Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Dan Carrs latest

Comments

• Options
    ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭✭✭

Courtesy of the Atlanta area Post Office . . . . . . . . . .

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• Options
    SPalladinoSPalladino Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 9, 2021 6:30PM

@Coinnmore said:
    So what is with the X going through it I would figure you would want it without the X? :|:*

After completing their die life, US Mint dies were cancelled by punching an X into the die surface. These were made by Dan using vintage canceled dies supplied to him by their esteemed owners,

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
    - DIVa (Designated Ike Varieties) Project co-lead and attributor
  • Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 9, 2021 5:51PM

@pcgscacgold said:
    Here is the group of 3 (1884-S, 1884-CC and the 1884-S on an uncleaned Morgan). Only got the obverse on these. The reverses are the same as the photo above.

There was an issue with a few of the over-strikes on "uncleaned" 1884-S coins having the wrong insert.
    Yours looks like the correct coin, but from what I can see of the insert under it, it may be the wrong one (I'm not 100% sure, though). If you can post a picture of the entire insert, I will be able to tell if I need to send you the correct one.

• Options

My one regret: I missed out (too late) on getting one of the seventeen minted 50mm 2oz-ers with the 1884 CC cancelled dies - the one with the uninscribed perimeter surfaces that are similar in appearance to the Don Schmitz over-strikes. If you have a "spare", PM me please.

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
  • Options
    pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dcarr said:

@pcgscacgold said:
    Here is the group of 3 (1884-S, 1884-CC and the 1884-S on an uncleaned Morgan). Only got the obverse on these. The reverses are the same as the photo above.

There was an issue with a few of the "uncleaned" over-strikes on 1884-S coins having the wrong insert.
    Yours looks like the correct coin, but from what I can see of the insert under it, it may be the wrong one (I'm not 100% sure, though). If you can post a picture of the entire insert, I will be able to tell if I need to send you the correct one.

Hi @dcarr
    I think we are all set. I had sent you the email regarding that issue. When the 1848-CAL is ready just throw it in with that.
    Thanks.

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,028 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pcgscacgold said:

@dcarr said:

@pcgscacgold said:

There was an issue with a few of the "uncleaned" over-strikes on 1884-S coins having the wrong insert.

Hi @dcarr
    I think we are all set. I had sent you the email regarding that issue. When the 1848-CAL is ready just throw it in with that.
    Thanks.

Right, will do.
    PS:
    I didn't initially connect your forum ID with the email name, but I'm on the correct page now.

• Options

@dcarr said:

@pcgscacgold said:

@dcarr said:

@pcgscacgold said:

Hi @dcarr
    Thanks.

Right, will do.
    PS:
    I didn't initially connect your forum ID with the email name, but I'm on the correct page now.

Sounds good and no rush. As for my ID, this place converted me (though I really like your gold coinage :smiley: ).

• Options

Caveats:
    1) cancelled dies with >100 years of deterioration, so surfaces and devices are very impacted.
    2) I am not a Morgan attributor.

However:
    The 1884-CC cancelled dies, appearing to be a matched pair, with "37" stamped on the shanks of the dies may allow identification of the 1884-CC VAM.
    After looking closely, it may be possible that these could be VAM 10.

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
  • Options

One other little factoid on the Carson City cancelled dies:

These Moonlight Mint pieces were made using a matched pair of cancelled Carson City dies, with "37" stamped on the shanks of the dies.
    The Don Schmitz cancelled die strikes used a cancelled 1884 Carson City obverse die, identified as die "38".

As Dan mentions in his documentation, the two cancelled die 1884 obverses are clearly different, with the “X” cancellations each in a different location.

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
  • Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dcarr said:
    Hello everyone. Thanks for the well wishes. I'm finally getting back to normal work on a limited schedule. I've had this nasty Covid-19 thing twice now (February 2020 and Oct-Nov 2021). I guess that is fitting since I made Covid-19 Hard Times tokens dated 2020 and 2021. I seem to catch all the flu viruses (and similar viruses) that go around. Fortunately, I almost never have anything bacterial. I guess my immune system is tweaked for that. I still have some coughing and generally somewhat tired. But I think I'm over it. I am scheduled for a test this Friday and if it is negative I will finally be able to go out in public again.

Glad to hear it,,,,,,,

Can you give us any hints on upcoming products,,,,,,, I need to know how much of my 401-K I will need to cash out. ;)

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinnmore said:
    So what is with the X going through it I would figure you would want it without the X? :|:*

That's to show it was X rayed B)

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • Options
    Mr Lindy Mr Lindy Posts: 987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 10, 2021 6:18AM

This is other vintage die strike example, easy to determine as hatchet struck the eye. I briefly had one of these when they sold for $300. I just did not like it so I returned it a decade ago. Linked example has been available for a while now...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/384341783079?_trkparms=amclksrc=ITM&aid=111001&algo=REC.SEED&ao=1&asc=20160727114228&meid=ecff1cf8df4e4abfb48b1184db084519&pid=100290&rk=1&rkt=4&sd=384341783079&itm=384341783079&pmt=0&noa=1&pg=2060778&_trksid=p2060778.c100290.m3507

Compare linked example to Daniel's Die Pair where Liberty Eye & Eagle Eye are uncancelled

• Options

It looks like the 1908-S VDB Cents have "poofed" from Dan's website.

Hope you got yours while they were available . . . . . .

Z

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• Options

Lots of stuff archived . . . . . . . .

Z

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 10, 2021 8:55AM

Who has the scoop for where to get a graded 1964 Peace? The BST hasn’t produced any replies yet. Is eBay the best place?

• Options
    COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 10, 2021 1:46PM

@dcarr said:

...There was an issue with a few of the over-strikes on "uncleaned" 1884-S coins having the wrong insert.

Dan,

My "uncleaned" 1884-S arrived today. Please send the correct insert -- I'll PM you to confirm the address.

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• Options

Maybe I missed it: I've looked but couldn't find if the edge-marked (“DIE PAIR 37”) X-cancelled 1884-CC Morgans were ever offered for sale.

These Morgans are described in detail near the bottom of this Production Blog page in the Die Pair 1 section.

70 were minted, so I doubt that Dan is saving them all.

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• Options
    PipestonePetePipestonePete Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options

@dcarr said:

@SPalladino said:
    @Zoins - great article - thank you for it and for making your die available for this production.
    @dcarr - thank you again.

I did not see the seventy 1884 CC cancelled die strikes with the 'die pair 37' edge mark listed separately for sale - were those accounted for by first come, first serve of the main 1884 CC cancelled die strikes offering (along with the 199 without the edge mark), or were they accounted for in some other way?

I have a couple of the edge-marked "DIE PAIR 37" pieces (not to sell).
    The vast majority of them went to the owner of the 1884 & CC dies.
    If I find out they are offering some for sale, I will post that info here.

@COCollector - from October 15.

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
  • Options

@SPalladino said:

@dcarr said:

@SPalladino said:
    @Zoins - great article - thank you for it and for making your die available for this production.
    @dcarr - thank you again.

I did not see the seventy 1884 CC cancelled die strikes with the 'die pair 37' edge mark listed separately for sale - were those accounted for by first come, first serve of the main 1884 CC cancelled die strikes offering (along with the 199 without the edge mark), or were they accounted for in some other way?

I have a couple of the edge-marked "DIE PAIR 37" pieces (not to sell).
    The vast majority of them went to the owner of the 1884 & CC dies.
    If I find out they are offering some for sale, I will post that info here.

>

@COCollector - from October 15.

Good memory. That clears it up. Thanks.

• Options

@COCollector said:

@dcarr said:

...There was an issue with a few of the over-strikes on "uncleaned" 1884-S coins having the wrong insert.

My "uncleaned" 1884-S arrived today. Please send the correct insert -- I'll PM you to confirm the address.

Looks like we were both up early that Thursday. We are probably the only 2 people, outside of Zoins and DCarr, to own this one. Congrats.

• Options

@ZoidMeister said:
    Lots of stuff archived . . . . . . . .

Z

Perhaps he is making room for some newps. I can't wait to see what he dreams up next.

• Options

@pcgscacgold said:

Looks like we were both up early that Thursday. We are probably the only 2 people, outside of Zoins and DCarr, to own this one. Congrats.

Thanks. Mintage only 5, so I feel very lucky. I also got the 1884-CC off-center restrike...

• Options
    CoinnmoreCoinnmore Posts: 161 ✭✭✭

@SPalladino said:

@Coinnmore said:

After completing their die life, US Mint dies were cancelled by punching an X into the die surface. These were made by Dan using vintage canceled dies supplied to him by their esteemed owners,

Thank you for the explaination

• Options

Very nice on the perfect score on the 70 for the Oregon trail. Looks like Dan sold out of them on his site as I just looked.

• Options

@Coinnmore said:
    Very nice on the perfect score on the 70 for the Oregon trail. Looks like Dan sold out of them on his site as I just looked.

He minted over 400 of them in all. There were people that bought 10 or more at a time. Maybe they will share with those that didn't get any.

• Options

@pcgscacgold said:

@Coinnmore said:

He minted over 400 of them in all. There were people that bought 10 or more at a time. Maybe they will share with those that didn't get any.

Thank you found a few on FleaBay! :)

• Options

@ZoidMeister - WOW! Sweet acquisition!

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
  • Options

@ZoidMeister said:
    In the year + that I have been watching and searching for vintage Daniel Carr pieces, this is the first one I have seen come up for sale.

I had to act on it.

Z

Many of those that own DC items hold on forever.

• Options

I had a big arrival day today . . . . .

Z

• Options
    felinfoelfelinfoel Posts: 391 ✭✭✭✭

@felinfoel said:

@ZoidMeister said:
    In the year + that I have been watching and searching for vintage Daniel Carr pieces, this is the first one I have seen come up for sale.

I had to act on it.

Z

I love Dan's Telsa medals. Here's the four-ounce silver:

And nice grab, @ZoidMeister. You have a good eye.

• Options
    edited November 12, 2021 6:12PM

Score !!! From what I understand, & you likely already know, Carr COAs with mintages listed are made prior to his Denver Mint press activation after it's restoration. Back then, his dies were sent away, off site, for striking his coinage art. I own a few from this early era but no Tesla.

Tesla lived here in town back in part of his day. I cannot link you directly, but here's a recent image I shot from a screen from that group for your enjoyment Zoid:

Lindy

@ZoidMeister said:

I had to act on it.

Z

• Options

@robec - your photography and self styled "Trueviews" are beautiful!

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
  • Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SPalladino said:
    @robec - your photography and self styled "Trueviews" are beautiful!

Thank you for those nice words.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 13, 2021 5:34AM

@ZoidMeister said:

Great pick ups! I'm a big fan of these.

Here are some of my recent ones:

• Options
    edited November 13, 2021 5:55AM

Nice Zoins !!!

You likely know this, you bought 3 open house from One of "The Three Amigos"

I bought a few from him in person from his ANACS slab filled boxes & 2x2 Cowens page binders loaded with DC goodies back when he lived in Colorado. He made up some fun stuff, typically all host coins were his & friends. I have sourced some outstanding Carr goodies from two of The Three Amigos.

• Options
    edited November 13, 2021 6:13AM

@LindyS said:
    Nice Zoins !!!

You likely know this, you bought 3 open house from One of "The Three Amigos"

I bought a few from him in person from his ANACS slab filled boxes & 2x2 Cowens page binders loaded with DC goodies back when he lived in Colorado. He made up some fun stuff, typically all host coins were his & friends. I have sourced some outstanding Carr goodies from two of The Three Amigos.

Thanks Lindy! I do know that and @ZoidMeister's 3 new ones are from him as well. I like the creativity on these as they let us see Dan's designs in a variety of ways. It would be great to meet him and buy directly but I haven't had that opportunity yet. I bet he has some great stories! You're lucky!

I've been interested in tracking the provenance of Dan's pieces so I keep track of this myself. Hopefully, we can publish more provenance on Dan's pieces in the future!

I had to pay a premium for this one, but I like how the overstrike is well centered between Lady Liberty's head, the sun and IGWT on this one.

• Options

These are fascinating pieces. I hope to run into an "Amigo" at some point and have the opportunity to acquire a piece or two.

• Options

2016 MMOH is one my all time favorite DC issues.

Here's An Amigo pair housed in earlier release Daniel Carr live signature slabs.

• Options

@pcgscacgold said:
    These are fascinating pieces. I hope to run into an "Amigo" at some point and have the opportunity to acquire a piece or two.

It may not be that easy to meet one, but if you want to acquire a piece, they are just an eBay click away :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file