Options

Dan Carrs latest

Comments

• Options
    pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 3, 2021 11:52AM

@Zoins said:

@pcgscacgold said:
    I finally found a candidate for the Type 3 Liberty DE restrike. An 1897 MS61 in ANACS slab. I did a search here and have not seen any postings of the restrike. Does anyone have one (sorry if I missed the post)? The satin finish worries me a little. It would be nice to hear from someone with one in hand. Thanks.

Why does it worry you? What finish would worry you less or not at all?

I have only seen one other and the person mentioned it looked like copper (even a dealer said that when he looked at it). I guess BU would be more of what I would look for in a description. Just wondering what kind of mint luster there is with Satin finish.

• Options
    ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 3, 2021 1:58PM

@7Jaguars said:
    Left CCN, Right Danny?

@Akbeez said:
    Z — left has better tan, must be earlier! Or not. CCN must be a tax shelter site as they are @#$%^&*(

@Namvet69 said:
    The right side one looks like a better strike, exergue is smoother. What is CCN? Me no no.

Three votes, all correct!

Z

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• Options
    dcstuffdcstuff Posts: 41 ✭✭✭

wish Dan could do something with this

• Options

for you people who wonder i am jag1940 son

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,764 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dcstuff Both sides of that coin are awesome. I'm glad I have one in my collection. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pcgscacgold said:

@Zoins said:

@pcgscacgold said:
    I finally found a candidate for the Type 3 Liberty DE restrike. An 1897 MS61 in ANACS slab. I did a search here and have not seen any postings of the restrike. Does anyone have one (sorry if I missed the post)? The satin finish worries me a little. It would be nice to hear from someone with one in hand. Thanks.

Why does it worry you? What finish would worry you less or not at all?

I have only seen one other and the person mentioned it looked like copper (even a dealer said that when he looked at it). I guess BU would be more of what I would look for in a description. Just wondering what kind of mint luster there is with Satin finish.

The process to produce them does result in a somewhat coppery color. Sort of like if you take sandpaper or a pencil eraser to a pre-1933 US gold coin it will turn pinkish in the rubbed area.

The satin finish has some luster in it, but it is a little matte overall.

I would prefer if these came out looking a bit different than they actually do. I haven't found a process yet that works as well as I would like on gold.

Also, my engraving machine can be a little bit fickle at times and the engraving on these is not quite as good as some other items I've done. But I have since corrected some things and the dies I recently cut for a new "1908-S" VDB cent are pretty good:
    moonlightmint.com/blog_20.htm (soon to be released).

Anyway, I am going to cut off orders for these at the end of the month. Current production stands at:
    "1848 CAL": 11.
    "1908-O": 6.
    There are orders for a couple more of each that have been placed.

So even if they don't have the optimal appearance, they will still be pretty scarce.

PS:
    In terms of overall quality, I think the best over-strike that I have done is the "1933-D" Winged Liberty Head ("Mercury"). Considering that it is a difficult small coin with fine details (especially on the reverse), I was happy with the way it turned out.

• Options

Thanks for all the information @dcarr

I am the one getting ready to send the coin your way in the next day or two.

Those look like low mintage numbers compared to what the Saint Gauden DE's had. Interesting the color comes out that way on the Liberty's. The Saints never appear to have that coppery color to them. I will find one of those some day.

• Options
    COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 4, 2021 9:57AM

@dcarr said:

... PS:
    In terms of overall quality, I think the best over-strike that I have done is the "1933-D" Winged Liberty Head ("Mercury"). Considering that it is a difficult small coin with fine details (especially on the reverse), I was happy with the way it turned out.

Best full bands I've ever seen:

(Yup, my best mediocre photography :smile:)

Pretty sure ANACS would grade it MS70 today... but with a re-grade I'd lose the original hand-signed slab.

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• Options
    COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 4, 2021 10:03AM

@dcarr said:
    ... I would prefer if these came out looking a bit different than they actually do. I haven't found a process yet that works as well as I would like on gold...

Apparently even the U.S. Mint sometimes has difficulty with gold -- like this 2016 Centennial dime...

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pcgscacgold said:
    Interesting the color comes out that way on the Liberty's. The Saints never appear to have that coppery color to them. I will find one of those some day.

Good to note. I have an overstruck Saint and have thought it looked nice and yellow. Is it a mystery why they turn out differently Interesting things we find out about our coins when overstrike them.

• Options

@Zoins said:

@pcgscacgold said:
    Interesting the color comes out that way on the Liberty's. The Saints never appear to have that coppery color to them. I will find one of those some day.

Good to note. I have an overstruck Saint and have thought it looked nice and yellow. Is it a mystery why they turn out differently Interesting things we find out about our coins when overstrike them.

It would be interesting if you put the two DE's side by side sometime. Out of my hands now. Dropped it at the post office an hour ago. I will post photos when I get her back.

• Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dcarr
    Anyway, I am going to cut off orders for these at the end of the month. Current production stands at:
    "1848 CAL": 11.
    "1908-O": 6.
    I was hoping these could have been made in brass or copper.

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • Options

i thank Dan could offer 2000 are 2002 overstrike

• Options
    CopperWireCopperWire Posts: 492 ✭✭✭

Just here to say I love Carr's work! I don't own any but the concept Ameros in 2007-8 are my favorite.

• Options

@dcstuff said:

Pardon my ignorance, but what does the reverse of that piece look like. How big is it, what's it's weight, is it .999 silver, and who made it?

Z

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭✭✭

American Buffalo commem dollar by the US Mint!

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,764 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah baby, the rev buffalo is awesome. IMO. I'm glad I have one in my collection. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,765 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 5, 2021 6:43PM

@ZoidMeister said:

@dcstuff said:

Pardon my ignorance, but what does the reverse of that piece look like. How big is it, what's it's weight, is it .999 silver, and who made it?

Z

Here you go:
    https://moderncommemoratives.com/2001-american-buffalo-silver-dollar/

It's a US Mint Commemorative from 2001 (90% silver and the size of a silver dollar). This is one of the most successful US Mint commemoratives.

• Options

@coinsarefun said:

@U1chicago said:

@ZoidMeister said:

@dcstuff said:

Z

Here you go:
    https://moderncommemoratives.com/2001-american-buffalo-silver-dollar/

It's a US Mint Commemorative from 2001 (90% silver and the size of a silver dollar). This is one of the most successful US Mint commemoratives.

And even better when they tone :p

Awesome!
    A toned one is on my wish list but they are fairly rare.

• Options

thank you U1chicago sorry how could anyone not know about 2001 dollar ?

• Options

@dcstuff said:

It's possible for people who recently got into collecting or just don't follow modern US Mint offerings. I've learned some things over the years that were common knowledge to most but new to me at the time.

• Options

@dcstuff said:

Careful Padawan - The Meister is far more Zoidacious than your credit given.

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options

@dcstuff said:

It's a modern. that's how!

• Options

@TomB said:
    I have one of the ASG DE overstrikes and will post it for @pcgscacgold in the slight possibility that it could help with determination of color or surfaces. The large images are the coin raw under lights I use to shoot and the smaller images are the piece inside the plastic 2x2 with typical kitchen lighting. This is my piece-

Thanks for post that. It is an amazing coin. From what Daniel has said (and one other person) the Liberty DE coin is coming out copper in color as opposed to your coin which looks like a normal gold DE.

The hunt is on to find one of those or the other Saints he did. If I remember correctly there were around 40 or so minted and 60 of each of the of the other Saints. The hunt is on. Hard to believe only 6 of the Liberty DE's have been struck. That will be a scarce one.

• Options

That Buffalo gives me ideas . . . . .

I didn't know about these until recently.

Z

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,943 ✭✭✭✭✭

Again for @pcgscacgold, the "1906" ASG DE overstrike is listed as 23-pieces produced as broadstruck over a US Mint ASG DE.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options

Thanks @TomB
    I was including the 19 that were struck with Double Eagle on Reverse. I would take either one.

• Options
    SPalladinoSPalladino Posts: 851 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are we putting in our Dan Carr wish lists? If so:
    1979 Cu-Ni Ike dollar (40% silver not necessary, but would gladly purchase)
    1971-2021 Ike 50th anniversary 2 oz silver

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
    - DIVa (Designated Ike Varieties) Project co-lead and attributor
  • Options

Well then, I would like a $2.5, $5 and $10 Liberty restrikes on coins we send in. Maybe the $2.5 and $5 as a Classic Heads and the $10 as 1907 St Gauden Native American.

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would love a 1907 high relief gold replica, with a different date of course. Could even be a tribute to the omega counterfeit by putting DC in microscopic letters in the eagles claw.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,943 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pcgscacgold said:
    Thanks @TomB
    I was including the 19 that were struck with Double Eagle on Reverse. I would take either one.

I had assumed you were including them, but weren't those other 19 struck over one troy ounce gold rounds instead of using a US Mint produced AGE DE? If you weren't specifically looking for the ASE DE overstrikes then it is my mistake and I apologize for the lengthy confusion.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options

Good catch @TomB

I am so new to DC's stuff that I overlook things in that guide at times. Thanks for correcting me on that. I would be a overstrike seeker and will watch for that.

• Options
    Mr Lindy Mr Lindy Posts: 999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 12, 2021 6:41PM

• Options

@LindyS

Lindy - that’s a big WTF? Details…

• Options
    edited October 13, 2021 2:43AM

@LindyS said:

Very interesting @LindyS!

Dan's catalog for is "D" mintmark piece says that all have a satiny-matte luster.

Yours not only seems to have a proof-like surface and different details, it's a "S" mintmark piece!

Tell us more about it!

Here's the info from the catalog:

First produced March 2012.
    Over-struck on genuine US Mint Oregon Train Commemorative silver half dollars, circa 1926-1939. All have satiny-matte luster. The last 10 struck show a small rim die dent above head. The last one was struck on a 23.85-gram partial Saint Gaudens $20 Double Eagle coin (.900 fine gold). It has medal-turn orientation and a die crack through bow to the rim at 9:00.

• Options

Looks to me like it was struck on a 38mm gold blank planchet.

Z

• Options
    edited October 13, 2021 3:45AM

About 15 years ago I bought this silver round mule from Fred Weinberg. Having it in hand inspired me to buy Dan's 1927D. That shopping opportunity happened when I obtained my 27D from Daniel at 2012 Denver ANA.

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,316 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, the work does not appear to be Danny's.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options

@7Jaguars said:
    Yes, the work does not appear to be Danny's.

Hmmm, I didn't notice on the phone screen, but this one does bear an "S" mint mark. Dan's original Oregon Trail's were "D" marked.

Z

• Options

I was happy to have a nicely toned 2010 Silver UNA cross my path a week or three ago. You don't see these come up for sale very often.

Mintage total of 100 pieces.

Z

• Options
    edited October 13, 2021 5:55AM

@LindyS said:
    About 15 years ago I bought this silver round mule from Fred Weinberg. Having it in hand inspired me to buy Dan's 1927D. That shopping opportunity happened when I obtained my 27D from Daniel at 2012 Denver ANA.

Nice info and I'm glad it inspired you to get Dan's coin.

Do you know who made this?

What does the other side look like?

• Options

This is not the other side but I believe its the correct reverse die which was also mule struck on larger diameter silver planchet. Also sourced from Fred. No clue who made it/them. They are both struck with reeded collar

• Options

Both identical & full diameter buffalo reverses.
    Struck on full size silver ounce planchets struck using full size collar muled with smaller dies on obverse:

The 27D I bought from Daniel in 2012 compared with unknown minter round

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 14, 2021 2:03AM

Wooo-Hooo, new stuff.

• Options
    edited October 14, 2021 3:59AM

Daniel just posted a bunch of new items for sale. Just picked up the S minted Brass, Copper, .999 Silver, 90% silver and bag handled canceled die Morgans.

• Options
    edited October 14, 2021 4:50AM

Thanks to Chief !!!

I got me a goodie !!!

https://02f1517.netsolstores.com/coloradogoldrushsesquicentennialpioneergold1troyoz999satinfinish-1-1-1-2-2-2-1-2-1-1-1-2-1-1.aspx

And now my 1 of 17 goodie is out of stock, just 47 minutes later.

• Options

Had to go back and pick up a few more things (1884-S, 1884-S on uncleaned coin, and the 1884-CC).

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file