting to ship! Just got emails. Excited to see the canceled die strikes.

• Options
    rooksmithrooksmith Posts: 972 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2, 2021 3:55PM

This is a weird thread indeed. But if you are interested I have some ICG encapsuled DC concept dollars to sell you at (almost) my cost. I will post pictures later. PS I am a fan of DC, but got a little bit exuberant when they were first released. Also -- limited edition for sure. not like my Gallery Mint coins, which are RARE and raw.

“When you don't know what you're talking about, it's hard to know when you're finished.” - Tommy Smothers
  • Options

“When you don't know what you're talking about, it's hard to know when you're finished.” - Tommy Smothers
  • Options

@rooksmith said:
    This is a weird thread indeed. But if you are interested I have some ICG encapsuled DC concept dollars to sell you at (almost) my cost. I will post pictures later. PS I am a fan of DC, but got a little bit exuberant when they were first released. Also -- limited edition for sure. not like my Gallery Mint coins, which are RARE and raw.

I could use the Sacagawea's . . . .

PM sent (a while ago) . . . . . .

Pick me, pick me . . . . !

Z

• Options

@ZoidMeister said:

@rooksmith said:

I could use the Sacagawea's . . . .

PM sent (a while ago) . . . . . .

Pick me, pick me . . . . !

Z

I hope my PM beat yours :smiley:

I have needs too.

• Options

@Bullsitter said:
    Not mine but some photos I've found over the years.

Anyone have any "orphans" that need a good home?

Sheesh, I cain't go on like this . . . . . .

Z

• Options

• Options

@ZoidMeister said:
    Z

PM sent.

• Options

@COCollector said:

@ZoidMeister said:
    Z

PM sent.

Yup, already responded!

Z

• Options
    Mr Lindy Mr Lindy Posts: 992 ✭✭✭✭✭

2015 is my favorite. You have 3, how cool is that ? Did you buy the group toned or are you toning them ?

@coinsarefun said:
    Not knew but a group image of the Clark Grubers

• Options

Good Lord, it's the Redfield Hoard . . . . . . .

• Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,674 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bullsitter said:

@coinsarefun said:
    A very heartfelt thank you goes to @Bullsitter for this most beautiful piece to enter my life. Thank you again!
    1792 Chain Cent O/S on 1816-1856 1c Silver plug. ANACS AU58

I only hope my images Can do justice to this magnificent piece. I think this is one of the top three
    if not the top piece of my favorite of all time. You can see the stars very faintly from the under type

Glad it's in a good home. Your images are way better than mine, can I have it back.... B)

Thanks, that mean a lot to me. I’ll inform my husband not to toss this one in the box when I go 6’ under if you’d
    rather have it. It’s such a beautiful piece of art.

• Options

Anybody wanna see a Chucky Cheese token . . . . . .

Sheesh . . . . . . . .

• Options

This thread is on the verge of exploding with newps. I can feel it.

Who will be the first to receive @Zoins Canceled die 1884-S Morgan creations? There are also the 1884-CC canceled die coins as well. So much to see.

• Options
    PipestonePetePipestonePete Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinsarefun said:
    A very heartfelt thank you goes to @Bullsitter for this most beautiful piece to enter my life. Thank you again!

I only hope my images Can do justice to this magnificent piece. I think this is one of the top three
    if not the top piece of my favorite of all time. You can see the stars very faintly from the under type

Great photos, Coinsarefun. That piece is the single nicest Dan Carr item I have seen. Wow.

• Options

@PipestonePete said:

@coinsarefun said:

Great photos, Coinsarefun. That piece is the single nicest Dan Carr item I have seen. Wow.

Thanks I feel the same way. And there are many beautiful things he has created.
    But this ranked pretty high with me.

• Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh my!!! That chain cent is spectacular! Congratulations on an incredible piece.
    Not surprised that it came from Bullsitters collection. He has some amazing pieces in his inventory.
    Some of my favorite Carrs came from Chief!

• Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh my — Chief lost his mind AGAIN selling a stellar piece! 😳 Some of my favs were from him too. Congrats!

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know where pcgs currently stands on grading Daniel cares? I was thinking about sending my Oregon trail piece in

• Options

@jwitten said:
    Does anyone know where pcgs currently stands on grading Daniel cares? I was thinking about sending my Oregon trail piece in

Not yet as it’s to new. ANACS is the best for now

• Options

@Akbeez said:
    Oh my — Chief lost his mind AGAIN selling a stellar piece! 😳 Some of my favs were from him too. Congrats!

I begged…..it was a pretty site but he is a gracious man.

• Options

@jwitten said:

By the way you should remember when I purchased the majority of the pieces from you including the signed strips.
    They really didn’t have any toning on them but some sure did tone up in my coin cabinet.

• Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 3, 2021 8:58PM

Is your cabinet near your bathroom? 🧐 Hubby may be a good toner 😉

Edited to add — that is a REALLY nice collection of Clark Gruber Octagons. WOWZA!!!

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    edited November 3, 2021 8:59PM

@Akbeez said:

:D no, not quite but they are .999 silver and they are 6 years old now. Some toned some didn’t.
    I have some d Carr stuff in the cabinet that has never toned……..same as the ase’s I guess.
    No special smoke and mirrors,, just a plain coin cabinet drawers with felt lined. I like the old look and feel of the
    Cabinet and ability to look at some of the not so expensive things

• Options
    GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Akbeez said:

Edited to add — that is a REALLY nice collection of Clark Gruber Octagons. WOWZA!!!

I agree. What a great series!

• Options
    Mr Lindy Mr Lindy Posts: 992 ✭✭✭✭✭

USPS INFORMED DELIVERY says:

Nov 03
    5:18 pm
    Departed Post Office
    LOVELAND,CO 80537

Nov 03
    10:43 am
    USPS in possession of item
    LOVELAND,CO 80537

• Options
    LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice before and after…

It's all about what the people want...

• Options
    LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

As @ZoidMeister would say…

It's all about what the people want...

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 4, 2021 6:50AM

@jwitten said:
    Does anyone know where pcgs currently stands on grading Daniel cares?

PCGS grades the ones cataloged in the Chester "Chet" Lee Krause book, "Unusual World Coins, 6th Edition". There are some threads on this:

This book primarily covers coin-related items, so Dan's medals, may not be covered, but a larger issue is that it hasn't been updated since October 13, 2011. An unfortunate thing is that the publisher declared bankruptcy in 2019 so another catalog may be needed.

I was thinking about sending my Oregon trail piece in

I haven't seen PCGS slab anything that wasn't cataloged in Krause yet but it may be worth trying as I've seen PCGS slab more items that don't have catalog numbers.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pcgscacgold said:
    This thread is on the verge of exploding with newps. I can feel it.

Who will be the first to receive @Zoins Canceled die 1884-S Morgan creations? There are also the 1884-CC canceled die coins as well. So much to see.

I'm excited to see them as well! After we antiqued a bunch I wanted to keep more of the antiqued ones but couldn't as they were reserved for sale. Can't wait to see what everyone got! There should be a lot going out soon.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file