Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2016 Centennial Gold 1916 coins (16XA, 16XB, 16XC)

Comments

• Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Kudbegud
    Ordered 12:01, email 12:05, first shipped email 4/22 11:24 am, left Memphis tracking email 4/23 3:13 am, expected delivery Monday

How did u get your order in so fast? Any tips u woukd b willing to share or just lucky?

I was on w two computers, very high speed internet started trying at noon exactly and order placed at 12:11. No word on shipping yet as expected.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Raufus
    Originally posted by: BackroadJunkie
    Well, for all my complaining, both of my packages had been picked up, processed through, and have departed the UPS Memphis facility.

Should be in-hand by Tuesday. Five days from order to delivery. That's better than Amazon these days. image

What time did u get that order in?

12:02 (041170xx) and
    12:08 (041222xx)
  • Options
    Originally posted by: HATTRICK
    Here is a conspiracy theory for you. First day sales were 60,000. The mint is holding release of the number so the big boys can get their high priced sales in while everybody is thinking sellout. Early next week they will announce another 65,000 are going on sale.image

No, no, no. 60,000 went out the door to the big boys before sales even started, which is how they got the coins slabbed so fast!

(Reading some of the blogs are fascinatingly... humorous.)

Edit to add: And after the big boys go through the 60K and reject all those that don't grade they way they want, they will return the coins to the mint and *then* they'll go back on sale. Forgot to add that part of the conspiracy...
  • Options
    Originally posted by: CaptHenway
    Some people are calling the issue a fiasco because of the rapid sellout to flippers and telemarketers. Others are calling it a great success because of the rapid sellout. WHat do you think?

I got two orders in, then stopped, because I got my four. If I wanted, I probably could have gotten back into the system and gotten my limit of 10. (Hindsight says I probably should have.)

I just have a hard time believing anyone who was online at noon didn't get an order in. I've even seen a lot of reports that this thing called the telephone actually worked for getting this issue ordered.

For all the people (not necessarily here, well, okay, some of it was here) who crapped on this coin, and to have it sell out so quickly, to me is a success.
  • Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The prices for boxes of 10 sealed pre-sales seem to be drifting into the $2,700 range. Looks like a few on eBay already are available with coins actually in-hand to be shipped out Monday.

I know of no secret to the Mint website. Hit and miss a lot. Plus they seem to make you login again or revise credit card info even when you already have done so ahead of time. That cost me some order time as well.
  • Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ordered 12:01, email 12:05, first shipped email 4/22 11:24 am, left Memphis tracking email 4/23 3:13 am, expected delivery Monday

How did u get your order in so fast? Any tips u woukd b willing to share or just lucky?

I was on w two computers, very high speed internet started trying at noon exactly and order placed at 12:11. No word on shipping yet as expected.

IE, signed in @ 11:40, refreshed on coin page at noon and got "can't read page", back button went to Schedule page, clicked on the coin, the rest went smooth.

My WAG at the key factors for the last couple noon orders:

IE. Chrome hung up. Tried Firefox the next time...hung up. Tried IE next and it went smooth, others reported hang ups. IE on the next...smooth. I went with what worked this time and it did again. Mumbo Jumbo. Kinda like a rabbits foot in my left pocket and argyle socks same as last time.

Sit on the coins page 5 or so minutes before noon

Refresh @ noon ... once only

use the back button if any hold ups, don't refresh again. You could be going to the end of the que when refreshing as you could be seen as a new user. I could be wrong here but it has worked these last couple times so I'm going with the back button.

• Options
    This set of 10 is available on auction for anyone wanting them quick that could not get an order in on the mint site.

Mercury dimes 10 sealed
  • Options

It's because Kudbegud and I were the only ones to show love for the Twain commemorative, so we got to the front of the line. image (Of course, I crapped on the NPS commem, so that might not be true.)

I think the bottom line might be knowing how the web and browsers work. That is, knowing what a particular error or behavior is and how to correct it. Clear your cache if you haven't in a while, and reboot the machine (not the browser, but the OS) just in case you have any stray processes that might interfere. You also have to allow the Mint full access to your machine. (i.e. no java-blockers and allow cookies to be stored.)

At least I think that's the secret, and it's really not a secret, more of a best practice procedure. I've never been shut out of a mint sale, and the only time I've come close was when they had that ridiculous waiting room, and that was because the countdown clock was unreliable.
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The last platinum issue was pretty close to a beat down. But fortunately, I still got through.

These are all good and valid suggestions.
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭✭✭

Same here. My two orders went through right around 12:12et after numerous time-outs and re-boots. image

On another note I expect the household limit on this summer's release of the SLQ to be reduced to 2 pieces. Mintage Limit? Who knows but my guess is 100,000.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When did the first "sold out" or "product unavailable" or whatever notices go up?
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    When did the first "sold out" or "product unavailable" or whatever notices go up?

The issue went to backorder between 12:20 and 12:25, it went to unavailable between 12:40 and 12:45.
  • Options
    I agree with several other earlier posts that the Mint had the 10 HH limit set too high. I like the idea of 2 per household order limits. One to keep, one to sell type of idea. This will cut down on the amazing number of flippers that do not collect for the long term at all.

When 10 at a time are sold, it gets sold out too fast and some real collectors get left out or have to pay extra. I really hope the quarter and half will have a limit of 2, and if there is anything else they can do to improve the site response, that would be a plus. That said, it was better this time for me than a couple years ago.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: TwoSides2aCoin
    T-minus 1 hour ,5 minutes to "sell out" in an hour.

None can say they didn't get ample warning from the start of this thread, from Swampboy.

Thanks for that tip.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Goldminers

I agree with several other earlier posts that the Mint had the 10 HH limit set too high. I like the idea of 2 per household order limits. One to keep, one to sell type of idea. This will cut down on the amazing number of flippers that do not collect for the long term at all.

This could backfire. The big dealers and home shopping networks use a network of buyers all placing orders at the stroke of noon. With a HH limit of 10 they don't need as many separate order placers to secure their numbers. With a HH limit of 2 they will double or triple their minions overwhelming the Mints inadequate server scaling algorithm. Making it harder for us to get in. They could try pre-order reservation but the greedy will always scheme a way to cheat the system.

• Options
    That is a good point and something I did not consider. Maybe there is a mid-point that works best? I hate to say it but greed does seem to be very creative.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Goldminers
    That is a good point and something I did not consider. Maybe there is a mid-point that works best? I hate to say it but greed does seem to be very creative.

Capitalizing on opportunity doesn't necessarily constitute greed in the market for market makers. The catch is : HOW many dealers will buy back what they sell , and for how long ?
  • Options
    It can get out of hand. Remember the gold Kennedy bus loads of buyers? It's distressing when the mints system has problems and a board member brags how he ordered 5 or 10 times the HH limit.

I remember the GSA CC Silver Dollar lottery. You mailed in an order form with a check and if you were picked you got your coin(s). I was lucky to get one.

I don't think the mint can come up with a fool proof method of equal opportunity ordering with out a loop hole for minion ordering.

• Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    At least there weren't any USmint kiosk sales, AMIright?
  • Options
    Originally posted by: epcjimi1

At least there weren't any USmint kiosk sales, AMIright?

Yes you are. Opening day sales should never be available at kiosks, mint gift shops or show booths.

• Options
    goldbuffalogoldbuffalo Posts: 618 ✭✭✭
    Some people are calling the issue a fiasco because of the rapid sellout to flippers and telemarketers. Others are calling it a great success because of the rapid sellout. WHat do you think?

Success.

Great job by the Mint.

Hopefully the next two will be as good.

• Options

The issue went to backorder between 12:20 and 12:25, it went to unavailable between 12:40 and 12:45.

Thanks!
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Paid the extra $20.95 for overnight shipping. Received the tracking number yesterday saying that I'll have my coins in hand Monday morning by 10:30AM. Not exactly next day because they use UPS which doesn't deliver on Saturday. Had they used USPS I would have my coins in hand right now... but to think the government should use the US Mail would be silly, right??
  • Options
    edgaredgar Posts: 886 ✭✭✭✭
    I usually remain silent in agreement on this issue, but feel compelled to speak. The Mint should create and market "collectable coins" for COLLECTORS. I can think of no other reason for a household limit above 2, but to hoard or resell. I would like to see all "limited production" collectable coins have a household limit of no more than 2 for 24 hours.

People in different time zones, work, play or school, travel or rest. limited internet access, network problems, website failures, and many others would be better served with a more even chance at completing an online order.

What purpose does a household limit of 10 serve? How many packages of 10 were posted on Ebay even before order confirmation?

For the record, I have been successful at every attempt from the UHRDE to the Gold Dime. and have acquired as many as i wanted, but never more than household limits.

(l8-)>>

• Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭
    2 of my 5 separate single orders have shipped. 3 have not. The later orders shipped before the earlier orders.

• Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does anyone else remember the good old days when you just mailed your order and check to the mint and waited forever for your mint and proof sets? My how things have changed image
  • Options
    youniqueyounique Posts: 882 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: pf70collector
    2 of my 5 separate single orders have shipped. 3 have not. The later orders shipped before the earlier orders.

Three orders in by 12:12. All cards hit and all orders next day shipping. No evidence of shipping yet. May go with budget 2 week shipping in an effort to receive them sooner next time.

• Options
    Originally posted by: hchcoin
    Does anyone else remember the good old days when you just mailed your order and check to the mint and waited forever for your mint and proof sets? My how things have changed image

Does anyone remember the good ol' days of three years ago when you placed your order, and PBGS would finally ship the coins to you 3 or 4 weeks later? Or when backorders really took 4 months to fill? And we might get final production numbers a year after sales started?

• Options

Yep. Bought the 1968 and 1969 Proof sets that way.
  • Options

Elves at the mint took their thumbs out last night!

Mercury Dime 2016 Centennial Gold Coin

To be released April 21, 2016 @ Noon EST.

Item Number: 16XB

Mintage Limit: 125,000

Product Limit: None

Household Order Limit: 10

Price is not set yet, and will be determined by their pricing schedule, which doesn't have a 24K 1/10 OZT . Currently, a 1/10 OZT ASE proof is $175. I would expect the price to be similar.

What does "Product Limit" mean? Why is it not the same as "Mintage Limit?" Could it mean that they might issue a different "Product," such as a Proof, at a later date, say in a three-coin Proof set?

Didn't they pull something like that with the 2006 20th Anniversary American Eagles?

TD
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does anyone remember the good ol' days of three years ago when you placed your order, and PBGS would finally ship the coins to you 3 or 4 weeks later? Or when backorders really took 4 months to fill? And we might get final production numbers a year after sales started?

Actually Pitney Bowes (PBGS ) was a a fairly recent processor. The one prior to PBGS was even worse...Yes...the "good ole days" when it took 1/2 a year to get your proof sets mailed and they would only accept checks.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options

Price is not set yet, and will be determined by their pricing schedule, which doesn't have a 24K 1/10 OZT . Currently, a 1/10 OZT ASE proof is $175. I would expect the price to be similar.

What does "Product Limit" mean? Why is it not the same as "Mintage Limit?" Could it mean that they might issue a different "Product," such as a Proof, at a later date, say in a three-coin Proof set?

Didn't they pull something like that with the 2006 20th Anniversary American Eagles?

TD

Mintage limit is how many coins can be produced. Product limit seems to be used when there's a special packaging of some sort.

For instance, the three-coin NPS set has a product limit of 15,000. The three coin 2015 MoD silver set had a product limit of 75,000.

So for this issue, they produced 125K dimes, and that's the limit, no more will be produced. As for a proof? Maybe, but the Mint would be pilloried for doing something like that. I doubt it would happen since TreasSec only authorized the business strike version.

As for the Eagles, you're probably thinking of the 2012S Proof ASE, where they were included in the two coin 75th SF mint anniversary set, then the S-Proof was released into the Making American History Coin and Currency Set. Mint got a lot of grief over that, but the mint had never stated the coin would be exclusive to the 75th SF set. They were sure to state that explicitly after that.

Ironically, for all the moaning people did, that 2012S Proof is the second lowest mintage proof ASE, right next to the 1995W.

• Options

TD

As for the Eagles, you're probably thinking of the 2012S Proof ASE, where they were included in the two coin 75th SF mint anniversary set, then the S-Proof was released into the Making American History Coin and Currency Set. Mint got a lot of grief over that, but the mint had never stated the coin would be exclusive to the 75th SF set. They were sure to state that explicitly after that.

Or he's referring to the 2006 2 Coin 20th Anniversary set, One $50 Gold and 1 American Silver Eagle...

The 20th Anniversary Gold Eagle Set was issued by the US Mint to celebrate the 20th Anniversary of the popular gold bullion and collector coin series. Each set contained three coins: the 2006-W Proof Gold Eagle, the 2006-W Uncirculated Gold Eagle, and the 2006-W Reverse Proof Gold Eagle.

The collectible proof and uncirculated coins contained in the set were available in other US Mint product offerings, but the 2006-W Reverse Proof Gold Eagle was unique to the set. It was also the first time that the US Mint had used this type of finish. The raised design elements of the coin are mirrored and the background fields are frosted. This is the reverse of the typical cameo proof finish.

The 20th Anniversary Gold Eagle Sets went on sale at the United States Mint on August 30, 2006. They were priced at $2,610 with an ordering limit of ten sets per household and a maximum production of 10,000. After approximately one month, the sets sold out and strong premiums developed on the secondary market for this unique product.

Separately, the US Mint offered the 20th Anniversary Gold and Silver Eagle Set. This set contained the one ounce 2006-W Uncirculated Silver Eagle and one ounce 2006-W Uncirculated Gold Eagle. This set was priced at $850, with a maximum production of 20,000, and limited to ten sets per household. The entire maximum production was sold after a number of months.

• Options
    I think it was the three-coin set, which contained both the Reverse Proof and the Burnished Uncirculated finishes that were not available elsewhere, and then they loter sold the Burnished Uncirculated coin separately.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Product limit is for the specific product being offered. This may be a single coin or a set that includes that same single coin.

Mintage limit is for the total mintage of a particular coin across all products that include it.

Examples of products are individual coins and coin sets. Individual coins with a mintage limit can appear in multiple products but cannot have a mintage total that exceeds the mintage limit. This can affect the number of offered "sets" after the single coin has sold out. If the gold dime reaches its mintage limit in individual coin sales it will not be offered in subsequent sets unless the mint goes back on its word on the initial mintage limit.

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options
    Originally posted by: JCLIGHTBRIGADE

Or he's referring to the 2006 2 Coin 20th Anniversary set, One $50 Gold and 1 American Silver Eagle...

LOL.

I bought both the 3-coin gold and the ASE/AGE set (plus 10 silver sets) back in 2006, but didn't even know there was a controversy about it since I wasn't hanging around numismatic forums then. image

The three coin set is what actually got me into coin authentication, since I couldn't prove two of those coins (the proof and the burnished) were from the 20th 3-coin set. The RP and burnished eventually graded 70, but only the RP got a 20th label. (The same held true for the silver sets.) Learned my lesson by the time the 25th's came out though.

Back on topic, UPS has confirmed my dimes will be here tomorrow. Will have to stay home to sign for them...
  • Options
    dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭
    Has anyone received thier coins yet? Let's see some scans!!!!
    Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,534 ✭✭✭✭✭
    IIRC, the 2006 3-coin AGE set sold out in about 3 days and at the time, the Mint hadn't told anyone that the Burnished coin was going to be included in any other sets. The common misconception at the time was that both the Reverse Proof and the Burnished coins would both have a limited mintage of 10,000. When the Mint released the 2-coin Gold & Silver set, that diminished the desireability of the Burnished coin considerably.

I don't quite remember when the Mint announced the 4-coin Burnished Gold sets, but that also added to the total mintage of the 2006-W Burnished Gold Eagle as well.

2006 was when the distinction between "product limit" and "mintage limit" became apparent. The Gold Eagle Anniversary Set had a product limit of 10,000. The 2006-W Reverse Proof Gold Eagle also had a product limit and a mintage limit of 10,000 but the Burnished and Proof 2006-W Gold Eagles had much higher product limits and mintage limits because they weren't exclusive to the Gold Anniversary Set as was the 2006-W Reverse Proof Gold Eagle.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    Yep, sold out. Seems to be a couple thousand before it's totally gone, time to start checking the site at 7:30am... image
    Date Desc Number sold Net Increase
    4/24/2016 2016 MERCURY DIME 24K GOLD .1OZ (16XB) 122,510 122,510
    Edit to put data into table
  • Options
    2ltdjorn2ltdjorn Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭
    seeing strong sales on Ebay...
    WTB... errors, New Orleans gold, and circulated 20th key date coins!
  • Options
    Couldn't keep my box sealed up... they look nicer in hand than I thought they would. Sure the details are a little softer than an old silver Mercury Dime, but it's still nice. Also, I was concerned that the diameter of the gold not matching the silver coin would be a major issue, but I can hardly tell they are smaller than a silver Mercury Dime, so I don't see that being a big issue anymore.

Had to take a few quick shots for fun too image

• Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭✭✭
    very cool. i guess you actually got next day shipping unlike some of the rest of us who paid for it.
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,917 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like it! image
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    me likes it
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    OnedollarnohollarOnedollarnohollar Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭
    my order is still "processing" credit card hit same day order went through at 12:06 ... fifth day after purchase....basic shipping, not next day but I see from others that paying next day didn't help expediting their shipment. guess I'm just being impatient. just anxious to see them in hand.
  • Options
    if there is a FB strike out there, it's going for big $
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Onedollarnohollar

my order is still "processing" credit card hit same day order went through at 12:06 ... fifth day after purchase....basic shipping, not next day but I see from others that paying next day didn't help expediting their shipment. guess I'm just being impatient. just anxious to see them in hand.

me 2, but i had next day. i would have expected to have the dimes by now. isn't that what next day shipping is? order thursday, ship friday, receive monday. it may seem impatient, but why pay for the next day?
  • Options
    Originally posted by: steveben
    Originally posted by: Onedollarnohollar

me 2, but i had next day. i would have expected to have the dimes by now. isn't that what next day shipping is? order thursday, ship friday, receive monday. it may seem impatient, but why pay for the next day?

When I ordered and paid the extra $20 or so for next day, I was ordering on a Thursday and sort of thinking they would ship that day and I'd have the coins Friday. Never upgraded to next day before, so maybe that was too much to expect. But if I paid for next day at just about any other online retailer, that is they way it would work on an order placed earlier in the day like this.

Then when I saw it shipped out the next day, I was then thinking I'd have the coins on Saturday. But of course the Mint used UPS which doesn't deliver on Saturday (unless you pay a ton). Had they used USPS Priority Express, Saturday delivery would have happened at no additional charge. Shouldn't the US Mint be using USPS anyways where at all possible??

Even though next day really wasn't next day... I will not complain to the Mint about it as it at least seems I got my coins on the first day that others got theirs. That's all I really wanted as if I don't upgrade my orders with the Mint they always use FedEx smartpost with me and that takes well over a week to get to me in SoCal!

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the pics illini420. Glad you got yours today. My 12:12et orders haven't even shipped yet. image
  • Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The mint's shipping makes no sense at all. It should be first ordered, first shipped. If you pay for expedited shipping, it should just be a faster method, not shipping sooner. I have some of the first order numbers I've seen and I am still waiting for shipping conf. I am selling one box to a big dealer, and he said the shipping numbers he has seen have been on the later orders... which is dumb dumb dumb.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file