Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Dan Carrs latest

Comments

• Options
    SPalladinoSPalladino Posts: 851 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LukeMarshall - loving the set that you are putting together. As for:

Pardon my photoshop , its actually in an ANACS 70 holder - I'm thinking about cracking it to keep it in a flip like the rest - Change my mind.

Personally, I would want either all in flips or all in ANACS holders, but not a mix. So, I do not disagree with your personal choice breaking it out of the ANACS holder. However, my personal choice would be to send all of the ones in flips to ANACS.

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
    - DIVa (Designated Ike Varieties) Project co-lead and attributor
  • Options
    pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LukeMarshall

Also I was able to procure a type 3 Liberty double eagle which will be mailed out shortly for the O mint overstrike. I have no Daniel Carr overstrikes and can’t think of a better one to be the first for me.

I am still searching for the Liberty Double Eagle to send in. Not having luck but have a larger show to attend this weekend. That gold looks great. Good luck finding the rest of them and completing the set.

• Options
    felinfoelfelinfoel Posts: 391 ✭✭✭✭

@LukeMarshall said:
    @felinfoel , I see you mentioned listing some additional Carr items, if you happen to have one of the missing coins in my picture, I'de be interested.

I've been buying extras of Dan's stuff for years (and sending straight to ANACs), mostly focusing on the overstrikes. Main goal for the extras was to keep the best grades, and trade the extras with other collectors for other cool stuff by Dan. I haven't traded much since Benny Haimovitz (@Voyageur) passed away (he provided the Peace dollar overstruck on a 1965 Kennedy half in my avatar picture), so I started listing them on eBay.

I've been buying one each of the Clark Gruber gold due to the price, and don't think I have any extras.

They're amazing coins, as you know.

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,316 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am trying to still get that darn 2014 matte but have one of each year of the 1/4 oz pieces....

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ditto for mine as well, for the most part, I received a collection of critter stamps and an Elvis along with a couple of quick snaps of this;

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Atlanta post office must have a vendetta against Colorado . . . .

Z

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• Options
    CoinnmoreCoinnmore Posts: 161 ✭✭✭

I use the informed delivery it will list every package used by the USPS and will let you know its progress included regular mail. Very handy tool but then makes you wonder who all can see my mail? FEDS? Just kidding I got nothing to hide.

• Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,683 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ZoidMeister said:
    The Atlanta post office must have a vendetta against Colorado . . . .

Z

"USPS mail delivery is about to get permanently SLOWER and temporarily more expensive."
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2021/09/28/usps-delivery-get-slower-more-expensive-during-holidays/5893001001/

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• Options
    LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

@felinfoel

Thanks for the response, and good on ya collecting the Carrs over the years. I’m coming back around after a long hiatus and playing catch-up, but also having fun with it.

I’m sorry to hear about your friend… I’ve met some great people here and bought/sold from many… but I always enjoyed a good trade. You must be proud of the avatar coin and rightfully so.

It's all about what the people want...

• Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭✭✭

A recent acquisition - could not resist the gold toning on this clad piece! (Date scratch on the slab)
    Mintage of 94. Anyone know if these BLUE signs were hand-signed by Dan or facsimile?

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 29, 2021 6:24PM

@Akbeez said:
    A recent acquisition - could not resist the gold toning on this clad piece! (Date scratch on the slab)
    Mintage of 94. Anyone know if these BLUE signs were hand-signed by Dan or facsimile?

I am pretty sure your is hand signed. The facsimiles were black ink if I remember correctly.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options

I couldn't resist doing a group picture. Some of the smaller diameter (30mm) of Intaglio Mint/Limited Mintage
    arrived today. They are like Piedfort DollarsB)

There is a small die crack on this one.....cool B)

• Options
    PipestonePetePipestonePete Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

Might that be a planchet flaw?

• Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LukeMarshall said:
    I got to cross another half eagle off the list... Thanks @dcarr for pointing me in the right direction!

2019 FOUND - 2 left for the date run

nice! looking good. keep going!!

• Options

@PipestonePete said:
    Might that be a planchet flaw?

Looking at it better now, I will say you are correct........ I highly doubt his die started to crack.

• Options

I have a couple with similar faint cracks. But since these were over struck on silver eagles, I question a planchet issue?

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options

Here’s 2 examples, one looks like the above —

• Options

Hmmm, die cracks don't usually "move" . . . . ^^^^

Z

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• Options

I think we have two different events here — my 2nd pic appears to be the same die crack as @coinsarefun. 1st is ???

Need an answer from Master @dcarr !

• Options
    SPalladinoSPalladino Posts: 851 ✭✭✭✭✭

The two closest to the D appear incuse. If so, not a die crack, and more likely a strike through, especially sine they are not all in the same location. The one closest to the foot is more difficult to call off the photo....maybe appears in relief, and not incuse?

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
    - DIVa (Designated Ike Varieties) Project co-lead and attributor
  • Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LukeMarshall said:

Also I was able to procure a type 3 Liberty double eagle which will be mailed out shortly for the O mint overstrike. I have no Daniel Carr overstrikes and can’t think of a better one to be the first for me.

Hard to tell in the photo but the cheeks been polished destroying any numismatic value, so it’s time for her to start her next exonumia journey.

>
    I sent a 1914-D St, Gaudens that was a PCGS Cleaned, AU details piece. Dan did a great job on the restrike. The only ghosting that I could find was UNITED on the reverse.

• Options

I'm thinking that Dan is still using the same die pair on producing all of these. If there was a die crack, it would be identical on all examples.

I do have one of the earlier pieces he sent to the distributor. I'll get it out to take some photos. The early strikes presumably won't have any die crack issues unless Dan struck off stock for his sales first, which would make sense.

Z

• Options

@Bullsitter said:

@LukeMarshall said:

Hard to tell in the photo but the cheeks been polished destroying any numismatic value, so it’s time for her to start her next exonumia journey.

>
    I sent a 1914-D St, Gaudens that was a PCGS Cleaned, AU details piece. Dan did a great job on the restrike. The only ghosting that I could find was UNITED on the reverse.

That is a great coin. Wish I was here when he was doing those and the other Saints.

• Options

@pcgscacgold said:

@Bullsitter said:

@LukeMarshall said:

>

That is a great coin. Wish I was here when he was doing those and the other Saints.

I love this coin!!!

• Options

Now to find the time to open it and take photos . . . . .

Nice selection of stamps Dan. Thanks for the toons . . .

I actually collect his cardboard mailers with the stamps as well.

Z

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinsarefun said:
    @dcarr i just wanted to apologize for corrupting one of the people on Instagram !

I was just about to post that too! That's our ol' friend gluggo (no longer on CU :s ).
    He is a dedicated Carr collector!

• Options
    edited October 1, 2021 6:20AM

@U1chicago said:

@coinsarefun said:

I was just about to post that too! That's our ol' friend gluggo (no longer on CU :s ).
    He is a dedicated Carr collector!

LOL

In this case, "dedicated" is spelled - C - H - R - O - N - I - C

EDIT: I should know . . . .

Z

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,764 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad I'm still awake cause I forgot to check the mail all day, show nuff my OT dollar has arrived in a customary brown envelope festooned with all sorts of fun stamps. This piece is really really nice. The detail is excellent. And the reeded edge is a nice touch. I just ordered a second one. Nite nite all. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon

• Options

Gluggo monitors this forum so be sure to give him sht whenever possible ;) for not reincarnating…

• Options

@Akbeez Closer exam of my OT dollar is exhibiting the slightest diagonal hairline ridge thru the D, planchet flaw? I don't know. More importantly there's a nice host ASE artifact on the oxen hind quarter to accentuate the strike over. Very cool. Pics below. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon

• Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭✭✭

"1848 Oregon Trail" Silver Eagle Over-Strike"

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • Options

@Namvet69 - looks like the same defect. Mine appears to be incuse so I’m thinking strike-thu, but seems unlikely to repeat on several other coins. I’m not seeing the artifact, but there is a lot going on under those cows!

• Options

@7Jaguars thanks for that. If you could open up my pic of the oxen, you'll see some ASE design details on the left rear hip. I'm pretty sure. Let me know what you think. Peace Roy

• Options

Yes, I agree. You've quite the eagle eye (I don't usually). Looks almost like a tat[oo]. LOL

• Options

I don't know about eagle eye but I do love to examine every detail of my collection and take notes. Peace Roy

• Options

@ZoidMeister hey join the party. Nice to get a pair of Carrs any day. And the silver is a 70. Peace Roy

• Options

I also was able to pick up a pair of Dan's Oregon Trail Dollars.

One I got from CCN, the other I got from Moonlight Mint direct.

See if you can tell which is which?

Z

• Options

Left CCN, Right Danny?

• Options

The right side one looks like a better strike, exergue is smoother. What is CCN? Me no no.

• Options

Z — left has better tan, must be earlier! Or not. CCN must be a tax shelter site as they are @#$%^&*(

• Options

I finally found a candidate for the Type 3 Liberty DE restrike. An 1897 MS61 in ANACS slab. I did a search here and have not seen any postings of the restrike. Does anyone have one (sorry if I missed the post)? The satin finish worries me a little. It would be nice to hear from someone with one in hand. Thanks.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pcgscacgold said:
    I finally found a candidate for the Type 3 Liberty DE restrike. An 1897 MS61 in ANACS slab. I did a search here and have not seen any postings of the restrike. Does anyone have one (sorry if I missed the post)? The satin finish worries me a little. It would be nice to hear from someone with one in hand. Thanks.

Why does it worry you? What finish would worry you less or not at all?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file