Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Daniel Carr Moonlight Mint Catalog in Print Idea

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 17, 2021 10:31PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Given that PCGS will now slab Dan Carr / @dcarr pieces that are cataloged in Krause, and Dan has an online Moonlight Mint catalog website, would converting the online website to a PDF or print book enable PCGS to slab more of Dan's pieces?

Should we do it? :)

Here are some examples. The first two are from @philographer and the 3rd is from @U1chicago in these threads:

Comments

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

In the past several people have asked for a printed version. I have declined to make printed copies because I typically update the catalog at least a few times per month, and up to several times a week (depending on activity).

So any printed version would be obsolete in a month or less.

But I wouldn't object if someone wanted to make printed or PDF versions themselves. Everything needed is on the website. But realize that some parts (typically the more recent sections) could be outdated pretty quickly.

• Options
    edited August 18, 2021 12:51AM

The print version will naturally lag the online version but my speculation is that PCGS may only want to slab things that are in a print reference as a website can simply go offline and disappear. Of course this is just speculation and would need to be verified with our hosts.

If this is true, a bit of a lag shouldn't be a problem as a periodic update, even say once or twice a year, would enable cataloging and slabbing of new pieces since Krause hasn't added anything for years.

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,432 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dcarr I love the 64 peace dollar. Would you happen to have any left.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:
    The print version will naturally lag the online version but my speculation is that PCGS may only want to slab things that are in a print reference as a website can simply go offline and disappear. Of course this is just speculation and would need to be verified with our hosts.

If this is true, a bit of a lag shouldn't be a problem as a periodic update, even say once or twice a year, would enable cataloging and slabbing of new pieces since Krause hasn't added anything for years.

You could do yearly updates. Start with everything through 2020 and then issue an update at the end of each following year.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is great that our host now slab Dan's products. I am happy with the online catalogue. Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko said:
    It is great that our host now slab Dan's products. I am happy with the online catalogue. Cheers, RickO

The online catalog is great!

The main question here is if PCGS will slab more pieces with a print catalog.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,525 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe it's time for some sort of checklist. I like dcarrs work as well

• Options

@johnny9434 said:

You mean like a Set Registry?

Imagine the sets and even awards!

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,525 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@johnny9434 said:

You mean like a Set Registry?

Imagine the sets and even awards!

good ideas

• Options
    COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 27, 2021 2:28PM

@Zoins said:
    Given that PCGS will now slab Dan Carr / @dcarr pieces that are cataloged in Krause...

Which Krause catalog? I'd love to see a list of Carr products that PCGS will slab.

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• Options
    COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭✭✭

@COCollector said:
    Which Krause catalog? I'd love to see a list of Carr products that PCGS will slab.

Ah, found lots of info in this May 12th thread: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1057239/my-daniel-carr-1964-d-peace-dollars-have-been-graded-by-pcgs/p1

But does anyone know of any newer updates?

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think Dans on line catalogue is very easy to use. And educational to boot. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Namvet69 said:
    I think Dans on line catalogue is very easy to use. And educational to boot. Peace Roy

I seem to be there daily looking up things. Easy to follow once you visit a few times and get to know which link to use. I have it open right now.

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,133 ✭✭✭✭✭

The first edition of such a catalog would then be a valuable collectible in the future like the first edition of the Red Book!

peacockcoins

• Options
    CoinnmoreCoinnmore Posts: 161 ✭✭✭

Anybody with basic Adobe knowledge can make the catalog provided you have the Adobe Pro. Problem is mine I made is way to big to email. Right now the file is about 67 Megabytes. My email usually about 20 megs is the maximum but it’s not hard to create just takes about 20 to 30 minutes.
    I also use Bluebeam which is a really great PDF program.

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 28, 2021 1:12AM

All my web pages are made using MicroSoft Word. I save them as standard ".doc" files. Those are the files that I edit frequently to add new info. I use MS Word because I like the table functions. And if you look at any of my online catalog, you will soon see that I make extensive use of tables. It is the only way to efficiently pack a lot of information into a relatively small area.

For each document, I also use MS Word to Save As "Web Page, Filtered" (".htm"). I then upload those "*.htm" files to my web hosting site.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file