Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2016 Centennial Gold 1916 coins (16XA, 16XB, 16XC)

Comments

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,043 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does anyone have them in hand, yet ? I see a lot of them have already sold on eBay. Got my order in today. Curious on delivery time and how PCGS already has them graded on eBay. Is there a secret handshake or some _ _ _ _ going on behind closed doors ?
  • Options
    Originally posted by: TwoSides2aCoin
    Does anyone have them in hand, yet ? I see a lot of them have already sold on eBay. Got my order in today. Curious on delivery time and how PCGS already has them graded on eBay. Is there a secret handshake or some _ _ _ _ going on behind closed doors ?

Those B presales,..
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭
    Coin Vault is selling the NGC SP70s for $349 and OGP for $299. Silvertown's is $399.

Seems reasonable.
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From the image, these have no central bands. They must have copied the design off of a 1945.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: greghansen

Credit card just got hit on first of my 3 orders (2 each)

Same here. Orders confirmed and credit card hit for both orders. Still listed as "Processing" though.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,043 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks JCLightBrigade. A couple of the already ended auctions were my gauge on eBay , and for that question. I hadn't noticed if they were , in fact, pre sales. I see this now. So there's a BET that some will get the grade of 70. That's too much risk for a Presale, for me.
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Was browsing eBay way too late this evening and came across the first pics of what look to be the actual coin. Looks much better than I thought it would:

• Options
    chiefbobchiefbob Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭
    Any plans for PCGS to offer a triple holder of all three gold centennials? That would make a nice set of three in lieu of the Mint not offering one.

I ordered at 12:01 yesterday, took ten minutes to go through as I kept getting a "secure connection lost as page was loading" when I clicked "submit". But, my order for two finally went through and my cc is pinged for the order.
    Retired Air Force 1965-2000
    Vietnam Vet 1968-1969
  • Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: BackroadJunkie
    The mint has released a statement that it'll announce first day sales tomorrow morning...

Lies! image

No numbers, but they did release a statement that the coin will be

currently unavailable until all order reconciliations and order cancellations have been processed.

I wonder if they really know. image
  • Options
    Originally posted by: illini420
    Was browsing eBay way too late this evening and came across the first pics of what look to be the actual coin. Looks much better than I thought it would:

That's the coin that was at the Baltimore show, yes?

I'm not sure anyone has these in hand yet...
  • Options
    goldbuffalogoldbuffalo Posts: 618 ✭✭✭
    The mint has released a statement that it'll announce first day sales tomorrow morning...

Lies! image

currently unavailable until all order reconciliations and order cancellations have been processed.

My guess is:

• Options
    One just sold at auction for $305 on the bay !!!

presale.

• Options
    kookoox10kookoox10 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭
    You know how tricky the mint can be. With that being said, I wonder if out of all the dies used to strike these, that maybe they had one run with actual full split bands on them. That might raise the excitement level a notch, especially for the grading fanatics.
  • Options
    Just got a shipping notice.

Shipment Summary
    Dear ,
    Thank you for shopping at the United States Mint. Your recent order has now shipped.

• Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Totally called this earlier. Not sure why folks were shocked by the sellout. Classic design, lower mintage, decent price point making them affordable for a wider range of collectors, and attractively packaged. Total no brainer. The SL quarter and WL half issues should follow suit although perhaps not as quickly given the higher prices- particularly the walker.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

Baltimore show Mint display coin I assume.

Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    Originally posted by: goldbuffalo

Shipment Summary
    Dear ,
    Thank you for shopping at the United States Mint. Your recent order has now shipped.

Did u get expedited shipping?

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: telephoto1
    Totally called this earlier. Not sure why folks were shocked by the sellout. Classic design, lower mintage, decent price point making them affordable for a wider range of collectors, and attractively packaged. Total no brainer. The SL quarter and WL half issues should follow suit although perhaps not as quickly given the higher prices- particularly the walker.

All true Tele....

And, how many times has this happened? A gold Mercury?

More than one?!

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

I also got shipping notice for my single order. Standard shipping.

There still is time to make the promised announcement about sales yesterday before I call them out for missing another opportunity to excel.

These photos show an actual gold dime unlike the mint artist rendition drawings previously claimed by a mint spokesman as real photographs. It was obvious the truth was being stretched. These photos are the nail in the coffin. There was no luster to be seen in the flat homogeneous drawings.

And BTW, I made a milestone. 1600 posts. image

• Options
    Originally posted by: Raufus

Shipment Summary
    Dear ,

Did u get expedited shipping?

No special shipping.

This is a PO Box.

I split the 10 coins into 3 orders. Only one shipped so far.

0412****

12:09pm time received email confirmation.

• Options

Lies! image

My guess is:

125,000 would be good. 130,000 might be problematic. image
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Raufus

Baltimore show Mint display coin I assume.

Yep. The mint had one there. The other photos of it I've seen are all on that black background, so I assume it was the display coin.

Edit to add: No tracking numbers yet for either order. image
  • Options
    Maybe someone with skills could post pics of the NGC and PCGS slabs as I believe the PCGS are MUCH more attractive.

MCM just sent me an email with the NGC offers. If I wanted a graded version the decision would be very easy.
  • Options
    PCGS seems to have pulled their large image, but the small one is still there:

PCGS: 100th Anniversary of the Mercury Dime Label

NGC's labels, but the coin designations are wrong.

NGC: NGC Labels for 100th Anniversary Gold Coins

• Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭✭✭
    my order is 04117xxx

i paid for next day, my credit card is pinged...but it still says processing?
  • Options
    Thank you, BackroadJunkie. for posting the pics!
  • Options
    I just got 2 email from the mint that 2 orders shipped, here is the last oder # USM04124xxx I placed my other earlier order are still processing.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: steveben
    my order is 04117xxx

Same. You would think the mint would ship the expedited orders first, but this is the mint we are talking about.
  • Options
    youniqueyounique Posts: 882 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: phantom1701
    my order is 04117xxx

Same. You would think the mint would ship the expedited orders first, but this is the mint we are talking about.

Same. Last next day order was pinged on card on order date but did not ship for 4 business days. Called on day 3 & was told "ordered on Thursday - takes up to 48 business hours to process so Friday & Monday processing." When asked why its Tuesday night (day 3) & no ship yet, had no answer. Shipped on Wednesday, received Thursday one week later.

This is how the US Mint rolls. Received after some non-expedited shipping orders were already received by others.

Not holding my breath for this order to ship # 04123xxx

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't know if it's been posted, but CoinNews Dot Net's take on the fast sell out.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options

Here's a picture of one on eBay with full bands. Is it a doctored photo or will some have full bands?

******CLICK******
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: IwasAgentjim007

Here's a picture of one on eBay with full bands. Is it a doctored photo or will some have full bands?

******CLICK******

No, that's a stolen mock-up.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: MilesWaits

Maybe someone with skills could post pics of the NGC and PCGS slabs as I believe the PCGS are MUCH more attractive.

MCM just sent me an email with the NGC offers. If I wanted a graded version the decision would be very easy.

Don't understand MCM's pricing the SP69s only ~$60 less than the SP70s? $340 vs $400.

And the SP designation is unusual as well.

• Options
    edgaredgar Posts: 886 ✭✭✭✭
    Order USM04132700 at 12:15 EDT and Order USM04133887 at 12:17 EDT both single item orders, have shipped!
    both tracking numbers are smartpost (fedex) numbers

(l8-)>>

• Options
    123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    Coins shipped today
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,382 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options
    Originally posted by: phantom1701
    my order is 04117xxx

Technically, all the orders are expedited, since the product is a precious metal. --corrected, PM's only get upgraded to expedited if standard shipping is selected, not budget. However, orders of two or more will get upgraded to expedited regardless of shipping choice. --

The only difference between expedited and next day is the shipping method. Both will probably get filled (prior to shipping) on the same basis.

What's getting me is my 12:02 (041170xx) and 12:08 (041222xx) order hasn't gotten a ship number yet, but later orders have. Probably doesn't make any difference in the grand scheme of how UPS will receive the packages from the mint, but hey, it's the principle of the thing. image

Edited to update: Got a ship number for my 12:08 order, but not my 12:02 order...
  • Options
    youniqueyounique Posts: 882 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: derryb

This oughta drive the label collectors crazy. . .

19 different labels for one coin from one TPG alone

Geeez! Labelmania
  • Options

cough.

Mine aren't going in unless they're particularly shiny...
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

I might bite for a slabbed one when the price drops back below $250. Prefer a PCGS SP69 First Strike, flag label.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    Well, for all my complaining, both of my packages had been picked up, processed through, and have departed the UPS Memphis facility.

Should be in-hand by Tuesday. Five days from order to delivery. That's better than Amazon these days. image
  • Options
    Well, for all my complaining, both of my packages had been picked up, processed through, and have departed the UPS Memphis facility.

Should be in-hand by Tuesday. Five days from order to delivery. That's better than Amazon these days. image

What time did u get that order in?
  • Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ordered 12:01, email 12:05, first shipped email 4/22 11:24 am, left Memphis tracking email 4/23 3:13 am, expected delivery Monday

• Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭✭
    I find it amazing how inept the Mgmt. is at the Mint. They could have sold 2x the mintage offered. And now they can't figure out how many they sold the first day? Unbelievable. If they weren't a monopoly they'd have been out of business years ago!
  • Options
    HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is a conspiracy theory for you. First day sales were 60,000. The mint is holding release of the number so the big boys can get their high priced sales in while everybody is thinking sellout. Early next week they will announce another 65,000 are going on sale.image
    " If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: younique

Originally posted by: derryb

This oughta drive the label collectors crazy. . .

19 different labels for one coin from one TPG alone

Geeez! Labelmania

How many here would be willing to pay $500 extra if PCGS could be coaxed into declaring your coin as the first one graded?
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,764 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some people are calling the issue a fiasco because of the rapid sellout to flippers and telemarketers. Others are calling it a great success because of the rapid sellout. WHat do you think?
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: CaptHenway

Some people are calling the issue a fiasco because of the rapid sellout to flippers and telemarketers. Others are calling it a great success because of the rapid sellout. WHat do you think?

I think it should have been highly predictable. A classic, well-loved design that was rendered fairly well, minted in gold and sold at a price point that left the door open for an enormous number of folks to enter the market was then produced in relatively low enough numbers and high enough household limits such that not all that many orders needed to be placed to wipe out inventory.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am going with fiasco. There are 357 sold listings on eBay for 2016 mercury gold dimes including a large percentage of 10 coin lots. Now there are still 438 current for sale listings on eBay including dozens of 10 coins per box listings. Not counting the other dealers, telemarketers, etc.

This might even be worse than the gold Kennedy's as far as final value. I suspect many will lose money as eBay charges 10% and when that is factored, many may not even get their money back.

I call it a flip-flop.

I will buy one MS70 or SP70 (not sure what it will be called) PCGS coin for my collection after the pixie dust settles.
  • Options

More of a fiasco. HH limit too high. Issues w Mint web site are maddening. Just being able to get in order in was a matter of luck.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file