Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Dan Carrs latest

Comments

• Options
    ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Twobitcollector said:
    "1848 Oregon Trail" Silver Eagle Over-Strike" I must say I was looking for something to fill the last hole on this page I'll take out the wooden dollar and the last 3 holes will have the 2021 Morgan & Peace Dollars plus this Oregon trail piece

Might want to lurk around for one of these.

It's also a American Silver Eagle overstrike by Dan Carr and a few of them are starting to hit the streets as well.

Z

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• Options

Or, you could start a new album . . . .

Z

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanx ZoidMeister for the heads up. I was checking every day, then a couple times a week. Haven't checked in a long time. Got one in the bag just now.

• Options
    pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ZoidMeister Thanks for sharing. Those look great.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,040 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just received notice that my (Oregon Trail Sliver Dollar) D. Carr order has been shipped!

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good to hear! I've been getting antsy waiting on mine.

• Options

@oih82w8 said:
    I just received notice that my (Oregon Trail Sliver Dollar) D. Carr order has been shipped!

Ditto!

• Options

@oih82w8 said:

Same for me. My first, direct from the mint, D Carr item.

• Options
    CoinnmoreCoinnmore Posts: 161 ✭✭✭

:o:o:o

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

Me three. Shipped and in the pipeline. Come on Saturday! Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon

• Options
    smuglrsmuglr Posts: 407 ✭✭✭

New to DC. I didn't see the Kennedy piece on the site. Is it currently avaialable somewhere?

• Options

@smuglr said:
    New to DC. I didn't see the Kennedy piece on the site. Is it currently avaialable somewhere?

CCN, but procurement is a bit challenging. I think there may be additional designs / compositions in the pipeline . . . . .

Z

http://www.moonlightmint.com/blog_42.htm

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

My favorite is still the 1927 D Commem Oregon Trail Half in what really looks like matte proof. I did of course get one of these as well.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options

I would like the Silver Dollar to have a matte finish as well. We'll see.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,683 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got my notification yesterday. So, anxious to see in hand. I’m thinking this is a so called dollar version of the Oregon Trail.

• Options

@7Jaguars said:
    My favorite is still the 1927 D Commem Oregon Trail Half in what really looks like matte proof. I did of course get one of these as well.

I would gladly pay for this over strike. Very much interested in the version that is struck on the actual half dollar.

• Options

I think that may be a hard job although they have occasionally shown up. Honestly, the coin is breathtaking in hand and photos do not do it justice. Good luck in that endeavor however.

• Options

Thanks @7Jaguars . I guess we have to have some coins that are unobtainable to make things interesting. The coin sounds amazing from your description.

• Options

I may try to get a picture in a bit if I can, let's see what I can do.

• Options

Sorry lighting terrible in my kitchen! LOL

• Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭✭✭

There’s one on eBay — been there quite a while at $749. Have not seen any others in YEARS.

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options

@7Jaguars That looks amazing. I will watch for one of those and pay for it :)

I like the restrikes more than the others. I have one Walker and one Morgan and want more.

• Options

@Akbeez said:
    There’s one on eBay — been there quite a while at $749. Have not seen any others in YEARS.

Thanks, I will take a look. I don't do Ebay but at least it give me an idea. That price is no issue.

• Options

@Akbeez said:

@pcgscacgold said:

@Akbeez said:

Thanks, I will take a look. I don't do Ebay but at least it give me an idea. That price is no issue.

I think that one belongs to @GRANDAM

Z

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,416 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ZoidMeister
    I think that one belongs to @GRANDAM

Z

Not mine, I missed the boat on the original restrike. I have never owned one.

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pcgscacgold said:

@7Jaguars said:

I would gladly pay for this over strike. Very much interested in the version that is struck on the actual half dollar.

They come up, but they’re not cheap. The last one I saw available was $700+.

thefinn
  • Options

I just checked. The seller is Backshore. Not sure if he is a member here or not.

Anyone know?

Z

• Options

@thefinn said:

@pcgscacgold said:

@7Jaguars said:

They come up, but they’re not cheap. The last one I saw available was $700+.

That is understandable. The base coin is not cheap. Probably a similar thing for the 1921 Peace O/S where you had to send in a 1921 Peace Dollar.

• Options
    edited September 25, 2021 6:46AM

Danny got some 62 pieces of original Oregon Trails which were over struck. I think he said they were mainly 1926 pieces.
    I did order his most recent Dollar version, but the details don't look quite as nice at least in the pictures which surprised me just a bit given the 10 years that have transpired. Outstanding in gold and a lot better than the somewhat sorrowful 2021 Liberty IMO.

• Options

@7Jaguars said:
    Danny got some 62 pieces of original Oregon Trails which were over struck. I think he said they were mainly 1926 pieces.
    I did order his most recent Dollar version, but the details don't look quite as nice at least in the pictures which surprised me just a bit given the 10 years that have transpired. Outstanding in gold and a lot better than the somewhat sorrowful 2021 Liberty IMO.

That gold one looks amazing. Too bad only one struck.

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,416 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dcarr said:

@7Jaguars said:

There is the issue of taking a 30mm design and enlarging it to 39mm. Similar to when a photo is enlarged, there is a loss of apparent sharpness. This is why most coin sculpts are about 5 or 10 times the size of the final coin, so that a REDUCTION in size results in sharper details. But lacking original plasters of the coin, I had to rely on an actual half dollar as the model, and then enlarge it.

Could you reduce it to a quarter size?

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,148 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GRANDAM said:

@dcarr said:

@7Jaguars said:

There is the issue of taking a 30mm design and enlarging it to 39mm. Similar to when a photo is enlarged, there is a loss of apparent sharpness. This is why most coin sculpts are about 5 or 10 times the size of the final coin, so that a REDUCTION in size results in sharper details. But lacking original plasters of the coin, I had to rely on an actual half dollar as the model, and then enlarge it.

Could you reduce it to a quarter size?

Yes. I could cut it at any diameter from about the size of a pin head up to about 9 inches. Of course, at the extreme small sizes only the larger general shapes would show up in the engraving.

• Options

@felinfoel said:

@ZoidMeister said:
    I just checked. The seller is Backshore. Not sure if he is a member here or not.

Anyone know?

Z

That's me. I have a bunch more Carr stuff I need to list.

Ah, that's right. I (now) remember getting one of Dan's 1919 Broken Sword Peace Dollars from you.

Old age is a beyotch . . . . . CRS.

Z

• Options

@felinfoel said:

@ZoidMeister said:

Anyone know?

Z

That's me. I have a bunch more Carr stuff I need to list.

Interesting. I am just starting my D Carr's. Will be looking this weekend at the 75 dealer show. I don't do Ebay but will definitely look at what you put up.

• Options

Not Daniel Carr's latest, but my latest Daniel Carr pieces, and yes, a double post.

I was recently able to acquire one of Dan's 2009-D Bi-metallic Astronaut Concept Dollars and was surprised at just how frosty the "cameo" of the silver center of this piece was.

Is this typical for all of these, or might this be an indicator of an early strike / die state?

Either way, it's insanely cool.

I don't think that I've never seen this much cameo contrast on any of Dan's strikes. The stars are particularly nice.

Z

• Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mine is very similar Z — very DCAM, so much so almost loses details. Still a very cool piece!

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options

@dcarr said:

@Akbeez said:
    Mine is very similar Z — very DCAM, so much so almost loses details. Still a very cool piece!

Although dated "2009", those were actually made around 2005 before I had my own coin press and before I was engraving steel.

The dies were made on contract via a reduction lathe, using 8-inch acrylic models that I did cut myself.
    The stamping was done at another mint.

I don't know the particulars of the die steel or minting. The entire mintage had thick frosting on the devices ("proof-like" finish), or all over ("satin" finish). The frosting was so thick that it made it hard to see the details in the relief.

This feature, the heavy frosting of the devices, is particularly attractive in my opinion.

Z

• Options

I'm actually trying to make an effort to complete this series, the earliest of Dan's designs.

I'm getting close. Only a couple left to acquire.
    0.5oz Silver - - Bi- metallic
    Thin Brass. - - Thick Brass

• Options

My D. Carr Oregon Silver Dollar is "out for delivery". :p

• Options

@oih82w8 said:

I didn't get a tracking number (unless I missed it). Where do I find that so I can see where mine is in the system?

• Options

@pcgscacgold said:

@oih82w8 said:

I didn't get a tracking number (unless I missed it). Where do I find that so I can see where mine is in the system?

I don't believe that @dcarr provides tracking numbers. I subscribe (free) with USPS Informed Delivery.

• Options

@oih82w8 said:

@pcgscacgold said:

@oih82w8 said:

I don't believe that @dcarr provides tracking numbers. I subscribe (free) with USPS Informed Delivery.

Thanks. Sounds like a worthwhile thing to join.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file