Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Dan Carrs latest

Comments

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 13, 2021 7:02AM

@LindyS said:
    2016 MMOH is one my all time favorite DC issues.

Here's An Amigo pair housed in earlier release Daniel Carr live signature slabs.

Very awesome @LindyS! Both of these are spectacular! The Colorado theme is very fitting on this one. Thanks for sharing them!

From watching eBay auctions, I've come to associate the DC sticker on these slabs with forum member and Amigo @USAROK! He used to post quite a bit here and has posted some amazing Dan Carr pieces, but has tapered off recently.

I'm a big fan of numismatist and store card tokens so this is one of my favorites, which I was also able to pick up from @USAROK. This one is amazing to me because it has two surface effects, antiquing and spot color toning. Spot gold plating is common on some of these but spot color toning is super rare! In fact, I've never seen another!

• Options
    pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@pcgscacgold said:
    These are fascinating pieces. I hope to run into an "Amigo" at some point and have the opportunity to acquire a piece or two.

It may not be that easy to meet one, but if you want to acquire a piece, they are just an eBay click away :)

I have been doing some searching but have yet to locate them. The search will continue.

• Options
    edited November 13, 2021 7:09AM

@Zoins said:
    I'm a big fan of numismatist and store card tokens so this is one of my favorites, which I was also able to pick up from @USAROK. This one is amazing to me because it has two surface effects, antiquing and spot color toning. Spot gold plating is common on some of these but spot color toning is super rare! In fact, I've never seen another!

Dan @dcarr , do you recall making this one? I haven't seen another spot color toned piece so I was wondering if there's a story behind this one. Thanks!

• Options
    edited November 13, 2021 7:37AM

@pcgscacgold said:

@Zoins said:

@pcgscacgold said:
    These are fascinating pieces. I hope to run into an "Amigo" at some point and have the opportunity to acquire a piece or two.

It may not be that easy to meet one, but if you want to acquire a piece, they are just an eBay click away :)

I have been doing some searching but have yet to locate them. The search will continue.

I just search eBay for "carr open". There are some nice ones on there now :)

I'm probably making it more expensive for me to acquire these, but they are so wonderful, it's great to share!

• Options
    Mr Lindy Mr Lindy Posts: 999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 13, 2021 7:21AM

The COLORADO Denver Mint made medal is less common Silver issue for State's 100th.

Its an example of the deep thought involved when bringing coins to be overstruck. Then gold sprinkles gilt applied by the hand of Dan.

I wanted it when I first saw it at my local Barnes & Nobles meet up for my ebay purchases delivery, then a year later it was for sale right before he moved out of State.

@Zoins said:
    @LindyS said:

Here's An Amigo pair housed in earlier release Daniel Carr live signature slabs.

Very awesome @LindyS! Both of these are spectacular! The Colorado theme is very fitting on this one. Thanks for sharing them!

From watching eBay auctions, I've come to associate the DC sticker on these slabs with forum member and Amigo @USAROK! He used to post quite a bit here and has posted some amazing Dan Carr pieces, but has tapered off recently.

• Options

@Zoins said:

@pcgscacgold said:

@Zoins said:

@pcgscacgold said:

I'm probably making it more expensive for me to acquire these, but they are so wonderful, it's great to share!

Thanks. Found some. I will say some of the sellers pricing of DC stuff is wild.

• Options
    edited November 13, 2021 7:26AM

@pcgscacgold said:

@Zoins said:

@pcgscacgold said:

@Zoins said:

@pcgscacgold said:

Thanks. Found some. I will say some of the sellers pricing of DC stuff is wild.

The BINs can be high. Your wallet will thank you for waiting for the true auctions if you can.

• Options
    edited November 13, 2021 7:30AM

@LindyS said:
    The COLORADO Denver Mint made medal is less common Silver issue for State's 100th.

Its an example of the deep thought involved when bringing coins to be overstruck. Then gold sprinkles gilt applied by the hand of Dan.

I wanted it when I first saw it at my local Barnes & Nobles meet up for my ebay purchases delivery, then a year later it was for sale right before he moved out of State.

@Zoins said:
    @LindyS said:

These are great stories for these pieces Lindy! These deserve to be saved for posterity in a book or something!

I just picked up this top one as well. It goes well with the other "Denver Mint" medal pieces. I might try for a full set on these medals, at least the ones with a small overstriking die.

• Options

@Zoins said:

@LindyS said:

@Zoins said:
    @LindyS said:

These are great stories for these pieces Lindy! These deserve to be saved for posterity in a book or something!

I just picked up this top one as well. It goes well with the other "Denver Mint" medal pieces. I might try for a full set on these medals, at least the ones with a small overstriking die.

That's funny. I was just going through some things from 45 years ago and came across my Denver Mint Centennial piece still in the mint plastic and then you post it with an O/S from DC.

• Options

@pcgscacgold said:

@Zoins said:

@LindyS said:

@Zoins said:
    @LindyS said:

That's funny. I was just going through some things from 45 years ago and came across my Denver Mint Centennial piece still in the mint plastic and then you post it with an O/S from DC.

That's a great medal! I love the Centennial and US Mint themes coming together on this piece!

It's also fitting that Dan is based in Colorado and this was struck with a former Denver Mint press.

• Options

I can see why they are your favorites. I really like both Morgan coins.

@ZoidMeister said:
    A few of my favorites.

Z

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,764 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 13, 2021 12:03PM

@Zoins that toned one is very cool! My goal at one point was to focus on just toned Carr pieces but it was too difficult to find many.

A quick question for those that follow Carr prices, is $275-$300 the best current price for a 1964 Peace Dollar (die pair 9)? I've been looking for one but haven't seen anything for less (those are eBay prices so I thought there would be a chance to do a little better on here).

• Options
    edited November 13, 2021 12:31PM

Denver Mint Medal 35mm Diameter GMM overstruck Off Center by Liberty Cap 1c
    & REAL Off Center Struck Denver 39mm Diameter Mint Medal.

From what I recall Daniel's Denver Mint Press likely struck the 39mm Off Center !
    Press was in Denver Mint's gift shop.
    Guy I bought it from asked press operator to make him an off center, please ?
    One & done, he did (Not) ask for two. I felt so lucky to have opportunity to own it.

• Options

@LindyS said:
    Denver Mint Medal 35mm Diameter GMM overstruck Off Center by Liberty Cap 1c
    & REAL Off Center Struck Denver 39mm Diameter Mint Medal.

From what I recall Daniel's Denver Mint Press likely struck the 39mm Off Center !
    Press was in Denver Mint's gift shop gift shop.
    Guy I bought it from asked press operator to make him an off center, please ?
    One & done, he did ask for two. I felt so lucky to have opportunity to own it.

Those are awesome!

I've only seen two other off centers, both owned by Dan :)

• Options
    edited November 13, 2021 2:11PM

@philographer said:
    Just sent a 2007 $20 Trade Dollar to PCGS for grading. It's listed in Krause Unusual World Coins, 6th Edition--US Section. We'll see what happens. Check back in 6-8 weeks or so :smile:

These are awesome pieces! I can’t wait to see the TrueViews!

How many of us remember and participated in the design thread on these forums?

• Options
    edited November 13, 2021 4:00PM

Another favorite, should have won Colorado 25c design prize in Silver, Both Proof & Matte on one coin

Continuing with my favorite 2016 MMOH & related, 2016 MMOH uses same Clark Gruber 24k 1/4 ounce obverse die

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,148 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@Zoins said:

Dan @dcarr , do you recall making this one? I haven't seen another spot color toned piece so I was wondering if there's a story behind this one. Thanks!

Around that time frame (2015) I did a fair amount of post-strike color-toning on Open-House and other pieces.
    I have not done very much of that in recent years. I suppose it is due to the unpredictability of the outcome as well as being labor-intensive.

That particular token was struck over an already antiqued bicentennial half dollar.
    The over-struck areas went back to being somewhat brilliant.
    Then the color toning was applied and it took effect mostly in the over-strike areas and the antiqued areas did not pick up much color.

• Options
    edited November 14, 2021 7:46AM

@dcarr said:

@Zoins said:

@Zoins said:

Around that time frame (2015) I did a fair amount of post-strike color-toning on Open-House and other pieces.
    I have not done very much of that in recent years. I suppose it is due to the unpredictability of the outcome as well as being labor-intensive.

That particular token was struck over an already antiqued bicentennial half dollar.
    The over-struck areas went back to being somewhat brilliant.
    Then the color toning was applied and it took effect mostly in the over-strike areas and the antiqued areas did not pick up much color.

Thanks Dan! That's a great explanation and makes a lot of sense :+1:

• Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 14, 2021 8:38AM

EDIT: Disregard, I didn't see DC got Covid (again!).

Gotta say, first experience ordering direct from Moonlight Mint, and I'm not too happy. Ordered 10/14, shipping notification (no tracking) 11/4, still don't have it a month after ordering.

Is this normal?

Appreciate any insight I can get.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    edited November 14, 2021 8:22AM

@DelawareDoons said:
    Gotta say, first experience ordering direct from Moonlight Mint, and I'm not too happy. Ordered 10/14, shipping notification (no tracking) 11/4, still don't have it a month after ordering.

Is this normal?

Dan caught Covid and was under the weather which was reported above. He's on the mend now and recovering. Please be patient and understanding.

See this post:

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/comment/13092319/#Comment_13092319

@dcarr said on November 9, 2021:
    Hello everyone. Thanks for the well wishes. I'm finally getting back to normal work on a limited schedule. I've had this nasty Covid-19 thing twice now (February 2020 and Oct-Nov 2021). I guess that is fitting since I made Covid-19 Hard Times tokens dated 2020 and 2021. I seem to catch all the flu viruses (and similar viruses) that go around. Fortunately, I almost never have anything bacterial. I guess my immune system is tweaked for that. I still have some coughing and generally somewhat tired. But I think I'm over it. I am scheduled for a test this Friday and if it is negative I will finally be able to go out in public again.

• Options

@Zoins said:

@DelawareDoons said:

Is this normal?

Dan caught Covid and was under the weather which was reported above. He's on the mend now and recovering. Please be patient and understanding.

See this post:

Hello everyone. Thanks for the well wishes. I'm finally getting back to normal work on a limited schedule. I've had this nasty Covid-19 thing twice now (February 2020 and Oct-Nov 2021). I guess that is fitting since I made Covid-19 Hard Times tokens dated 2020 and 2021. I seem to catch all the flu viruses (and similar viruses) that go around. Fortunately, I almost never have anything bacterial. I guess my immune system is tweaked for that. I still have some coughing and generally somewhat tired. But I think I'm over it. I am scheduled for a test this Friday and if it is negative I will finally be able to go out in public again.

Oh shit, ok that explains it. No big deal then, hope he bounces back strong as ever! Long COVID is the worst.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    drfishdrfish Posts: 938 ✭✭✭✭

@DelawareDoons I’d imagine Dan’s recovery from Covid slowed down production as well as shipping.

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,148 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DelawareDoons said:

@Zoins said:

@DelawareDoons said:

Is this normal?

See this post:

Oh shit, ok that explains it. No big deal then, hope he bounces back strong as ever! Long COVID is the worst.

If you can Private Message me the order number, I will look up the tracking info.

• Options

@dcarr said:

@DelawareDoons said:

@Zoins said:

@DelawareDoons said:

Is this normal?

See this post:

If you can Private Message me the order number, I will look up the tracking info.

I'll take you up on that if it doesn't show up in a couple days. Hope you're feeling better.

• Options
    COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DelawareDoons said:

@dcarr said:

@DelawareDoons said:

@Zoins said:

@DelawareDoons said:

Is this normal?

See this post:

I'll take you up on that if it doesn't show up in a couple days. Hope you're feeling better.

Get automatic notification of USPS shipments (including tracking number): https://informeddelivery.usps.com/box/pages/intro/start.action

This free service also includes scanned images of your daily mail -- although I believe this feature is not available for all areas.

Also, you can opt for email and text notifications of shipment progress, exceptions, delivery, etc.

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• Options

@COCollector said:

@DelawareDoons said:

@dcarr said:

@DelawareDoons said:

@Zoins said:

@DelawareDoons said:

Is this normal?

See this post:

Get automatic notification of USPS shipments (including tracking number): https://informeddelivery.usps.com/box/pages/intro/start.action

This free service also includes scanned images of your daily mail -- although I believe this feature is not available for all areas.

Also, you can opt for email and text notifications of shipment progress, exceptions, delivery, etc.

I didn't used to get many packages. Then I found Moonlight mint and Daniel Carr. I think I will sign up for that. Thanks.

• Options

I signed up for informed delivery to track Daniel Carr packages a couple years ago.
    It's been quite handy for other postal deliveries too !
    But from what I read on random posts since signing up, USPS service does not work for post office box destinations.

@pcgscacgold said:

@COCollector said:

@DelawareDoons said:

@dcarr said:

@DelawareDoons said:

@Zoins said:

@DelawareDoons said:

Is this normal?

See this post:

I didn't used to get many packages. Then I found Moonlight mint and Daniel Carr. I think I will sign up for that. Thanks.

• Options

LindyS: I have both Informed Delivery and a USPS PO Box, and receive notifications just fine.

thecointrader

"Giving away an MS-65 $20 St. Gaudens to everyone logged in when I make my 10,000th post..."
  • Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,416 ✭✭✭✭✭

I get informed delivery notifications for my home address but not my PO Box in the same city. Some places get it for PO Boxes and some don't.

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    edited November 14, 2021 11:54PM

@LindyS said:
    Another favorite, should have won Colorado 25c design prize in Silver, Both Proof & Matte on one coin

I love these silver prototype quarters! I wish I had gotten more. It would be great to have a full set but they hardly ever come up for sale.

Here are two of mine that I purchased directly from Dan 15 years ago.

• Options

I have two 10th Division, both nickel.
    One is a VF pocket piece bought from Dan at local coin show, other is BU via fleabay.
    I would LOVE to own a Silver example.
    Seeing yours gives me great joy !

@Zoins said:

Here are two of mine that I purchased directly from Dan 15 years ago.

• Options

Globalization Panda

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe the PO Box issue has to do with where you live. I’m so rural that they don’t have delivery and as such they give us a free PO Box. I have expanded tracking and it works fine. Difference is probably an area with delivery and PO Box available for rent You should see what we go through with companies that don’t ship to PO Box’s. 😉

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    MetalMetal Posts: 122 ✭✭✭

Wow! There are some stunning coins in this thread. It looks like I got the 1908 penny just under the wire! :)
    I wanted the Cal Double eagle too (the doner coin has been in my ebay cart for over a week), but I guess you snooze, you lose.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a good Monday. My 1908-s vdb arrived along with a 2015 Front Range CC bronze ingot #207. Linc looks real nice in my collection. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon

• Options
    alefzeroalefzero Posts: 924 ✭✭✭✭✭

My cancelled die strikes came today. So did my 2021 MMOH overstrikes. Here is a fun one I sent. It used to be a perfectly decent 1923-S VAM-1C Top 50 Peace dollar. It was struck to preserve the strong pitting through the N of ONE. (This might get me crucified at VAMworld.)

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm sorry I missed the 1908 cent, but blew a bunch on a CAL $20 and then comes out the '08! LOL

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options

@ZoidMeister said:
    A few "new to me" pieces arrived today.

Mintage numbers both raw and certified are insanely low.

Z

Nice pick ups. I hope to track down a 2018 KotCT someday. I have a few on my want list.

• Options

@7Jaguars said:
    I'm sorry I missed the 1908 cent, but blew a bunch on a CAL $20 and then comes out the '08! LOL

The 1908-O looks amazing in hand. I have no doubt we will like our 1848 CAL $20's as well.

• Options
    SPalladinoSPalladino Posts: 851 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ZoidMeister - great photos and absolutely stunning coin!

I love my un-antiqued version of this coin, but that one is light-years more beautiful.

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
    - DIVa (Designated Ike Varieties) Project co-lead and attributor
  • Options

I don't remember seeing this one before. Shows November minting, in progress and for a distributor. Does anyone have info on this WLH? Has anyone seen these before?

• Options
    ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭✭✭

CCN - Choppers Coin Network.

Z

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• Options

@ZoidMeister said:
    CCN - Choppers Coin Network.

Z

Thanks Z. I didn't think I missed them on Daniels site.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file