Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2016 Centennial Gold 1916 coins (16XA, 16XB, 16XC)

BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
Coinworld reporting from the ANA. Hype for next year! image
Centennial 1916 coins

Jeppson said Aug. 11 that he planned to send a letter “this week” to Treasury Secretary Jacob Lew seeking approval to move ahead with plans to produce in 2016 centennial versions of the Winged Liberty Head dime, Standing Liberty quarter dollar and Walking Liberty half dollar in .9999 fine gold.

The dime would be a tenth-ounce coin, the quarter dollar a quarter-ounce piece and the half dollar a half-ounce coin.

All three coins were originally struck for circulation in an alloy of 90 percent silver and 10 percent copper. Jeppson said the approval process could take two months. Many of the coin matters under Lew’s authority have been delegated to Deputy Treasury Secretary Sarah Bloom Raskin.

Jeppson and Jon Cameron, acting associate director of sales and marketing for the Mint, said Mint officials are looking at various possibilities of surface finishes for use on the three coins, as well as packaging options.
There is also a possiblility of a palladium bullion coin next year.

Comments

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seven minute sell out.

The entertainment can never be overdressed....except in burlesque

• Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,708 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Seven second sell out. >>

yep!
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,678 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Seven second sell out. >>

yep! >>

Depends on how many sets they make. I'm still waiting for the 2015 HR American Liberty gold coin to sell out.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What if they made them in silver too, extending the sets?
  • Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pass.
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,050 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What if they made them in silver too, extending the sets? >>

...then I would jump on board. This would be a great opportunity for the mint to pull their head out of the sand and have a "made to order" set, instead of a miniscule mintage, at least 52,000 like the 1916 SLQ was minted.

Just a dumb idea making them in gold instead of the original .900 silver.

Issued in gold?...pass.
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>What if they made them in silver too, extending the sets? >>

...then I would jump on board. This would be a great opportunity for the mint to pull their head out of the sand and have a "made to order" set, instead of a miniscule mintage, at least 52,000 like the 1916 SLQ was minted.

Just a dumb idea making them in gold instead of the original .900 silver.

Issued in gold?...pass. >>

The mint has special dispensation to create coins in gold. They just need TreasSec to sign off on it.

Silver's another matter. They can create silver medals, but not coins. I believe that still requires an act of congress.

That's why the Au 2015 HR is a coin, and the silver version was to be a medal.
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,717 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about CLAD. Full substitution of "regular" designs for the year. Put the wheat ears back on the cent and restrike the exact buffalo nickel. Gold strikes are useless flipper material lost to the general public.
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,050 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>How about CLAD. Full substitution of "regular" designs for the year. Put the wheat ears back on the cent and restrike the exact buffalo nickel. Gold strikes are useless flipper material lost to the general public. >>

I would support this idea!
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can be sure that if there is a way to carry out a program that will abuse their customer base, the Mint is the right organization for the job.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

<< <i>You can be sure that if there is a way to carry out a program that will abuse their customer base, the Mint is the right organization for the job. >>

If the mintage limit is high enough there should be enough for everyone that wants one at the mint's usual grossly high prices. Think of the gold Kennedy and the HR American Liberty.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,091 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another reason to ignore all ultra-modern NCLT issues.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Au contraire! That's when it starts to get interesting, as long as you don't take it personally.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭✭✭
    grand more junk to deal with from the mint
  • Options

<< <i>grand more junk to deal with from the mint >>

You don't have to "deal with" this "junk". The mint is not forcing you or anyone else to buy it.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,648 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pass.

I grew up with the JFK half dollar, so I wanted that one. With bunch I'd rather have the real thing in Proof if that was made, or a Standing Liberty quarter with a full head since the Proof is pretty much impossible.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    pass.
  • Options

<< <i>How about CLAD. Full substitution of "regular" designs for the year. Put the wheat ears back on the cent and restrike the exact buffalo nickel. >>

Only if they were put in circulation image
  • Options
    The US Mint released a press release today. Looks like these got the green light...

United States Mint Moves Forward with Plans to Commemorate 100th Anniversary of Three Iconic Coin Designs

WASHINGTON - The United States Mint announced today that it will strike and issue coins to commemorate the 100th anniversary of three iconic coin designs first issued in 1916: the "Winged Liberty" dime, "Standing Liberty" quarter, and "Walking Liberty" half-dollar. All three coins will be manufactured from .9999 fine, 24-karat gold.

and more to the point,

Details about mintage levels, on-sale dates, and pricing will be announced next year.
  • Options
    Booger9989Booger9989 Posts: 406 ✭✭✭
    Time to get a few more po boxes.....

Should be in 90 percent. ..
    Positive BST Deals as a seller : Wondercoin, Chumlee, Jerster, Perry Hall , DMarks, MWK, drewsef, SoCalBigMark, Lakesammman, Nurmaler
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would really rather have them in proof silver..... full size... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Time to tackle the tough questions, such as:

Will there be a discount for rolls?

If the gold value drops below face value, can they be spent?

Will the date wear off easily on the Standing Liberty quarters?

Will complete sets still be complete without them?

These important topics should occupy our time until the gold 2021 Peace dollars are announced! image

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    winkywinky Posts: 1,671
    Car makers are making reproduction cars. So my thought is to make all of them including the Buffalo and producing 300 trillion of each for circulation.
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    The problem of issuing them in silver was addressed in another thread.

The Treasuary can issue gold coins under current law, but silver coins requires an act of Congress.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: TopographicOceans
    The Treasuary can issue gold coins under current law, but silver coins requires an act of Congress.

What about platinum? It looks more like silver and (at the moment) is way cheaper than gold.

• Options
    I came across this article accidentally on Coin World, from Nov 2015.

Mint projects potential sales for 2016 centennial coins in gold

Mint officials are projecting sales based on analysis of sales for two recent special gold coins.

Jurkowsky said that in 2014, the Mint sold 64,305 of the 24-karat gold Proof 1964–2014-W 50th Anniversary John F. Kennedy half dollar, generating $76.2 million in revenue. In 2013, the Mint sold 43,800 Reverse Proof 2013-W American Buffalo gold $50 coins, generating $49.9 million in revenue.

Based on the sales performance of those two numismatic products, U.S. Mint official estimate sales for the three 2016 24-karat gold 100th anniversary coins could reach between 145,000 and 225,000 units combined, Jurkowsky said. Those sales represent potential sales revenue of between $54 million and $119 million at prevailing gold prices, he said.

Couple things about this. First, the mint does project sales based on past products, which would explain the 17K Truman/Hoover C&C fiasco.

Second, from the tone of these statements, there probably won't be a mintage limit, or like the Kennedy, an unattainable high mintage. But it would be amazing if they could move 225K coins...
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It will be interesting to watch the flipping frenzy though....Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    Could we possibly get a reconfiguration on the Gold required for this series of Coins?

option #1 - an alloy of 10% Gold and 90% Silver

option #2 - a Clad Gold Coin ( Gold inner core, clad in Silver )
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

I would like a three coin set in .999 Silver in Matte Proof

but, I'll pass on Gold. Senseless to tie up that money for Gold.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Second, from the tone of these statements, there probably won't be a mintage limit, or like the Kennedy, an unattainable high mintage. But it would be amazing if they could move 225K coins...

That could easily come to pass because the individual prices of each of the three coins will likely be lower than the price of the Kennedy. The WL half will have 1/2 ounce of gold, compared to 3/4 ounce for the Kennedy. The quarter and dime will have 1/4 ounce and 1/10 ounce respectively. Given the Mint's normal markup on gold, all three coins should see robust sales, especially the dime.

• Options
    A few items on the mint site got moved from TBD to a real release date. Among them was the Mercury Dime 2016 Centennial Gold Coin (16XB), to be released April 21, six weeks from now.

The other two coins are still TBD. The coin's web page is still clueless, so they may be in the middle of an update. The Dime placeholder page:

Mercury Dime 2016 Centennial Gold Coin (16XB)

It might be a while before we get real images, they don't even have the NPS commem pages set up yet, which goes on sale in 2.5 weeks...
  • Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good catch. Thanx

• Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These will be spectacular. Can't wait to see them.
  • Options
    Weather11amWeather11am Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭
    My guess would be minted to demand... that's pure speculation though.
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Debating how hard to try to get the day off. Hope that mintage limits are announced soon. If there are limits and they seem low relative to the likely high demand it will certainly be worth the day off to be at the puter.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    There was a short blurb from Coin World on the centennial gold dimes. Nothing really new in the article, except they say West Point is done pressing the coins, and the size:

The dime's diameter will be 16.5 millimeters, or 0.65-inch. The thickness will be 1.19 millimeters or 0.047-inch and the coin will exhibit a reeded edge.

It will also have a circulation stike finish. I am disappointed that there's no mention of mintage or household limits.

2016-W Winged Liberty Head Centennial gold dime for sale April 21

Thank goodness I have no desire to buy the NPS commems. My nickels are going to the centennial gold... ;-)
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Overdate

What about platinum? It looks more like silver and (at the moment) is way cheaper than gold.

Why not palladium? Same color but a lot cheaper.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: CaptHenway

Originally posted by: Overdate

Why not palladium? Same color but a lot cheaper.

Agreed

• Options
    youniqueyounique Posts: 882 ✭✭✭
    Looks like the Mercury Dime placeholder & release date disappeared from the product schedule. Searching for & clicking on the Dime shows N/A. Mint playing with this offering?
  • Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: younique
    Looks like the Mercury Dime placeholder & release date disappeared from the product schedule. Searching for & clicking on the Dime shows N/A. Mint playing with this offering?

More like the USMint screwed up updating it's listing, coincidental to the US Parks release.

So what else is new. LOL

USMint gold dime release for Apr 21?, I'd say it's on.

MHO, then again it's the USMint
  • Options
    youniqueyounique Posts: 882 ✭✭✭
    Back on the schedule for the 21st. Guess it may happen after all.
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭
    So there will probably be proof like versions of these.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: pf70collector
    So there will probably be proof like versions of these.

Business strike only, I believe.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,648 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If these coins are minted to demand, that would be great for collectors. If it's a "seven minute sellout" as some suggested in the earlier postings, I'm doubly glad my interest in these coins is very low.

The baseball fiasco and the Truman and JFK dollar set distribution left me totally turned off and disinterested in those mint products. If the mint is going to play distribution games, especially with the collectors who have bought coins from it for years, the mint can shove it.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pass...

I no longer let the mint suck me into their modern crap scam.

Cheers

Bob
  • Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    Look's like this will not be a mint to demand coin. See Coin World quote below indicating that West Point has ENDED its production run

Coin World states:

The dime will have a circulation-strike finish and bear on its reverse the W Mint mark of the West Point Mint where the coins are being struck. As of March 9, the West Point Mint was near the end of its scheduled production for the gold dime.

• Options
    Interesting. Could these be instant sellouts then?
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,594 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting that these will be released individually instead of as a set. Any idea of what the HH limit will be?

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    I was going to say 50,000......but they will probably kick out 100,000 or more.......who knows

But the interesting thing is that West Point has ENDED production of the gold dime per CW. This means no open mintage.
  • Options
    HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    the Mint sold 64,305 of the 24-karat gold Proof 1964–2014-W 50th Anniversary John F. Kennedy half dollar, generating $76.2 million in revenue. In 2013, the Mint sold 43,800 Reverse Proof 2013-W American Buffalo gold $50 coins, generating $49.9 million in revenue.

Based on the sales performance of those two numismatic products, U.S. Mint official estimate sales for the three 2016 24-karat gold 100th anniversary coins could reach between 145,000 and 225,000 units combined,

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file