Home U.S. Coin Forum

Dan Carrs latest

Comments

• SPalladinoSPalladino Posts: 865 ✭✭✭✭✭

mintage information on the various vintage dies products (and various overstrike materials used) listed: http://www.moonlightmint.com/blog_45.htm

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
    - DIVa (Designated Ike Varieties) Project co-lead and attributor
  • pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LindyS said:
    Vintage die strikes included 16 offers this morning, 11 are now sold out
    https://02f1517.netsolstores.com/vintagediestrikes.aspx

Lindy

Yes to 16, I had grabbed 20 from the wrong part of the screen. That is how many could have been listed. Sorry and thanks for catching that.

@Bullsitter said:
    Who got one of these?

...only 3 minted :o

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
    edited October 14, 2021 12:27PM

@PipestonePete said:
    I would like to see an image of the "Antiqued Centennial S-Mint Overstrike". Thanks, pcgscacgold....I was able to grab a screen shot.

That's it and only 16 minted.

Only 4 of the Brass ones.

• felinfoelfelinfoel Posts: 400 ✭✭✭✭

I grabbed a bunch of the cancelled overstrikes, but missed out on a handful. I picked the wrong day to sleep in :)

I'm happy to wheel and deal if anyone managed to score some of the ones that sold out early, just DM me. I have tons of graded extras of Dan's stuff that I'm happy to trade. Or I can pay cash for a quick flip.

• dcstuffdcstuff Posts: 41 ✭✭✭

@Bullsitter said:
    Who got one of these?

i wish

• jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,085 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dang, looks like I missed out on a bunch of good stuff today!

hope all is well bullsthitter

• ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

Man, it sure looks like Dan won't have any difficulty keeping the lights on this month . . . . . .

My wallet was too thin to grab one of those antiqued over-strikes. Sure would have liked one of those too.

Z

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

i bought one of 6

I got one of 4 Brass Centennial pieces and one of 5 1884-S uncleaned O/S.

The REAL FUN will begin once guys start receiving these and posting them up.

I cannot wait to see the varieties within each type.

Z

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

Super cool story behind the dies! I had to pick one up myself.

"It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

I found the Mintage Statistics for the latest Morgans in a new section ("Vintage Die Strikes"): http://www.moonlightmint.com/dc-coin_vintage_die_list.htm

Hopefully that means Dan plans for future vintage strikes.

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

@COCollector said:
    I found the Mintage Statistics for the latest Morgans in a new section ("Vintage Die Strikes"): http://www.moonlightmint.com/dc-coin_vintage_die_list.htm

Hopefully that means Dan plans for future vintage strikes.

Maybe, if some other interesting dies turn up. Nothing planned at this time, however.

@dcarr

If you do not own the dies does that mean the owner could decide to strike more coins with them down the road?

• DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pcgscacgold said:
    @dcarr

If you do not own the dies does that mean the owner could decide to strike more coins with them down the road?

They could. However given the damage done to these dies in the limited striking here, I think that would be unwise.

"It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

Man, only two types left this morning. I haven't seen a sellout like this in my entire tenure here on CU.

Z

@ZoidMeister
    I was thinking the same thing this morning. What a difference 24 hours makes. I hit his site at 4:30am Thursday and just started filling my cart. Took too trips to the checkout. Today only 2 items left (besides the cent). It was a fun morning.

• PipestonePetePipestonePete Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

With fewer than 30 of the "S" and 90 of the "CC" remaining as of this morning.

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 15, 2021 8:47AM

Man, did I snooze (and lose out) on these pieces. :'(

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 15, 2021 9:32AM

I own the "S" mint die while the other vintage dies are owned by someone else. The three of us met at Dan's place last week and we did the minting from Monday to Thursday. It was exciting to put a CC mint die and a S mint die in a D mint press. Once again I'm amazed by Dan's master craftsmanship to be able to use these old dies and create these pieces. Using old dies is not a as simple as putting them in the press and doing the striking as each press as specific die shanks it works with and these were no different.

Dan and I started talking about the centennial piece in a conversation that started way back in January around the time Dan issued the 2oz 1921-2021 Last Morgan Dollar Centennial pieces, which just sold out today.

A huge thanks to Dan for all his effort, creativity and energy in putting these pieces together.

As I've posted before, I've been wanting to put together a more permanent archive of articles, which I've been working under the banner of Private Mint News Magazine for now.

Here's a draft article. It's by no means finalized but it has some good information on the history of these pieces:

2021 Moonlight Mint Morgan Dollar Vintage Die Restrikes

Nice article and cool idea.
    I hope you signed the COAs....Dan always does........ >:);)

Well, because I edited my last post it went off to the review board.

In case it does not show up, Thanks @Zoins for sharing your die for this incredible project. It must have been a fun week putting everything (except the kitchen sink) into the press. Gold, Clad Ikes, Morgans, uncleaned Morgans, Brass, Copper, Silver.....

Thank you for documenting it all. That is a great read. Your efforts are much appreciated.

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bullsitter said:

I own the "S" mint die while the other vintage dies are owned by someone else. The three of us met at Dan's place last week and we did the minting from Monday to Thursday. It was exciting to put a CC mint die and a S mint die in a D mint press. Once again I'm amazed by Dan's master craftsmanship to be able to use these old dies and create these pieces. Using old dies is not a as simple as putting them in the press and doing the striking as each press as specific die shanks it works with and these were no different.

Dan and I started talking about the centennial piece in a conversation that started way back in January around the time Dan issued the 2oz 1921-2021 Last Morgan Dollar Centennial pieces, which just sold out today.

A huge thanks to Dan for all his effort, creativity and energy in putting these pieces together.

As I've posted before, I've been wanting to put together a more permanent archive of articles, which I've been working under the banner of Private Mint News Magazine for now.

Here's a draft article. It's by no means finalized but it has some good information on the history of these pieces:

Nice article and cool idea.
    I hope you signed the COAs....Dan always does........ >:);)

I didn't sign the COAs. They were done after I left. All our time was spent minting :)

Dan struck and issued these so it's fine with just his signature. But if we happen to meet and inserts are available, I can sign then ;)

• MedalCollectorMedalCollector Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t think I’ve ever posted in this thread… but these vintage die strikes are awesome! Wish I hadn’t missed out on all the low mintage types.

Cool project @dcarr @Zoins . And thanks for offering them!

@Zoins - great article - thank you for it and for making your die available for this production.
    @dcarr - thank you again.

I did not see the seventy 1884 CC cancelled die strikes with the 'die pair 37' edge mark listed separately for sale - were those accounted for by first come, first serve of the main 1884 CC cancelled die strikes offering (along with the 199 without the edge mark), or were they accounted for in some other way?

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
  • Clackamas1Clackamas1 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@Akbeez said:
    Hey @Zoins — what’s the scoop on these dies? Curious minds….

Did you do any analysis of the dies first? Metal composition, xray's for die cracks, etc?

• AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 15, 2021 1:46PM

@Zoins said:

@Akbeez said:

>

What a great concept and products! Talk about kids in a candy store…

I’m guessing you will post final mintages as well in your article? One thing missing though is the PROVENANCE of the dies themselves. Were they routinely sold by the Mint at the time, or recovered from a dump site? And what are the chances of two individuals with cancelled dies contacting DC this year? Also — some pics of the dies? Looks like the S die is in rough shape from pics on Dan’s site.

Bravo to the 3 of you — that must have been an amazing experience! 👍👍

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Clackamas1 said:

@Zoins said:

@Akbeez said:

Did you do any analysis of the dies first? Metal composition, xray's for die cracks, etc?

I did a visual inspection for cracks, and a rudimentary hardness test.
    The owners of the dies could get their own XRF test for composition, if the opportunity arises.

• Mr Lindy Mr Lindy Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dudes ! & The Ladies !

I had been happy owning a hand full of a few 1996 USA issue cancel olympic dies and some 1996 olympic nationally recognized related collectable dies which were very briefly distributed via fleabay.

Zoins & others unknown have just blow my mind with their vintage usa die holdings !

Seriously, Yes, my mind in blown !!!

I am glad I decided to get me a couple goodies from this most unique & enjoyable coin art offering.

I really should not have bought a thing, but 2 is better than none !

A young @LindyS . . . . .

@oih82w8 said:

There are still some available! Don't lose out on those too!

The earlier CC cancelled die strikes by Don Schmitz had a mintage in the hundreds and are worth a lot now, and even more importantly, almost impossible to find,

edited October 16, 2021 11:36AM

@dcarr said:

@Akbeez said:

@Zoins said:

@Akbeez said:

>

What a great concept and products! Talk about kids in a candy store…

I’m guessing you will post final mintages as well in your article? One thing missing though is the PROVENANCE of the dies themselves. Were they routinely sold by the Mint at the time, or recovered from a dump site? And what are the chances of two individuals with cancelled dies contacting DC this year? Also — some pics of the dies? Looks like the S die is in rough shape from pics on Dan’s site.

Bravo to the 3 of you — that must have been an amazing experience! 👍👍

All the mintages are posted here:
    moonlightmint.com/blog_45.htm

Great resource Dan. Great info and photos :+1:

@Akbeez There's no need for the final mintages in the article as they are on Dan's site as mentioned.

I am working on a Moonlight Mint print catalog idea which was discussed in the thread below. This effort is designed to capture all the info in MM catalog so it would have mintages.

Daniel Carr Moonlight Mint Catalog in Print Idea

I'm not aware of any prior ownership of the dies and it's up the current owner of the other dies to disclose. Tracking provenance of dies seems to be a lot harder than provenance of coins.

• PipestonePetePipestonePete Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@oih82w8 said:

The earlier CC cancelled die strikes by Don Schmitz had a mintage in the hundreds and are worth a lot now, and even more importantly, almost impossible to find,

Fewer than 70 of the "CC" and fewer than 25 "S" remain.

edited October 16, 2021 12:20PM

@PipestonePete said:

@Zoins said:

@oih82w8 said:

Fewer than 70 of the "CC" and fewer than 25 "S" remain.

These are a really good deal. I have just a few of each type as I'm a collector and I'm tempted to pick some up myself. I've added some to my cart :)

Just compare to the Schmitz pieces, which aren't as attractive due to the cancellation mark locations and are also more expensive.

edited October 16, 2021 4:31PM

@LindyS said:
    Dudes ! & The Ladies !

I had been happy owning a hand full of a few 1996 USA issue cancel olympic dies and some 1996 olympic nationally recognized related collectable dies which were very briefly distributed via fleabay.

Zoins & others unknown have just blow my mind with their vintage usa die holdings !

Seriously, Yes, my mind in blown !!!

I am glad I decided to get me a couple goodies from this most unique & enjoyable coin art offering.

I really should not have bought a thing, but 2 is better than none !

Thanks Lindy! They don't appear often so there's a lot of chance and serendipity with these.

I like the Olympics dies a lot. I don't have any yet but I've been following them and there are a few on my list.

Can't wait till your pieces arrive and you see them in hand!

• Mr Lindy Mr Lindy Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭✭✭

Zoins, I am over the moon concerning 2 ounce. Years ago I briefly had the 1 of 170 two ouncer back when it was $300. It did not wow me, due to lack of prime focal area details, so off it went.

I have become intrigued with 84cc on struck Morgan in that host coin details exist in X cancelation. It took me an additional day to realize I had to have it. It will play well in my Moonlight Mint Archive. Give me some more time and I'll wish I bought more than one.

edited October 18, 2021 3:14AM

@pcgscacgold said:
    I got one of 4 Brass Centennial pieces and one of 5 1884-S uncleaned O/S.

Congrats! We only made 4 of the brass ones because the metal is harder on the die. Initially, we considered not doing them as well.

The uncleaned overstrikes are nice. I personally like the uncleaned overstrikes because I like seeing the undertype. Not everyone likes to see it, and perhaps even most people don't like to see it, but I like it because it gives it character and something more to look at / for.

@dcarr said:

@Bullsitter said:
    Who got one of these?

The owner of the dies got two for themselves and I got one for myself (no plans to sell in the near future).

These turned out to be gorgeous pieces. They are amazing in hand. I didn't get one but it was great to be there to see the process in how they were made.

edited October 18, 2021 2:25AM

Quick question to everyone here, would anyone like one of these in gold?

We didn't strike any in gold but it could be possible before the end of the month (due to the date on the die saying October 2021). Dan and I haven't discussed this but if there's interest, we could see if anything could be done.

It would be 1.5 oz of gold per piece so a chunk of change.

As for questions on future strikes which was asked above, I don't think there will be any after this for my "S" mint die. We struck a lot and there's really nothing else left to strike, except potentially some gold pieces. I also plan on keeping the die a long time.

Here's the photo of the brass one to ponder :)

@Zoins said:
    Quick question to everyone here, would anyone like one of these in gold?

We didn't strike any in gold but it could be possible before the end of the month (due to the date on the die saying October 2021). Dan and I haven't discussed this but if there's interest, we could see if anything could be done.

It would be 1.5 oz of gold per piece so a chunk of change.

As for questions on future strikes which was asked above, I don't think there will be any after this for my "S" mint die. We struck a lot and there's really nothing else left to strike, except potentially some gold pieces. I also plan on keeping the die a long time.

Here's the photo of the brass one to ponder :)

Since I have the other 5 released issues in the series I would most likely want this one made available. Keep me posted.

• DC: Are there any plans of vintage cancelled Peace dies coming our way?

• COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pineapples said:
    DC: Are there any plans of vintage cancelled Peace dies coming our way?

Vintage dies? Apparently not: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/comment/13069462/#Comment_13069462

But maybe we'll see an X-cancelled version of his "Broken Sword" Peace dollar -- especially now, since I believe that series ends with this year's MCMXXI (1921) overstrikes.

Maybe we'll also see matte and clashed versions too, like these MM Morgans: http://www.moonlightmint.com/blog_18.htm

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file